You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Awe5ome

HMS Cheshire Review

10 comments in this topic

[-OG-]
Members
287 posts
8,920 battles

HMS CHESHIRE

REVIEW

1532967504_CheshireTitleReview.thumb.jpg.3a1da9a553ce51951f65e1e44af01396.jpg

I'll be honest at first I was hesitant to get this ship after all the tech-tree ship Albemarle (Formally Bedford) is just the Neptune hull with 9x203s attached to it and the Neptune is renowned even among the British light cruisers of being a floating citadel. So the idea of getting a Bedford with 3 fewer guns but of slightly larger calibre was not exactly appealing, however, I was pleasantly surprised with this ship's performance and characteristics. She's got longer range than Bedford and enough armour to bounce the occasional shell or two. The ship was fun, and I am thoroughly enjoying my time playing her because while requiring a slight knowledge of the game mechanics to play well, she is very rewarding and just an absolute joy to play. Without further ado, here's my review of the HMS Cheshire.

SURVIVABILITY

Hit Points: 42,500 (Additional 51,000 with premium heals and superintendent)

Torpedo Protection: 19%

Armour Value Range: 16-178mm

1257682821_CheshireArmourSchemeside.thumb.jpg.b64bfab49e57c27c67be5d97b5fcd4fb.jpg

1580384823_CheshireDeck.thumb.jpg.b812a86e81424243e429db1639bd58df.jpg

The armour of the Cheshire is ok for T8 and especially when fighting down tiers, however, get into a T10 game and ships have the ability to pen you 5x over. The best defence for the Cheshire is don't get shot it's best if you are not the one at the centre of attention so don't push at the beginning of the game too aggressively, let other ships start the push as you support them with your guns. Your armour is good against other cruisers of lower and higher tiers so you shouldn't worry about getting into fights with cruisers. Later in the game is when you can start to push with your teammates and help to capture objectives. 

If needed it's possible to rush higher calibre BB's, the key is to use your citadel as bait. Going bow-in will result in you being deleted from the match very quickly the only thing you can do is try to get the enemy to shoot your 152mm Citadel armour instead of your 25mm bow.

D8FEB6EC70C85396F74039FA19E982C756B0F0F8

9FC413E957A446542692E34923ECE82AEA909890

Again, the best defence is to not get shot, so don't rush an enemy battleship unless needed. However, it is possible to tank even the most accurate, OP battleship in the game as long as you have the correct angle.

ARTILLERY

826473356_CheshireMainBattery.thumb.jpg.170ecdcabd0238130d235e3d8364e646.jpg

Now we come to the main selling point of this vessel, her main battery. The ship comes with six 234mm guns housed in dual turrets, the guns have a respectable reload time and high penetration for their tier. The base 58mm of penetration on the High Explosive is especially nice when dealing with battleships, to add to this the ship has a really decent fire chance meaning you will set fires often. She has great shell damage with her high explosive doing roughly around 66.9% of her AP shells max damage. In battle, I found myself often using the HE shells instead of AP because of their reliable damage output, however, it should be noted that her AP is still extremely useable and I had a few salvo's where I dealt devastating blow's to other cruisers. Out to a range of ~12km, the armour piercing would routinely citadel cruisers and even do some decent damage against broadside battleships. My biggest concern of only having 6 guns was not nearly that bad, her accuracy is great and despite having so few guns I never felt as though I was incapable of hitting an enemy. While occasionally the dispersion will suffer from a sudden rush of s*** to the brain and I'd have shells land all around my target most of the time as long as my aim was accurate my shot was accurate. In conclusion, the guns of the Cheshire are exceptional. They are accurate and capable of dealing damage to anything regardless of the situation.

TORPEDOES

1122830248_CheshireTorpedoes.thumb.jpg.ad723561ee4cfb3acf3bfd3fef8c1906.jpg

I feel if this ship has a major shortcoming in her armaments its got to be with her torpedoes, there's just not enough of them to be an offensive weapon. While they can be extremely useful in forcing cruisers out of smoke or when rushing a battleship short of firing the torpedoes down the enemy's throat I've had a hard time getting torpedo hits. This is not to say they're completely useless in fact they're far more useful than the torpedoes you get on the T6 London which are basically ornamental and used for area denial. But when compared to the Albemarle's Torpedo's which are the same as the Edinburgh which has a 10km range and 62 knots of speed it can feel as though the Cheshire just gets the short end of the stick. They're useable but situational.

