You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Brhinosaurus

Challenge - hit Rank 1 playing Torpedo Destroyers!

40 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles

Hey everybody, would you like another forum thread whining about the inequalities of ranked play?  No?  What if this one comes with prizes?  Now we're talking!

Anyhow, ranked has always been a super frustrating experience for me.  The only type of ship I'm really good at are torpedo focused destroyers... but to be fair, I am pretty good at those, at least if my random stats mean anything.  I can generally catch up to the big boys in the Rank 5-2 league, but then it's a brick wall.  I just can't seem to influence a battle well enough to win more than half the time, and the mechanism that's supposed to award the persistent players - the star-saving-loss - seems nearly unobtainable for your friendly torpedo pushing, cap securing, enemy-spotting destroyer.  Frankly ranking out this way feels impossible.  So I'm going to give everyone a chance to prove me wrong!

Rules:

To win my contest, provide proof of the following:

1. Hit Rank 1 in Season 15 of ranked play (that's now!)

2. Have a minimum of 80% of your matches in the following ships: Shimakaze, Gearing, Somers, Grozovoi, Z-52, Daring, Yueyang.  That's all the DDs except the gunboat minicruisers.

3. Play on the North American server.  I dunno how the meta is on any of the other servers, so we'll stick with this one.

Proof shall consist of un-hidden stats so I can verify your achievement through wows-numbers.com.  In-game screenshots may be used for initial claims pending verification.

Prizes:

The first person to provide a verifiable claim shall receive 2000 dubloons

The next two people to provide verifiable claims shall each receive 1000 dubloons

The next three people to provide verifiable claims shall each receive 500 dubloons.

Good luck!

Edited by Brhinosaurus
  • Cool 5

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles

Update: some questions have been raised about Daring being on the approved list.  I can see the arguement either way but I'm going to leave it as-is. If all the prizes are claimed by Daring users I'll offer additional prizes to later finishers who don't use it. 

• Cool 2

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
39 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Hey everybody, would you like another forum thread whining about the inequalities of ranked play?  No?  What if this one comes with prizes?  Now we're talking!

Anyhow, ranked has always been a super frustrating experience for me.  The only type of ship I'm really good at are torpedo focused destroyers... but to be fair, I am pretty good at those, at least if my random stats mean anything.  I can generally catch up to the big boys in the Rank 5-2 league, but then it's a brick wall.  I just can't seem to influence a battle well enough to win more than half the time, and the mechanism that's supposed to award the persistent players - the star-saving-loss - seems nearly unobtainable for your friendly torpedo pushing, cap securing, enemy-spotting destroyer.  Frankly ranking out this way feels impossible.  So I'm going to give everyone a chance to prove me wrong!

Rules:

To win my contest, provide proof of the following:

1. Hit Rank 1 in Season 15 of ranked play (that's now!)

2. Have a minimum of 80% of your matches in the following ships: Shimakaze, Gearing, Somers, Grozovoi, Z-52, Daring, Yueyang.  That's all the DDs except the gunboat minicruisers.

Proof shall consist of un-hidden stats so I can verify your achievement through wows-numbers.com.  In-game screenshots may be used for initial claims pending verification.

Prizes:

The next two people to provide verifiable claims shall each receive 1000 dubloons

The next three people to provide verifiable claims shall each receive 500 dubloons.

Good luck!

Daring and Groz shouldn’t be on that list. Groz is a spammy boy, and Daring is a knife fighter. Neither of them should be getting a majority of their damage from torpedoes.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,805 posts
21,154 battles

Ah, can't even win a game let alone ranking out???  And, I like the shimmy and I seriously doubt I could ever, in this lifetime get to rank 1........  Radar, planes and people whom simply don't care make even trying non-value-added !

A nice thing you do but, only applies to the 5 percenters....  Us normal folk, need no apply !!  :Smile_child:

Members
6,900 posts
21,408 battles

Just played a game in my Shima against 2 Moskvas, 2 Des Moines and a Daring.

We had one Salem and three Smolensks . Every time any of us smoked up or spotted them we all got radared. I worked my [edited]off just to stay alive and land a few torps.

To much work for the 2,000 Dubs.

[LZ1]
Members
297 posts
6,360 battles
47 minutes ago, Sou1forge said:

Daring and Groz shouldn’t be on that list. Groz is a spammy boy, and Daring is a knife fighter. Neither of them should be getting a majority of their damage from torpedoes.

I'm using Daring exclusively and most of my damage is from torps. And I'm sinking big ships as well as DDs.

shot-20.02.26_15.29.30-0760.jpg

0 posts
1 hour ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Prizes:

Good luck!

