Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
B0BAFETTwg

Destroyers are obsolete in ranked

27 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
16 posts
4,310 battles

When 90% of my ranked matches have 3 plus radar ships and my team has 1 that is a problem. When MM decides 4 radar ships and a CV on the enemy team and I have again 1 radar ship that’s a problem. Does WG just want people to stop playing Destroyers since they keep making it easier to dodge torpedos and spot destroyers it sure feels like it. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

Members
485 posts
15,274 battles
6 minutes ago, B0BAFETTwg said:

When 90% of my ranked matches have 3 plus radar ships and my team has 1 that is a problem. When MM decides 4 radar ships and a CV on the enemy team and I have again 1 radar ship that’s a problem. Does WG just want people to stop playing Destroyers since they keep making it easier to dodge torpedos and spot destroyers it sure feels like it. 

They want you to git gud cause if you're bad you will just die anyway

Members
3,111 posts
12,459 battles
11 minutes ago, B0BAFETTwg said:

I find it funny you think that, because I used current season to finish legendary modules on both Khabarovsk and Grozovoi, and ended up with 70% WR with them.  Had absolute blast playing on DDs.  Tried playing other classes and it was not fun at all.

[PISD]
Members
1,686 posts
5,844 battles

The problem is more one of reward. DD is a challenging class to play, but not that much than cruisers in many regard. The problem is that in rank you live and die by your damage. You may have spot the enemy team for all the game and capture 10 drop, the Conqueror in the back that just sling HE will out farm you and save a star. And if DD have the capacity to do massive damage, it is one of the class that is the less stable in that regard.

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Members
16 posts
4,310 battles
6 minutes ago, Hatsuzuki_DD said:

The problem is even with all of that I’m majority of times the last one alive...

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Nah, DDs are extremely strong in ranked. Even with all that radar/Hydro a well played DD can do a lot to set the team to win. I would say the only time DDs become weak is vs a good CV player, a good CV player can be a pain to face. But overall DDs are really good, its just that the skill floor of DDs is very high. 

Members
890 posts
14,146 battles
6 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I find it funny you think that, because I used current season to finish legendary modules on both Khabarovsk and Grozovoi, and ended up with 70% WR with them.  Had absolute blast playing on DDs.  Tried playing other classes and it was not fun at all.

I find it funny that your DDs are really light cruisers without citadels. Not really DDs at all.

[BOMBL]
Members
1,203 posts
15,237 battles
9 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

The problem is more one of reward. DD is a challenging class to play, but not that much than cruisers in many regard. The problem is that in rank you live and die by your damage. You may have spot the enemy team for all the game and capture 10 drop, the Conqueror in the back that just sling HE will out farm you and save a star. And if DD have the capacity to do massive damage, it is one of the class that is the less stable in that regard.

I played Groz 2 seasons ago only. Got to rank 5 in 2 wks where my skill level falls off a cliff. I love dds. Love to stalk and spot. That season I could cap, get some opportunistic dmg or land a few torps and I could save a star on a truly awful team. DD play is premium this season. Great dd play will spot the reds and give your side a huge edge. The downside to dds is if your team stinks you won’t save a star this season hence the general lack of dds

Members
3,111 posts
12,459 battles
7 minutes ago, Prothall said:

I find it funny that your DDs are really light cruisers without citadels. Not really DDs at all.

This could be occasionally true in randoms, and only when it pertains to Khaba on map where objectives have to be contested.  But in this particular format, arms race, both Khaba and Groz perform their DD roles very well.

[WOLF1]
Members
16 posts
4,310 battles
16 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Ok I have no control over the rest of my team there bud. Most of my team dies within the first 2 mins of the match. I think it’s funny that you think everyone has great MM in this game.

[CAG-1]
Members
216 posts
12,781 battles

Did fine in the Somers in ranked yesterday....won 4 of 6....couple of 125k plus games.

Do agree that a CV and three radars is tough......just shrug it off to bad matchmaking and move on.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
16 posts
4,310 battles
12 minutes ago, BenAubrey said:

Did fine in the Somers in ranked yesterday....won 4 of 6....couple of 125k plus games.

Do agree that a CV and three radars is tough......just shrug it off to bad matchmaking and move on.

It’s almost every match...

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
548 posts
12,645 battles
12 minutes ago, B0BAFETTwg said:

Ok I have no control over the rest of my team there bud. Most of my team dies within the first 2 mins of the match. I think it’s funny that you think everyone has great MM in this game.

I can't follow you.  First you say it is too hard to be DD because of radar and CVs but then say you are usually the last one alive so obviously those aren't affecting you much.  Then you go and say your team dies fast.  I assume that your whole team is not all DDs so again the radar and CVs aren't the reason you are dying.  This whole post really has no reason to exist.

