You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
wolfkind252

Captains M vs F

107 comments in this topic

[NEMO]
Members
829 posts
3,025 battles

How do I get a female captain? All mine are cute, but they are all guys, I think the world has female captains now days

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

Members
1,483 posts
10,393 battles

There are also weeb girls and Dasha captains if you got them when they were available.

• Boring 1

0 posts
23 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

How do I get a female captain? All mine are cute, but they are all guys, I think the world has female captains now days

WGLesta is still living in the 1950s, so don't get your hopes up for any female captains other than for cartoonish substitutes/ But, you may be surprised to know, the world has always had female captains, and sailors. It's just they don't teach you that in school, or show that in Hollywood movies. I have made a few OPs on thjis topic here and there, try using the search function. But for captains, look up women and piracy. For naval warfare and women, certain navies have historically been more flexible than others, I recommend you look at the history of women in the Royal Navy (you'd be surprised!)/

I am still waiting for a captain with black features. You'd think with all the fantasy ships and fantasy special captains in WOWS, this wouldn't be hard, but apparantly black avatars require immense dev resources and and are exceedingly costly to code, n'est ce pas @Hapa_Fodder ? Obviously Lesta cannot afford female captains, the graphic artists demand too high a salary for that, while females cause graphics cards to melt down.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 5

[NEMO]
Members
829 posts
3,025 battles
29 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

There's a mod pack that changes all your captains to female.

oh really where is that one at?

And how do I install it

5 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

WGLesta is still living in the 1950s, so don't get your hopes up for any female captains other than for cartoonish substitutes/ But, you may be surprised to know, the world has always had female captains, and sailors. It's just they don't teach you that in school, or show that in Hollywood movies. I have made a few OPs on thjis topic here and there, try using the search function. But for captains, look up women and piracy. For naval warfare and women, certain navies have historically been more flexible than others, I recommend you look at the history of women in the Royal Navy (you'd be surprised!)/

I am still waiting for a captain with black features. You'd think with all the fantasy ships and fantasy special captains in WOWS, this wouldn't be hard, but apparantly black avatars require immense dev resources and and are exceedingly costly to code, n'est ce pas @Hapa_Fodder ? Obviously Lesta cannot afford female captains, the graphic artists demand too high a salary for that, while females cause graphics cards to melt down.

I'd like to Captain a ship but when I'm all grown up I'll probably be Alberta's first Female cattle ranch owner, and the ranch is more important to me than going anywhere, its been in the family for generations

LOL female captains would probably make my graphics card happy LOL

Edited by wolfkind252
  • Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,862 posts
17,496 battles

I had offered a suggestion for three special captains. Two were women. One was a CV centered captain Fem and the other was a BB centered captain being LWM.

With their permission of course. 

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776
  • Cool 2

0 posts
15 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

are they just anime cartoons or actual WOW looking captains

anime cartoons in mods, and available from WG as premium items.

there are no female captains drawn in a manner equivalent to our default male captains, neither in the client, nor in any of the mods, I'm sorry to say.

Of course, hypocrisy of hypocrisies, a white male unhistorical ice hockey star is apparantly ok material for default graphic representation : image.png.7fda6392bba54b2ddb1f69c3ce7436b3.png 

Also until recently, this guy, Steve, Seagal;

image.png.920c8b82dfb3fb9f64340b2efeb37996.png 

until he became too embarrassing for WOWS, the accumulated years of sexual assault/harrassment allegations finally becoming too much for WOWS public relations to pretend into inexistence.

• Boring 1

Members
3,899 posts
14,067 battles
4 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

anime cartoons in mods, and available from WG as premium items.

there are no female captains drawn in a manner equivalent to our default male captains, neither in the client, nor in any of the mods, I'm sorry to say.

Except Dasha.

But I dont think you can acquire those anymore. 

Edited by Rollingonit

Members
3,669 posts
42,672 battles
22 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Except Dasha.

But I dont think you can acquire those anymore. 

I got several Ovetchkins and even more Dashas. I look forward to a Dasha in dress whites for US Navy.

I have all if most of the Arp, and Azur Lane ones too.

If it's available in the shop and I don't have at least one, I get one.

It would be nice if they reintroduce the Dashas. And add a few variations as well.

WG used to model some from employees at St Petersburg office. Which is cool.

I think Philigula would sell. But he is with console.

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
8 hours ago, LoveBote said:

There were female crew members but no female captains that I can think of from that time period. Same thing goes for black people. They might introduce another sports captain like David Ovchenkin whose black but that's about it. It has been mentioned before that there are mods. Personally, I'm okay with the game not having female or male captains because I don't want it to turn out like COD WW2 or Battlefield V (shudders).

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles
6 hours ago, LoveBote said:

Of course, hypocrisy of hypocrisies, a white male unhistorical ice hockey star is apparantly ok material for default graphic representation : image.png.7fda6392bba54b2ddb1f69c3ce7436b3.png 

Also until recently, this guy, Steve, Seagal;

image.png.920c8b82dfb3fb9f64340b2efeb37996.png 

It's okay to be a white male. Right? :Smile_hiding:

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Funny 1

Beta Testers
694 posts
3,697 battles

Mermaids Wrath is worth it just for the voices alone. Makes the game so much better with a lot more character.

• Boring 1

Members
3,669 posts
42,672 battles
9 minutes ago, _Caliph_ said:

It's okay to be a white male. Right? :Smile_hiding:

I like Ovetchkin. I have seen him play.

But yes, a big disparity of women being represented. And I am talking about the historical women in some of the Navies around the world.

