You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
poeticmotion

Y'all, Bourgogne is disgustingly OP in Arms Race Ranked Mode (& Ranked Day 1 Brag Thread)

16 comments in this topic

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,238 battles

Y'all, I'm not nearly as good as Bourgogne is making me look so far this ranked season. 

Day 1: Won my first game, lost my second game, and then I just started winning and winning and winning. So I figured I'd keep playing until I lost. That took a while. Day 1 final total: 12 wins, 2 losses, 1 draw. And 4 of those wins were hard carries, and a couple more were arguably carry-ish. (To be fair, two of the other wins I got too aggressive and got carried...the others I contributed my fair share but I didn't carry hard.)

FE4KA4y.png

Y'all, srsly, manly-build Bourgogne is disgustingly OP in Arms Race ranked. She's my favorite BB anyway,  but in this game mode, she's actually better than she is in randoms. 

To be fair, I don't know if she'd do as well in a normal season, or in clan battles. Her low HP pool is usually a huge liability. But the quirky nature of arms race plays to her strengths. She benefits from arms race buffs more than most BBs. 

• Once the team gets a couple of heal buffs, she can heal up damage and bounce back quick, mitigating her usual HP disadvantage and helping her survivability immensely. 
  • The maneuverability buffs enhance an already memeworthy top speed...there's something hilarious about doing 41 knots in a BB. I had great success flanking wide away from the main body of the team, taking verbal abuse from potatoes yelling 'stick together', and grabbing buffs while positioning myself for broadside shots on the red team. Popping up on their flank and delivering 36 rounds of 380mm love taps in 25 seconds (thx to reload booster) never got old. 
  • The heal buffs and her speed and agility combine to make her even more survivable...when I got focused, I could turn and kite away and if need be go dark for a couple minutes to heal. And when CVs tried to focus me since I was split from main body of fleet, I was able to dodge their attacks a good bit of the time, kill a ton of planes, AND free up my team to push without getting harassed by planes. 
  • The other nice thing about Main Battery Reload Booster? Between that and my secondaries, any DD which showed up in my secondaries range got deleted quick, and a few even out of range. I use AP most of the time in Bourgogne, but MBRB lets me clear my AP with a salvo and have HE on my next 11 seconds later...I deleted a hilarious number of red DDs today. I play my Bourgogne  (& Republique) like gunboat DDs anyway...Arms Race just lets me get away with it more easily. 

Without the constant heal buff and other buffs in arms race, I don't know if I could have played as aggressively as I am able to in this game mode. She's good in randoms, but I don't think she'd be quite as strong in clan battles or a normal ranked season. But her consumables loadout, fast reload, and meme speed all benefit tremendously from the buffs, even more so than other BBs since they're already so ludicrous. 

I doubt I'll keep winning 80%, but  I have no doubt I'll rank out faster this season than I ever have, because this ship makes me look insanely good. I know I had a run of good teams today, but I also carried some games I don't think I could have carried in any other ship. If you've got a Bourgogne and you've hesitated to bring her into ranked because of her weaknesses in normal competitive play (low HP, mainly) I highly recommend you give her a try. 

Highlights: 

My favorite was the game where I did 20k damage to every ship on the red team. Managed to save our still fairly high HP Kremlin from getting rammed....at the cost of doing 10k dmg to him myself. I got the red ship ten feet short of the ram, but I also had a few shells hit the friendly. He didn't mind, since I saved his butt and we carried the team together. 

ShNZOzc.png

4lHw8ct.png

A few other highlights: 

Spoiler

IEYfOeE.png

13Kz4Q4.png

uPikwjo.png

AlegxUE.png

This ship is ungodly and I will love her forever. How'd the rest of y'all do today? 

rOEgg4s.png

bourgogne.PNG

Edited by poeticmotion
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 3

[O7]
Members
1,494 posts
11,345 battles

borgape is fun, stalin is solid performer, either steel ships can fit into anyones arsenal for ranked.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,190 posts
5,624 battles

Shhh dont spill the secret!

Bourgogne is so phenomenal. I can just hop on a wide flank and farm 15k dmg broadside smacks all battle long. I was running a IFHE secondary build, but just switched to a homemade 'consumable' build

2020-02-26_2.thumb.png.d82163f7c2e1e0217625d68a1f8c4766.png

*Worth noting: I traded back my DCP upgrade for the main battery mod after a GK destroyed my front turret and incapacitated the second.

It is super wierd to recrommend SE on a BB, but given the extra time I have on my heal, combined with the heal ticks of the game mode, SE does seem to be worth the 3 points to me. Also am loving that new consumabke upgrade that gives me a 5 minute speed boost. Similar results to what you are having, including a 260k dmg loss:Smile-angry:

@poeticmotion what build are you using? Standard BB sirvival build?

Edited by _BBaby

[KEGEL]
Members
281 posts
12,784 battles

The Alsace would have to have been the most pleasurable Tier IX grind in the game. The sigma & reload nerf just gutted the enjoyment tho.

Bourgogne should be a banned substance, so good.

[OO7]
Members
621 posts
7,687 battles

Have you met our lord and savior, thunderer?

(this is in a ranked battle btw)

shot-20.02.26_16.51.56-0004.jpg

Edited by mixmkz
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles

Bourgogne is actually tied with Kremlin as the highest performing ships in the entire game. That is even after accounting for the bias in the sample due to being gated behind steel. Both of them are also performing WELL ABOVE the top end of the balance range, which means they are blatantly overpowered (but WG refuses to actually address this)

[BE-ER]
Beta Testers
115 posts
15,741 battles

I played two games in my z52 and despite my best efforts, won both (I'm not much of a DD player). Next, I played my Republique and lost, but saved a star with a confederate and high caliber. Played my Henri IV and won (don't remember my ranking on the team, but I think it was in the top 3). Played my Yoshino and won at the top of our team (everyone else did a great job too). Good results for day one, and made it to rank 12. Which probably means I'll play like crap today, but such is life...

Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles

Eh Venezia makes any Bourgogne he’s biatch. 8k+ salvos each time.

i dont have any problems fighting one. Cant say much about my teammates sometimes though.

Edited by Legio_X_

[-UCS-]
Members
111 posts
10,808 battles

I saw 1 in Ranked last night... My Montana killed it in  4 salvoes. On the positive side, those Frenchies were good at getting into the lifeboats quick. 

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,238 battles
8 hours ago, _BBaby said:

Shhh dont spill the secret!

Bourgogne is so phenomenal. I can just hop on a wide flank and farm 15k dmg broadside smacks all battle long. I was running a IFHE secondary build, but just switched to a homemade 'consumable' build

2020-02-26_2.thumb.png.d82163f7c2e1e0217625d68a1f8c4766.png

*Worth noting: I traded back my DCP upgrade for the main battery mod after a GK destroyed my front turret and incapacitated the second.

It is super wierd to recrommend SE on a BB, but given the extra time I have on my heal, combined with the heal ticks of the game mode, SE does seem to be worth the 3 points to me. Also am loving that new consumabke upgrade that gives me a 5 minute speed boost. Similar results to what you are having, including a 260k dmg loss:Smile-angry:

@poeticmotion what build are you using? Standard BB sirvival build?

I am running a hybrid secondaries build. I use Jean-Jacques Honore and use PT, EM, AR, BFT, Superintendent, Manual Secondaries Control and AFT. I don't use IFHE on Bourgogne or Republique even though I did on Alsace because of opportunity cost; I can use those points elsewhere and while Alsace had a huge secondaries damage increase when using IFHE because her 100mm secondaries could actually pen stuff, the 127mm secondaries on Bourgogne and Repub can pen DDs and IFHE doesn't improve their pen against enough targets to make the 4-point cost worth it. Superintendent is a must as I almost always use all my consumables unless I die stupidly and early. I considered SE for the same reason you did (and, like you I never run SE on BBs usually) but the opportunity cost is too high when I'm running a secondary build. 

Upgrades: Special DCP upgrade for 40% longer DCP (thought about switching out for auxiliary armamemt mod...I don't lose main turrets too often but my secondaries die quick) but extended immunity to fire/flood saves my bacon too often.) Extended speed boost mod. Secondary battery mod 1 for 20% boost to range and reload. Steering gears mod 1. Concealment mod 1 (I thought hard about the new consumables mod but being able to go dark and heal really helps me because I tend to take a lot of hits.) And main battery reload mod. 

I've thought about switching to a more survivability-based build, but I can usually get out of trouble with her speed and I like to brawl when I can but I've gotten better about picking my spots. I've played with a few builds and this one is the best mix of increasing dmg while still adding some survivability. Dropping any of the secondary skills I have would make it where I'd need to drop all of them and go to a straight survival build as without the 11km secondaries or the manual seocndaries accuracy buff,  I wouldn't get enough dmg out of them to spec for them at all in most scenarios. This build may not work for everyone but it works for my playstyle. 

Members
6,900 posts
21,408 battles

Just saw one play like a DD, he raced the edge of the map and killed our CV....by doing so it allowed us to focus other ships but losing our CV as quickly as we did was odd.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,190 posts
5,624 battles
13 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

This build may not work for everyone but it works for my playstyle. 

That's why I love Bourgogne so much. So many different options for builds, between the secondaries, manuverability, consumables, survivability, there is just so much variety! Plus, shes got one cute camoflage on her (with the red/black rhino camoflage). Hands down one of the nicest camoflages in the game. 

4 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Just saw one play like a DD, he raced the edge of the map and killed our CV....by doing so it allowed us to focus other ships but losing our CV as quickly as we did was odd.

That's how I've been playing her. Go on the flank away from the buffs (even alone is fine) and just soak up those glorious broadsides. Going 38-45 knots for 5 minutes straight can get you a lot of places the enemy does not expect you to be:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,238 battles
3 hours ago, _BBaby said:

That's how I've been playing her. Go on the flank away from the buffs (even alone is fine) and just soak up those glorious broadsides. Going 38-45 knots for 5 minutes straight can get you a lot of places the enemy does not expect you to be:Smile_hiding:

3 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Pretty much my usual strategy, especially when there's another BB on my team. Break to the flank away from rest of team and race to one side, close enough to support but far enough that they have to choose whether to angle against the rest of the team or me. And Waxing, was that me? Because I killed a CV that way yesterday...but we won so I think it must have been someone else as it sounds like you won that game. 

I've often joked that my Bourgogne and Republique identify as gunboat DDs...but in terms of playstyle, I'm not really joking. :D

[WORX]
Members
12,050 posts
19,514 battles

Any tier 10 BB is OP for this season of ranked/arms race... But then again, I am amazed at how the easy ship class can be messed up by the people driving it...

One thing for sure, if you have a so so BB driver.... Its going to be known real fast...

[GRAVE]
Members
1,413 posts
19,910 battles
19 hours ago, poeticmotion said:

The maneuverability buffs enhance an already memeworthy top speed...there's something hilarious about doing 41 knots in a BB.

I recall on PTS that with all agility buffs, she touches 50knts with a cruiser level rudder shift and can reload main guns in about 18secs with all reload buffs. Hilarity tends to ensue