Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_Hf93Jbjm9WjT

Who is this?

11 comments in this topic

Members
4,302 posts

subo.png.03e79467e94b5aad515de8404207f9ac.png

Spoiler

kyoxyop448k41.png

I have read that all the stock USN captain avatars are in fact, WG employees.

It would be curious indeed, if this is confirmed as true.

For those new to WOWS, Sub Octavian is the boss of the WOWS dev studio.

(official title as stated by SO "Executive producer for World of Warships in WG Saint Petersburg studio")

[WORX]
Members
11,960 posts
19,495 battles

Who ever he is... Its to small to tell.

31 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Sub Octavian is the boss of the WOWS dev studio.

No he is not... Sub_Oct is in charge of communication... Head of PR...

He is in no way, in charge of balancing ships...

He is not the "boss" of Lesta studios... He is only a worker...

Edited by Navalpride33

[POP]
Members
2,989 posts
24,079 battles
21 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Reveal hidden contents

kyoxyop448k41.png

I know they were planning his portrait as well as Fem, could this be it.

Image result for sub_Octavian WOWS captain portrait

• Funny 1

Members
3,664 posts
42,437 battles
18 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Hide contents

kyoxyop448k41.png

What is interesting is he actually put himself in a US Navy uniform.

Either because he likes how sharp the uniforms look on him, or he is a huge fan of US Navy warships in general.

In order to render that to scale, a uniform had to be obtained so he can be photographed digitally. This way he won't look like a Photoshop job.

This is what they did with Dasha. She had to wear a lot of outfits for the Captain she did a while back.

It's no surprise really. Even though he comes from a country that focused on tanks in WW2, he feels like Russian was left out in terms of a Navy. So he would in fact be a great admirer of the US Navy.

Had Russia not gone communist before the outbreak of WW2, I think History would show Russia being a strong Ally of the US. And WW2 would have been much shorter.

This is my theory of course. But you have to look at the days after the USA declared its independence and see that a certain country was one of the first to recognize the USA as a nation And the first in line to make treaties from sales of territory, fishing rights, trade, and sea going commerce.

Russia had before communism was a thing, a very good relationship with the US Navy.

Obviously history tells us a different story and the Cold War did not improve the relationship at all.

But after the 90s there were some interesting moments when a certain Russian CV had some engine issues and the US Navy rendered aid. It was accepted and all crew on that CV made it home safe.

So contrary to political stuff, bear in mind, pun intended, the Russian Navy is not political, but are loyal to their country. There is a big difference here.

And the Russian Navy though tenuous the relationship, has had kept the relationship with the US Navy friendly.

And the US Navy has done the same. They are not always going to share a beer, because duty is duty, but both are honorable just the same.

It's kind of funny Sub Octavian is a US Navy fan, and I am sure he gets joked at about it. But apparently he doesn't care that the jokes keep coming. He is still a Russian citizen, and loyal to his country as any citizen should. But it is a clear indication that he is allowed to express himself and his fandom in his country.

He would not be able to do so before 1990.

Fun fact. Stalin liked American Westerns as a movie genre and had the films brought to him. And he threw anyone to the Gulag for being caught watching such films.

It was Stalin's many guilty pleasures because he secretly admired American cowboys. If he could have gotten away with it, he probably would have strapped on a Colt Peacemaker on parade days.

But we all know how silly that would be.

If his Capt enters the game, I would get it. But get us a Philigula one for my Russian BBs. I would definitely get 1 for the Kremlin. LOL

Putting Philigula in a DD would be preposterous.

I would put Sub Octavian in a Mass, maybe the black one. So long as he buffs the secbat to 50% range and reload time bonus activates like Lutjens.

[F4E]
Members
310 posts
8,836 battles

Ernest Evans (C.O. Of USS Johnston) would be a great addition to the captain’s stable.

He was half Cherokee and quarter Creek Indian, so he would presumably be acceptable to those who want more racial diversity in the pixel captains and he was a bona fide naval commander who was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

We know what he looked like, and have pictures, so that part should be simple enough.

• Cool 1

0 posts
3 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

No he is not... Sub_Oct is in charge of communication... Head of PR...

He is not the "boss" of Lesta studios... He is only a worker...

Quite incorrect, full title as given by Sub Octavian on Reddit is "Executive producer for World of Warships in WG Saint Petersburg studio"

I take that to mean he is the big cheese, he is not a "worker", but the man in charge. The boss.

"Hey guys,

This week I will be answering your questions about the game here. My name is Phil (IGN: Sub_Octavian), I'm executive producer for World of Warships in WG Saint Petersburg studio. Unfortunately, over 5 years in the team and with new job duties coming steadily it has become harder and harder to do AMAs, but I'm always happy to find time for one, and thank you all for your participation and passion for the game!"

Spoiler

[ARGSY]
Members
22,351 posts
16,264 battles
3 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Had Russia not gone communist before the outbreak of WW2, I think History would show Russia being a strong Ally of the US. And WW2 would have been much shorter.

Had Russia not gone Communist towards the end of the FIRST World War, THAT might have been a lot shorter too. But here we are into historical what-ifs that even Harry Turtledove might shrink from entertaining.

[WORX]
Members
11,960 posts
19,495 battles
15 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Quite incorrect, full title as given by Sub Octavian on Reddit is "Executive producer for World of Warships in WG Saint Petersburg studio"

I take that to mean he is the big cheese, he is not a "worker", but the man in charge. The boss.

That ^^ Its a job title... The head guy in Lesta is still

Malik Khatajaev (CEO)[

Sub_ is probably the boss of the PR dept... But I doubt, he has any control  overall  of the studio OR of policy.

So no, Sub is not the guy responsible for passive play.... This is misinformation on your part..

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Malik+Khatajaev+(CEO)

Edited by Navalpride33

[ARGSY]
Members
22,351 posts
16,264 battles
28 minutes ago, MN_Nice said:

He was half Cherokee and quarter Creek Indian,

Now that I did not know. 

At the risk of glutting the captains' roster with US specials, it would be amusing to see him put in with EXTREMELY chunk-tacular, mega-plumped-up Survivability Expert and Preventive Maintenance bonuses (i.e. SE even better than for the Rong brothers and Ovechkin), to help whatever DD he's put into go down swinging, as his own ship did.

31 minutes ago, MN_Nice said:

We know what he looked like, and have pictures, so that part should be simple enough.

I believe the biggest problem is identifying and gaining permission from his estate.

He was a bad*** captain who fought a bad*** fight to the bitter end, and his inclusion in the game is justifiable on those grounds alone; one could not argue tokenism in this case.

0 posts
8 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

So no, Sub is not the guy responsible for passive play.... This is misinformation on your part..

That is his own tongue in cheek discord id description. No misinformation, unless you wish to accuse Sub of the same?

[F4E]
Members
310 posts
8,836 battles
9 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Now that I did not know. 

At the risk of glutting the captains' roster with US specials, it would be amusing to see him put in with EXTREMELY chunk-tacular, mega-plumped-up Survivability Expert and Preventive Maintenance bonuses (i.e. SE even better than for the Rong brothers and Ovechkin), to help whatever DD he's put into go down swinging, as his own ship did.

I believe the biggest problem is identifying and gaining permission from his estate.

He was a bad*** captain who fought a bad*** fight to the bitter end, and his inclusion in the game is justifiable on those grounds alone; one could not argue tokenism in this case.

Agreed — he would be a worthy and excellent addition to the captain’s list.  Period, full stop.

Sign in to follow this