You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

IFHE changes

24 comments in this topic

Members
3,354 posts
17,047 battles

Just finished a battle with my Smolensk. Out of 290 hits I set 0 (zero) fires. I usually set a minimum of 10. I have the IFHE skill. Did recent changes nerf my fire chance to oblivion?    

Edited by STINKWEED_

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

I didn't know it went live...  I thought it was still being tested

Edited by kishan99

[CVA16]
Members
5,870 posts
18,060 battles

I think it is still in testing. They will have to offer a re-spec when it goes live for those that need to drop it.

For the OP. RNG can play hell with fires. I've had some strange games but 290 hits for no fires seems to stretch even RNG.

Likely contributors:

Target was already on fire from somebody else

You did something to really piss-off RNG

You hit the '2' key and were shooting AP:Smile_trollface:

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,313 posts
17,497 battles

What is this IHFS you speak of?

9 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Just finished a battle with my Smolensk. Out of 290 hits I set 0 (zero) fires. I usually set a minimum of 10. I have the IFHS skill. Did recent changes nerf my fire chance to oblivion?    

Members
3,354 posts
17,047 battles
2 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I think it is still in testing. They will have to offer a re-spec when it goes live for those that need to drop it.

For the OP. RNG can play hell with fires. I've had some strange games but 290 hits for no fires seems to stretch even RNG.

Likely contributors:

Target was already on fire from somebody else

You did something to really piss-off RNG

You hit the '2' key and were shooting AP:Smile_trollface:

I must have pissed off the RNG Gods for sure!   

Members
3,354 posts
17,047 battles
3 minutes ago, paradat said:

What is this IHFS you speak of?

My bad. I meant to write IHFE. I just came back from vacation. All that sun and nice weather has effected my brain.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,313 posts
17,497 battles
Just now, STINKWEED_ said:

My bad. I meant to write IHFE. I just came back from vacation. All that sun and nice weather has effected my brain.

No worries, so yeah the new fire penalty is a big deal. 

[WOLFG]
Members
31,304 posts
9,617 battles
2 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

You mean you meant to write IFHE?

:Smile_teethhappy:

I'm mocking you BECAUSE you just came back from somewhere nice and sunny. Jerk. 

Lol j/k

[WOLFG]
Members
31,304 posts
9,617 battles
3 minutes ago, paradat said:

No worries, so yeah the new fire penalty is a big deal. 

It depends. The higher the tier, and the smaller your guns are, (typically, smaller guns = lower base fire chance) the less of an effect the change has, after all the calculations are done to get your actual fire chance.

Members
3,354 posts
17,047 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

You mean you meant to write IFHE?

:Smile_teethhappy:

I'm mocking you BECAUSE you just came back from somewhere nice and sunny. Jerk. 

Lol j/k

Zihuatanejo, Mexico. It was so bohemian. Sunny and 85f every day. Beautiful white sand powder beach..... and then I come back to Canada and my brain goes boom!  

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,313 posts
17,497 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

It depends. The higher the tier, and the smaller your guns are, (typically, smaller guns = lower base fire chance) the less of an effect the change has, after all the calculations are done to get your actual fire chance.

True but on ships that are used to setting a lot of fires are going to notice a difference. 

Members
156 posts
2,940 battles

I've been learning to play without IFHE in anticipation for the changes. For DDs, I think the Japanese 100mm take the largest hit. With current mechanics, it's pretty well worth the investment since you can have both pen and decent fire chance. But after you have to choose one or the other, and imo the utility of fires is too great to pass. Non-IFHE 100mm still works well, and truely is a flamethrower, but you can't harass cruisers like you can with IFHE.

I never saw need to run IFHE on the Russian 130mm. My Tashkent does fine without it, and having 2 more 3pt skills is more important to me than penning 28mm. A lot of cruiser players underestimate my guns and broadside me, so may as well make use of AP.

Members
3,354 posts
17,047 battles
3 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

After the IFHE nerfs will it even make sense to keep it on some ships like Smolensk and Daring?

[WOLFG]
Members
31,304 posts
9,617 battles
28 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Zihuatanejo, Mexico. It was so bohemian. Sunny and 85f every day. Beautiful white sand powder beach..... and then I come back to Canada and my brain goes boom!  

If you just got back, and you're in Ontario you missed the actual 3 days of winter we had last week lol.

[POP]
Members
4,748 posts
12,813 battles

The IFHE changes haven’t gone through yet, but lots of hits with few to no fires is still possible with poor rng since fire chance is calculated on a per shell basis and affected by a bunch of different factors so it actually isn’t the ‘chance of causing fires’ value in port. 

13 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

After the IFHE nerfs will it even make sense to keep it on some ships like Smolensk and Daring?

