You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

How do you grind the directives??

37 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles

Do you pick one class an play what ship you believe is best for the task & repeat until you have reached the required number of fires, torpedoes, etc?

Do you rotate between classes & ships?

I need a couple of more fires to complete the cruiser mission. I just finished the torpedo hits in my DD's. This was done in all coops.

The base XP & potential damage do not build up very quickly in coops.

My son will join me tonight to run a few randoms & I will use BB's in randoms. This is why I stayed with cruisers & DD's today.

This question is for fun, nothing more.

[PVE]
Members
20,119 posts
12,989 battles
Just now, kgh52 said:

Do you pick one class an play what ship you believe is best for the task & repeat until you have reached the required number of fires, torpedoes, etc?

I need a couple of more fires to complete the cruiser mission. I just finished the torpedo hits in my DD's. This was done in all coops.

My son will join me tonight to run a few randoms & I will use BB's in randoms. This is why I stayed with cruisers & DD's today.

It varies. Sometimes I rotate through the ship types working on my ships that I am grinding and sometimes I focus on one type. Depends on how I feel that day.

Some days I do a lot of ship playing and others just a little.

If I think a task will go quickly with a particular ship, i will grind that one until done. Like the Dir III 850 main guns hits using Friesland went real quick.

• Cool 1

Members
3,899 posts
14,048 battles

Ive personally reached a point where they naturally complete themselves through normal gameplay. Unless it's something like the PR event. 

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles
Just now, Rollingonit said:

Ive personally reached a point where they naturally complete themselves through normal gameplay. Unless it's something like the PR event. 

While I know I will complete the necessary directives when the final set unlocks I can't resist & grind.

Members
3,899 posts
14,048 battles
1 minute ago, kgh52 said:

While I know I will complete the necessary directives when the final set unlocks I can't resist & grind.

Tech tree (Cruisers/BBs) are the grinds I cant resist. I like trying out all those ships. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,535 posts
14,839 battles
17 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

12 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

It varies. Sometimes I rotate through the ship types working on my ships that I am grinding and sometimes I focus on one type. Depends on how I feel that day.

Some days I do a lot of ship playing and others just a little.

If I think a task will go quickly with a particular ship, i will grind that one until done. Like the Dir III 850 main guns hits using Friesland went real quick.

This, if there is a lot of overlap I will mix the ships up but when they are specific like this set is I will bounce back and forth in ships that are well suited to a specific directive.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
20,119 posts
12,989 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

This, if there is a lot of overlap I will mix the ships up but when they are specific like this set is I will bounce back and forth in ships that are well suited to a specific directive.

:Smile_honoring:

[O_O]
Members
6,917 posts
16,596 battles

Mostly Co-op.

• Cruisers: Conflagration (x60 fires with cruisers):  I started with Smolensk, but switched to Atlanta.  Don't forget to use a commander with Demolition Expert skill, if you can, and make sure you fly the India X-Ray flag.
  • A King's Ransom ($1.1M silver in tier 8+ ship in a single battle):  Missouri.  Duh.  With Gamescom camo, WoWS premium time, and Zulu, Wyvern, Scylla, and Basilisk signals, it took 3 games, because tater teams make winning hard.  I did this mission before the next, as any cits or fires would count.  This mission required Random mode for the higher earnings.
  • Battleships: Rampant Salvo (x60 fires and/or citadels with battleships):  Fires are more reliably achieved than citadel hits so I aimed for those.  But, the random citadel hit counts, too.  I started with Nelson and was doing okay.  Played with some French BB's.  But, found Scharnhorst with its faster ROF and secondaries to be more productive.
  • Destroyers:  Stealthy Menace (x50 torpedo hits):  I relied heavily on Nicholas, because x6 torps on each side is hard to argue against.  If Nicholas was still in battle, Okhotnik.

With Victorian White camo, HMS London is certainly a pretty lady:

tBwvUK4.jpg

Edited by desmo_2

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,212 posts

For DDs

I will use either the Kamikazie R or my Okhitnik . Latter would be best.

For BBs fire setting .

D.O.Y..

For BBs. Cash ..

Yup you guessed it ....Mighty Mo.

For CAs can't say enough but Smol.

That should get me through the objectives in short order.

Granted I don't run premium time and I only run COOP. Maybe,.just maybe I'll break down and grab a week  just for the LOLs.

