You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DuckyShot

Worst play in ranked ever

44 comments in this topic

[GGWP]
Members
7,204 posts
16,673 battles

Last night I saw dd's with some of the worst play I have ever seen in ranked. I've played a lot of ranked over the years and these dds made some very questionable decisions. 

I'm talking a groz who capped his initial buff on his side of the map about 2 minutes after everybody else and then did nothing the rest of the game, didn't cap another buff, didn't spot, didn't torp. 

A Shima who would not cap any of the buffs and sat stationary after his engine got wrecked. 

A Shima that nearly circled the whole map at torpedo range after only capping his first buff. 

The kicker about all these players?? They were enemy dds and my team lost all of those games..... Ouch... 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 2

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Interesting.

How many CVs did you come across in all your games?

[GGWP]
Members
7,204 posts
16,673 battles
3 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Interesting.

How many CVs did you come across in all your games?

I think I managed to get snagged into 2 cv games out of my 10. But I was actively dodging them in queue

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,734 posts
7,251 battles

Not sure I'm a big fan of Arms Race for ranked...   It just seems so haphazard, many players do not seem to know what to do without the caps... Most didn't seem to care at all about the buffs.   I didn't see a lot of DDs last night either which made play a bit more stagnant..   I split my play with CV/CA.   In at least two games I capped buffs in a CV?  One game I was allowed to capture two?  Maybe I just caught a bad run of new players...of course I started out at 14, so a lot more new players there.    

[KWF]
Members
5,176 posts
6,659 battles

1. CVs in a 7v7 format.

2. Cumulative HP heals based on percentage making certain BBs nigh unkillable and saturation giving diminishing returns.

3. Lack of proper caps early-mid game leading to tactical staleness.

4. Reload buffs on ships with already stupid reloads. 

5. Deterioration of play skill wise.

I am sure I could find even more things design wise that make this season miserable. What annoys me even more is that some issues were already known from previous Arms Races but nothing was changed. 

Seriously, if it wasn't my only opportunity to grab Steel I wouldn't bother.

• Cool 2

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
10,513 battles
12 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Last night I saw dd's with some of the worst play I have ever seen in ranked. I've played a lot of ranked over the years and these dds made some very questionable decisions. 

I'm talking a groz who capped his initial buff on his side of the map about 2 minutes after everybody else and then did nothing the rest of the game, didn't cap another buff, didn't spot, didn't torp. 

A Shima who would not cap any of the buffs and sat stationary after his engine got wrecked. 

A Shima that nearly circled the whole map at torpedo range after only capping his first buff. 

The kicker about all these players?? They were enemy dds and my team lost all of those games..... Ouch... 

This is a very interesting post.

I notice that you saw terrible DD play by the enemy all game long. The DDs were alive long enough for you to be amazed at their lack of skill.

And, your team lost.

Therefore, your own teams cruisers were so bad at their job, in fact your whole team was so bad at their job, that they could not even kill very poorly skilled DDs.

This is a real thing. People who cannot kills poor DDs, or who will not, which is the same thing, are going to lose.

I am beginning to get a twitch in my eye because I keep having to kill DDs when playing the Kremlin. This happens a lot, and the reason is.......

The cruisers are shooting the "easy" targets, which are big, slow BBs, with HE spam. The DDs are trying to torp things. Big, slow BBs. The BBs are trying to shoot easy targets. Squishy cruisers.

Everyone is shooting at the easy damage. Nobody wants to "waste" a salvo on a hard to hit target. The metrics of the game reward damage, so people farm damage, the easiest way they can.

The good news is this: if you do get a team that LIKES shooting DDs, you will ROFLstomp all the things. Because this means you have folks who like doing the hard thing, and those are exactly the folks who get good at doing the hard thing.

I might be developing a twitch in my eye, having to engage Klebers in a Krem, but the enterprise is not hurting my aim any.

God bless the cruiser who likes to shoot at DDs, and drive them off the cap, and hear the lamentations of their women. These people are the true warriors of WOWs.

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
4,778 posts
21,093 battles
7 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Finally, a thread that is 100% accurate and so many can identify with.   :cap_horn:

It's the only reason I am even trying ranked because we don't have enough players in our clan to participate in Clan Battles anymore....

Now, putting up with the antics in Ranked is difficult and every match is negative Karma...........no matter what you do or how well you play nor, even if you win.

[GGWP]
Members
7,204 posts
16,673 battles
2 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Now, putting up with the antics in Ranked is difficult and every match is negative Karma...........no matter what you do or how well you play nor, even if you win.

Ranked is where I gain most of my karma

[ARGSY]
Members
22,213 posts
16,179 battles
30 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Ouch.

9 minutes ago, SidTheBlade said:

This is a very interesting post.

I notice that you saw terrible DD play by the enemy all game long. The DDs were alive long enough for you to be amazed at their lack of skill.

And, your team lost.

Therefore, your own teams cruisers were so bad at their job, in fact your whole team was so bad at their job, that they could not even kill very poorly skilled DDs.

This is a real thing. People who cannot kills poor DDs, or who will not, which is the same thing, are going to lose.

I am beginning to get a twitch in my eye because I keep having to kill DDs when playing the Kremlin. This happens a lot, and the reason is.......

The cruisers are shooting the "easy" targets, which are big, slow BBs, with HE spam. The DDs are trying to torp things. Big, slow BBs. The BBs are trying to shoot easy targets. Squishy cruisers.

Everyone is shooting at the easy damage. Nobody wants to "waste" a salvo on a hard to hit target. The metrics of the game reward damage, so people farm damage, the easiest way they can.

