You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #141 - London

86 comments in this topic

[WOLF8]
Members
7,646 posts
6,371 battles

A great review as always, Miss Maus, lol. :Smile_great:

I eagerly wait for your review for the Tier VIII Premium British CA, Cheshire, since that bote actually interests me moar... but no rush. Please take your time, as I can wait... lel. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Blorgh2017

[ARGSY]
Members
22,445 posts
16,309 battles

PT, LS, SI, CE for the first ten?

Sounds like an ideal ship for any of my light cruiser captains to drop into. At some stage, I might want to consider a UK CA captain build that includes Demolition Expert. Sure, they're nobody's pyromaniacs, but every little bit helps...

Members
3,664 posts
42,552 battles

Excellent review. Now as for London's in game nickname.. Fat Bottom Girl. FBG for short.

Yeah, I had a similar impression with maneuvering. It's like steering a bus.

And that butter thing cracked me up. So if I miss a shot in London, I will just say Butterfingers!

It's far safer than the usual turrets syndrome expletives most players use when they miss.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,328 posts
10,459 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

PT, LS, SI, CE for the first ten?

Sounds like an ideal ship for any of my light cruiser captains to drop into. At some stage, I might want to consider a UK CA captain build that includes Demolition Expert. Sure, they're nobody's pyromaniacs, but every little bit helps...

The British Light Cruisers were never ships that were starved for commander's skills.  Their lack of HE shells gives them a glut of free commander skill points to spend wherever.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,455 posts

But the London is a heavy cruiser....

• Painfully short main battery gun range of 13.4km.
  • Very low DPM on main battery guns.
  • Low top speed, large turning radius -- she feels like a heavy cruiser.
  • Most of her AA firepower is very short ranged.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,445 posts
16,309 battles
14 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

The British Light Cruisers were never ships that were starved for commander's skills.  Their lack of HE shells gives them a glut of free commander skill points to spend wherever.

In their own way this makes them good for beginners, whose captains are usually starved of commander points. Not having to put them into HE shell-related skills eased the skill selection task immensely - and made the captains a reasonably good fit for the British premium DDs too. 

Yes, I know now that almost any other cruiser line (except the Italians) should be chosen first. But guess what I did. LOL.

Such is the lot of the teaboo. :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
2,185 posts

As usual, useful info, thanks very much.

That last line in this bit is so apt....them pervy  lolibotes.  :DD:

41 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

The short range of London's Hydroacoustic Search largely limits it to defensive uses ... unless, like me, you end up constantly running into destroyers that get the bright idea to charge your smoke when their torpedoes don't hit.  I'm sure it seems like a good idea to them at the time, but I chalk it up purely to emotional reasoning.  The lesson here, children, is that listening to your heart gets your face stoved in by 203mm HE shells -- don't do it.  London's DPM may not be great, but it's still good enough to put the smack down on a pervy lolibote trying to sneak a peek under another ship's smoke-skirt. 

[-OG-]
Members
287 posts
8,920 battles

I picked up the London, and while she wasn't nearly as overpowered as I expected she is still without question one of (if not the best) T6 heavy cruiser in the game. Its ability to smoke up and daka makes her extremely powerful, and if you get in a division with another London you can cruise around being constantly smoked up. Playing this ship I felt as though I felt like I was one mistake away from dying and as a result, I've adopted the idea of the best armour is not being shot. If you pick up this ship keep in mind that while powerful it's not invincible so play it cautiously until later in the game where you can become more aggressive.

[CAP]
Members
390 posts
16,541 battles

The biggest issue I've found with her is the 13.4km range guns.  That with high surface detection and 6.8km detection from smoke make her challenging to use.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Nice review, London seems to be a nice ship, high skill floor, but good ship overall. Sadly, T6 is not fun anymore, too many CVs.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,822 posts
15,416 battles

Thanks LWM, at least she'll be worth what I pay for her - nothing!

Cheshire the next review, or something else?

[KWF]
Members
5,267 posts
6,659 battles

Can't remember how long it was since we got a decent rewardbote.

Thanks for the review Miss Mouse, will be a decent addition.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,328 posts
10,459 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

Can't remember how long it was since we got a decent rewardbote.

Benham, summer of 2019.  It was just a nightmare to grind.  If you want the combination of a good ship + accessible grind, then Exeter this time last year.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
15,884 posts
12,803 battles

I am amazed at how WG managed to put out a T6 cruiser that underwhelms, not one, not two, but four underwhelming T6 cruiser premiums.

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
10,755 posts
18,502 battles

Great review LWM.

I found it a better ship than I thought that it would be in Co op battles. It's value to me is that 1. I will get the money that I spent on her in gold and 2. It makes the commander attainable for me with British token. Being a WOWs pixel ship collector type person it's nice when you don't feel ashamed to use a ship that you bought.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,952 posts
47,647 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Benham, summer of 2019.  It was just a nightmare to grind.  If you want the combination of a good ship + accessible grind, then Exeter this time last year.

Was the Exeter grind doable in Co-op?  For some reason, I didn't grind the Exeter.  I'm trying to remember why.

• Funny 1

Members
1,728 posts
11,839 battles
18 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

Was the Exeter grind doable in Co-op?  For some reason, I didn't grind the Exeter.  I'm trying to remember why.

If memory serves, the missions to do it were only available for tiers 6-8 and each one was only doable with a specific nation.(might even been specific types of ships)