You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Khafni

Why would someone tell a DD to

16 comments in this topic

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,175 posts
22,715 battles

stop maneuvering to sink a CV?

I am chasing down an Implacable in my Z-39. The Z-bote has great torps and decent AA but her guns are the slow-firing 150's and they take their good old-fashioned time to turn. When I started the chase both of us were at full health. I am trying my best to survive long enough to put the CV down and a team mate pipes up with

image.png.119d8e24b75ccbcdee0a8bf222fbf77a.png

IMHO I could NOT stop maneuvering and expect to survive to sink the CV. If the CV was just a bit better none of my maneuvering would have worked , either. I had a bear of a time keeping guns on target but the outcome was inevitable. We had two caps and time to make up the difference unless the CV would've sunk me first.

Spoiler

tempsnip.thumb.png.4c653237242173d25490b9d3a97909b2.png

It seems to me that some peeps are clueless to what it takes for a DD to solo-kill a CV that is actively trying to take you out. If only I could put them in my shoes for the moment...

This was a great game, BTW. One of those that make you sweat the details!

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,894 posts
28,280 battles

Honestly, it doesn't seem worth chasing CVs in DDs once you reach tier 6.  Tier 4 CVs are so slow that you can run them down pretty easily, but tier 6+ CVs are pretty fast and very difficult to run down, as long as the CV player is paying enough attention to start running when he's spotted.  Also, most CVs seem very hard to damage with DD guns whose shells are very floaty (USN DDs, for example), because they'll just shatter or ricochet off the flight deck.  OTOH, DDs with nice flat shell arcs can be quite effective for gunning down CVs, particularly if you have good AP and a broadside to shoot at.  

The problem is, can you do enough damage to the CV before his planes kill you.

Mind you, sometimes, chasing the CV can be beneficial to your team, if your team can afford to risk losing your DD, because that DD will be  drawing all of the CV's attention, giving the rest of your team time to focus on the other enemy ships.  In a sense, the DD is tanking damage for the team by trying to run down and sink the enemy CV, even if he fails to sink him, *IF* the DD can keep the CV occupied long enough.

Members
3,899 posts
14,067 battles

Maybe he thinks, accuracy is higher in non moving ships. lol. Who knows, the playerbase is generally hilarious. 

• Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,362 battles
40 minutes ago, Khafni said:

It seems to me that some peeps are clueless

Yes, this is the reason, and the end of the discussion. Let me guess; was this guy sniping in a German BB?

Members
3,669 posts
42,672 battles
33 minutes ago, Khafni said:

stop maneuvering to sink a CV?

I am chasing down an Implacable in my Z-39. The Z-bote has great torps and decent AA but her guns are the slow-firing 150's and they take their good old-fashioned time to turn. When I started the chase both of us were at full health. I am trying my best to survive long enough to put the CV down and a team mate pipes up with

image.png.119d8e24b75ccbcdee0a8bf222fbf77a.png

IMHO I could NOT stop maneuvering and expect to survive to sink the CV. If the CV was just a bit better none of my maneuvering would have worked , either. I had a bear of a time keeping guns on target but the outcome was inevitable. We had two caps and time to make up the difference unless the CV would've sunk me first.

Reveal hidden contents

tempsnip.thumb.png.4c653237242173d25490b9d3a97909b2.png

It seems to me that some peeps are clueless to what it takes for a DD to solo-kill a CV that is actively trying to take you out. If only I could put them in my shoes for the moment...

This was a great game, BTW. One of those that make you sweat the details!

Seems like you had a great time. Yeah, not so easy to get a CV if you are his target.

In my CV Hakuryu, I would see a DD getting close, just not quite torpedo range. But I relentlessness force the DD to turn by dropping torps. I rocket if near dead. But forcing a DD is not always easy, but when you do, the DD eventually gets hit by something you drop and if it hits the engine, then the DD is toast.

DD players are usually good at dodging rockets, but seldom torps. Yet all it takes is just 1 hit and half the HP is gone. One more, sunk.

Sounds like you had a rough go but you prevailed.

I sail all ships and I know your perspective as a DD captain. So I know how difficult it was.

Yes, many players take that for granted because they never sailed in a DD.

It is why I encourage players to at least try other ship types just so you know what they are capable of and the conditions during battle. It is by gaining perspective that it makes you a better player.

You did great considering the circumstances.

[K0]
Members
211 posts
4,862 battles

I've chased down or make a hearty attempt to a sink carrier in my Z-39 several times. I figure in Z-39 vs carrier attacks i've been about 50% successful.  You are gonna have to maneuver while keeping your AP on target until you can get torps in. Why worry about what an observer thinks if your doing what you think is best and especially if it is working.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,199 posts
12,101 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

I had a bear of a time keeping guns on target

This is why he said it - keeping the guns on target you might take it out a little faster.

That said - he likely does not understand just how much maneuvering it can take to throw a CV off as sometimes you need a little more than a 1 second press to the right or left like against some ships. Especially because Implacable can be extremely lethal even without TB's (to prove a point when someone tried to say abominable was OP cause it did 100k damage in 1 match I did the same with Implacable without using my TB's).

[RKLES]
Members
12,592 posts
14,320 battles
2 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

Maybe he thinks, accuracy is higher in non moving ships. lol. Who knows, the playerbase is generally hilarious. 

Well we do have a fair number of WOT players coming over to WOW and in WOT you do have far better accuracy if you sit still and take careful aim. So they might be used to those mechanics. Only WOWs is an entirely different ballgame and your weapons are unaffected by being on the move and actually it’s typically more effective for your warship to be on the move.

