You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Is There Any Hope For Us?

22 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,729 posts

I'll admit that I'm not the best CV player but it doesn't help when certain teammates keep whining at me because the enemy CV is attacking them. I do my best to lay down fighter support but it's hard to keep 11 players covered at all times when I have only one fighter consumable.

image.png.307cccb27007b09eb9b7ddb6f5aee552.png

This game was pretty-much lost. I was making mistakes with ordnance drops but the team also was making mistakes. We had let the enemy retain two of the three caps for far too long and they were way ahead of us in points. Time running out. Then, something of a miracle occured -- the best players on my team started to push! Did we still have a chance?

image.png.046abb1e85f1739f12e0a02a58d2e011.png

image.png.916fd7eb408667daa3208d98dd49db0f.png

https://replayswows.com/replay/81973#stats

Here are the last few exciting minutes of the game:

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Boring 2

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles

As Ricky Nelson sung " You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself "

Do what you think is best & try that is all that can be expected of you.

Of it is your fault that every thing bad happens to the team if you're the CV driver. :Smile_facepalm:

Edited by kgh52
  • Cool 1

[B-Z]
Members
200 posts
23,274 battles

You should drive your CV forward with the dds so the ship itself can also provide them aa cover while they yolo.

• Confused 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,729 posts
Just now, John_Crace said:

You should drive your CV forward with the dds so the ship itself can also provide them aa cover while they yolo.

The enemy CV did just that, as I discovered late in the game. Advancing my ship is one of the things I need to start doing. Like I said, I need to get better at playing CVs.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,524 posts
14,832 battles
6 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

As Ricky Nelson sung " You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself "

Do what you think is best & try that is all that can be expected of you.

Of it is your fault that even thing bad happens to the team if you're the CV driver. :Smile_facepalm:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,524 posts
14,832 battles

I was out in the Odin and someone was complaining that the CV hadn't done enough. He had three kills and done an great job keeping the enemy lit up, go figure.

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,209 posts

Wow the Odin. Sniff sniff . I want new German ships please....:Smile_sad:

People seem to forget about the old rts mode and the fighters that' could be launched simultaneous . Ya can't get em all m8.

Cheers! :Smile_honoring:

Members
3,664 posts
42,552 battles
32 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The enemy CV did just that, as I discovered late in the game. Advancing my ship is one of the things I need to start doing. Like I said, I need to get better at playing CVs.

It is not advancing but positioning yourself so that you are close to attack and defend. But you also have to stay undetected as we're. If your fleet pushes, then you deploy just behind them.

By closing the distance to the battle, you improve your combat effectiveness. You just have to be wary and watch your flank.

Members
3,664 posts
42,552 battles

Depending on whether you are facing massive AA or not, you must start the match maximizing your spotting.

Spotting is critical in the first 5 minutes. Focus is on DDs, and cruisers. You attack only targets of opportunity. Those are ships alone and their AA is sufficiently damaged or destroyed.

Once these ships are spotted, they get hit quite often. The longer you spot, the longer they get hit. It is at that point you hit low HP targets. Think bird of prey.

I often win matches just on perpetual spotting alone. Because good players need to see. And if you spot for them, then they will hit those targets.

Eventually you do get some in, you see a low HP ship here and there and that is when you attack.

Players make mistakes and in a BB it's usually the sailing alone one. Certain cruisers think they are invincible, but with just torpedoes, you force them to turn wide in relation to the Battleships of your team. You turn a Henri and it's wide for a BB because you forced a turn, then that cruiser is deleted. So you might not land a fatal blow but herding ships so your team has a better firing position is a game changer.

In my matches I only drop fighters if I am close, and it's critical. Otherwise I use fighter drops for spotting. The more you drop across a map in key places, the better the likelihood of spotting the enemy early so your team is better prepared.

Players in DDs usually are more than capable of defense from air attack, but if you decide to help one, then only do so if you have only one on the team.

More than one and you realistically can't save more than one DD.

And that lone DD must penetrate deep to the enemy in order to be effective. If DDs are not doing that, then spotting is compromised.

You will have teams that are not as capable as you like, so be aware of what they are doing and adapt if something is not working.

It is at these moments that you have to make tough decisions. Just do what you can and play smart.

