Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfswetpaws

Purchased the "new computer" I've been hemming & hawing about.

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,723
[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles

I purchased a new Laptop computer. 

I've been in discussion with @Navalpride33 and @Snargfargle about it in another topic thread (to the point where I felt we had highjacked the original thread, so I started this topic instead of continuing there).

It is an Acer Nitro-5, with the following features:
"Acer - Nitro 5 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 - 512GB Solid State Drive ..."

17.3 inch IPS display 1920x1080 Full HD resolution

Higher price range than I'd originally intended, but has features that are more future-proof than the older and less powerful video cards that I'd been looking at (GeForce GTX 1650 versus GeForce GTX 1050 versus AMD Raedon RTX560).
Does have the 512 GB SSD drive size I wanted.  Has an Intel CPU instead of an AMD CPU that I'd been looking at.
Has an appropriate keyboard for my purposes.
I'll probably upgrade the RAM to 16 GB or more at some future date.  For now, "Eight is enough".  ;-)

Purchased from a local retailer.  I'll include a link, below.

It is a huge performance boost versus my Lenovo G50 with an AMD A6 processor, integrated Raedon R4 graphics and 4GB of RAM.

I'm hoping the improved hardware will provide me with a smoother gaming experience.

See you on the virtual seas, everyone.  :-)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-17-3-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-512gb-solid-state-drive-black/6345056.p?skuId=6345056

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,745
[WORX]
Members
12,063 posts
19,521 battles
4 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory

I dont like this ^^....

I feel like you're going to have to upgrade at the ladder half of the year (give or take).

If you're happy then, Coo.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,822
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,734 posts

I just installed a RX 570 in my system, which has a Passmark score of 6974. This allowed me to play WOWS at nearly the highest graphics settings without stuttering, even though my Phenom II 965 is bottlenecking the system a bit. Your video card choice has a Passmark score of 7927, which is higher than mine and most i5s are faster than the CPU I've got in my system. Therefore, you shouldn't have any issue running the game at its highest settings.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,723
[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles
3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I dont like this ^^....

I feel like you're going to have to upgrade at the ladder half of the year (give or take).

If you're happy then, Coo.

Yeah, I wanted an AMD Ryzen 5.  :-)

I changed my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,069
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,132 posts
11,833 battles

Good luck to you @Wolfswetpaws I hope it bring years of solid game play . I need to upgrade I have to play low settings however I have 2 kids in college and 3 in high school still so I'm stuck at low graphics for a while .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,723
[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

I just installed a RX 570 in my system, which has a Passmark score of 6974. This allowed me to play WOWS at nearly the highest graphics settings without stuttering, even though my Phenom II 965 is bottlenecking the system a bit. Your video card choice has a Passmark score of 7927, which is higher than mine and most i5s are faster than the CPU I've got in my system. Therefore, you shouldn't have any issue running the game at its highest settings.

Thanks.  :-)

I was considering Ryzen 5 CPU with either AMD Raedon RX560 or Nvidia GeForce1050.  
While they would've been significantly better than my previous system, they weren't priced competitively in dollar-per-performance value for the money (where & when I was shopping).
[15.6" displays, 256GB SSD drives, 8GB RAM, slower GPU cards & etc. priced at $689 for AMD Ryzen and at $600 for an Intel I5 version].

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,745
[WORX]
Members
12,063 posts
19,521 battles
10 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Yeah, I wanted an AMD Ryzen 5.  :-)

I changed my mind.

From what I see, its a i5 quad core so its the bare minimum for WOWS. So if you went with cores instead of the "i," IMO you got the bare minimum for now type deal..

Its not a long term solution for what the link says you spent $$ on...  HOWEVER, for now on, its a great improvement... So run till the wheels fall off.

Edited by Navalpride33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,723
[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles
2 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Good luck to you @Wolfswetpaws I hope it bring years of solid game play . I need to upgrade I have to play low settings however I have 2 kids in college and 3 in high school still so I'm stuck at low graphics for a while .

Thanks.  I know how that feels.  I still managed to have many fun games, though.  And I hope you continue to do so, too.  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,723
[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles
2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

From what I see, its a i5 quad core so its the bare minimum for WOWS. So if you went with cores instead of the "i," IMO you got the bare minimum for now type deal..

Its not a long term solution for what the link says you spent $$ on...  HOWEVER, for no on, its a great improvement... So run till the wheels fall off.

Yep.  :-)

The other attraction was that it is retailed without a 3rd-party company opening it up to break the manufacturer seals and install upgrades (thus preserving the warranty chain of custody).  While it may be a minor quibble, there it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,723
[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles

The keyboard has full WASD keys and Arrow keys (up/down left/right) which are highlighted.  Seems like a superior layout than some other keyboard layouts on more "general purpose" laptops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
14 posts
742 battles
7 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Good luck to you @Wolfswetpaws I hope it bring years of solid game play . I need to upgrade I have to play low settings however I have 2 kids in college and 3 in high school still so I'm stuck at low graphics for a while .