AA DEFENCES

1807361288_CheshireAA.thumb.jpg.385d1355c502b2728d57ecf58fb166e5.jpg

The Cheshire is unique amongst her British counterparts, her AA is amazing! I always felt that one of the shortcomings for the British was their lack of AA DPS and as a result I never had an AA specced captain since you can't polish a turd. However, with the Cheshire, I have routinely deplaned entire squadrons even without an AA specced captain, AA modules, DEF AA or flags to improve my DPS. In fact, her base DPS is higher than that of Smolensk so if you've ever wanted a British AA cruiser Cheshire is definitely the ship you want. I cannot overstate just how blown away I was at this ship's AA defences I mean you can go toe to toe against T10's with this T8. I would say that an AA build on this ship is totally viable and if you want to you can go for it. 

MANEUVERABILITY

1180682964_Cheshiremaneuverability.thumb.jpg.d8a20d92e8bc9d38f89a6ce9836913ac.jpg

While the Cheshire isn't a British light cruiser in terms of maneuverability she does feel a bit more maneuverable than the rest of the heavy cruiser line, especially when compared to her sister Albermarle. Despite them being almost identical the Cheshire is 1kt faster and has a 0.2s faster rudder shift on top of having longer range allows Cheshire when compared to her sister to survive longer in the heat of battle. I find that while she isn't the most maneuverable heavy cruiser in the game she's maneuverable enough to dodge most incoming shells and minimize damage.

CONCEALMENT

786413996_CheshireConcealment.thumb.jpg.403b013e256a61ea83e9bf50d97e8fe9.jpg

Yet another area where Cheshire is better than her counterpart Albermarle, with all concealment modules and skills equipped along with a camouflage you can get Cheshire down to a 9.5km surface detect compared to the 9.8 in Albermarle. Cheshire is an extremely stealthy heavy cruiser capable of popping up out of nowhere and punishing broadside cruisers with her amazing AP, it also is extremely good at retreating if the going gets tough just stop shooting and let your concealment do the rest. She also has a very small dead zone in between getting air spotted and her lethal AA guns starting to go off, this allows Cheshire to ambush aircraft and makes air spotting her just a little more difficult. 

CONSUMABLES

Slot 1: Damage Control 1/2

Slot 2: Repair Party 1/2

Slot 3: Hydroacoustic Search 1/2 or Defensive Fire 1/2

The repair party consumable heals for 2% HP per second for 20s. You get a maximum of 3 of them and I highly encourage you to take the premium version of this consumable, it has your standard cooldown time of 80s. Hydroacoustic is your standard Hydroacoustic Search consumable same with your Defensive fire, basically, this doesn't have any unique consumable quirks like the London. I encourage you to take the premium Heal and Dam Con at the very least, if not premium on all consumables.

UPGRADES

676188456_UpgradesCheshire.png.aaa6fc4352d5f8bdd5a2fedcc84d7ff4.png

For my playstyle found these upgrades to be the most useful, however, if you wanted to build an AA specced Cheshire that is a completely reasonable build. I don't run an AA build because I don't like spending points towards an enemy I might not always face and even if I face one there's no guarantee that the CV will attack me. To me, an AA build is just not worth the points and equipment because I'd rather put those towards ships I know I'll have to fight.

Slot 1: Main Armaments Modification 1

I chose this module for the reduced critical damage chance to my main batter and torpedoes.

Slot 2: Engine Room Modification 1

I chose the engine room mod because if I'm in a cruiser I'd prefer to be able to move and steer rather than sit there like a sitting duck as I get blapped from existence.

Slot 3: Aiming Systems Modification 1/ AA Guns Modification 1

This ship only has 6 guns, any accuracy improvement is always helpful.

AA guns should only be used if you're going for a fully specced AA build, again I went with aiming because I feel it is more useful more often. However, build it however you want

Slot 4: Steering Gears Modification 1/Propulsion Modification 1

This one is all about how you prefer to play it. If like me you don't like island camping than I'd recommend the steering gears for an easier time dodging enemy salvos. If you prefer island hugging your preferred playstyle you might enjoy the propulsion modification over the steering gears, again this is all about personal preference.

Slot 5: Concealment Mod 1

This is probably the best option for slot 5 you could choose steering gears mod 2 but I feel that the concealment is far more valuable than a faster rudder shift.

CAPTAIN SKILLS

10 point:

Priority Target

Adrenaline Rush

Superintendent

Concealment Expert

My Build:

Priority Target

Adrenaline Rush / Last Stand

Superintendent / Demolition Expert

Concealment

My build is pretty self-explanatory, Priority Target so I can see how many people want to see my corpse, Adrenaline Rush for faster reload, Last Stand so I can still move after taking a citadel, Superintendent for extra consumables, Demolition Expert for FIRES, and Concealment to ninja-vanish. I feel as though this is a solid build for most scenarios and works very well with most British CA's, with a 19 point captain the remaining four points I would probably go for Jack of all trades, Incoming fire and expert loader.

