You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

DDs Can't Do Anything Against CVs!

100 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,718 posts

It wasn't like that Ashashio was just hunting the CV and doing nothing else either. All the way to him he was fighting not just the CV but a Fletcher too.

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,147 posts
4,188 battles

Had the Lex turned away you would not have been able to catch them, your torps wouldn't catch them, and you can shell them till you run out of ammo without burning them down compliments of their magical fire resistance.

Good on you for the kill, but a bad decision on their part for not turning out.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,779 posts
2,648 battles

Anecdotal evidence is hardly compelling.  I've seen a DD lose 3/4s of it's health to a single squadron of Lex rocket planes within the first 3 minutes.  I've personally lost nearly half my health due to a single strike.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 3

[GOBI]
Members
1,087 posts
4,584 battles

Trying to burn down a CV is a waste of time, use AP close in and torps if you have them. Works for me???

[KMS]
[KMS]
3,683 posts
12,249 battles

I have never seen this dd played in the trenches.. always CV hunting.  It was made for that.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Yay... another random and edited screenshot... 

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Members
815 posts
18,374 battles
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It wasn't like that Ashashio was just hunting the CV and doing nothing else either. All the way to him he was fighting not just the CV but a Fletcher too.

Yup, but that's the exception rather than the rule. Poor play by both the Fletch and the CV to let him get that close.

Been in similar situations myself and its just impossible to deal with rocket planes and a dd gunboat and live. A competent CV will hit you even if you smoke up. It doesn't seem that the dd used his smoke until the last moment.

All that being said there is nothing more satisfying to me at least than punishing a CV that allow a dd too get that close.

My personal fave is below:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[OGZR]
Members
53 posts
9,125 battles
12 minutes ago, dechion said:

Had the Lex turned away you would not have been able to catch them, your torps wouldn't catch them, and you can shell them till you run out of ammo without burning them down compliments of their magical fire resistance.

Good on you for the kill, but a bad decision on their part for not turning out.

Yeah.  They need to remove the CVs magical fire resistance.  If a CV is spotted it deserves to be burned.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,718 posts
5 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

Anecdotal evidence is hardly compelling.  I've seen a DD lose 3/4s of it's health to a single squadron of Lex rocket planes within the first 3 minutes.  I've personally lost nearly half my health due to a single strike.

I think that you are confused as to what "anecdotal" means. My screenshot of a DD sinking a CV while under attack by said CV is empirical evidence. Your story is an anecdote.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[A-I-M]
Members
3,709 posts
23,839 battles

Anecdotal and rare.

Unicum CV players have commented here that it requires incompetence on the CVs part or a snowball loss for a DD to successfully approach. 

[SWCCS]
[SWCCS]
Members
12 posts

If a good cv player decide to focus a dd, his only option is to stay close of a strong AA ship.  The fighter squadron are op vs dd's.  No dd can come close of my cv and survive. If he smokes , i drop fighter on his head waiting for him to leave it ...

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I think that you are confused as to what "anecdotal" means. My screenshot of a DD sinking a CV while under attack by said CV is empirical evidence. Your story is an anecdote.

This is only evidence of poor gameplay from both ships. The DD probably went all the way around the map to kill the CV, probably being useless to his team. And the CV player being caught out of position and with no situations/no awarness. You got a screen shot of teo bad players... Yay...

• Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,718 posts

Those deepwater torps pack a punch vs CVs too. I was afraid that my teammate would not hit with enough of them but he did. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLFC]
Members
2,170 posts
10,913 battles
21 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

Anecdotal evidence is hardly compelling.

And yet in this eternal CV vs DD debate, that's all we get from the anti-CV people.

• Boring 1

[WOLFX]
1,147 posts
4,188 battles
25 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

Trying to burn down a CV is a waste of time, use AP close in and torps if you have them. Works for me???

With only a 2 knot speed advantage the Ashashio would be very hard pressed to chase down a Lexington before time expired, unless boxed in by a map edge. Torps from astern will run out of fuel before catching up, unless there is a map edge. 