[PVE]
Members
4,828 posts
21,205 battles
22 minutes ago, Hatsuzuki_DD said:

Oh enough.......  The only way to evade radar is to be "outside of its maximum range..."  That means, you aren't close enough to spot......!  Let alone cap.   Then, when you add planes, even outside of the max effective range of radar you are spotted and at tier 10, at least, the better AA DD's can shoot back..................but, for what???  There simply isn't enough "value" doing so AND, once spotted, with the Smolensk at 19.2 KM, you are targeted and you are "forced" to move somewhere else and start over.....  No, there is no "get GuD" in the game that has 100% effective radar and 100% effective planes........   Nor, I might add, could you live against a tier 10 Carrier if it's you and the carrier alone !  Even in my Haragumo..........eventually, there is no smoke left and you don't have a heal.........you die by attrition because planes regenerate (even if slowly) and you simply don't.  So, ask yourself, "to what end or value" are we even attempting this???  There is no fun losing all of the time.

37 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

This is spot on and the root cause.......  And, the reason we aren't playing DD or even at all.......

• Funny 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

In the Ranked battles I played, the DDs made a huge difference -- the winning team was predicable based on which side's DDs successfully seized the boosts.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,120 posts
11,820 battles
56 minutes ago, B0BAFETTwg said:

The problem is even with all of that I’m majority of times the last one alive...

If there's always a CV in your games it must be pretty hard to be the last one to die .

[BOTO]
Members
1,419 posts
17,041 battles
1 hour ago, B0BAFETTwg said:

Depends on the DD.  Kleber is defnitely NOT obsolete in ranked.

[DOG]
Members
1,221 posts
12,686 battles
1 hour ago, Y_Nagato said:

:Smile_great:I checked my ranked stats for the season this morning, just out of curiosity.  I've played something like 24 games.  1 in Shima (win), 1 in Puerto Rico (win), one in Yoshino (loss, but I did 196k damage, and still didn't save a star), and the rest in Somers, over half of which have been losses.  Apart from a couple of games where I potatoed and let myself get radared early, I've been getting 8-10 torpedo hits per game, and averaging 80k-90k damage (with some games over 150k), and still losing stars.  The map edge huggers keep refusing to get in the cap, even past the point where everything else is irrelevant.  Had one last night where my team lost with 4 ships left (3 BBs and a CA), all at full health, and all 3-4 grid squares away from the cap in the center.  And, of course, one of those was the one who saved his star, because he'd been farming fire damage by slinging HE from 20+ km the whole game.

[WOLF1]
Members
16 posts
4,310 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Andy said:

I can't follow you.  First you say it is too hard to be DD because of radar and CVs but then say you are usually the last one alive so obviously those aren't affecting you much.  Then you go and say your team dies fast.  I assume that your whole team is not all DDs so again the radar and CVs aren't the reason you are dying.  This whole post really has no reason to exist.

Ok I’ll break it down for you since it’s hard to understand. When you have to dodge 4 radars and a CV you are denied a lot of area to torp or gun boat. When your team is dead and 4 radars are rushing you with a CV it’s extremely hard to do anything. 

[WOLF1]
Members
16 posts
4,310 battles
45 minutes ago, clammboy said:

If there's always a CV in your games it must be pretty hard to be the last one to die .

Not with the daring. Again the thing you people aren’t understanding is how OP the area denial that radar and planes have. 

• Cool 1

[LZ1]
Members
311 posts
6,393 battles

OP isn't wrong. I'm trying to rank out using Daring exclusively. It's more than a little challenging. Beyond just being difficult, it isn't fun. Radar and planes take zero skill to use and the spotting ranges are so close to the radar ranges that once a cruiser is spotted they just pop radar and you're done. Total garbage gameplay.

[SBB]
Members
2 posts
14,277 battles

i played dd s in ranked they are able to be sunk like any other ship . when playing dds against carriers i say buddy up for flack coverage it is a team battle in ranked . Radar well you should have an idea on what radar range is and if you gamble to get in the range it may pay off or you may get your [edited]blowed away. The guys who do this game strugle for play balance we dont need little super dds so you can just sail around and kill everything

[HINON]
Members
2,304 posts
22,545 battles

Daring is one of my favorites in ranked...  All those brief charges of smoke are enough to frustrate a chasing CV.  Defensive hydro.

[RKLES]
Members
12,592 posts
14,320 battles
3 hours ago, B0BAFETTwg said:

Ok first off which DD or DDs are you using? Because last Ranked X season Shimakaze, Gearing, and Daring were the popular choices and the effective ones. And Haragumo was good as well. But everyone kind a gave a Yueyang player disapproving looks and comments due to the fact those were outgunned and could not torp DDs which was required in many of the DD vs DD skirmishes. And even Kléber suffered as well in the long run.

So if you are trying to use Yueyang and Kléber in Ranked I could agree that it is mostly obsolete in that battle mode. But the rest of the DDs are fine.

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
826 posts
7,424 battles

I did pretty decent in my Gearing, made it to rank 10. Had 2 or three battles with a CV. One tried to take me out with rockets at which point I dropped smoke. He then tried to torp my smoke, then turned his attention elsewhere when he got no hits. Haven't had a CV sink me yet this season, mini map and awareness helps against them.

Sign in to follow this