You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
cthuhulu

Rank 10; keep going or call it a day

30 comments in this topic

[USMC-]
Members
327 posts
8,845 battles

This time I made it to Rank 10 in six games (5-0-1) and this is my usual stopping point. I historically hit a wall at this point and never get any higher.

Why does this happen? Am I just not good enough to compete in games that are higher ranked (52% win rate in ransoms) or does the meta for those higher ranked games not fit my play style. Not sure and don’t expect an answer for that, just thinking out loud.

I don’t know but for the sake of my blood pressure I need to limit my salt and I will probably stop here unless I can hear an argument saying how this season is different.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
11,915 posts
19,466 battles

If you love pain and misery, then continue...

If you reached your tolerance... Then just stop...

Rank is for the select breed of our community... I know I am not one of them...

[WOLFB]
Members
438 posts
8,277 battles

Take it as you might but me with 18 battles in this season so far, and 72% WR, cannot make it past rank 9, which is only 4 wins in a row.

I usually just make it to rank 10 for the flag and quit, may try again later but from what i've seen, even with super unicum win rates, i ain't making it to rank 1 any time soon.

Edited by Saidalphon

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,734 posts
7,251 battles
5 minutes ago, cthuhulu said:

This time I made it to Rank 10 in six games (5-0-1) and this is my usual stopping point. I historically hit a wall at this point and never get any higher.

Why does this happen? Am I just not good enough to compete in games that are higher ranked (52% win rate in ransoms) or does the meta for those higher ranked games not fit my play style. Not sure and don’t expect an answer for that, just thinking out loud.

I don’t know but for the sake of my blood pressure I need to limit my salt and I will probably stop here unless I can hear an argument saying how this season is different.

10 is usually my point as well.  I added another couple of stars last night in 10.... I need 1900 more steel to get Stalingrad?   I can't decide if I want to trudge on or not? of course once I get the steel I'll probably be pulled to wait and see if anything else drops out that I might want more?     

Members
3,109 posts
12,421 battles
3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I am actually enjoying ranked quite a bit.  It all depends on your point of view.  If you are hell bent on reaching rank 1 as soon as possible, it can be frustrating back and forth.  If you are just playing to actually have some fun while getting the rest of your legendary upgrades, it’s actually pretty awesome.

[WORX]
Members
11,915 posts
19,466 battles
4 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I am actually enjoying ranked quite a bit.  It all depends on your point of view.  If you are hell bent on reaching rank 1 as soon as possible, it can be frustrating back and forth.  If you are just playing to actually have some fun while getting the rest of your legendary upgrades, it’s actually pretty awesome.

I'll skip it this time... High tier games have disproportionate DMG/ disproportional game Mechanics.  I dont want to deal with this time around...Maybe next season..

Again my hats off to those who will Rank out...  They can do something I can't.. I just dont like the grind and the misery Rank can dish out :Smile_smile:.

[PVE]
Members
4,780 posts
21,093 battles
15 minutes ago, cthuhulu said:

I lasted one game.  Nooooooooooo  !   What a complete mess Ranked at Tier 10 is.  Never again.  Winning seems to be about RNG because the game was decided by players (2) whom really didn't have a clue how to even operate their ships..... 

So, since we can't control whom are on our teams, what is the point???  Luck?  Friend of mine has 9 straight losses....  You have 5 wins....????  Pass.

Members
394 posts
7,148 battles
26 minutes ago, cthuhulu said:

As long you enjoy playing...Do it! But if you are tired and getting salty... STOP!

Remember you don't get paid to be Good to this Game.

Goodluck o7.

• Cool 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,189 posts
5,616 battles

Its arms race. We havent had arms race in so many months, and it is just a fun game mode where you can try all sorts of wierd builds. Also idk about you but I much prefer the smaller more personal team comps. 

So, what about just playing the game mode for fun! See if the ranks come by themselves and if not. Just fall back to rank 12 and have some fun in the mode. Maybe even work on some legendary module grinds before they are gone. 

Ranked is more of a mental game than a skill based game. Stick to certain principles and avoid getting salty. If you are on a winning streak, dont stop playing until you absolutley have to. If you lose more than 3, take a break and hit it again. I've crossed from rank 8 to 5 in one night before, you just gotta try and have fun and know when it is a good idea to play and when not.