FINAL EVALUATION

Cheshire is a very fun ship which I was really not expecting, her weaknesses are there but can be mitigated and she has some massive advantages that really help her to gain the upper hand in any engagement she picks. Despite only having six guns I was surprised at how well she performed with them, she's a lot of fun. This thing blows Albermarle out of the water in every single way and is actually a decent ship, unlike the floating citadel I was expecting her to be. While she won't be everyone's cup of tea I can firmly say that she's become my favourite British CA of all time. If you want a comparison I'd say that she's basically a T8 Exeter with more armour and bigger guns. Final Thought:

1302383743_CheshireENDReview.thumb.jpg.abef21f4439f191c12190d17e93a9874.jpg

Thanks for reading, if you liked the review or found it helpful please hit the like button I appreciate it. Anyways, you guys let me know what you think, you like Cheshire, don't like Cheshire different build let me know I always like to hear different and interesting builds. Regardless, hope you're having a great day and I'll catch you later!

• Cool 11

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles

Excellent review pard! :cap_like:

I have Cheshire and she's overall a good bote. Now I only play Co-Op but I've discovered that due to the obscenely huge citadel, she gets one salvoed by BBs pretty easily.

• Cool 1

[ARRSE]
Members
213 posts
1,405 battles

I see Cheshire came in top of the WoWS T8 cruiser stats on release, but has already started her plunge down the lists as the games tally racks up.

I'd love to have her to try out but, as with most WG content, she is obscenely overpriced. Even as a dedicated Teabo, I can't justify spending $45/£31 on a ship that'll likely see 80% T10 battles and end up providing Dev Strike achievements for the opposition.

• Cool 2

Members
250 posts
1,475 battles

Thanks for the review! I'm still grinding the Devonshire (which seems really good), but I'm aiming to go up the line. This helps.

• Cool 1

[NNC]
Members
1,184 posts
19,689 battles

Great review. I have yet to buy her. I may not because I am trying to spend less on the game, but I do like british and Japanese ships almost equally so I may have a weak spot for her. If she was $30 it would be a very easy decision.

[-OG-]
Members
287 posts
8,920 battles
4 hours ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

Thanks for the review! I'm still grinding the Devonshire (which seems really good), but I'm aiming to go up the line. This helps.

Devonshire is probably one of the better ships in the line, Surrey was disappointing and the Albermarle is just a worse Cheshire in my opinion. I'm currently trying to get the guts to finally grind out the Albermarle and get the Drake but after playing Cheshire going back to the Albermarle is difficult, to say the least. When playing through the British heavies my only advice is basically WASD the hell out of everything. Island hugging at low tiers is practically useless and since the British CA's have a nasty tendency to suddenly and violently explode because of their poor armour, the best chance to survive the game is to dodge out of the way. That's why I will always recommend the Priority Target skill, it show's you how many people are aiming at you at any given point it's great at telling you when you're out of your depth and need to kite. I would consider getting incoming fire on my captain too as an extra "YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING NOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DIE!!!" kind of alert. Either way, I wish you the best of luck with this line it's very good but requires some skill in order to play well.

• Cool 1

Members
47 posts
8,527 battles

The citidel stretches most of the ship above water. Enemy BB drivers are just waiting with glee for you to turn and you will get insta blapped.

That is your biggest challenge... situational awareness... proximity, enemies that are near, making sure you are not in a fireing cone/kill box/kill zone is your biggest and constant concern.

Otherwise it is a nice boat but not for beginners by any stretch.

Edited by Phawn70

[-OG-]
Members
287 posts
8,920 battles
14 hours ago, Phawn70 said:

The citidel stretches most of the ship above water. Enemy BB drivers are just waiting with glee for you to turn and you will get insta blapped.

While that's true you have a lot more usable armour to bounce shells. In a maximum down-tier, you can bow tank T6 battleships like New Mexico, Izamail, Fuso, Normandie etc. When fighting BB's with 15" or larger guns it's still possible to mitigate damage and in fact, you can cheese the hell out of your enemy by baiting them into shooting the citadel. I've rushed battleships such as Nagato, Vladivostock, Bismarck, Grober Kurfurst, Kremlin and a Montana. The Nagato one was the funniest to me personally. I closed range on him, he fired 24 shells at me scoring a total of one citadel before I launched torps at him. I'm not saying that doing so is easy, rather I'm pointing out it's possible.

• Cool 1