Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CSV_defender

THE SAVE A STAR IN RANKED HAS TO GO

16 comments in this topic

[SIDE]
Members
57 posts

Our team just lost a winnable game while a full health Yamato stayed near the edge of the map and sniped, adding little or nothing to the team.  Just got some cheap damage hitting BBs and ended up top of the board with no damage to his ship.  This isn't an isolated case.  All too often when a team in ranked gets down a couple ships you have "that guy" or "guys" who give up and focus on useless damage just to save the star when the game is still winnable.  This "save a star" addition to ranked seemed like a good idea at first, but now it has become a negative for the game.  Either a team wins together, or loses together.  A full health Yamato that was the last ship standing contributed no strategic value nor did he go anywhere close to the enemy ships to help his teammates.  A DD that keeps the red team spotted but does moderate damage is penalized for doing his job.   IMO, WG needs to take this feature out of the game.  This may be why there are so few nail bitters in ranked.

• Boring 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,794 posts
20,289 battles

You know he's serious because he posted the thread title in all caps. Better do as he says.

• Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
12,012 posts
19,514 battles

OP, its tier 10... DDs are going to be at a disadvantage... Nothing new there... This is not about the rules of Ranked, (which has been constant since its debut).

Some ship classes, have better everything to better equip them to be better suited for the rules of Ranked. Especially at tier 10.. 

Either

1. Suck it up
    • OR
  2. Dont play Ranked.

• Boring 1

Members
443 posts
451 battles

My mom says everyone should save a star because we’re all special and it isn’t fair to make someone else feel bad just because they’re different. #SAVETHESTARS

• Funny 2

[V1-PI]
Members
428 posts
9,964 battles

agree that save a star is not a great game mech with the way XP is counted. i would love to see " save a star" go away. 

once i see the teams go to save a star and not trying to win i stop playing ranked. it normally takes about 3 days to a week. this time it seems they started on day 1. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Weird....how the thing everyone once asked for once upon a time is now the same thing everyone is asking to remove.

• Cool 1

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

Honestly I don't remember "Everyone" asking for it. It was mostly the "Unicum" players not wanting their progress set back by bad teams.

I'm all for a minimum points system where thresholds need to be meet by players on both teams to earn a star in the battle. That way you don't get potatoes who run to the corners advanced for doing nothing.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
968 posts
4,178 battles

How would this mode work without star saving and with the huge number of revocable stars and ranks? The star "supply" would be less than zero sum after rank outs and disgusted attrition. 

• Confused 1

[STW-A]
Members
285 posts
19,517 battles

Progress should be by you performance in the side you are on vs dependent on the side you are on.  You are thrown into random sides and given individual rewards.  Frankly, it should be taken further where the worst performing player on the winning side does not get a star and best performing player on the winning side gets his.  A substantial portion of the players advance when they did not earn it and are pushed back because they get stuck with too many on their side who did not earn their place. 

[-N-]
Members
2,228 posts
14,851 battles
13 minutes ago, BlackAngelCom said:

How would this mode work without star saving and with the huge number of revocable stars and ranks? The star "supply" would be less than zero sum after rank outs and disgusted attrition. 

It would have to be you have to land in the top 50% in experience for the game to receive a star no matter which team you were on.

• Cool 1

Members
6,900 posts
21,408 battles

Lots of thought went into this over a beer. The Save a star and irrevocable ranks force progression. Without either, brackets would stagnant. The simple reality is that both of these systems force new blood into next bracket, no matter how bad or good the players are.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
7 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Weird....how the thing everyone once asked for once upon a time is now the same thing everyone is asking to remove.

Hey now, I never asked for it and I'm not asking for it to be removed.  :Smile-_tongue:

[SIDE]
Members
57 posts
On 3/3/2020 at 8:43 AM, BlackAngelCom said:

You reestablish backstop at rank 5 like in the old days.  I got a clan member at rank three with 291 games invested already.  He has a 56% wr, good player.  I am guessing most that rank out will have 300+ games and who has that kind of time.  Best way to saves some of your stars is have everyone fight to the end.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,323 posts
17,497 battles

No thanks. Saving a Star make it less soul crushing than it would be otherwise.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this