You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: The Case of the Too-Successful Potato

11 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,189 battles

When I set myself the task of finishing the Halsey campaign "probably some time this year", I had no idea how wrong I would turn out to be. I literally thought it would take all year because of the magnitude of the cash and XP grinds. But now I am exactly 50,000 ship XP from the end, and the reason for this is that I discovered one of the repeatable tasks in Mission 5 to be accomplishable easily in a single battle in co-op (get 75 rocket, bomb or torpedo hits).

I suspect it was not always this way, and in fact the Wiki says only bombs or torpedoes, but this is naturally a holdover from the RTS era where it wasn't possible to get twenty "hits" of something in a single attack run; in this case, Lexington's HVARs. (By contrast, the mission to shoot down 150 planes using T8+ carriers is substantially more difficult now because you don't have direct control over interceptor fighters any more.)

However, this leaves me in the quandary that I will soon be done with the Halsey permanent campaign... and having already completed all the others, I have no direct incentive to play at the higher tiers.  Shame about all that grinding I did to get ships to Tier 8 as tools to use for this!:Smile_trollface:

Now I'm sure this is only going to be temporary, and I'm definitely going to finish the grind to the Moskva (to get her in premium form). But it will be good to have those campaigns out of the way and not exerting an unconscious compulsion. Perhaps after a break I'll be far more ready for higher tiers because I'll actually be able to enjoy it for its own sake!

Aside from getting the Moskva, though, I think I need a break. T8 to T10 can be fun, but I need a different set of enemies for a while. 

• Boring 1

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Aside from getting the Moskva, though, I think I need a break. T8 to T10 can be fun, but I need a different set of enemies for a while. 

Lower tiers are the way to go. Tier 2-3 is fun if you like intense action in a flimsy boat. My preferred tiers are 5-6. Tier V has a lot of notable ships. Tier VI has Scenarios.

[PVE]
Members
4,780 posts
21,093 battles

When I set myself the task of finishing the Halsey campaign "probably some time this year", I had no idea how wrong I would turn out to be. I literally thought it would take all year because of the magnitude of the cash and XP grinds. But now I am exactly 50,000 ship XP from the end, and the reason for this is that I discovered one of the repeatable tasks in Mission 5 to be accomplishable easily in a single battle in co-op (get 75 rocket, bomb or torpedo hits).

I suspect it was not always this way, and in fact the Wiki says only bombs or torpedoes, but this is naturally a holdover from the RTS era where it wasn't possible to get twenty "hits" of something in a single attack run; in this case, Lexington's HVARs. (By contrast, the mission to shoot down 150 planes using T8+ carriers is substantially more difficult now because you don't have direct control over interceptor fighters any more.)

However, this leaves me in the quandary that I will soon be done with the Halsey permanent campaign... and having already completed all the others, I have no direct incentive to play at the higher tiers.  Shame about all that grinding I did to get ships to Tier 8 as tools to use for this!:Smile_trollface:

Now I'm sure this is only going to be temporary, and I'm definitely going to finish the grind to the Moskva (to get her in premium form). But it will be good to have those campaigns out of the way and not exerting an unconscious compulsion. Perhaps after a break I'll be far more ready for higher tiers because I'll actually be able to enjoy it for its own sake!

I finished the campaigns well over a year ago and ground the entire IJN line (less carriers) in 4,850 Random matches and in COOP........  There comes a point where there is nothing left to "do" anymore....

Why grind at all?  I'll simply buy the Moskva with free XP because I'm just done with grinding....  There is no reason to do so....................because, there is no where to use those ships and have "fun anymore".....

It's what happens to new players and I found myself asking:  "OK?  That was fun....  What next>?" and, there isn't anything left after that??  What>?  Ranked is such a mess and no fun.....  Don't need anything else and new ships to be used where>>>???  The game levels out and there isn't anything new...........other than endless gimmicks and ships.... 

My point is that the game gets stagnant at some point.............and that, is a massive problem where this game is headed....

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,189 battles
21 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

I'll simply buy the Moskva with free XP

I considered that, but... what if they change their minds? What if the event immediately after Swedish Destroyers isn't the RU cruiser split, and I have yet another month to grind this out at a ridiculously low level of XP per day (I'm actually enjoying the Donskoi, at least in small doses)? Worst, what if what we get is not what we were expecting (e.g. Salem-like affordability of service costs)?