The good news is this: if you do get a team that LIKES shooting DDs, you will ROFLstomp all the things. Because this means you have folks who like doing the hard thing, and those are exactly the folks who get good at doing the hard thing.

I might be developing a twitch in my eye, having to engage Klebers in a Krem, but the enterprise is not hurting my aim any.

God bless the cruiser who likes to shoot at DDs, and drive them off the cap, and hear the lamentations of their women. These people are the true warriors of WOWs.

This person speaks sense.

10 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The following is not directed at you, but:

"My steel mill brings all the derps to the yard."

And unfortunately it keeps them there, long after they should have slunk off and gone back to Randoms. I think a case could be made for no steel being available until players got out of the band of irrevocable ranks at the bottom, because you can be damn sure (IMHO) that they're there to be carried up that band of irrevocable ranks and grab what steel they can with minimal effort.

Take that low-hanging fruit away, and the low-level derp-meisters would not even TOUCH Ranked.

• Boring 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,261 battles

The NEW ranked, all the toxicity of the old ranked and now topped off with an extra dose of stupidity!

[TARK]
Members
640 posts
21 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Ouch.

This person speaks sense.

The following is not directed at you, but:

"My steel mill brings all the derps to the yard."

And unfortunately it keeps them there, long after they should have slunk off and gone back to Randoms. I think a case could be made for no steel being available until players got out of the band of irrevocable ranks at the bottom, because you can be damn sure (IMHO) that they're there to be carried up that band of irrevocable ranks and grab what steel they can with minimal effort.

Take that low-hanging fruit away, and the low-level derp-meisters would not even TOUCH Ranked.

Wait I can get steel without knowing how to play?

Guess I'm playing ranked tonight!  I need that steel to clench my smolensk before time runs out so that I can spam HE from 20km.

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,856 posts
18,011 battles
50 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

I didn't see a lot of DDs last night either which made play a bit more stagnant..   I split my play with CV/CA.   In at least two games I capped buffs in a CV?  One game I was allowed to capture two?  Maybe I just caught a bad run of new players...of course I started out at 14, so a lot more new players there.    

These things are probably related. Presence of CVs (you're driving one half the time) drives people away from playing DDs (if not completely away from Ranked altogether). With CVs likely in any given match, a cruiser is a safer choice.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,213 posts
16,179 battles
10 minutes ago, Eckarbeiter said:

I need that steel to clench my smolensk before time runs out so that I can spam HE from 20km.

I normally warn people away from spending steel on coal ships, but "imminent withdrawal" is grounds for an exception. 

If you are strong in French battleships and cruisers AND you have (and like) Richelieu and Dunkerque AND you do not have Jean Bart, I would suggest getting her instead. Smolensk is buckets of fun for killing bots and racking up main battery hits while being able to slip the occasional torpedo in as well, and trolling in Randoms/Ranked/Clan battles can be fun if you don't mind the negative Karma, but the Flint is (eventually) going to become a coal ship and can do the same tasks at Tier 7.

JB has been very useful to me for all sorts of things in a host of directives since mid last year, and may represent the better ship, but of course she cannot do T10 Ranked and Clan battles. Decide according to your needs.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,207 posts
9,579 battles
26 minutes ago, Umikami said:

The NEW ranked, all the toxicity of the old ranked and now topped off with an extra dose of stupidity!

Yup, I can handle the regular Ranked, at least long enough to get some decent rewards, but this Arms Race stuff? IMO, the game is arcadey enough without "powerups".

Although I don't mind it being around, since I'm not forced to play it.

Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

I think I managed to get snagged into 2 cv games out of my 10. But I was actively dodging them in queue

Preach it brother! One thing that really gets under my skin is the godly RNG rocket planes always get.

In a DM with DFAA activated and sector on correct side. First pass=5k damage+plus 2 fires. Second pass 5-7k damage+ 1 more fire and engine out.

seriously?

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,734 posts
7,251 battles
55 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Even in a CV I find this to be true...   Players appreciate valuable play more in ranked.   They also on the other hand are free with neg if deserved.  

[--K--]
Members
1,351 posts
11,682 battles

I found playing aggressive in DD’s this season is... not beneficially.  With the hyper emphasis on a campy, radar based game mode, I found that playing a more reconnaissance roll has been most beneficially in not only playing to the strengths of being a DD, but helps draw your team out of hiding and engaging the enemy.

Unfortunately, this leaves it extremely difficult to save a star as a DD player, although I usually break from this roll towards the end of the game and start to farm more damage.  

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,558 posts
25,372 battles
1 hour ago, SidTheBlade said:

I'm all for aggressive positioning and direct support to the DDs. However, its difficult due to the fact so many players are hesitant to move forward and do any one take any damage.

I've also seen way too many DDs just hiding, not trying to grab buffs, or stay at long range and slinging useless torps every two minutes. 

I just wish more people would notice the trends that win games and play accordingly.

[SIMP]
Members
1,376 posts
11,450 battles
3 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Happy Happy Karma!!

[UEFN]
Members
1,349 posts
23,919 battles
3 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

it made you wonder if those were real human beings behind those ships didn't it?  i refused to believe human being could be that stupid.... and i think the majority of those questionable gameplays were of very low intelligent bots that were programmed and designed to look like real players.

they are low IQ bots, don't believe everything you see in the match.

[WOLF6]
Members
186 posts
6,762 battles
4 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

How does he know so much about red DDs?  Proof postive for cheats.

/S

I know he's just being funny or is he?