Edited by _BBaby

[AAYC]
Beta Testers
791 posts
13,010 battles

For me his season has been a real slog.  It doesn't usually take me that long to get to 10, then quit like OP is thinking about.  This season is just brutal and truly I don't know why.  I had one match with two AFKs, several others were one ship would just sail off into the sunset toward the edge of the map.  Certainly I have had my doh! moments (overextend or miss someone on the map) but wow, it has been a test to just hit battle.

[GGWP]
Members
7,204 posts
16,676 battles

If you don't care about stats, then why not keep going? What bad thing is going to happen if you keep playing? Play it just to play it and if you get higher, then that's just a bonus. 

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,509 posts
18,105 battles

I personally just aim for rank 10 and stop. If they had a safety net here and there, say one at tier 8 and then one at tier 5, I would definitely trudge on. Without it I'd just be yelling at the computer or breaking a mouse in frustration lol. Hats off to the people that push through to rank 1.

Image result for hats off gif

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,162 posts
22,715 battles
42 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Let's not say "Rank is for the select breed of our community" as that makes them sound special. They just have more tolerance for the Ranked grind. I would think "Ranked is for a portion of our community, maybe, hmm?

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,162 posts
22,715 battles
4 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

If you don't care about stats, then why not keep going? What bad thing is going to happen if you keep playing? Play it just to play it and if you get higher, then that's just a bonus. 

The only reason I will trudge on this season is to get those UU for Des Moines and other T10's that I have. Otherwise I would be done now at Rank 11.

[WORX]
Members
11,915 posts
19,466 battles
17 minutes ago, Khafni said:

They just have more tolerance for the Ranked grind. I would think "Ranked is for a portion of our community, maybe, hmm? 

In this case, its how its looked at... To me, I do think people who rank out are special... They can handle misery and the grind better then I can...

I in turn, show them my gratitude for what they can achieve... In the end, not everyone has what those who manage to rank out have...

Others my think, Ah! no big deal.. IMO, at least in Rank... The Grind is real...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
2,750 posts
29,436 battles

I'll come back to Ranked play when they start varying the ship tiers from one season to the next. It was a hell of a lot more fun when it was mid-tier ships. The last four seasons I played exactly one game in each and said goodby to the salt, which gets ever saltier as time goes by....

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,630 posts
10,667 battles
1 hour ago, Saidalphon said:

Take it as you might but me with 18 battles in this season so far, and 72% WR, cannot make it past rank 9, which is only 4 wins in a row.

I usually just make it to rank 10 for the flag and quit, may try again later but from what i've seen, even with super unicum win rates, i ain't making it to rank 1 any time soon.

At 70% win rate, you progress at 4 stars per 10 games (8 per 20).  That is pretty good.  If you save a star in one of the 3 losses per 10, then you gain 5 stars every 10 games which is even better.  If you only save a star every 6 losses, then the rate of gain is still 9 per 20 games, which is still quite high.  I would take it.  It wouldn't take long to rank out with that rate of victory.  Now, if the victory % was higher early on and has plateaued and the average is falling with each group of games, then that is another problem.  The lower recent win percentage will affect the rate of progression by a big factor if you don't save stars.

1 hour ago, iRA6E said:

10 is usually my point as well.  I added another couple of stars last night in 10.... I need 1900 more steel to get Stalingrad?   I can't decide if I want to trudge on or not? of course once I get the steel I'll probably be pulled to wait and see if anything else drops out that I might want more?     

If it is fun, keep going.  If not, then end it.  I usually play depending on fun factor of the game metric.  As others have mentioned, it is a great way to grind T10 Legendary Upgrades.  If you happen to get a few win streaks happening, you could score a few extra ranks and some precious steel.

[WOLFB]
Members
438 posts
8,277 battles
10 minutes ago, Murcc said:

At 70% win rate, you progress at 4 stars per 10 games (8 per 20).  That is pretty good.  If you save a star in one of the 3 losses per 10, then you gain 5 stars every 10 games which is even better.  If you only save a star every 6 losses, then the rate of gain is still 9 per 20 games, which is still quite high.  I would take it.  It wouldn't take long to rank out with that rate of victory.  Now, if the victory % was higher early on and has plateaued and the average is falling with each group of games, then that is another problem.  The lower recent win percentage will affect the rate of progression by a big factor if you don't save stars.