I may be tired of high-tier play for a while, but I do still have a lot of things to accomplish before I even consider giving this game a miss.

[PVE]
Members
4,780 posts
21,093 battles
54 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I considered that, but... what if they change their minds? What if the event immediately after Swedish Destroyers isn't the RU cruiser split, and I have yet another month to grind this out at a ridiculously low level of XP per day (I'm actually enjoying the Donskoi, at least in small doses)? Worst, what if what we get is not what we were expecting (e.g. Salem-like affordability of service costs)?

I may be tired of high-tier play for a while, but I do still have a lot of things to accomplish before I even consider giving this game a miss.

There is always the "odds" of something our host does defeating what we believe "could happen"........  It doesn't matter about the cost to do that because I am retiring and only playing P/T after this event.  Anyway, I still have way over a million FXP, well over 600 million credits and almost back to 300K coal.  What else do I need?  I have what 88 ships now and would sell all but the Premiums and Upper tiers, if gift boxes wouldn't simply give them back to me at some point.  I always hope our host would build a "Breakers yard" for the ships we'll never use......unless, an event calls for that ship you of course sold.........!

"Things to accomplish" sounds like a "list of chores" my friend......  And, I hate chores at their effectiveness of becoming remedial tasks that you have to do because.......  That's where this game is as a Mature, Brown Ocean, young adult shooter....  And, the graduate students are getting bored of WoWs stories and vignettes of the interrelationship between game development (quality and profit) and the customer's expectations (what PTS's do and what the game delivers in terms of quality and consistency of messaging across many games...)  You see, dozens of Forums are being studied at the Undergraduate and Graduate levels so as to learn what "technologies" least affect "culture" and how that relationship drives profit for future games that will be knowledge based, intuitive and AI driven.  If not, we'll end up in a cause and effect failure because we: "failed to study history" and ignored what technology does to culture (a lot of Toffler in that thought...)

Good luck not missing because I hate when I miss............and, go the great lengths not to....!  Alas, this game is like a thousand yard target in late August..........all mirage and wind, with no humidity and so much dirt in the air.  Any shot is well thought out but, more a given grace than skill no matter the tech you use.........   That's where this game is now and why many of us are retiring.......we didn't come here to work and struggle endlessly (although, some struggling is actually good !).........we came here to have some mature fun with "stuff" our Father's and their friends talked about, showed pictures of and recounted hundreds of stories no one would believe (except another veteran!)........  I'll still be around a bit and will read this and a dozen other forums !!!  (some of which are about dead now - MWO is a good example of their CEO vacillating about if are they shutting down...)

Watcher yer top knot Pilgrim..........and, for the Schwartz's sake: aim small, miss small.......

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles
23 hours ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

Lower tiers are the way to go. Tier 2-3 is fun if you like intense action in a flimsy boat. My preferred tiers are 5-6. Tier V has a lot of notable ships. Tier VI has Scenarios.

I'm usually grinding something even though I try not to get caught up in a grind. For this reason I prefer not to play lower than T5 but a friend has several lower tiered ships so I join him in tiers 2-4 battles.

I find scenarios the best mode for training. I wish WG would stop what they are doing & get the missing scenarios back and even add a couple more, one T9 at least but...................

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,189 battles
3 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

There is always the "odds" of something our host does defeating what we believe "could happen"

Puerto Rico already did that in spades (albeit not in the best way).

3 hours ago, kgh52 said:

I prefer not to play lower than T5

As an experienced player (although by no means a very good one), I try to stay out of low tier Randoms so as not to beat up on complete newbies. I can have enough fun with my low-tier ships in Co-op. The exception is if I'm grinding a completely new line, or WG puts on the occasional T4-inclusive event and insists on it. There are times I want to be bringing in credits (even in small, T4-sized chunks) while simultaneously delaying the day when I must buy the next ship, so I don't always choose ships I am grinding. The last three or four months, in which I have advanced multiple grinds to T8 and beyond, have been uncharacteristic in this respect.