Tried to check the minimap in the original post to see if there was any reason not to have turned out, but it's not included in the pic.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,170 posts
10,913 battles
8 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

Anecdotal and rare.

Unicum CV players have commented here that it requires incompetence on the CVs part or a snowball loss for a DD to successfully approach. 

The vast majority of CV players are not unicum - the unicum opinion about what should be done is not relevant.

• Cool 3

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,779 posts
2,648 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

No, your one single edited screenshot of a CV getting sunk by a DD is entirely anecdotal, because there is zero context.  How late in the game was it?  Did the CV actively target the DD before it reached him?  Was the CV player actually any good at CVs?  The only thing we have is a partial screenshot and your word.  Hardly empirical.

[STW-M]
Beta Testers
536 posts
8,920 battles
2 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

No, your one single edited screenshot of a CV getting sunk by a DD is entirely anecdotal, because there is zero context.  How late in the game was it?  Did the CV actively target the DD before it reached him?  Was the CV player actually any good at CVs?  The only thing we have is a partial screenshot and your word.  Hardly empirical.

im a potato akizuki driver. i have a 20% win rate in her and on average i get 2k damage a match when i drive her. Shes a slow dd turns like a brick and just really not all that nimble. But never once have i had issues with cvs attacking me. Infact i have seen many cvs with purple states in mm monitor in there cvs. they spend maybe 5 minutes tring to hurt me and get nothing more than mininamal damage on me and move on to farming a easier target. Cvs contribute to maybe at most 1% of my deaths. What kills me more is bumping into other dds where i get thrashed by long range  fire from cruiser and bbs while tring to fight off a lower concealment dd then me. So all you whiners over cvs just have to get used to it . if the slowest dd that turns more like a cruiser has no issue with cvs why can better dds who are so much more nimbler then her do worse? oh right its operator error as the person behind the keyboard dont want to learn how to nitigate damage like how all classes has to do. 

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[TARK]
Members
640 posts
5 minutes ago, usspaul3 said:

im a potato akizuki driver. i have a 20% win rate in her and on average i get 2k damage a match when i drive her. Shes a slow dd turns like a brick and just really not all that nimble. But never once have i had issues with cvs attacking me. Infact i have seen many cvs with purple states in mm monitor in there cvs. they spend maybe 5 minutes tring to hurt me and get nothing more than mininamal damage on me and move on to farming a easier target. Cvs contribute to maybe at most 1% of my deaths. What kills me more is bumping into other dds where i get thrashed by long range  fire from cruiser and bbs while tring to fight off a lower concealment dd then me. So all you whiners over cvs just have to get used to it . if the slowest dd that turns more like a cruiser has no issue with cvs why can better dds who are so much more nimbler then her do worse? oh right its operator error as the person behind the keyboard dont want to learn how to nitigate damage like how all classes has to do. 

Dudeness... the Akizuki, Kitakaze and Harugumo literally destroy planes like they are going out of style.  The CVs aren't attacking you because you essentially have CL level AA.

My record for plane kills is in an Akizuki, at 59.  

Now... take out the OTHER T8 IJN dd... and while you can probably stay unspotted longer, tell me how much fun you have ONCE spotted by a CV.  With your AA rating of 8, and inability to actually do more than 45 dps total including puff clouds.... I think you'll have a different story.

Edited by Eckarbeiter

[BBQ]
Beta Testers
202 posts
8 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

That short clip shows bad play by the CV player. THey did not follow their fleet on the Western edge of the map when the East failed. It also does not show the full battle to see how it collapsed, if the CV had time to escape or where they sent their planes throughout the battle as a couple of examples. At least there was some sort of replay, which is a start.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

Yup. This one single event absolutely absolves all other criticisms. You nailed it.

Members
3,354 posts
17,100 battles

I don't think the OP's one game example changes anything. I've tried to go after the CV many times in my DD only to be spotted by multiple ( and unlimited) planes doing Mach 2 and losing most of my health from endless rocket attacks. Usually too damaged or dead before getting into torp range. 

• Cool 2