You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TriHard_DodgeDealership

bring back the old islands of ice

5 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
133 posts

One thing I see many people say on reddit, youtube, forums, etc is how great the old islands of ice was. New islands is just meh but myself and many others loved the old islands of ice map. WeeGee please bring it back. The map had a little something for everyone. You could snipe if you wanted to, but you could also YOLO and use the icebergs as cover.

The problem is the new map design facilitates and encourages camping. The game is basically just world of tanks now. Just stopping and reversing. The reason people do this is because there is no advantage to pushing just camping. Old map design allowed pushing because it included lots of cover.

Oldest.jpg.8ddb0c0f2c8de031c642405b314a7536.jpg.54cbd14d1e7d60016e562d9023efe992.jpg

Just look at this beauty of a map....desroyers/CL can do their thing in cover of the icebergs and dont have to worry about getting blapped at 20km. bring it back. we deserve this map

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

Members
1,465 posts
7,123 battles

Many have wanted them to do this for a long time. I myself miss that map a lot. 

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,065 battles

Endorsed.

Bring it back.

edit: Either of the first two version would be great, actually. Or, even better: both of the first two versions.

Edited by LT_Rusty_SWO
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,151 posts
26,789 battles

If nothing else, it made life exciting; ‘Suddenly, a wild destroyer appears at 3k!’

I wish I knew the things I know about stalking now, back when the map was around; probably would have liked it even more.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,812 posts
28,106 battles
9 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Endorsed.

Bring it back.

edit: Either of the first two version would be great, actually. Or, even better: both of the first two versions.

Actually, what I'd like them to do is this.

Bring back the 3rd version of Islands of Ice under a new name.  It wasn't a great map, but it was ok enough.

And bring back the 1st version of IsOfIce but with some tweaks.  Let me explain.  

Supposedly, the biggest reason that the 1st/2nd versions of IsOfIce were removed was because the map played too large.  Ok, I can see that, and I suppose it's a potential issue with any large map that has a diagonal orientation.  However, this is what I'd suggest to make the map play smaller.

1. Remove the first column and first row on the 1st version.

2. Then, adjust the islands in the northwest to remove what remains of the NW passage.  And use whatever area gets created by a couple more of those moderate sized islands in the NW to expand that general NW area closer to the encounter cap.  That overall NW area nearish the cap is a pretty good brawling area, so expanding a little by moving the two largest islands more to the NW would seem like a good way to use the remaining space left by removing the NW Passage.

3. Leave the rest of the map as is.  The SE ice floes area is great as is.

4. Re-grid the map for the usual 10 rows and columns.

5. Add a strong Aurora Borealis effect like existed when the Northern Lights map was first released.

6. Have all of the normal battle modes as versions of this map, i.e. Standard, Domination, Epicenter.  And I wish that they'd re-include Encounter mode.  Also include the Storm and Blizzard (snowy cyclone) versions as well.

7. Give it a not-so-new name.  Northern Lights.   Am I calling for the removal of the current version of Northern Lights with this suggestion?  Absolutely, 100% yes.  The existing version of Northern Lights is just too similar to the North map, and in my opinion, should be removed for being too god damned boring.

And voila, we have a "new" map that has all the best features of the original IsOfIce with some new ideas to further enhance this great old map.