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

As an experienced player (although by no means a very good one), I try to stay out of low tier Randoms so as not to beat up on complete newbies. I can have enough fun with my low-tier ships in Co-op. The exception is if I'm grinding a completely new line, or WG puts on the occasional T4-inclusive event and insists on it. There are times I want to be bringing in credits (even in small, T4-sized chunks) while simultaneously delaying the day when I must buy the next ship, so I don't always choose ships I am grinding. The last three or four months, in which I have advanced multiple grinds to T8 and beyond, have been uncharacteristic in this respect.

I'm not out to seal clubs as some are if I'm playing low level randoms. I need a mountain, more accurately a whole mountain range of commander elite XP. I got a letter from the labor department telling me to quit working my three 19pt commanders so much overtime.

I more than doubled my fleet size over the last year, less than 50 to 112. I close to adding 3 more tech tree ships in the mid to higher tiers. 10pt or higher commanders are running thin in my reserve. 

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,189 battles
On 3/1/2020 at 5:16 PM, kgh52 said:

I got a letter from the labor department telling me to quit working my three 19pt commanders so much overtime.

Write back and tell them there's nothing you can do about that until you have enough ECXP to create a fourth.

With any luck, we will have a (possibly somewhat delayed) Space Battles season after Euro DD's are done, and you can farm the hired help for a bit.

On 3/1/2020 at 10:52 AM, Asym_KS said:

"Things to accomplish" sounds like a "list of chores" my friend......  And, I hate chores at their effectiveness of becoming remedial tasks that you have to do because..

It's more of a WOWS bucket list. For example, I know that I absolutely suck at French DD in co-op, and currently the Vauquelin and its suck lie between me and ownership of what I am given to understand is its much more pleasant to drive successor. I wish to get a handle on that suck, to master it and overcome it, and to find a way to make the ship work for me before I am done with it. I expect the effort to improve my skills as a DD player, and to constitute in part a preparation for driving the Euro DD's. If I find myself getting sick of it, I'll simply switch to something more enjoyable.

[PVE]
Members
4,780 posts
21,093 battles

Write back and tell them there's nothing you can do about that until you have enough ECXP to create a fourth.

With any luck, we will have a (possibly somewhat delayed) Space Battles season after Euro DD's are done, and you can farm the hired help for a bit.

It's more of a WOWS bucket list. For example, I know that I absolutely suck at French DD in co-op, and currently the Vauquelin and its suck lie between me and ownership of what I am given to understand is its much more pleasant to drive successor. I wish to get a handle on that suck, to master it and overcome it, and to find a way to make the ship work for me before I am done with it. I expect the effort to improve my skills as a DD player, and to constitute in part a preparation for driving the Euro DD's. If I find myself getting sick of it, I'll simply switch to something more enjoyable.

Oh GoD..........  Ok, some quick assistance:  STOP for the love of the Schwartz, before you blow a circuit and start talking in tongues....  A master of a ship with no rigging is the master of a pile of wood in an endless sea.......  You can't fix stupid because there isn't enough GuD in the world ! 

I have found how to play the T5 and T6:  sail real quick to the cap.  Make contact with the first ship; fire you torpedoes and run like all get out and use the speed boost and then, PRAY......... Repeat as necessary till the Schwartz allows you a hit.  By that time, you may be the only one left but, it might be easier that way.  That's it.  That's the entire evolution of this training..........there is nothing more, hooah !!!    

BTW:  you'd have a better chance learning how to shoot a Flintlock and beat me in a Flintlock match than "figuring this out"......        Asym out.

Edited by Asym_KS

[WOLFG]
Members
31,234 posts
9,589 battles
On 3/1/2020 at 3:46 PM, kgh52 said:

10pt or higher commanders are running thin in my reserve. 

Same, except for the 3 oldest nations, where I have all the ships I want. (well, I might need a couple more IJN, but I still have a surplus of ARP captains I can use)

The free respec was nice, it allowed me to take skilled captains from ships I don't play, and move them to different ships.

Only real quandary I have is my Iowa captain. He has AFT and MFCS, because I was running him on Georgia. I really should at least swap the MFCS for FP, if I want to grind for Montana, but those secondaries are a lot of fun lol.