Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
K1ra_Yoshikage

Some observation to my current crash problem with WOWs

4 comments in this topic

[FIRE2]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,715 battles

First of all, my crashes came from a hardware problem. The SSD with the virtual memory file started producing read/write errors. After 8 years, it was time to retire that drive.

WoWs never crashed afterwards.

Still, I was curious because

a) 16 GB should be enough RAM without the need to use virtual memory and 

b) that I cannot use another games while I run WoWs. It worked before (BDO has lot's of AFK lifeskill "content", I could run both clients before WoWs went 64 bit)

So I run the resource monitor for RAM while I played WoWs and BDO.

I blamed BDO first for all those crashes, but it seems, It's a problem with WoWs. 

Windows 10 uses a new kind of virtual RAM management. It creates a virtual drive in the RAM, till the PC runs out of it. This should reduce the read/writes that are needed usually for virtual memory. But when something spikes, it forces the content of this memory to the drive.

While BDO kept in his limit of about 4-4.5 GB the games reserves from the memory, WoWs had spikes from about 5 GB up to 7.5 GB RAM. While runing WoWs, there was also always 2-3 GB virtual memory used.

It shouldn't be a problem with a 16 GB machine. But you may have lags, if you run WoWs with less and my use only one drive. Windows start dumbing the RAM drive into your virtual memory on your harddrive more often or didn't use any RAM drive.

Since RAM is cheap, I went to 24 GB for testing (the PC will be replaced within the next 12 months anyway, so no need for 32 GB)

First, the virtual RAM manager is more or less at zero, compared to the amount it uses under 16 GB.

Second, I can now play WoWs and BDO at the same time, there are only very rare lags when BDO load new stuff (like traveling with a ship on auto pilot).

[NH]
Members
0 posts

Ive never had crashes in WoWs for the 5 years ive played until my system was unstable. Usually when I OC either my GPU or RAM too much it will seem fine for hours or days at a time. Then out of nowhere game crash. Rest of the system seems stable. 

OP try going to https://www.memtest86.com/ and burn the USB bootable version of the test. Run it overnight. If you have even a single error that is your problem. 

[FIRE2]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,715 battles
4 minutes ago, The_Fire_Department said:

Ive never had crashes in WoWs for the 5 years ive played until my system was unstable. Usually when I OC either my GPU or RAM too much it will seem fine for hours or days at a time. Then out of nowhere game crash. Rest of the system seems stable. 

OP try going to https://www.memtest86.com/ and burn the USB bootable version of the test. Run it overnight. If you have even a single error that is your problem. 

No, RAM isn't the problem. I tested that already. I replaced the RAM last year and still had problems, but only while playing WoWs. 

[NH]
Members
0 posts
53 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

No, RAM isn't the problem. I tested that already. I replaced the RAM last year and still had problems, but only while playing WoWs. 

What did you test with? 

Sign in to follow this