Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

Everything You Need to Know About Commanders

29 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,305 posts
14,715 battles

What are Commander XP and skills? What are the features of unique Commanders? Read this article to find out!

Read it on the portal
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

0 posts
  1. How are stock captain physical features decided?
  2. What are the criteria?
  3. Where do you get your models from?
  4. Why are there zero captains with either female or black features in captain's uniform, either among the fictional stock captains, or among the fictional unique Captains?
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[PPNA1]
[PPNA1]
Beta Testers
1,970 posts
23,218 battles

Why did US Commanders receive only 3 skill(EL, EM) point buffs when some had up to 6 skill points buffs?

[--K--]
Members
92 posts
11,105 battles

Where is the German event where I can get Günter Lütjens? It is stupid that he is the only commander you have to fork over coal for and had no chance of earning without digging into your resources that would go into a coal ship. Also, I would like to see another American and Japanese legendary commander as Halsey and Yamamoto have been kinda powercrept.

Edited by CaptainWater_D
  • Cool 3

[-CGL-]
Members
4 posts
8,135 battles

Can we get unique commanders in the armory for EU and Commonwealth? Starting from 1-3 pts commander for those is anoying. 

[PPNA1]
[PPNA1]
Beta Testers
1,970 posts
23,218 battles

Why have we never seen any other Japanese Unique Commanders beside Yamamoto?

• Cool 3

[WOLFO]
Members
594 posts
5,491 battles

It would be great if the Personnel Directory was standardized. Skippers like Sansonetti have the pictures on the left side, with some explanation. But the ones that have the little green pluses are different? I'd like to see the skills quantified, and annotated, for easy discernment. Rework the skipper character sheets please.

[DIEBL]
Members
134 posts
16,116 battles

THANK YOU! More informational/organizational resources please! Let's make this game more accessible and fun for new players! This could also be an in game link in the commanders logbook, armory commanders section and commanders selection screen.

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
948 posts
20,410 battles

WG touts all these unique commanders but they ignore the elephant in the room...... Where is the unique IJN Commander with special enhanced commander skills?? Where? IJN line is missing two sets of IJN Commanders that have enhanced commander skills. How long has it been since the introduction...3-4 years? This unresolved issue has been the bain of the IJN line. I wished WG had a Customer Hot-line cause they would get an earful from me. 

Yes, I do have Adm Isoroku Yamamoto for you trolls.  Need two more that are missing.

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon
missing text
  • Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
430 posts
15,835 battles
8 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

WG touts all these unique commanders but they ignore the elephant in the room...... Where is the unique IJN Commander with special enhanced commander skills?? Where? IJN line is missing two sets of IJN Commanders that have enhanced commander skills. How long has it been since the introduction...3-4 years? This unresolved issue has been the bain of the IJN line. I wished WG has a Customer Hot-line cause they would get an earful from me. 

Yes, I do have Adm Isoroku Yamamoto for you trolls.  Need two more that are missing.

I agree ...

• Cool 1

Members
3,664 posts
42,517 battles

Well there is Chihaya Gunzo and his ability to attract waifus and torpedoes with stunning regularity. The only non- historical anime Capt that can easily start a harem in the game.

• Funny 2

[WSUND]
[WSUND]
Members
40 posts
9,253 battles
10 hours ago, LoveBote said:
  1. How are stock captain physical features decided?
  2. What are the criteria?
  3. Where do you get your models from?
  4. Why are there zero captains with either female or black features in captain's uniform, either among the fictional stock captains, or among the fictional unique Captains?

Every one of the ARP and HSF commanders are female. Both fit fictional and unique.

0 posts
Just now, Big_Blue_Gunner said:

Every one of the ARP and HSF commanders are female. Both fit fictional and unique.

But they are styled in a completely different manner to default stock captains, and are drawn exclusively from anime, to appeal to the middle aged man/dev with teenage boy bedroom fantasy crowd. We need a a diverse range of stock default captains who share an equivalent graphical presentation and are obtainable in an identical manner.

bits in italic are important./:Smile_hiding:

image.png.825b180dc3d371d2ddf80650f12fac

[WSUND]
[WSUND]
Members
40 posts
9,253 battles

I understand what you're saying. Some folks like the 'realism' of details, even though it's been labelled as an arcade style game. Perhaps an option to make any commander either male or female would satisfy folks. I don't pretend to know what that would entail. As far as POC, I'd agree that some should be added although some do exist in the form of Pan Asian commanders. Do we stick with or do we go against the 'realism' aspect again with African-Russian commanders? Some countries are decidedly more homogenous that the US. 

0 posts
10 hours ago, Big_Blue_Gunner said:

I understand what you're saying. Some folks like the 'realism' of details, even though it's been labelled as an arcade style game. Perhaps an option to make any commander either male or female would satisfy folks. I don't pretend to know what that would entail. As far as POC, I'd agree that some should be added although some do exist in the form of Pan Asian commanders. Do we stick with or do we go against the 'realism' aspect again with African-Russian commanders? Some countries are decidedly more homogenous that the US. 

Well, I understand for example, within the US, this subject is sensitive as regards the US armed forces, and the USN. But take the example for the in game fictional battleship named "République", which is named in honour of the state of Law which La République Française embodies, yet absurdly and in total contradiction with that state of law, WG insists on discriminating via exclusion, portraits of captains with features that don't fit their ideal from Saint Petersburg, Russia.

