Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
bronx182

Nvidia GeForce Now

6 comments in this topic

[JOV-]
Members
16 posts
6,813 battles

GeForce Now is a streaming service from Nvidia that lets you play games on their machines. I've used it for about six months in Beta test and have been very satisfied. It gives me a constant 75 fps on the highest graphic settings with a ping of about 35.

It is now open to all users. If I understand correctly, you can join for free which gives you one hour sessions (you can quit and log in again), or have unlimited play for $ 4.99/month with the first three months free.

One caveat. The WOWS client does not update automatically when a patch comes down. You need to contact Nvidia customer support to alert them to update. They are very responsive, but it can take a day or two.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-now/#product-matrix

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,134 posts
4,766 battles

I have used it.  It gives a very nice display, but has limitations - it's a virtual desktop so makes it difficult to get to your own, with Discord, browser, etc.  No mods are possible since the client is remote. 

However, one-hour sessions are unacceptable, lagging updates may be unacceptable, and I object to a monthly charge to play a F2P game.  I'd rather put the $ into the game.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 3

[WOLFG]
Members
31,244 posts
9,606 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I have used it.  It gives a very nice display, but has limitations - it's a virtual desktop so makes it difficult to get to your own, with Discord, browser, etc.  No mods are possible since the client is remote. 

However, one-hour sessions are unacceptable, lagging updates may be unacceptable, and I object to a monthly charge to play a F2P game.  I'd rather put the $ into the game.

5 bucks a month is a pretty good deal though, if you don't already have a decent rig.

If I hadn't built a new PC last year, I'd definitely be looking into this. There was nothing wrong with my old rig, and for what I spent on the new one, I could game well into retirement. (if I can ever afford to lol)

The only issue I can really think of is, what games do you have access to? Is it their library, or can you give them access to say your Steam account? 

That would make a difference, as I play a lot of indie games. 

EDIT: never mind, I just looked it up and answered my question lol.

The idea of not being able to play because of busy servers is kind of iffy. Although, I assume if it takes off, they'll keep adding servers.

Edited by Skpstr

[JOV-]
Members
16 posts
6,813 battles
37 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

The idea of not being able to play because of busy servers is kind of iffy. Although, I assume if it takes off, they'll keep adding servers.

I've only had to wait a few times over the hundreds of times I've logged in, and it was a very short wait. Paying users get priority.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,244 posts
9,606 battles
9 minutes ago, bronx182 said:

I've only had to wait a few times over the hundreds of times I've logged in, and it was a very short wait. Paying users get priority.

It's probably not something I'll bother with now, as I can play all my games full-on at 4k. (or 1440p, if it's night time, and I can't turn up the volume to drown out my GPU fans lol)

But once this rig starts showing its age, I'll probably go that route. By then, I'm sure any teething troubles (there's always some with anything) will be long since solved, and waits won't ever be a thing.

Edited by Skpstr

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,341 posts
13,466 battles

Check out Shadow PC. It's more expensive but it gives you full Windows 10 experience. So you get to install any games you want. Mods and resolution other than 1080p too.

One of the issue is it's got only 256GB of storage.

Edited by chewonit

Sign in to follow this