Try GeForce Now

 

playing at maximum graphics for $5 a month on my 2015 MacBook Air. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,723
[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles

I gotta say, going from a 30 FPS and 80 to 100+ millisecond ping situation to a situation wherein the Frames-per-second are 70 to 80 FPS and the ping/lag is in the high 40's to low 50+ milliseconds is nice.  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,669 posts
42,633 battles
3 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I purchased a new Laptop computer. 

I've been in discussion with @Navalpride33 and @Snargfargle about it in another topic thread (to the point where I felt we had highjacked the original thread, so I started this topic instead of continuing there).

It is an Acer Nitro-5, with the following features:
"Acer - Nitro 5 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 - 512GB Solid State Drive ..."

17.3 inch IPS display 1920x1080 Full HD resolution

Higher price range than I'd originally intended, but has features that are more future-proof than the older and less powerful video cards that I'd been looking at (GeForce GTX 1650 versus GeForce GTX 1050 versus AMD Raedon RTX560).
Does have the 512 GB SSD drive size I wanted.  Has an Intel CPU instead of an AMD CPU that I'd been looking at.
Has an appropriate keyboard for my purposes.
I'll probably upgrade the RAM to 16 GB or more at some future date.  For now, "Eight is enough".  ;-)

Purchased from a local retailer.  I'll include a link, below.

It is a huge performance boost versus my Lenovo G50 with an AMD A6 processor, integrated Raedon R4 graphics and 4GB of RAM.

I'm hoping the improved hardware will provide me with a smoother gaming experience.

See you on the virtual seas, everyone.  :-)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-17-3-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-512gb-solid-state-drive-black/6345056.p?skuId=6345056

Integrated ram is when my alarm goes off.

Yes, good laptop. You will do fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,069
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,132 posts
11,833 battles
7 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Oh no.... no no no.. Never use that program... lol...

Why is it bad ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,745
[WORX]
Members
12,063 posts
19,521 battles
6 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Why is it bad ? 

It could be i misunderstood which program is used for DL the GPU drivers and the one that does other functions...

In the OP's case, I dont recommend either...

  1. Use manual w/clean install option to install  the GPU drivers...
  2. His Memory is 8GB, its to low to run WOWS and the GeForce experience at the same time..
    • SInce I did not see a GeForce Now in the Geforce.com portal.. I assume its these two options...

If its the same program then no I dont recommend having that program, for the above noted reasons..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,723
[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles
5 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Integrated ram is when my alarm goes off.

Yes, good laptop. You will do fine.

Thanks.  :-)

To be fair to my old Lenovo, I didn't have gaming in mind when I purchased it for $300 in Jan/Feb of 2015.  
It has been a good workhorse for everyday needs, and still is.  (They were still selling a variation of it for about $225, yesterday.)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-s145-15ast-15-6-laptop-amd-a6-series-4gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/6361116.p?skuId=6361116

But, yes, this Acer Nitro-5 is a huge leap in performance and doesn't choke when clouds of flak are thrown up at someone's planes or hiccup when a ship is spotted.  I can play randoms with smooth sailing, now.  :-)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,669 posts
42,633 battles
34 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Thanks.  :-)

To be fair to my old Lenovo, I didn't have gaming in mind when I purchased it for $300 in Jan/Feb of 2015.  
It has been a good workhorse for everyday needs, and still is.  (They were still selling a variation of it for about $225, yesterday.)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-s145-15ast-15-6-laptop-amd-a6-series-4gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/6361116.p?skuId=6361116

But, yes, this Acer Nitro-5 is a huge leap in performance and doesn't choke when clouds of flak are thrown up at someone's planes or hiccup when a ship is spotted.  I can play randoms with smooth sailing, now.  :-)
 

You know my first laptop was a pavilion with an AMD dual core with Nvidia graphics, but just like you, it was never my intention to use it for gaming and I got it from best buy in 2006.

And it was a very reliable laptop. I did upgrade the hard drive and ram. The wireless card fried one day and I replaced it myself.

The battery eventually had to be replaced. It ran windows Vista, yes, Vista.

I eventually sold it to a friend but his kid spilled his sippy cup on it in less than 2 hours after he bought it from me.

I still feel bad for the laptop. Selling it to that dude was a death sentence.

I name all my computers under settings and that was my first windows PC laptop.

So I named it Metatron. Since then, there have been a few named after the first. All with a different number at the end of the name.

For some reason, I treat each one well.

#2 was decommissioned and sold to that same dude, a Dell XPS 410, I couldn't get the 420 because it was too high. #3 is still on service in the living room Dell XPS 8100. #4 is a Dell laptop XPS 16 I gave to my sister's oldest son and is quite nice since I installed an SSD drive in it. It also has a blue ray player that predates the licensing crap that came later.

#5 is the beast rig I have now custom build. Details are a state secret, well maybe one person I told. LOL

#6, is my laptop Acer Helios I keep it with me in case I am asked to go out of town, then I have a portable gaming platform. Although, I have yet to go out of town.