Now if WG could put in a fantasy or well known woman up as a featured captain, I think they passed up a lot of CCs that could fit that criteria.

One is a notable rascal that occasionally wears pirate stuff, although the Azur Lane promo actually put that CC and the second one a well known streamer in to the spotlight as they both wore costumes for a charity.

Then there are some that play both Warships and tanks.

It could be that putting together an agreement on using a woman's likeness is problematic.  I mean, how would such a financial arrangement be made?

These women do have to get paid.

So, WG could dig up some history and introduce these women captains of distinction. And they can also test the waters of introducing a few women streamers that play the game.

I believe it is an untapped source and an opportunity that cannot be missed.

What does WG have to lose?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,736 posts
9 hours ago, wolfkind252 said:

when I'm all grown up I'll probably be Alberta's first Female cattle ranch owner

• Cool 1

Members
1,674 posts
13,384 battles
11 hours ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

i do not suggest this.

all voices sound  like 8 year old anime girls

Edit: this game lack a serious problem with "normal" female kapatane.  Then when you bring up how much dumb anime mod is used, you get down voted and troll  by those who make these type of mod. In they eyes, everything should be anime.

Is not how world is ( or most adult player ).

I do not think every kapatane should be woman, but having a few would be very nice. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly_Graf

https://navylive.dodlive.mil/2012/12/26/first-female-commanding-officer-of-a-u-s-navy-warship/

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2018/03/08/aviator-vying-to-be-navys-first-female-co-of-an-aircraft-carrier/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/05/meet-japans-only-female-warship-captain/

https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php/news/defence-news/2016/january-2016-navy-naval-forces-defense-industry-technology-maritime-security-global-news/3511-french-navy-appointed-the-first-female-officer-to-command-a-frigate.html

Edited by LadyAnesjka
  • Cool 2

0 posts
2 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

It could be that putting together an agreement on using a woman's likeness is problematic.  I mean, how would such a financial arrangement be made?

These women do have to get paid.

the default captains use a blend of archive portraits from the early 20 th c, to anonymize them. Default female captains, should be quite easy to do, notwithstanding the increased load on dev resources, pay checks, coding requirements (millions of lines obviously) and our PC minimum requirements (32 GB virtual memory..). Unique captains could also be ficticious, many of our current Unique Captains are (von Jutland brothers, for example). Special captains, based off living people, are perfectly affordable, either by using models/actors, or by licensing popular community individuals. In this manner, Captain Jingles entered the game.

I'd like to see some basic equivalency in the game which would require :

1. In the carrousel of default (non historical) captains, a selection of female portraits
  2. At least one unique female captain per major WOWS nation
  3. At least one popular community figure female captain other than Dasha (a WG employee).
  4. At least one Legendary female captain based off a historical figure, either a sailor (plenty of examples from the age of sail) or a ship captain (many famous female pirate captains to choose from the days of sail) or more modern times (again, no shortage of examples, I am sure candidates could be found, for far less cost than Steven Seagal - who never served in any navy as far as I recall!).
  • Boring 1

Members
3,669 posts
42,672 battles
10 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

the default captains use a blend of archive portraits from the early 20 th c, to anonymize them. Default female captains, should be quite easy to do, notwithstanding the increased load on dev resources, pay checks, coding requirements (millions of lines obviously) and our PC minimum requirements (32 GB virtual memory..). Unique captains could also be ficticious, many of our current Unique Captains are (von Jutland brothers, for example). Special captains, based off living people, are perfectly affordable, either by using models/actors, or by licensing popular community individuals. In this manner, Captain Jingles entered the game.

I'd like to see some basic equivalency in the game which would require :

1. In the carrousel of default (non historical) captains, a selection of female portraits
  2. At least one unique female captain per major WOWS nation
  3. At least one popular community figure female captain other than Dasha (a WG employee).
  4. At least one Legendary female captain based off a historical figure, either a sailor (plenty of examples from the age of sail) or a ship captain (many famous female pirate captains to choose from from the days of sail) or more modern times (again, no shortage of examples, I am sure candidates could be found, for far less cost than Steven Seagal - who never served in any navy as far as I recall!).

Excellent point. If WG can delve into history or just certain players in the community, it would be beneficial to them.

I would like John Paul Jones, but women pirates of the sailing era are far more intriguing. It would be great to see more of this.

It would also be great to read each of their back stories. Such history overlooked or forgotten intentionally must be told.

If nothing, to show how women and men that sailed throughout history dealt with whatever adversity of their era.

History always teaches us something and to leave things out only undermines our future.

Members
3,669 posts
42,672 battles

I had two grandmother's that each went through and survived the great depression.

On my father's side, my grandmother raised 8. Not an easy task when you are poor. But each one of them worked a dairy and eventually found jobs or served in WW2 and Korea.

On my mother's side, my grandmother raised 6 in Mexico. During the depression and also through some of the most turbulent years in Mexico.

It was a long road to here, but I am here because of them.

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,620 posts
3,633 battles
12 hours ago, LoveBote said:

This is pretty good point. 

@Hapa_Fodder

[ARGSY]
Members
22,482 posts
16,362 battles
3 hours ago, LoveBote said:

I'd like to see some basic equivalency in the game

Show me female captains who served in combat or in prominent non-combat staff positions in the era represented within the game, please.

I will accept Admiral Grace Hopper as a start, although her seniority was in a much later era.

I suspect your calls will fall on deaf ears because WG will quite rightly say that almost all of the anime captains and quite a few of the Halloween and Space captains are female, with Fishy and the Robo-Dolphin captain being in the ambiguous/unsettled category; therefore female and even ambiguous representation is already in the game. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1