[GOBI]
Members
1,087 posts
4,608 battles

For fires and cits Massachusetts is hard to beat. I average around 8 fire ribbons per match, and a couple of citadel.

For cruiser fires I'm using Witchita, just spam he.

DDs using several t5 to t8. Best so far has been Fubuki.

All in co op. Regular play will get me either XP or potential damage for 4th one.

[GRAVE]
Members
1,414 posts
19,927 battles
36 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

looking at these missions (knocking these out in co-op):

Cruisers, 60 fires. Smolensk, Worcester if I die early

DDs: 50 torp hits: Kleber, Mogador, Le Terrible

BBs, fires/citadels: Has Thunderer and Bourgogne written all over it

potential damage, 30million: will complete with time

30k BASE XP: by the time the first three are done, this should be about halfway done, so Killer Whale and Aegis to finish.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,734 posts
37 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Do you pick one class an play what ship you believe is best for the task

I just play normally because I usually play all types of ships during a gaming session. Even without a goal in mind I usually get most of the directives done. The current one is really nice. I've been trading tokens for doubloons and am 400 away from a new tier X permacamo. I just need to decide what ship to put it on.

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
1,126 posts
9,566 battles
52 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

pick one class an play what ship you believe is best for the task & repeat until you have reached the required number of fires, torpedoes, etc

I do this, otherwise I forget what I set out to do and grab something counter productive like a DD with 4km torps when I need to farm torp hits :Smile-_tongue:

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

I usually just play my normal rotation ... to collect Elite Commander XP, complete Daily missions & at least 2 Containers ... and grind selective ships (like Moskva currently and Zao UU).  Then I'll focus more on a Directive or 2 ... otherwise I get tired of playing the game.

[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

I've been choosing ships according to the directives I'm trying to complete at the time.
Some objectives can be done simultaneously (need to earn credits can be combined with need to score 1,200 secondary battery hits, for example).
Some directives require a particular ship type (aircraft carrier aerial torpedo hits, or Destroyer setting fires with main battery, for example).

I often play in Co-op battles.  But some directives require that a person play in Random battles.  Thankfully, I recently upgraded to a laptop computer that runs smoothly even in Randoms.

It gets interesting when trying to satisfy Event Directives while also trying to complete Campaign mission directives.  Often, I'll postpone the Campaign and just concentrate on Event Directives.

It helps to have a good variety of ships in one's port, to select from.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
edit

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,734 posts
3 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Thankfully, I recently upgraded to a laptop computer that runs smoothly even in Randoms.

That new computer working OK for you? I looked at its specs and it's leaps and bounds better than mine. After doing that research I'm thinking about getting me a new motherboard and processor, and maybe 16 GB RAM too, if I can keep everything under $300. 

Members
443 posts
451 battles

Time is more on my mind than specific ships when doing the mini-grind directives. Co-op at 4am and it’s usually myself and 1 or 2 other players in a room full of bots. Easy pickings and plenty for everyone.

[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

That new computer working OK for you? I looked at its specs and it's leaps and bounds better than mine. After doing that research I'm thinking about getting me a new motherboard and processor, and maybe 16 GB RAM too, if I can keep everything under $300. 

Lenovo G50 (AMD A6 processor, 4GB of RAM which is shared with the Raedon 4 integrated graphics processor unit, 512 GB traditional laptop Hard-Drive) = game loading screen lasts for about half a minute or more, entering a battle takes over 30 seconds, accessing the Armory can take minutes just to enter, frame rates of zero to 30 FPS, ping/lag times of 60 to 100+ milliseconds.

Acer Nitro-5 (Intel i5 9th generation processor, 8GB of RAM, which is not shared with the GeForce 1650 GPU and a 512 GB solid-state-drive) = game loading screen lasts for a few seconds, entering a battle takes milliseconds, accessing the Armory takes milliseconds, and the game runs smoothly without becoming slow or stuttering during heavy flak barrages and frame rates of 50 to 70+ and ping/lag times of 45 to 60+ milliseconds.

A significant improvement!  :-)

The Lenovo has a 15.6" display, while the Acer has a 17" display with IPS technology.
The Lenovo is still a good & basic "workhorse", but the Acer has made my gaming experiences much more fun.  :-)

Members
3,899 posts
14,048 battles
3 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Lenovo G50 (AMD A6 processor, 4GB of RAM which is shared with the Raedon 4 integrated graphics processor unit, 512 GB traditional laptop Hard-Drive) = game loading screen lasts for about half a minute or more, entering a battle takes over 30 seconds, accessing the Armory can take minutes just to enter, frame rates of zero to 30 FPS, ping/lag times of 60 to 100+ milliseconds.

