You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
wolfkind252

South Carolina

44 comments in this topic

[NEMO]
Members
222 posts
431 battles

My first and LAST battleship I DO NOT do any good in them, I watched every video tutorial I could find, and read everything I could find and I am just no good in them. I do good in Destroyers and Cruisers so far :(

Edited by wolfkind252

[LF]
Members
189 posts

Ok.

Popcorn please! I'll take a Cabernet with that as well. Thank you!

• Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[YORHA]
Members
4,660 posts
9,054 battles

SC is a hard ship to play.  It is really slow, has really bad dispersion and no AA.  You have to angle correctly and get up close and personal to really do damage.   The US BB line is challenging up to tier VIII, where it starts to get better.

If you want an easier line of BBs have a look at the Russians.  The low tiers are challenging, but once you hit tier 5 things get noticeably better.

Plus I just noticed you only have 33 battles.  Give the ship and yourself a chance.

Edited by JCC45

[NEMO]
Members
222 posts
431 battles
6 minutes ago, n5bar said:

Ok.

Popcorn please! I'll take a Cabernet with that as well. Thank you!

LOL want butter too? LOL

1 minute ago, JCC45 said:

SC is a hard ship to play.  It is really slow, has really bad dispersion and no AA.  You have to angle correctly and get up close and personal to really do damage.   The US BB line is challenging up to tier VIII, where it starts to get better.

If you want an easier line of BBs have a look at the Russians.  The low tiers are challenging, but once you hit tier 5 things get noticeably better.

Plus I just noticed you only have 33 battles.  Give the ship and yourself a chance.

I gotta pass

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,336 posts
18,127 battles
15 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

My first and LAST battleship I DO NOT do any good in them, I watched every video tutorial I could find, and read everything I could find and I am just no good in them. I do good in Destroyers and Cruisers so far :(

She got a buff 4 or so months ago making her the most accurate BB at tier 3.

Fully upgraded she is a beast.

Problem at tier 3 is :

St. Louis and OP dds at that tier.

Members
1,991 posts
6,231 battles

This Game has a very steep and long learning curve. after 1000 games you might just start to get the hang of it!!!:cap_cool:

[NEMO]
Members
64 posts
8,957 battles

The SC also seems to have pretty weak armor. When you get to Tier 4 the Kaiser is a good choice, especially captained up a bit. Personally, I think the St. Louis is the better ship in Tier 3.

Edited by ruggus99

Members
3,435 posts
8,592 battles
19 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Problem at tier 3 is :

St. Louis and OP dds at that tier.

Not to mention t4 CVs and t3 ‘aa’ (or more accurately lack thereof)

[ZOO]
Members
156 posts
6,508 battles

yup you need 1000 games to kind of know what your doing.  I would say 1000 more to get some what good.  Things you can do to get better quicker.  Watch twitch streams.  Play every ship class.  Play multiple nations.  Watch tutorials.  Play lots of coop and PVE.  Practice in the training room, shot locations.  Join a clan that will teach new players. Most importantly don't rush to tier 10.  Play hundreds of games in levels 1-6 with multiple nations and ship types.  If you rush to tier 10 the game economy will kill you. Your lack of experience will frustrate you and your teammates. So adjust your expectations and play at pace that does not burn you out. 

Edited by Rothgar_57

[RLGN]
Members
12,670 posts
22,476 battles

South Carolina is where I decided to start learning how to shoot at, hit, and kill things with torpedoes that wanted to sink me. It’s also where I learned how to drive to extend such fights to my advantage, giving me more chances to shoot.

As a side note; gave SC a secondary build, took it into Co-op, brawled like a boss, and had several games in a row with 100-150 secondary hits.

South Carolina is better than many grant her.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,208 posts
3,484 battles
1 hour ago, wolfkind252 said:

Buddy, you have 40 games total, 1 of which you've played in a BB:Smile_veryhappy:

You're not even out of the kiddie pool of protected matchmaking, you just flat out don't have the experience to be making any kind of judgements on how ships play.

Look it's true that some people like some ships more than others, but 1 game isn't anywhere near enough to get a feel for anything. Also, if you give up on an entire ship type after one game, you're WOWS experience is going to be an interesting one. Play some more games, try ships out for 20 games or so before you start drawing conclusions. Heck, you'll have to be a few hundred games in before you really get the hang of things. Have some patience, give things time. This looks like day 1 or 2 for you, you have to give ships a real try before making judgements.