Another example of contradiction, the game excludes Nazi symbolism on account of the offence it may cause some, and because of legal issues in some countries, yet insists that only white male commanders be available for fictional German warships. Personally I find the hypocrisy and modern day racism displayed, more offensive and far unhealthier than any nazi swastika. While as the République example shows, is in sharp contradiction with the values of the symbols of liberté, fraternité and égalité with which WG devs had fun as marketing material for the Fr tech tree launches.

But I understand my view is one that not everyone agrees on.

[B-Z]
Members
11 posts
10,743 battles

The original historical commanders have been Power Creeped!

How often do you actually get a Kraken or Confederate to activate Halsey's & Yamato's special talents! The German & Russian commanders easily earn their special talents every game. 

Original commanders with "very" powerful talents, useful in 1/20 games 

New commanders with powerful talents, useful in 20/20 games

Edited by saleen37804
  • Cool 1

[LSNB]
Members
1,636 posts
4,989 battles
21 hours ago, Big_Blue_Gunner said:

Gunzou_chihaya.png.afe234432adcb0e4aa85c3fa366bd033.png931ea8ca-369c-11e8-99ac-d89d6715223c.png.c5633c3c46b787dc0cdbadd55a38cab7.png

Indeed.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,818 battles
On 3/3/2020 at 11:01 AM, Dah_Bears268 said:

Why have we never seen any other Japanese Unique Commanders beside Yamamoto?

This ^ … afaik, they sold numerous special skilled captains for 1000-1500 doubloons … but never IJN

Anti torps/stealth and Anti IJN bias … it's been going on over two years now in various forms 

[LSNB]
Members
1,636 posts
4,989 battles
58 minutes ago, Big_Blue_Gunner said:

To be fair, the cat could be male or female, it's not overtly male.

It's heavily implied that Isoroku is a male feline, as all sources refer to him by male pronouns. His voice actor is male. He even has a female counterpart in the anime.

I couldn't find any official confirmation of this, but his voice is if not one of, the only male voice in the anime. I'm assuming this is the case since the rest of the cast is all female. I haven't checked Japanese sources, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_School_Fleet

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/going-to-cat-mandu/

https://hai-furi.fandom.com/wiki/Isoroku

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,818 battles
On 3/3/2020 at 11:54 AM, Kestrel_Falcon said:

WG touts all these unique commanders but they ignore the elephant in the room...... Where is the unique IJN Commander with special enhanced commander skills?? Where? IJN line is missing two sets of IJN Commanders that have enhanced commander skills. How long has it been since the introduction...3-4 years? This unresolved issue has been the bain of the IJN line. I wished WG had a Customer Hot-line cause they would get an earful from me. 

On 3/3/2020 at 12:02 PM, War182 said:

I agree ...

It's a glaring omission in a major line like IJN … 

It seems they don't care or even try to hide the fact 

[WSUND]
[WSUND]
Members
40 posts
9,253 battles
21 hours ago, destawaits said:

It's heavily implied that Isoroku is a male feline, as all sources refer to him by male pronouns. His voice actor is male. He even has a female counterpart in the anime.

I couldn't find any official confirmation of this, but his voice is if not one of, the only male voice in the anime. I'm assuming this is the case since the rest of the cast is all female. I haven't checked Japanese sources, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_School_Fleet

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/going-to-cat-mandu/

https://hai-furi.fandom.com/wiki/Isoroku

Friend, you're taking my reply way too seriously. It was meant to be tongue in cheek.

On another note, the vast majority of orange and white tabbies are male, females of that coloration are exceedingly rare. That pretty much locks things up. He's a dude.

Edited by Big_Blue_Gunner

[LSNB]
Members
1,636 posts
4,989 battles

1 hour ago, Big_Blue_Gunner said:

Friend, you're taking my reply way too seriously. It was meant to be tongue in cheek.

On another note, the vast majority of orange and white tabbies are male, females of that coloration are exceedingly rare. That pretty much locks things up. He's a dude.

Well, #moreyouknow

[SOCOM]
Members
660 posts
23,777 battles

The British Cunningham two skills, one can be  used on two British Light Cruisers (NOT HEAVY like the event) Jack of all trades, the second aircraft armor, hmm  CV only. The Italian commander, expert loader and torpedo acceleration. one is a standard but the other on a Itala-tin ship and is not even listed on the wiki as a maybe get. The german in the armory the price of ship (using coupon) two nice skills that can be used on most ships the third CV skill.  The French captain one skill, survivability expert 175000 coal again the  price of a ship using coupon. Now the Russian, 3 skills Expert marksman, High Alert, Preventive maint. But then  Nickolay Kuznetsov  the smuck only has Jack of all trades, and again 175000 coal. So why pay so much for a commander that has specs that cannot be used in unison to better the ships. 

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
948 posts
20,410 battles
20 hours ago, Chief_SeaDog said:

The British Cunningham two skills, one can be  used on two British Light Cruisers (NOT HEAVY like the event) Jack of all trades, the second aircraft armor, hmm  CV only. The Italian commander, expert loader and torpedo acceleration. one is a standard but the other on a Itala-tin ship and is not even listed on the wiki as a maybe get. The german in the armory the price of ship (using coupon) two nice skills that can be used on most ships the third CV skill.  The French captain one skill, survivability expert 175000 coal again the  price of a ship using coupon. Now the Russian, 3 skills Expert marksman, High Alert, Preventive maint. But then  Nickolay Kuznetsov  the smuck only has Jack of all trades, and again 175000 coal. So why pay so much for a commander that has specs that cannot be used in unison to better the ships. 

Which two British Light Cruisers?

Sign in to follow this