Should I meet an untimely fate to the Cylons, then I already have someone in mind to bequeath it to. #6 is special. She can do some stuff. And I can't leave her with family. She needs someone creative. She plays Warships well.

The Nitro line I believe is a variation of the design architecture.  Excellent cooling.

You will love the performance. It has a tune-up feature that allows you to optimize the system.

If you played it enough already, then you already tweaked it by now.

Now for care and maintenance, follow the manual. Read it like your life depended on it. The nvme SSDs can run hot if they get dirty. But I have a hack for you. Invest in an in room filter that is geared towards dust collection and is cleanable by rinsing the elements.

Honeywell makes a nice one. Bear in mind it has to be a washable filter. The disposable kind will get you in replacement costs.

Dust can never be 100% mitigated, but you can get very close. Start with you residence and see if the main filtration of the ventilation has decent paper element filters. You can get 3M rated ones almost anywhere. What you are looking for is the ones rated for allergy and pet hair.

Doing these two things alone will reduce you cleaning of your laptop, but you will have to eventually.

Invest in an electric air blower instead of canned air. It is more environmentally friendly. Blow down the laptop according to manual.

Now some manufacturers won't let you go deep in.

Just remember to remove the battery before you start, attach an esd strap after you open it to ground the laptop, and focus on the processor cooling area, fans, SSD mounts, I takes and exhaust ports.

Proper care of your laptop will bring you many years of service.

Heat is a PCs worst enemy. Always keep it cool and you have optimal performance.

Since you have done hardware work in the past, you probably know about most of this already, but I feel it doesn't hurt to mention even if you know. Because maybe other players will read this and will use this information to protect their PC investment.

Having a Lenovo that long, you obviously took really good care of it.

But now you have gone from a solid performer to a Ferrari. So yeah, you will love it.

Have fun out on the seas

<O

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,723
[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles
5 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

You know my first laptop was a pavilion with an AMD dual core with Nvidia graphics, but just like you, it was never my intention to use it for gaming and I got it from best buy in 2006.

<snipped for brevity>

Having a Lenovo that long, you obviously took really good care of it.

But now you have gone from a solid performer to a Ferrari. So yeah, you will love it.

Have fun out on the seas

<O

Thanks for the good will and the tips.  :-)
My compliments on your collection of laptop journeys.  :-)
See you on the virtual seas.  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,755
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,230 posts
4,766 battles
3 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

His Memory is 8GB, its to low to run WOWS and the GeForce experience at the same time..

Bullcookies.  Don't you understand how GeForce Now works?  You don't run it at all -- it runs on a server and ships you video.  Runs just fine on an E8400 and 8GB.  (I don't use it for other reasons.)

"i5 quad bare minimum" is bullcookies too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,745
[WORX]
Members
12,063 posts
19,521 battles
5 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Bullcookies.  Don't you understand how GeForce Now works?  You don't run it at all -- it runs on a server and ships you video.  Runs just fine on an E8400 and 8GB.  (I don't use it for other reasons.)

"i5 quad bare minimum" is bullcookies too.

Ducky,    Refer to post 16 of the thread :cap_old:

 

Ducky in post 7 of this thread... I stated the i5 is the bare minimum because its only a quad core... For long term solution, a quad core CPU is a short term "Bare minimum" to improve the performance (compared to what he had before)...

I would've recommended a 8 core CPU.... You just more then doubled your CPU performance and it will last long time...

As it stands IMO, 8GB memory is boarder line even for web browsing... I know he will need an upgrade later on this year (which if you're going to buy a system, you don want to spent on upgrades every year or with in months of buying...)

His CPU is a quad, its the bare minimum, its better then not having cores... He may need an upgrade on maybe in a few years or maybe within a year...

The only thing that matters to me... The customer is happy with his product... He knows the short comings of his new product, he has been giving advice to help him coup.

I just hope the OP, dont get "buyers remorse" for seeing a better system for the same price he paid for...

Edited by Navalpride33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,755
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,230 posts
4,766 battles
32 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

As it stands IMO, 8GB memory is boarder line even for web browsing..

This I don't disagree with.  The rest I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,822
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,734 posts

 

According to "Can I run it?" the OP's computer choice should be able to run most games. It might not be able to run them on ultra settings but it should run them with graphics sufficient enough to make them enjoyable. 

image.thumb.png.c45abc00ee56cc3b8731907fe49bb0d6.png

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,723
[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles

Well, as far as I am concerned, @Snargfargle is correct.

My current laptop computer runs World of Warships just fine, by the way.  :-)

Also, it is capable of multi-tasking.  I can have the game running and then open a web-browser and post on these forums, for example, while also having a text-editing program open.
Perhaps that something the rest of you are accustomed to, but for me it is a new experience and a welcome capability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
510
[NEMO]
Members
829 posts
3,018 battles

mines 3 years old, a friend of mine at school builds them, and since dad got internet for the farm I can use it for everything else, that=n god too with the covid I cant go to school so its all virtual

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×