Good luck

[B-Z]
Members
200 posts
23,274 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Ah. Well that backfired. Should have put the /s in. You just can't protect a dd how exposes himself too much.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,122 posts
11,075 battles

So our clan CV main, whom we refer to as the angel of death, has gone missing, likely because of work reasons, and my main Executive officer twisted my arm into doing CV tonight for Naval Battles to pull ahead of the European team we were facing. After getting a confederate in Ark Royal, I was feeling pretty good. Then we teamed up for a Midway battle, and our other flank just collapsed. We were the last two ships on our team alive. He was playing a Yoshino at range, while I was getting chased ring around the rosie around an island by a Stalingrad. Sadly, I am pretty sure I would have flooded that Stalingrad to death and gotten a flesh wound if my buddy had held out just a little longer. We did everything we could have to win that. Ultimately, this is a team game, and if your teammates lose hard enough, you are going to lose too, regardless what ship type you are in.

Edited by Shannon_Lindsey

Members
443 posts
451 battles

Who is this “us” of which you speak, Kemosahbee?

If you mean CVs, my Magic 8-Ball says...Doubtful

If you mean destroyers who run off by themselves and die weeping because they didn’t get fighter cover, 8-Ball says...No

Gosh, what a negative toy! Who thought this would be a good development tool?

0 posts

It happens.

I had a recent game, where I was busy spotting for and defending my team's dds with fighter consumeables for much of the battle, especially for a certain Kidd (you know, that t8 dd reputed to have such terrible AA?). Well, that Kidd was eventually sunk despite my efforts. End of battle nears, battle chat and a certain dd player pipes up"Our CV was bad, zero air cover, no spotting" of course we won, and of course I came top in the team ^^

Just laugh and move on, time to play botes is too short to worry about certain kidds and their ilk.

[TORCH]
Members
667 posts
17,166 battles
6 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I often win matches just on perpetual spotting alone. Because good players need to see. And if you spot for them, then they will hit those targets.

Eventually you do get some in, you see a low HP ship here and there and that is when you attack.

Players make mistakes and in a BB it's usually the sailing alone one. Certain cruisers think they are invincible, but with just torpedoes, you force them to turn wide in relation to the Battleships of your team. You turn a Henri and it's wide for a BB because you forced a turn, then that cruiser is deleted. So you might not land a fatal blow but herding ships so your team has a better firing position is a game changer.

As I've posted on the forum several times, THIS is the true effect of CVs in a game...at least, well-played CVs.  The value of a well-played CV is less about the direct damage he does, and much more about the indirect damage - the damage he makes possible, and the damage that the ships he's hounding DON'T inflict.  It's a rare player who can maneuver to dodge aircraft ordnance, and effectively manage his AA, and still keep effectively firing his guns at a target - and every time a ship doesn't fire it's guns, that's damage the other team doesn't take.  And how many times have I successfully turned into an aircraft torpedo drop, only to find I've also successfully turned broadside to a BB?  Or been forced out from behind my nice, safe island by an air attack?

A well-played CV is a huge plus for your team, and red one is a huge problem.

Members
117 posts
6,918 battles

My CVs are all in the vault but I pulled out my Midway for a co-op battle and put it right back in the vault

I don't know what the solution is but CVs are not worth playing due to the insane AA

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,825 battles
8 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I'll admit that I'm not the best CV player but it doesn't help when certain teammates keep whining at me because the enemy CV is attacking them. I do my best to lay down fighter support but it's hard to keep 11 players covered at all times when I have only one fighter consumable.

This game was pretty-much lost. I was making mistakes with ordnance drops but the team also was making mistakes. We had let the enemy retain two of the three caps for far too long and they were way ahead of us in points. Time running out. Then, something of a miracle occured -- the best players on my team started to push! Did we still have a Chance?

No, there's absolutely no hope and the sooner you give up - the better :)

Be advised … Hope is not a strategy!

Edited by Commander_367

[WOLFG]
Members
31,394 posts
9,655 battles
10 hours ago, kgh52 said:

As Ricky Nelson sung " You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself"

I would think that more appropriate advice if you can't please anyone.....:Smile_trollface:

[TARK]
Members
640 posts
11 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

This game was pretty-much lost. I was making mistakes with ordnance drops but the team also was making mistakes. We had let the enemy retain two of the three caps for far too long and they were way ahead of us in points. Time running out. Then, something of a miracle occured -- the best players on my team started to push! Did we still have a chance?

image.png.046abb1e85f1739f12e0a02a58d2e011.png

image.png.916fd7eb408667daa3208d98dd49db0f.png

https://replayswows.com/replay/81973#stats

Here are the last few exciting minutes of the game:

I've not enjoyed this game as much as I do when chat is fully disabled, and I only react to map pings and the in-game requests.  So much more fun.

[NONE]
Members
3,757 posts
11 hours ago, John_Crace said:

I like your thinking. :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLFG]
Members
31,394 posts
9,655 battles
1 hour ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Oh please don't. LOL

Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes. I get it from my mother lol.