Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Camo68

Liquidator Achievement - When was your last one?

23 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,718 posts
4 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

Mine was 25 Feb 2019 when was yours?

Those are rare for me. 02/06/19 in my Gearing. Have you noticed that WG uses the European date format? It would be more appropriate to use the American format on the NA server.

Edited by Snargfargle

Beta Testers
694 posts
3,697 battles

I have 5 and the last was on 24/6/2018. Maybe NA should join the rest of the world in uniform measurement. 

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,718 posts
Just now, AzureTerra said:

I have 5 and the last was on 24/6/2018. Maybe NA should join the rest of the world in uniform measurement. 

It's a minor piece of coding to change the achievements' date format. Or, they could do something like 15 Feb 2020, which is how we did dates in the Army. For an American, 02/03 means Feb 3rd, not March 2nd. When you publish software in America it's probably better to change the software rather than to expect 350 million people to change the way they think about dates. 

[PHD]
Members
247 posts
7,539 battles
38 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Those are rare for me. 02/06/19 in my Gearing. Have you noticed that WG uses the European date format? It would be more appropriate to use the American format on the NA server.

When I took Mechanical Drafting in High School in the early 1970's in Andover, MA, we were taught to date our documents that way (28 Feb 2020).

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,168 posts
22,715 battles

4 June 2018 in the Graf Spee. It has been awhile...

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,168 posts
22,715 battles
26 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It's a minor piece of coding to change the achievements' date format. Or, they could do something like 15 Feb 2020, which is how we did dates in the Army. For an American, 02/03 means Feb 3rd, not March 2nd. When you publish software in America it's probably better to change the software rather than to expect 350 million people to change the way they think about dates. 

Yeah. Put that right up there with learning to think in meters vice yards... lol

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,718 posts
19 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Yeah. Put that right up there with learning to think in meters vice yards... lol

In the military and mostly in science the US uses SI units. However, the US also is surveyed and the roads and properties are platted in US Customary Units, which means that they are pretty much always going to be used. Waterway surveys also use US Customary Units as do building materials.

I do a lot of building and it makes more sense to use fractional units when doing this because every scale is just a halving or doubling of the next. In fact, if you use fractions you don't even need to use units to build things accurately in relation to themselves, just a marking stick and a string. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLFG]
Members
31,352 posts
9,637 battles

I'm not sure, I'll have to check with Pepperidge Farms.......

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
826 posts
7,424 battles
10 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Didn't they remove it from the game?

I thought I saw something about that months ago.

EDIT: It was the changes to the flooding mechanics last year that nerfed flood damage. Getting a Liquidator achievement these days is just as easy as earning Puerto Rico for free.

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles

April 20th of last year, in a Harugumo of all things.  It was part of my personal record 323k damage game.  Got it on a Yamato... started two fires which inspired a damage con, then 1 torp hit out of volley for a flood, then another fire... then when the torpedoes were loaded again minutes later, I shot one volley, hit torpedo reload boost, waited a bit, and then fired again.  First set got one hit and flood which he damage conned, and second set got two more hits and floods which did the job.

Basically you need to start a flood on a ship that just blew its DCP... twice.

Beta Testers
694 posts
3,697 battles
16 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Yet someday those 350 million people would be better off joining the age of enlightenment than continuing to live in the dark ages. They will always in the past sadly they cant change that its how the date line works but at least they should match the rest of the would in measurement.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,718 posts
38 minutes ago, AzureTerra said:

Yet someday those 350 million people would be better off joining the age of enlightenment than continuing to live in the dark ages. They will always in the past sadly they cant change that its how the date line works but at least they should match the rest of the would in measurement.

I think I told you why the US will continue to use US common units. It has nothing to do with being obstinate. It would cost trillions to resurvey and replat all the land in the US.

I hardly think the US is living in the "Dark Ages" either. Our graduate schools, especially those offering advanced degrees in STEM fields, are filled with people from all over the globe. Half of the world's top ten universities are in the US. 

[IXM]
Members
272 posts
5,851 battles
19 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

It would be more appropriate to use the American format on the NA server.

If anything, the world should use the ISO 8601 standard date, YYYY-MM-DD not the aft-backwards DD/MM/YYYY or even-more-aft-backwards MM/DD/YYYY. Simply because writing your dates in a most-significant-number-first format is what we use, like, literally everywhere. Also makes sorting through your photos/screenshots named in this format a breeze, because it automatically sorts oldest to newest (or newest to oldest if reverse alphabetical). I mean, you can easily tell that 2020-02-29 is a much more recent date than 1997-11-02 or something like that, right? Now try it with 02/29/2020 vs 02/11/1997. You can't even ducking tell if the later is in MM/DD/YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY format!

As for the topic at hand, my last one was on 2019-01-20, in a Minotaur. I'm pretty sure the achievement has been removed during the flooding changes, since now floodings don't stick around for nearly as long as they used to, and don't do as much damage either. I remember getting devastating strikes on battleships with a single torp + flooding back in the day, just because the poor sucker had used their damage control at the wrong moment. But from the sender's point of view it was kinda hilarious: get a torp hit on something, then like 1-1.5 minutes later, when you've completely forgotten about it already, bam! kill and devstrike. And you're left wondering whom did you kill when there's no ship in sight :D

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
694 posts
3,697 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I think I told you why the US will continue to use US common units. It has nothing to do with being obstinate. It would cost trillions to resurvey and replat all the land in the US.

I hardly think the US is living in the "Dark Ages" either. Our graduate schools, especially those offering advanced degrees in STEM fields, are filled with people from all over the globe. Half of the world's top ten universities are in the US. 

Well WG being a Non American company should continue to use the standard that the rest of the world uses and the NA server will just have to accept that the greater sum of the globe does it another way. But that i guess is the cultural trope of the average american, expects everything to conform to them. 

[SYN]
Members
3,746 posts
23,959 battles
5 hours ago, AzureTerra said:

the NA server will just have to accept that the greater sum of the globe does it another way. But that i guess is the cultural trope of the average american, expects everything to conform to them. 

The NA region isn't standardised anyway, Canada & Mexico both use differing standards to the USA.

Edited by Camo68

Sign in to follow this