Also, I seriously doubt you've watched and read all of the MASSIVE amount of material available on BB play, much less understood it all. I'm at 3K games mostly in BBs and I haven't done that. While research is good (you're already ahead of most) it takes more than a few videos and forum posts and 1 game in a SC to make a good BB player.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,215 posts
4,602 battles

I am just no good in them.

Bingo! 

Or at least, not yet.

South Carolina isn't a bad ship at all.  As @Estimated_Prophet says, properly played, she can be the local beast.  But you have to learn how.  How to shoot, when to shoot, more mysterious, how to position so that you command the map, and what to avoid getting nailed by (hint: never give a RU BB your side). 

The only way to get better is to play it, so bite the bullet and play your South CarolinaWyoming will be better, and you'll be a better player.

BTW, an interesting piece of advice that I didn't have when I was newbie: Until you hit 70 games, play as much Random as you can.  You won't be good, but the mode is protected and your earnings even from crappy Randoms will be better then your earnings from Co-op.  When you leave protected gaming (70 games, I believe) go back to Co-op for practice practice practice.

[GOBI]
Members
1,044 posts
2,893 battles

At t1 to t3 I would play cruisers or DDs. BBs are just so slow. I find BBs don't get interesting until t6. Don't jump to t6 though, wait until you have at least 1000 battles in. Try every countries line up to t4 first, it takes a long time to really understand the game mechanics and how to put them to best use for a particular ship type or line. I think I did over 300 battles at t1 before trying t2, don't be in a rush.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,310 posts
7,116 battles

OK, look, I've been at this since just slightly before the game left Open Beta stages. I can tell you from experience that nobody is good with a BB until they get at least a couple hundred games in them under their belt. It took me until I got to Kongo before I finally figured out what I was doing and got my instincts and timing down, and even then I had to keep learning and getting better from there, as once you get good at one tier, it does not entirely translate to the next tier. Also, each ship line has a different 'flavor' and of course every line has it's stinkers that make you question why you even bother playing, but I can assure you, the rewards can be worth it.

shot-19_07.01_18_49.10-0752.thumb.jpg.325145a332fd297e68cbf86669402adf.jpg

shot-18_08.26_14_37.38-0777.thumb.jpg.992673161bd603a35b108b69ee4ec739.jpg

shot-19_05.02_16_48.22-0096.thumb.jpg.79ab24410ea24bea686bfd48c4a3dab0.jpg

File that under encouragement.

And one final warning, if you're going to get fed up and give up immediately every time something doesn't go your way, then I recommend you leave this game right now, as it only gets tougher from here and you're going to have a lot of 'why do I even bother' moments.

Edited by CaptHarlock_222

[BOMBS]
Members
97 posts
9,725 battles

Not knowing anything about how you play, let me offer some free advice, based on 9k+ battles:

1. The battleships role is to absorb damage. #1. You are a damage sink. Yes, big guns are impressive and fun to pull the trigger on, but you're main job is to protect everyone else by sucking up the pain. It's not about damage output.
  2. With that in mind, keep your bow pointed at the enemy. Always. Yes, you're inner monkey will take over at times and bring those aft guns to bear, but really, it's not necessary to be good enough to get wins. In a lot of cases, you'll deflect/bounce more damage head-on than you'll do with your aft guns and then exposing the side of your ship. AP goes through side armor like a hot knife through butter. And there's nothing like bow-tanking a scrub that keeps getting citadelled by your one or two turret salvos because he/she turns sideways to "give you both barrels".
  3. This means, when you get too far out in front (yes, look at your mini-map often), you need to REVERSE. Do not try to turn about. You're already the big target being shot at - turning broadside just gets you sent to the bottom.
  4. At low tiers, battleships IRL were designed to approach one-another in "line-of-battle" formation and then slug it out. However, that's not how Warships works. You're slow, and just about everyone else can sail circles around you. Therefore...
  5. Ramming flags are handy. Not so you can ram, but so you can "defend" against another, faster BB that thinks he's going to take your slow-butt out of action. Always a nice surprise. :D
  6. Destroyers. If you suspect one is near, STOP, reverse, and point your bow in the direction you last saw the DD. Many times, you can "back out of the torpedo spread" without damage.
  7. Single-fire those slow-loading, slow-turning guns. Once about every 10 seconds. This spreads your inaccuracy out so that, if you miss with a shot, your next one can be corrected and do some damage. Missing with an entire volley of shells just wasted 5% of the your damage output for the battle.
  8. Finally, keep your guns facing to one side of the ship and turn the ship to bring your guns around (when not facing another BB). I see a lot of captains in the low tiers trying to bring guns around from side-to-side. This wastes a LOT of time when you could be firing at something.
  9. Oh yes, Priority Target commander skill helps you determine when its a good time to turn-about. I know a lot of captains think this is a wasted commander skill point, but on a BB I think it's vital to know when to fold 'em, know when to hold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run.
  10. Good hunting! (And, yes, give it a thousand battle or so before throwing in the towel. This game is GREAT because it takes a lot of practice. And remember, once you master the BB, you still have lots of other ships to learn about!)