As statistically possible as it is for me to rank out, I know the limits of my patience and hoo boi has this season tested my patience, the other part of the problem is I only have two ships to play this season, Z52, and Hindenburg.

I have to put in a lot more effort with these boats just to win or just to save my star compared to the oodles of Smolensks just grinding BB HP worths of damage in a minute or two, and that's before they get buffs.

Another problem is high DPM ships in general have benefited a lot more from the arms race buffs, as the high DPM allows you to out trade the heal buffs.

This season has turned into what was once the Belfast T7 season, a smoky mess.

[TNG-2]
Members
207 posts
14,678 battles

If you like the game mode (arms race) then keep going and don't worry about progression.  The more you focus on wins and losses, stars won and lost, the more the mode sucks.  The more you just play for fun and don't worry about it, it's one of my favorite game modes.  On top of that, It doesn't get hyper competitive until 5-2... so if you must set a goal, get to rank 5 and stop.  In the end, it's about having fun... so have fun with it and don't worry about it.

• Cool 1

[TNG-2]
Members
207 posts
14,678 battles
1 hour ago, iRA6E said:

Stalingrad is must have... seriously, get it if you like BB's or CA's at all... get it.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,001 posts
12,476 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Rank is for the select breed of our community

Ranked is for those who demand and respect skill based MM. Not everyone needs it; but some love it. 

I miss t8 ranked battles.

[TNG-2]
Members
207 posts
14,678 battles
1 hour ago, Saidalphon said:

You should keep playing ranked this season.  You're a great player and you aren't thinking about the game mode correctly.  Don't think about the stars... think about number of games and number of wins.  I've ranked out the last 6 seasons.  My win rate in ranked is between 54% (worst rank out season) and 63% (best rank out season).  The number of games to rank out measure between 124 (best season) and 176 (worst season).  So rather than focusing on stars, focus on number of games and don't worry about the stars on any given day.  Tell yourself, "it will take about 200 games to rank out." Then go to work playing about 10 games a day (or surge on some days and none on others).  I think you'll be surprised at your progress.

[CRUEL]
Members
493 posts
8,410 battles

So yesterday I lost 7 in a row. I tried different ships, different tactics and ended up in the top 50% or higher in all of them and saved 2 stars. I just cant understand the yolo bbs or cruisers that sail right in to a torp wall with hydro on. I'll try a few today but it it ends up like yesterday I'm done.

[WOLFB]
Members
438 posts
8,277 battles
3 minutes ago, Heed_04 said:

You should keep playing ranked this season.  You're a great player and you aren't thinking about the game mode correctly.  Don't think about the stars... think about number of games and number of wins.  I've ranked out the last 6 seasons.  My win rate in ranked is between 54% (worst rank out season) and 63% (best rank out season).  The number of games to rank out measure between 124 (best season) and 176 (worst season).  So rather than focusing on stars, focus on number of games and don't worry about the stars on any given day.  Tell yourself, "it will take about 200 games to rank out." Then go to work playing about 10 games a day (or surge on some days and none on others).  I think you'll be surprised at your progress.

Oh don't worry, I enjoy the hell out of arms race and understand it decently enough (although most people forget that grabbing buffs gives you points and deducts points from the enemy as if you destroyed a ship but you know), and i will keep trying to rank out, there's still plenty of time left for this season. 

It's just that my patience as someone who tries to be a team player in a "team" game that is described as "the thinking mans game" is cut very short when you eventually realize it's just a 1v13 to see who can out damage the other, cause damage is the only thing rewarded in this mode.

Had a game in my z52 where i held down the middle, denied 3 enemies just about 2 to 3 buffs and kept em spotted for my team, but in the end, since i only did 48k damage, i lost around 50k credits and placed third to last.

Ranked would be a lot more satisfying, personally, if actually being a team was rewarding, cause on the other hand, doing clan battles with the lads in WOLFB has been fun as hell, and we're not even clan battle centric clan, we do it cause it's fun too cooperate and come up with plans to surmount the enemy and tricky situations, the other good part about clan battles is EVERYONE IS REWARDED AS EQUALS, win or lose, cause you all contributed.