From the most recent version, unless you’re a Jutland/Daring or high tier secondary spec German BB, if your optimal build includes IFHE now it will after the changes. Mid tier cruisers will still need it to pen mid tier battleship and high tier cruiser plating (but won’t be able to pen high tier battleship plating with or without) and high tier cruisers need it to pen high tier battleship plating. Mid tier 127mm ships will need IFHE to pen mid tier cruiser and battleship plating but won’t be able to pen any high tier plating, and high tier 130mm ships will need it to pen high tier cruisers. 

Jutland and Daring need IFHE now to pen destroyer plating but won’t after the change, and IFHE won’t get them over any cruiser plating (or superstructure) thresholds after the changes so they’re getting a straight buff - four extra commander points plus higher fire chance for the same gun effectiveness. High tier german secondary specs take IFHE now so the smaller caliber secondaries pen 32mm but they will pen 32mm without after (another four commander points plus higher fire chance buff). 

Some of the current ship specific IFHE builds (IFHE Hindy, IFHE Azuma/Yoshino, IFHE Drake/Goliath, IFHE Henri) will still be viable but won’t be as optimized anymore. Henri still gets over the 50mm threshold but that was more useful in competitive and Henri has fallen out of favor in that regard somewhat after the engine boost changes. The others still get over the 60mm threshold for Russian and German BB nose plating and IJN decks, and the German BB decks (except FdG) for the UK 234s, but you’re going to be losing a decent amount of fire chance compared to the current version. 

[WOLFG]
Members
31,304 posts
9,617 battles
26 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I just did some calcs for Smolensk.

Assuming a T10 target with DCM1, and no bonus fire chance signals on Smolensk, I came up with:

Base: 3.8%

DE: 4.8% 

IFHE: 3.3% (now) 1.9% (after)

IFHE + DE: 4.3% (now) 2.9% (after)

So the percentage differences are still significant, but the actual differences are less than they appear at first glance.

Members
3,354 posts
17,047 battles
2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

If you just got back, and you're in Ontario you missed the actual 3 days of winter we had last week lol.

Yup, just missed it! Otherwise I would have been stuck at the resort for another two days. Could you imagine that horror?

Members
3,354 posts
17,047 battles
2 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

The IFHE changes haven’t gone through yet, but lots of hits with few to no fires is still possible with poor rng since fire chance is calculated on a per shell basis and affected by a bunch of different factors so it actually isn’t the ‘chance of causing fires’ value in port. 

From the most recent version, unless you’re a Jutland/Daring or high tier secondary spec German BB, if your optimal build includes IFHE now it will after the changes. Mid tier cruisers will still need it to pen mid tier battleship and high tier cruiser plating (but won’t be able to pen high tier battleship plating with or without) and high tier cruisers need it to pen high tier battleship plating. Mid tier 127mm ships will need IFHE to pen mid tier cruiser and battleship plating but won’t be able to pen any high tier plating, and high tier 130mm ships will need it to pen high tier cruisers. 

Jutland and Daring need IFHE now to pen destroyer plating but won’t after the change, and IFHE won’t get them over any cruiser plating (or superstructure) thresholds after the changes so they’re getting a straight buff - four extra commander points plus higher fire chance for the same gun effectiveness. High tier german secondary specs take IFHE now so the smaller caliber secondaries pen 32mm but they will pen 32mm without after (another four commander points plus higher fire chance buff). 

Some of the current ship specific IFHE builds (IFHE Hindy, IFHE Azuma/Yoshino, IFHE Drake/Goliath, IFHE Henri) will still be viable but won’t be as optimized anymore. Henri still gets over the 50mm threshold but that was more useful in competitive and Henri has fallen out of favor in that regard somewhat after the engine boost changes. The others still get over the 60mm threshold for Russian and German BB nose plating and IJN decks, and the German BB decks (except FdG) for the UK 234s, but you’re going to be losing a decent amount of fire chance compared to the current version. 

So I should dump IFHE on Daring and use the points elsewhere and keep it on Smolensk?  

[WORX]
Members
11,933 posts
19,479 battles
3 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Just finished a battle with my Smolensk. Out of 290 hits I set 0 (zero) fires. I usually set a minimum of 10. I have the IFHE skill. Did recent changes nerf my fire chance to oblivion?    

Changes dont go into affect until next patch... CL are the worst off ship.. While Heavy cruisers and BBs stand must to benefit...

[POP]
Members
4,748 posts
12,813 battles
23 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

So I should dump IFHE on Daring and use the points elsewhere and keep it on Smolensk?  

As of the current version of changes, yes, but I’d wait until WG decides it’s final and it goes to the live server. Especially since their stated goal for the IFHE rework was to make IFHE less mandatory and yet all of only four or five (I think) ships will it no longer be mandatory for.

Members
3,354 posts
17,047 battles
7 minutes ago, Cheeezzy said:

What did you do to incur the wrath of RNGesus?

I filled my Smolensk with premium gas