[WOLFG]
Members
7,818 posts
5,936 battles
41 minutes ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

And one final warning, if you're going to get fed up and give up immediately every time something doesn't go your way, then I recommend you leave this game right now, as it only gets tougher from here and you're going to have a lot of 'why do I even bother' moments.

^

This.  There are so many things that get worse as you go.  Then with practice, things get better.

The South Carolina is the most accurate T3 BB, at a tier where BB accuracy isn't a thing.  Maybe we shouldn't discuss the Kawachi's accuracy at this time.

The Nassau isn't very accurate, but it has meme level secondary guns (they don't always hit things, but they put on a show).

Coming from cruisers and destroyers, battleship guns are going to seem worthless, until you erase a cruiser in one volley.  That feeling never gets old.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,215 posts
4,602 battles
24 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

maybe I'll try a Russian one

The same principles will apply  You might initially be impressed by the guns, but the other bits are worse than the alternatives.  And a decent opponent won't let you use your guns to your best advantage.  Again, there is nothing wrong with South Carolina at its tier. 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,215 posts
4,602 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Maybe we shouldn't discuss the Kawachi's accuracy at this time.

We can't.  Kawachi doesn't have any accuracy.  They don't call it the Japanese blunderbus (one 's') for nothing.

[YORHA]
Members
4,660 posts
9,054 battles
31 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

maybe I'll try a Russian one

I gave up on the US BB line 3 times, but kept coming back.  Where it changed for good was on a Two Brothers map match when I was rounding the South Eastern corner and ran into a Kuma.  Deleted him with 1 salvo.  The I rounded the North East corner and... whoops... another Kuma.  BOOM!  gone in one salvo.  Then headed into the North cap and finished off a Zucchini.

Never looked back.

[PVE]
Members
19,551 posts
11,896 battles

2 hours ago, JCC45 said:
2 hours ago, wolfkind252 said:

I gotta pass

2 hours ago, Raven114 said:

This Game has a very steep and long learning curve. after 1000 games you might just start to get the hang of it!!!:cap_cool:

This^^^

Skip BBs for now and play something else. Come back to BBs in a month or two and try again. 

BBs at low tier are notoriously inaccurate. The US standard BBs are all slow with 20-ish kts speeds. You really have to plan ahead with the US BBs.

I was the same way with DDs when I first started. Just could not jell. Same with SC. Played cruisers a lot and tried BBs again later. I had learned more about the game, so it was easier to pick up BBs. When I tried DDs again even later, I picked them up too. This game is deceptively complex, so don't get discouraged. And don't be surprised if you are still learning things after playing thousands of games.

GL&FS <O

LOL want butter too? LOL

:Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_honoring:

[Y0L0]
Members
285 posts
11,521 battles
3 hours ago, wolfkind252 said:

Your highest tier is showing tier 3. I’d hang in there. There’s a lot more to battleships than South Carolina.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
912 posts
10,518 battles

The battleship learning curve is the steepest one.

Id get past the S. Cal. and only really decide when hitting the Wyoming. That has some great guns, and some AA and utility.

Be patient with the BBs as they will be solid in due course.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,431 posts
14,417 battles
7 hours ago, n5bar said:

I'll take a Cabernet with that as well

Sorry old chap! I drank it all!

[DDMAF]
Members
2,431 posts
14,417 battles
7 hours ago, JCC45 said:

has really bad dispersion

SC hits everything you aim at. It's close to OP at T3.