Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GiN_nTonic

Mac Version

8 comments in this topic

[OWSS]
Beta Testers
802 posts
6,703 battles

I am without my normal PC for a week or so, and I went to install WoWS on my MacBook (new 16" version top line GPU) and the installer says "World of Warships" needs to be updated - wee below for image of error message.  Does anyone know what this is about?  I have the most recent Mac OS...does this mean WoWS doesn't work with the most recent Mac OS?

That seems odd and I hope i'm missing something.  Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 11.09.01 PM.png

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,576 posts
4,223 battles

WOWS has never worked well with Mac. It's not designed to work with Mac, so needs a wrapper that may or may not work depending on the week. There's a thread here on WOWS for Mac that gets updated pretty regularly, might want to check it out. But you may find that it's just not worth the trouble to get it going for a week.

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles

After a lot of turmoil (not to mention dozens of posts in the Mac forum here as well as numerous complaints/suggestions/feedback from players to the CodeWarriors team who builts the wrapper), the WoWs version for Mac actually works pretty well now.  The version I use is pretty stable and gets good performance.  I personally can actually play the game now and don't feel like I'm constantly doing triage on the client just to make it work.  I would suggest a clean install on your Macbook, as the wrapper itself has changed a lot.  Also, expect to run WGC.  The Mac version hasn't used the standalone client for a year now.

Go HERE if you want the feedback forum.

[OWSS]
Beta Testers
802 posts
6,703 battles
17 hours ago, JAKeller said:

After a lot of turmoil (not to mention dozens of posts in the Mac forum here as well as numerous complaints/suggestions/feedback from players to the CodeWarriors team who builts the wrapper), the WoWs version for Mac actually works pretty well now.  The version I use is pretty stable and gets good performance.  I personally can actually play the game now and don't feel like I'm constantly doing triage on the client just to make it work.  I would suggest a clean install on your Macbook, as the wrapper itself has changed a lot.  Also, expect to run WGC.  The Mac version hasn't used the standalone client for a year now.

Go HERE if you want the feedback forum.

I appreciate the guidance, and I dowloaded and installed - but i've tried it and for me it was horrid.  The only question i am left with is how to uninstall to get those massive files off my system.

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
16 hours ago, GiN_nTonic said:

I appreciate the guidance, and I dowloaded and installed - but i've tried it and for me it was horrid.  The only question i am left with is how to uninstall to get those massive files off my system.

IIRC, go into WGC, and click to uninstall WoWs, then open the Applications folder and delete the WGC application.  That should kill it all off.

Otherwise, navigate to /Users/<your login>/Library/Application Support/ and delete the Wargaming Game Center folder to kill off all game related files.

Hope this helps.

• Cool 1

[OWSS]
Beta Testers
802 posts
6,703 battles
3 hours ago, JAKeller said:

IIRC, go into WGC, and click to uninstall WoWs, then open the Applications folder and delete the WGC application.  That should kill it all off.

Otherwise, navigate to /Users/<your login>/Library/Application Support/ and delete the Wargaming Game Center folder to kill off all game related files.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.  I'm actually trying to go through Steam's install for WoWS on Mac.  I have it downloading right now, but it got me to thinking why others aren't doing this.  Does anyone know if this works or not??...i guess i'll find out, but I hope this does work.

Just to report back:  Thru Steam its the same thing for me....not good, heck not really even playable.  Perhaps a non-laptop Mac is whats needed.

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
On 3/1/2020 at 8:00 PM, GiN_nTonic said:

Thank you.  I'm actually trying to go through Steam's install for WoWS on Mac.  I have it downloading right now, but it got me to thinking why others aren't doing this.  Does anyone know if this works or not??...i guess i'll find out, but I hope this does work.

Just to report back:  Thru Steam its the same thing for me....not good, heck not really even playable.  Perhaps a non-laptop Mac is whats needed.

From what I"ve heard, it works, but has additional stability issues.  My mantra is simple: the fewer layers, the better.  You still would be running WGC in the background; that's how it was built by WG.  Problem is that Steam would be running in the background also.

I run a lot of Steam apps, but WG stuff I just run through their launcher and don't worry about it.

I use a Mac Pro at home.  No laptop.  Personally, I would never run a game through a laptop whenever performance is required just to play.

Edited by JAKeller

Sign in to follow this