You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

Is Enterprise a decent carrier?

18 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
1,653 posts
2,811 battles

I bought her last year some time for historical reasons, although I am not a carrier player. I’ve sailed her in a grand total of two co-op matches, which I’m sure is not indicative of how she would play in the wild. Is she a viable flattop in the rework era? What skills should I have for my captain to squeeze the most juice from Big E? 

I am prepared for the vitriol and down votes, but I did pay actual dollars to have her in port, so I should probably get my money’s worth. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
439 posts
8,277 battles

Well, i don't play carriers myself, but Enterprise was good enough that it's no longer being sold, at all, so you best at least keep it.

Those rocket planes are bloody insane with their horizontal spread, have fun dev striking DDs and chunking cruisers and BBs with em.

Don't really know much about the dive bombs and torps myself though.

[-IRS-]
[-IRS-]
Beta Testers
167 posts
4,974 battles

I play the Enterprise all the time, it's a great ship. A lot of folk think it is actually overpowered and is why it hasn't made a reappearance for sale. 

Members
707 posts
11,912 battles
15 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I bought her last year some time for historical reasons, although I am not a carrier player. I’ve sailed her in a grand total of two co-op matches, which I’m sure is not indicative of how she would play in the wild. Is she a viable flattop in the rework era? What skills should I have for my captain to squeeze the most juice from Big E? 

I am prepared for the vitriol and down votes, but I did pay actual dollars to have her in port, so I should probably get my money’s worth. 

I have it too but don't play it much. Seems okay with torps and rockets, Dive bombers seem to get slaughtered until late in a match. The DB issue is probably more of an end user issue because it happens regardless of carrier used. Anyways, here is what I use:

Screenshot (52).png

• Cool 1

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
826 posts
7,424 battles

Arguably the best USN CV in the game, and the only USN CV that gets AP bombs.

Still stinks that they pulled her from the shop with such little notice.

[WOLFC]
Members
520 posts
7,775 battles

While the aircraft may seem identical to Lexington's at first glance, they're not. For one thing, the regen time is considerably lower across the board, so with a properly spec'd captain you can recover from mistakes much easier. And as others have said, her dive bombers carry AP instead of HE bombs, so once you get the hang of it the bombers are citadel printers. Still you're going to need at least a 10pt captain and not a little bit of skill to really make the most of her. I'm not a great player, but I've managed some really good coop games of all things, and if the match drags on, this ship gets more dangerous.

Definitely don't sell her, and I highly suggest as other have grinding up to at least Lexington before you even consider it. At the very least, keep Enterprise for the CV flood/citadel directives, as even if you're grinding the line, dropping into a coop match and dunking on bot BB's is worth it. Beats having to rely on floods, which are almost as hard to get as not catching on fire from HE is.

[-N-]
Alpha Tester
823 posts

The big E has some great bomb load outs including one of the rare exceptions to the USN CV line as it has AP bombs.  I would say practice up with a tech tree CV to get your feet under you, then go raise havoc with her!  She has some of the best squadrons in the game for a CV as well if they are used right!  Definitely listen to Nolo as well he's giving some damn solid advice.  There are alot of CV folks on the forums, just ignore the haters because there is nothing you can say that I've found that will get most of them to compromise to any real degree.  There are some good ones though not everyone is locked into hate mode.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,310 posts
6,380 battles
4 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Enterprise and Kaga are a bit the same concept, TVIII CVs with enhanced TVI planes.
Means your planes will be shot down but you have so many that you don't care.
If you are uptiered, well... better do spotting the first 10 minutes otherwise AA will melt your squadrons.
Many doesn't mean infinite.
They don't sell her anymore for some reason I forgot.
It's a great carrier.
But I love all carriers except Ark Royal.

• Cool 1

Members
1,268 posts
9,893 battles
4 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Don’t let the vitriol keep you from enjoying what you paid for. There’s always coop to enjoy if you’re still a bit worried about randoms. I love both Enterprise and Lexington. Enterprise has fantastic rocket planes and torpedo bombers, while Lexington has fantastic torpedo bombers and dive bombers. Enterprise’s bombs are effective, but are trickier to use and require a goat sacrifice to farm citadels, so I usually prefer Lexington’s more flexible HE dive bombers. As for Lexington’s rocket planes, they can equip Tiny Tim’s which are fantastic for finishing off low HP ships, be it DDs or otherwise.

Overall, Enterprise is definitely a fun ship, and worthy of your time.

• Cool 1

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

She is one of the few carriers that don't suffer from one of their squadrons being a woefully underpowered filler squadron. She has solid rockets and torpedos, and the best AP bombers in the game. Also her fighters are ridiculous.

[PUDEL]
Members
374 posts
1,962 battles

She has theme music. And, overloaded photons... :)

• Funny 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,289 posts
11,864 battles
6 hours ago, Saidalphon said:

Well, i don't play carriers myself, but Enterprise was good enough that it's no longer being sold, at all, so you best at least keep it.

Those rocket planes are bloody insane with their horizontal spread, have fun dev striking DDs and chunking cruisers and BBs with em.

Don't really know much about the dive bombs and torps myself though.

She can Dev Strike some BBs and large cruisers with  citadel hits from her AP bombs. They are small bombs compared to GZ and the IJN and have lower penetration, but her squadrons drop 6 per pass. I've Dev Struck Tirpitz and Yoshino with her AP bombs so I know it works. 

[NUWES]
Members
3,289 posts
11,864 battles
54 minutes ago, Tekina_ said:

She is one of the few carriers that don't suffer from one of their squadrons being a woefully underpowered filler squadron. She has solid rockets and torpedos, and the best AP bombers in the game. Also her fighters are ridiculous.

Her fighter consumable is obscene. Enterprise's fighters can even bully the T10s away, and is the only fighter consumable that can stop a Kaga attack wave cold. 

[FG]
Members
566 posts
4,805 battles

As others have said, have a go at grinding down the US CV line first to get the hang of CV gameplay. And definitely check out some youtube/forum guides on CV play. There is a lot you won't find out just by playing. 

Jumping into randoms with a T8 CV having next to no CV experience is going to be an exercise in frustration for you, and will probably piss your team off if the enemy CV is even slightly competent.

She was removed a while back for overperforming, which is likely related to how potent her AP DB squadrons are. 

[KIA-C]
Members
3,578 posts
15,788 battles

Enterprise is just a CV will no real weakness unlike other CV.

Her kit allow her to deal with everything without struggling too much.

Oh and I forgot, she's the CV with the highest potential Alpha strike in game, able to reach around 30K/drop

Edited by AlcatrazNC