You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GrayPanther2018

Best tier to begin playing random?

15 comments in this topic

[PHD]
Members
1,736 posts
7,123 battles

If I wanted to try playing a random match what would be the optimal tier, 3? 4?

I play mostly IJN DD and CL/CA or French DD.

Tachibana T2?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,450 posts
14,816 battles

I think tier 2 would be best with the current overage of CV's in tier 4 as the tier 3's and most tier 4's have next to no AA and the tier 2's don't see CV's but you will eventually have to learn how to operate in an air heavy environment.

• Cool 1

Members
3,877 posts
13,993 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

I think tier 2 would be best with the current overage of CV's in tier 4 as the tier 3's and most tier 4's have next to no AA and the tier 2's don't see CV's but you will eventually have to learn how to operate in an air heavy environment.

Tier 2, for a easier/relaxed learning experience. Tier 4 if you just want to see 2 CV per team games consistently. Tier 6 if you really want to dive in, learn how to deal with CVs and radar.

Tier 2 might be the best option for your first foray. 

• Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,450 posts
14,816 battles
3 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Tier 2, for a easier/relaxed learning experience. Tier 4 if you just want to see 2 CV per team games consistently. Tier 6 if you really want to dive in, learn how to deal with CVs and radar.

Tier 2 might be the best option for your first foray. 

Tier 2 has some seal clubbers but I do feel is the best starting point. Tier 5 with a ship with decent AA can be good too.

Members
3,877 posts
13,993 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

Tier 2 has some seal clubbers but I do feel is the best starting point. Tier 5 with a ship with decent AA can be good too.

I agree. 

[PSP]
Members
563 posts
5,040 battles

Advice coming from a slightly post-newbie, maybe intermediate player - no matter where you start, I would recommend stopping at Tier 5 until you comfortably start placing in the top 5 of your team on a pretty regular basis.

This is the advice I gave myself, and I think it's pretty solid. 3-4 months later, I have started to test the Tier 6 and 7 waters and my results so far have been pretty promising.

Thinking back, I probably spent a month at least at Tier 4, playing DDs mostly to start - then cruisers a little bit, then BBs. 

[FML]
Members
4,118 posts
16,057 battles
4 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

If I wanted to try playing a random match what would be the optimal tier, 3? 4?

Tachibana T2?

With some 4000 battles under your belt already, you could really start at any tier tbh. 

But I'd suggest T6-T7, cos the ships are fun and you'll do OK. 

[PHD]
Members
1,736 posts
7,123 battles
12 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

With some 4000 battles under your belt already, you could really start at any tier tbh. 

But I'd suggest T6-T7, cos the ships are fun and you'll do OK. 

Thanks for the help! :Smile_great: Just don't want to cause problems for the more serious players. 

[SIDE]
Members
832 posts
5,151 battles

I would say T-5.  It introduces many concepts but all of them are pretty forgiving. an introduction to meh CVs and a very few ships that have radar. As well as the reality of getting MMed +2 tier and learning to be more careful.

[GOBI]
Members
1,087 posts
4,567 battles

I would ease into random, like t2, play 10 battles, see how you do. It is very different than co op, players are smarter than bots ( most of the time) and you need to play less aggressive. If you find it to easy after 10 battles move up a tier, rinse and repeat. At some point you will hit a wall, when you do drop down a tier and play it a lot.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

None... Or all. Doenst make any difference. Any tier is the exact same s**t show. Most players have no clue of what they are doing. 

[PHD]
Members
1,736 posts
7,123 battles
23 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Thanks for the help. :Smile_honoring:

I have a Tachibana and a Mutzuki ( it has the two 120mm DP guns and full suite of 25mms) that might work should I be feeling adventurous next week.

I will just have to resist the PvE urge to push ahead.

Edited by GrayPanther2018
Additional information

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,450 posts
14,816 battles
1 minute ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Thanks for the help. :Smile_honoring:

I have a Tachibana and a Mutzuki that might work should I be feeling adventurous next week.

I will just have to resist the PvE urge to push ahead.

Just remember that when you are in a match with CV's which you won't see until tier 3 to turn your AA/secondaries off until a plane is in range and off again when it leaves but remember that as a DD your best defense against planes is to make aiming hard for them, maneuver!

[B-Z]
Members
199 posts
23,180 battles

5!

Work out what sort of gameplay you like best. Eg DD, BB, CL, CV

Then get some advice on the best T5 ship of that type.

Then use that ship to complete the daily missions. This will give you all the port slots, rewards, etc.

Then slowly grind through all the other lines from the ground up. You will have port slots coming in so you can grind quite a few lines at a time.

IMO this way you will gain the most experience and understanding of the game.

[WORX]
Members
11,915 posts
19,462 battles
23 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

IJN torp DD up to tier 6...

IJN Gun DD... Only high tiers

IJN cruisers are a unique play style then the other nations...

French DDs are OP at any tier...

GL