May I suggest additionally to first prize:

- handkerchief with words: No CV, No cry and image of Bob Marley in flight uniform

- signed by WG tour guide map of city of Smolensk aka Capital of Salt State.

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles
43 minutes ago, Sou1forge said:

I understand where you're coming from.  Certainly there's a spectrum from "torpedo focused" to "gun focused" and also from "concealment based" to "speed based".  I'd put Grozovoi and Daring a lot closer to the true torpedo boats than I would group them with Kleber and Khab.

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
31 minutes ago, murder_0ne said:

I'm using Daring exclusively and most of my damage is from torps. And I'm sinking big ships as well as DDs.

shot-20.02.26_15.29.30-0760.jpg

Then I guess your a far better torpedo master than I.

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,465 posts
13,645 battles

I applaud your contest.

I'll rank out using these DDs because I find them useful, and I like what some might consider a challenge.  I have been feeling a new LU Gearing build ATM.  

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

[SBS]
Members
6,126 posts

Cool contest.  I suspect the super unicum DD players will rank out just as fast as they always do.  It will be interesting to see how things play out.  The last T10 ranked CVs were popular the first week then dropped off fast.  At that point DDs and cruisers seemed to be the preferred meta.

@Brhinosaurus You might want to specify if this is limited to NA, or open to all servers.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,360 posts
22,158 battles

Wait, what!?!

Grozovoi and Gearing are torp boats....

Dang, that's what I'm doing wrong.

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
1 minute ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Wait, what!?!

To be fair Gearing at least can run the Fletcher torps and then go for LU to pretend it’s a Shima (even though legendary upgrade makes torp reload slower I think). 

Groz though... I dunno.

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles
3 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

You might want to specify if this is limited to NA, or open to all servers.

Good call, I have edited that in.

3 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Wait, what!?!

So, so far people have objected to Daring, Grozovoi, and Gearing.  Our list of torp boats runs thin!

Members
16 posts
14,395 battles

Hey even better yet, have a category of ALL the AP AG spamming cruisers, A. how long they sit in smoke and behind islands, B. how many shots in 1 game they fired, C. how many actually hit, D. Rename this seasons Ranker Tier 10 season, World of Ranked Cruiser fire spamming, no wonder I don't so many BBs playing

[SBS]
Members
6,126 posts
7 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

So, so far people have objected to Daring, Grozovoi, and Gearing.  Our list of torp boats runs thin!

Maybe reword the contest name, stealth DDs, non-gun boats DDs or something like that.

[AAA]
Members
447 posts
16,323 battles

Kudos to you OP for making such a generous offer.

The issue with DD play in ranked is exactly what you said as well as how it's so difficult to save a star. If you don't save stars your climb up gets long. Trying to save a star in a DD with Smolensk, Venezia, BBs in these matches will be extremely difficult. I was lucky in the past to save stars about 5% of the time in losses in exclusively DD play. Playing DD only in ranked is asking for max pain.

WG could step up at any time and...oh who am I kidding.

Members
106 posts
12,043 battles

I know that YY and Shima can go the distance.  Between those two ships, have won 21 of 26 games.  Both ships have excellent qualities for this season - fast, stealthy, maneuverable, and hard-hitting torps that extend past radar range.  The main differences are that YY has workable AA and is playable against CVs (even if it means using its extra smokes) and Shima can torp DDs. 

Whether I have the staying power to get to rank 1 is a different question.  Sitting at rank 6, but its just getting monotonous...

Members
443 posts
451 battles

The only DD that should be on the list is the only real DD in the game: F3 Shima running torp acceleration. Of course, that might explain why I have zero karma...I can’t keep these stupid threads straight.

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles

I've got about a 65% win rate so far running Shima and Somers.  I think a big part of that has been matchmaker being overly kind to me though... which means a reversion to the mean is coming and it's going to suuuuck.

10 hours ago, robotdaddy said:

Whether I have the staying power to get to rank 1 is a different question.  Sitting at rank 6, but its just getting monotonous...

I've always found getting to R5 to be reasonably doable, but then progressing from there is brutal.  Good luck!

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,815 battles
On 2/28/2020 at 3:23 PM, Brhinosaurus said:

Update: some questions have been raised about Daring being on the approved list.  I can see the arguement either way but I'm going to leave it as-is. If all the prizes are claimed by Daring users I'll offer additional prizes to later finishers who don't use it. 

You need to put a cap on the number of games required, otherwise anyone could do it given enough attempts … 

200 or less would be reasonable 

Edited by Commander_367