You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DeletedUser

DD perspective on ranked--rather favorable

23 comments in this topic

Members
0 posts

It's been several seasons since I played ranked and am pleasantly surprised at the matchmaking I've seen so far. I was expecting the wall'o'radar on both teams that is so common on clan battles, but not so. Most battles i've played have 1-2 radar ships and some have none. CV's arent super common either. This means that, as a DD, I can push up further, take bigger risks, and try for more exciting plays than I can in radar-saturated cv battles. Also, when I do get spotted or radared, there arend 3-4 cruisers in the vicinity to focus me down, like there are in 12 on 12 battles. 

In short, I've really been enjoying ranked and the different feel from randoms and clans. 

I'm only to rank 9, though, so maybe once I hit the 5 and above league, this will all change. 

thoughts?

In case you're wondering, I'm playing my grozovoi almost exclusively this ranked season, since my BB and cruiser chops really can be a disservice to my teams.

Edited by mrieder79
eta ship type

[KOHAI]
Members
84 posts
3,426 battles

Sounds like I might have some success with my Shimakaze if things go similar for me. Sounds good to me!

Edited by Aetius05

[KIA-C]
Members
3,578 posts
15,785 battles

Gun focused DD never really suffer much in ranked since their main armement is something consistent.

I played some Shima game and it often ended up with me winning because I managed to seize a lot of buffs without dying which made life easier even for some potato, but when I lose, it's because I made my team mate life's very easy that they can save their own star without any trouble.

That's a double edged sword.

But I'll be sticking to cruisers and some BB for a moment. Worcester, Des Moines and Bourgogne are stupid fun to play.

[SPTR]
Members
27,214 posts
17,170 battles

true true I feel like the DDs are playing far more effectively in rank compared to what I see in Randoms 

Members
1,480 posts
17,708 battles

I've been in several games where the DDs... sometimes on both sides... had total control of the game flow.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,705 battles
1 hour ago, mrieder79 said:

It's been several seasons since I played ranked and am pleasantly surprised at the matchmaking I've seen so far. I was expecting the wall'o'radar on both teams that is so common on clan battles, but not so. Most battles i've played have 1-2 radar ships and some have none. CV's arent super common either. This means that, as a DD, I can push up further, take bigger risks, and try for more exciting plays than I can in radar-saturated cv battles. Also, when I do get spotted or radared, there arend 3-4 cruisers in the vicinity to focus me down, like there are in 12 on 12 battles. 

In short, I've really been enjoying ranked and the different feel from randoms and clans. 

I'm only to rank 9, though, so maybe once I hit the 5 and above league, this will all change. 

thoughts?

In case you're wondering, I'm playing my grozovoi almost exclusively this ranked season, since my BB and cruiser chops really can be a disservice to my teams.

Ditto. I have been playing mostly Shima. If CVs appear you can exit the queue. Radar is a nuisance, not a problem. Lot of knife fighting, which I really enjoy. Since the ships close with one another you can launch torps at killing ranges. Really enjoying Ranked, so different from the currently dismal state of Randoms.

• Boring 1

[TRU]
Members
711 posts
20,549 battles
56 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

true true I feel like the DDs are playing far more effectively in rank compared to what I see in Randoms 

I am finding the same and renewing my appreciation for the Shima.  With that torpedo speed enhancement and common spots that cruisers hide you can really catch some people off guard.  Those rear guns on the shima are not bad either when kiting angry red DDs.

CVs have been a rarity to play against (unless I loaded in mine), and only the Russian radar seems to give me an issues.  Des Moines players especially seem to go to favorite hiding rocks.

I played two ranked in my Midway and found the DD players to play really smart.  Using islands, smoke, and overlapping AA rings that made it hard to hit them.  

Still, had a few games where 1 or 2 DDs just went all ahead full and died quickly - on both teams.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,844 posts
17,399 battles

I've had the hardest start for ranked to date. The only T10 DD I have is the Gearing. I just got the Jutland two days ago. I could free XP to the Daring but would take a good chunk of my free XP and probably break me on exchange credits.

Very tempted to pull the trigger. Had a acquaintance suggest the Gearing does really good in clan battle situations and division. For solo pretty much any DD but the Gearing. 

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,429 battles
3 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

Well now I regret resetting both the IJN torp and US DD lines in order to get Research Points. 

I did the same. Got through the USN DD line in no time flat. IJN is a serious grind though, in the current meta.

2 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

Absolutely. The arms race format has its faults, but it's nice to have a change of pace. Radar doesn't control caps, because you can't reliably predict where the buffs will pop up. Domination mode suits radar better.

[BBMOD]
Members
348 posts
5,767 battles

Been playing my Khaba to grind through the last stage of the UU mission in ranked. Its been rough so far. Just can't seem to find a win.

[WORX]
Members
11,933 posts
19,479 battles
2 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

thoughts?

Gun DDs can do well.

Fast gun DDS do well and avoid some CV attacks...

Torp DDs... Highly MM dependent...Dont take out a torp DD unless you're Naive or Brave.

Edited by Navalpride33

Members
465 posts
20 battles

DD's are usually viable, and generally the best class to play if you are decent at them and want to win.  Ranked game play in DD's is generally pretty fun as well!

The problem is, ranked isn't about winning, it's about star saving, and DD's are the worst at that by a decent margin.  This is why DD's are not the best choice in ranked for someone who wants to rank out.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,353 posts
22,151 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I've had the hardest start for ranked to date. The only T10 DD I have is the Gearing. I just got the Jutland two days ago. I could free XP to the Daring but would take a good chunk of my free XP and probably break me on exchange credits.

Very tempted to pull the trigger. Had a acquaintance suggest the Gearing does really good in clan battle situations and division. For solo pretty much any DD but the Gearing. 

Legendary upgrade makes you as sneaky as Shimmy. 

New torp acceleration mod, gives your 16 km torps speed.

Use skill and 13.5 are really fast.

Although I just finished UU for Grozovoi and have a sudden love for that dd.

Members
0 posts
12 hours ago, Grimm262 said:

Been playing my Khaba to grind through the last stage of the UU mission in ranked. Its been rough so far. Just can't seem to find a win.

Last time I played ranked, Khab was my only T10. Talk about a painful grind in ranked. I know there are some really good players who can make it work, but man, Khab in ranked it about as fun as the dentist. 

Also, back when I played Khab in ranked, mostly all I had to worry about was Hindenberg, Zao, and Moskva. Now, in additiona to them, we've got Venencia, rocket planes, and Stalingrad, all of whom can chunck your HP reliably at 13.5 km. 

I've only seen one Khab in ranked this season and he didn't seem to be able to affect the match too much.

Edited by mrieder79
ETA; more scary cruisers

[PVE]
Members
4,793 posts
21,124 battles
26 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

Oh, and just after I posted this, I ran into a string of radar/CV games that pretty much shut me down. Lol. The MM knows!

Of the matches I've played in a DD, only one now, ^^^ is what I saw and should have not played in Ranked nor will I again.....  Stomps were the bigger issue to me: you are stomping or being stomped......  Nothing in between.  Pass.

[WOLFC]
Members
691 posts
26,327 battles

I've made it to Rank 11 bouncing between Grozovoi and Daring for the most part. I think the Arms Race format makes Ranked a lot more engaging.

• Cool 1