Acer Nitro-5 (Intel i5 9th generation processor, 8GB of RAM, which is not shared with the GeForce 1650 GPU and a 512 GB solid-state-drive) = game loading screen lasts for a few seconds, entering a battle takes milliseconds, accessing the Armory takes milliseconds, and the game runs smoothly without becoming slow or stuttering during heavy flak barrages and frame rates of 50 to 70+ and ping/lag times of 45 to 60+ milliseconds.

A significant improvement!  :-)

The Lenovo has a 15.6" display, while the Acer has a 17" display with IPS technology.
The Lenovo is still a good & basic "workhorse", but the Acer has made my gaming experiences much more fun.  :-)

Noice. Glad it's worked out for you. When I got my SSD, the load times just were soooo much different, like yours.

[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles
Just now, Rollingonit said:

Noice. Glad it's worked out for you. When I got my SSD, the load times just were soooo much different, like yours.

Thanks.  :-)

[POP]
Members
4,750 posts
12,813 battles

Sometimes I’ll rotate through ships and just play through my ‘commander xp farming’ ships (aka tech tree and premium ships with 19 pointers or ships I’m farming up one for), which mostly alternates between cruisers and battleships, and sometimes I’ll focus more on one or the other. Destroyer directives I’ll either just focus on until they’re done for really quick ones (like the main battery hits one in dir 3 was just four or five in a row with Friesland, and torp hits I tend to do in groups) or do groups at a time for longer grinds rather than switch in and out between destroyers and non destroyers. Carrier tasks I’ll pretty much focus on and either get them done in one sitting or split it over multiple cv only sessions, typically the former if it’s one I’m actually considering doing. 

For this one in particular, I’m definitely going to do the battleship and cruiser tasks and the base xp and potential damage ones. I can do the destroyer one as well but based on the few games I did earlier I won’t need it to complete the stage. The potential damage one is more hit and miss in co-op but should be doable, but the base xp is less than six full days of both daily missions (and that six days is assuming you get exactly the base xp needed for each stage and don’t go over the 5350 per day). 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,331 posts
5,821 battles

I try to do them with ships on which getting EXP is useful and then do them mostly in co-op.  I will use Missouri decked out in credit earning stuff.  If I didn't have Missouri I'd use a Tier IX premium decked out similarly.

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles
1 hour ago, MasterDiggs said:

I do this, otherwise I forget what I set out to do and grab something counter productive like a DD with 4km torps when I need to farm torp hits :Smile-_tongue:

In coops I get in close so the short range of 4k doesn't effect me.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,677 posts

I tend to cycle through ships I'm currently grinding 3 or so matches each- depending on how close to the end I am.   If mission requirements come, great.    That tends to be how I get most of the general missions done.    If those just ain't cuttin' it, then I'll reach for favorites or do the first win shuffle.   (till I find one that DOES cut the mustard that day)

For class missions, I do much the same, play a few matches in current grinders if any- then try something else.   A combination of favorites and knocking off first wins until the mission is complete- or I find a real winner.

For example, I used that method yesterday for the DD main battery grind for directive 3.   Tried my hand at a bunch of ships, some did ok, some failed spectacularly.

And then there were Cossack; Benson; and Gadja Mada.

DING DING DING!!  We have our winners!   Cossack put up 300+ hits and 5 kills in one game alone.   That thing was just tearing it UP.    Benson also handed in a 5 kill romp- my best ever game in it so far.   I felt like I was every character in a martial arts movie all at once, lol.   It was ALL OVER that cap, burning this, torping that, using islands as shields,  keeping up a constant stream of HE and torps at everything red that moved.    Even better when Arizona made his grand entrance, and announced his presence with AP that annoyed the reds so much- they forgot all about me, and concentrated on him. 

Can a USN DD captain ask for a better situation than that???

suckers...

It's also been my experience that the no-brainer and conventional wisdom picks are often NOT the best choice for these.   RNGesus can be a real ba$[edited] that way, lol.   No, it's usually some oddball from "the last ship I'd ever have expected" list...

[--O--]
Members
994 posts

I play no different during directives than I do any other day.... I find just playing to have fun and not worrying about them I will complete them faster than if i worry about it and I have more fun than stressing directives.