Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Cavemn

No instructions for using radio location

19 comments in this topic

[G-4W]
Members
31 posts
5,098 battles

I have watched videos and read everything I can find on radiolocation but there is no clear set of instructions! Does anyone have an idea of where I can find them or is it aa wing and a prayer captain's skill?

[PISD]
Members
1,711 posts
5,856 battles

There is not. Basically it points you the direction of the closest enemy ships with a slight delay.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
10,755 posts
18,504 battles

You don't have to use it, it is always on. To use it is to understand it, to understand it, you have to just realize that it points the general direction of the ship closest to you. From there, it is up to your own brain to determine the many ways to use the information. Remember, that even though you see a ship in the direction it is pointing, it may not be that ship that it's pointing at.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,452 posts
16,322 battles

It points approximately at the nearest enemy ship, regardless of whether that ship is visible to you.

Knowing what it does is easy.

Knowing how best to use it? That's an art form, and only learned by experience. It requires careful deduction, and the ability to use that deductive reasoning under pressure. 

One thing is for sure - the fewer enemy ships left on the board, the more specific it becomes about where they are.

It reaches the pinnacle of usefulness when:

1) There is only one enemy ship left.

2) You and at least one other ship have RPF and can use it to triangulate that lone survivor's position. 

3) Said allied ship is as far separated from you as possible.

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai has YouTube vids on its use, including ways in which the skill can be used against the ship equipped with it, and I think Flamu has at least one too.

• Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
714 posts
12,811 battles

Watch some of the high tier play DD youtube videos (Destroyer Kuro.... I can't remember his full name, but I think he points out how he uses it).

[FEM]
Members
2,105 posts
17,353 battles

Unfortunately there isn't really anyone making youtube videos that plays at a very high level in DD or has good advice on Radio Location, but essentially it points to the center of the square on the map that the nearest ship is in. So as a result it may seem to stay still then flick over as someone crosses from square to square, don't expect it to be pointing exactly at the enemy's location, but use it more as an area guide.

[GT3]
Members
160 posts
7,089 battles

Gives a vague direction to nearest enemy.

Never use it to decide an area is clear... u might get nasty surprise.. Use it to know something IS there.

Remembering to pay it attention in the heat of battle.. Thats where i struggle.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,781 posts
2,653 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It points approximately at the nearest enemy ship, regardless of whether that ship is visible to you.

Knowing how best to use it? That's an art form, and only learned by experience. It requires careful deduction, and the ability to use that deductive reasoning under pressure. 

One thing is for sure - the fewer enemy ships left on the board, the more specific it becomes about where they are.

2) You and at least one other ship have RPF and can use it to triangulate that lone survivor's position. 

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai has YouTube vids on its use, including ways in which the skill can be used against the ship equipped with it, and I think Flamu has at least one too.

I would be very interested in those vids.

• Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
714 posts
12,811 battles
1 hour ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Unfortunately there isn't really anyone making youtube videos that plays at a very high level in DD or has good advice on Radio Location, but essentially it points to the center of the square on the map that the nearest ship is in. So as a result it may seem to stay still then flick over as someone crosses from square to square, don't expect it to be pointing exactly at the enemy's location, but use it more as an area guide.

Right - I haven't seen any videos that specifically are about how to use Radio Location, but there are those that talk about how to play a particular DD (or DD strategy) that use that skill and explain how that additional information helps determine what they do. To me, that's useful to understand.

[FEM]
Members
2,105 posts
17,353 battles
27 minutes ago, dashtardly said:

Right - I haven't seen any videos that specifically are about how to use Radio Location, but there are those that talk about how to play a particular DD (or DD strategy) that use that skill and explain how that additional information helps determine what they do. To me, that's useful to understand.

Right now the only people I've really seen make videos for DD play is Notser and kuro, neither of which are sources I could in good faith recommend. I wish some of the top DD players would make videos but they don't have the time or desire to do so.

[BOTO]
Members
1,422 posts
17,055 battles
2 hours ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Right now the only people I've really seen make videos for DD play is Notser and kuro, neither of which are sources I could in good faith recommend. I wish some of the top DD players would make videos but they don't have the time or desire to do so.

I've never been a big fan of Notser but what would your issue be with Kuro?  I think he's a more than competent DD player.  No, he's not a super-unicum solo DD player, but he's a lot better than the vast majority of DD players.

You're a solo unicum DD player, I'd watch any videos that you made.

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

RDF doesn't detect CVs.

[DOG]
Members
714 posts
12,811 battles
22 hours ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Well, I'm more of a cruiser player (DD's are my lowest played class - never played a CV and never will) and not in your class of play judging from the color of your stats in your signature. However, watching both Notser and Kuro has helped me improve my DD play. Hence why I would recommend them, particularly to someone who is struggling with how to play DDs.

I have also read the REDDIT posts on Russian DDs ( https://old.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/ct8uoz/the_uniscum_russian_destroyer_guide/ and https://old.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/ctnni6/russian_destroyer_guide_details_and_faq/ and https://old.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/9fbxrl/grozovoi_guide_harugumo_for_unicums/ ) by @DolphinPrincess.  I have not seen (nor looked for) any videos on DD play - I just happened to come across them on other general searches.

[FEM]
Members
2,105 posts
17,353 battles
4 minutes ago, dashtardly said:

Well, I'm more of a cruiser player (DD's are my lowest played class - never played a CV and never will) and not in your class of play judging from the color of your stats in your signature. However, watching both Notser and Kuro has helped me improve my DD play. Hence why I would recommend them, particularly to someone who is struggling with how to play DDs.

I have also read the REDDIT posts on Russian DDs ( https://old.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/ct8uoz/the_uniscum_russian_destroyer_guide/ and https://old.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/ctnni6/russian_destroyer_guide_details_and_faq/ and https://old.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/9fbxrl/grozovoi_guide_harugumo_for_unicums/ ) by @DolphinPrincess.  I have not seen (nor looked for) any videos on DD play - I just happened to come across them on other general searches.

It's good to always look to improve, everyone should regardless of their level, I will say one small piece of advice that will go a long long way and contradicts Notser's style, whenever possible you should reverse your ship into cap or at least swing around to be facing away. This gives you the most reaction time to incoming torps, and puts you in position to dodge them as well as run from someone pushing you or a radar that gets popped. All about conserving that HP.

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
227 posts
11,862 battles

I would suggest consulting the wiki first, https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Radio_Location

• Shows the direction to the nearest enemy.     
  • Functions on ships only (With Update 0.8.2 this skill does function on aircraft squadrons.)
  • The enemy is alerted that a bearing has been taken. (closest enemy, i.e. the one RL is pointing it, gets the LOCATED message on their screen)

Abbye

• Cool 1

[SCSA]
Members
27 posts
2,613 battles
7 minutes ago, Abbye said:
  • The enemy is alerted that a bearing has been taken. (closest enemy, i.e. the one RL is pointing it, gets the LOCATED message on their screen) 

Thank you!!!  I have been wondering what the heck that was.....

[BIGGS]
Members
3 posts
21,683 battles

Best way to get good at it.. Training room with moving bots that don't shoot. Pick a map with lots of islands for less LOS and watch the indicator change as a ship comes into view.

Sign in to follow this