Also the only way to get naval guns back then to be truly still for firing was to use them as shore based weapons in which case I have hear it stated that 1 shore gun could be worth 3 guns at sea because the water moves and causes added inaccuracy.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,917 posts
25,163 battles

People expect weird sh*t from ships they don't play.  I still remember when a bunch of guys were mad at our DD who wouldn't go in the cap to secure it and spot for them.

Which was funny, because he had just spotted a Fletcher in the cap and briefly an enemy Des Moines before it ducked into an island that was close to the cap.

I was laughing because I wondered if my teammates saw what I saw and the dangers they presented to any of our DDs trying to get into that cap with those 2 threats alone in the area... Not to mention the other enemy ships further back waiting to shoot up whatever Fletcher would detect or what the Des Moines radar would find.

Our DD smartly told them to go pound sand.

[GOB]
Members
2,523 posts

You will find MANY experts on the ship you are driving and exactly how you should be driving it amongst the dead.

• Cool 1

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
10,728 battles

Had a ranked game today where the fleet admiral told our Thunderer, a great long range sniper BB, to push hard into the centre. The enemy had two Smolensks, one each side of the centre area. They had just burned a Krem to the waterline in 3 minutes flat. Thank goodness the Thunderer ignored him.

The best use of chat is for calling primary targets, assuming folks take notice of that.

[BLEP]
Members
558 posts
12,448 battles

If you are a lone DD chasing me in my CV you are dead.... period. Now if you have backup... diff story depending on the backup

Edited by Gospel_

[TORCH]
Members
667 posts
17,188 battles
10 hours ago, Umikami said:
11 hours ago, Khafni said:

It seems to me that some peeps are clueless

Yes, this is the reason, and the end of the discussion. Let me guess; was this guy sniping in a German BB?

More likely he was already dead.  Only the dead have the time to type long missives in chat.  Those, like OP, who are still playing are way too busy with other, far more productive pursuits.

Edited by Midshipman_Hornblower

[TRU]
Members
713 posts
20,660 battles
19 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

More likely he was already dead.  Only the dead have the time to type long missives in chat.  Those, like OP, who are still playing are way to busy with other, far more productive pursuits.

Yes.  We had an admiral of the navy who was already dead shouting at me about the same exact situation in a ranked game yesterday.  I was in my Shimmy and the enemy carrier who stood alone knew instantly when I had spotted him.  He threw everything he had at me and eventually I had to smoke up and let my last remaining ally capture the base.  I would nose out of my smoke to see the vultures still circling and get back in the smoke.  The dead Admiral was livid saying that we were going to let their CV win and that I sucked, was a terrible person, etc.  Only when I saw the carrier go for my ally did I hit engine boost and launch 15 torps at him. First two sets just barely missed but the last set devstruck him.  Felt great.

Damn naysayers!

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,592 posts
14,320 battles
14 hours ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, it doesn't seem worth chasing CVs in DDs once you reach tier 6.  Tier 4 CVs are so slow that you can run them down pretty easily, but tier 6+ CVs are pretty fast and very difficult to run down, as long as the CV player is paying enough attention to start running when he's spotted.  Also, most CVs seem very hard to damage with DD guns whose shells are very floaty (USN DDs, for example), because they'll just shatter or ricochet off the flight deck.  OTOH, DDs with nice flat shell arcs can be quite effective for gunning down CVs, particularly if you have good AP and a broadside to shoot at.  

The problem is, can you do enough damage to the CV before his planes kill you.

Mind you, sometimes, chasing the CV can be beneficial to your team, if your team can afford to risk losing your DD, because that DD will be  drawing all of the CV's attention, giving the rest of your team time to focus on the other enemy ships.  In a sense, the DD is tanking damage for the team by trying to run down and sink the enemy CV, even if he fails to sink him, *IF* the DD can keep the CV occupied long enough.

It can be risky, but if you are close enough to the CV, have good torpedoes, high enough HP, and a fast DD you can dash into point blank rank or as close as possible to increase the odds that enough torps hit the CV to dev strike it. That tends to be the more reliable method of sinking a CV as opposed to trying to gun it down between DD shell pen, air attacks, and drawing a lot of attention to your DD. On the other hand CV or CVs under threat from a DD behind their lines can prove a great distraction for the enemy team and allow your team to gain the upper hand, have had this happen enough times. And if distraction is the goal then using guns could be a tactic. But of course we are talking situations within situational strategies. All depends on the MM, map, CV types, the positions, and even your DD.

Another fun trick that I am not certain is still viable which is to have your French DD outfitted to go at the maximum possible speed, slip through enemy lines early, and sink the enemy CV ASAP. Was fun to do soon after the French DD release and was reasonably effective, not to mention had a fun psychological effect on some of the CVs as a fair number of French DDs were doing that sort of thing at the time. And CV Aircraft were not yet accustomed to targeting DDs traveling as fast as a French DDs under speed boost and Sierra Mike flags. And was not just tier 4 CVs either, tiers 6,8, and 10 were vulnerable as well since it was unexpected for a CV to fall under attack so quickly and was not too much of a gap time wise between the DD getting spotted and being able to effectively torp the CV. 

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,175 posts
22,715 battles
15 hours ago, Umikami said:

5 hours ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

More likely he was already dead.  Only the dead have the time to type long missives in chat.  Those, like OP, who are still playing are way too busy with other, far more productive pursuits.

The captain was a BB driver and already dead. Definitely an arm chair admiral at the time and, IMHO, clueless about the real "situation on the ground".