You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Player_1632443379

My CV planes die fast - how can I change that?

33 comments in this topic

[SCRUM]
Members
53 posts
12,760 battles

I send out my CV planes and by the end of the match so many are dead my bill is astronomical per game - how can I change that? I understand that flying near 2 battleships is wrong and that the enemy CV has heavy AA - so there must be something wrong with my flying or lingering or something?

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
14,934 battles

Some ships have stronger AA, some less... pick the lonely targers. Its more about learn what to targer.

Also dont fly in flak busters.

• Cool 1

[TRU]
Members
606 posts
18,284 battles

Pick your targets carefully and avoid flak.  Find a lone wolf that has no overlapping coverage and attack.

Note, you do not always have to attack as spotting the enemy may be the most beneficial thing to do for a win (especially finding red DDs).

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,657 posts
18 minutes ago, Player_1632443379 said:

I send out my CV planes and by the end of the match so many are dead my bill is astronomical per game - how can I change that? I understand that flying near 2 battleships is wrong and that the enemy CV has heavy AA - so there must be something wrong with my flying or lingering or something?

I like Priority Target on a CV because it tells you how many ships are targeting your planes. If you see three or more you need to get out of there.

If you take the upgrades for the attack aircraft you can begin your run while outside AA range. Use positive boost to get close to your target and negative boost to slow down before you shoot at it. If you run out of boost then hit "R" and use the boost consumable to get out of there fast after your attack. Also, it may be best to unload one attack group before attacking early in the game when the ships still have most of their AA modules. By doing this you will conserve planes.

Torpedoes can be used much in the same way as rockets but with bombs you need to dodge the flak. At the first sign of flak turn hard to the right and then turn hard to the left after a few seconds. Keep this up until you are inside the flak bubble, then go straight in for the attack. There is a glitch exploit with bombers that might help you save planes but I'd not use it as it will undoubtedly be programmed out sometime in the future and it's not good to rely on a crutch.

Take full advantage of islands as AA can't shoot through them. If a ship is up against an island use bombers. You can begin an attack run on the safe side of an island, hit the ship, and then wheel back over the island to avoid the AA.  

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

0 posts

OP can you post a screenshot of your captain spec, and the module fit on your CV? It would be easier to help you./

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

Make sure you take every single captain skill that boosts plane survivability. It's 100% mandatory. Aside from that make peace with the fact you are going to lose planes, especially if you are bottom tier. Be sure to send extra planes back to the CV before you attack by dumping their loads into the water to minimize losses early game. Later as AA thins out that's when you can start making bigger plays. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,548 battles

Are you new to CV's? Maybe start at a lower tier to get the feel for driving planes instead of botes. Move up when you get more accustomed to it. 

[CVA16]
Members
5,392 posts
16,221 battles

Keep you planes near friendly ships. Avoid actually attacking with them.

Well, that's the advice CV players like to give DDs.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[SIMP]
Members
1,522 posts

Huh - you must be lying OP.

According to the forumites, CVs are invincible and their planes can't be shot down.

Edited by capncrunch21
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,049 posts
12,728 battles
2 hours ago, Player_1632443379 said:

Things you can do:

Intelligent selection of targets. (IOW, lone ships, ships with bad AA, ect...)

Swerving around the Flak.

Being mindful of patrol aircraft

Captain Skills:

Survivability Expert (more HP for ships and planes) Aircraft Armor (damage reduction)

Improved Engines and Improved Engine boost (more speed, therefor reducing exposure to AA)

Upgrades:

Attack Aircraft Mod 2, Bombers Mod 2, or Torpedo Bomber Mod 2 (even more HP to the selected plane type)

Air Groups Mod 2 (yet again, even more HP to all planes)

Signals:

India Delta (Improves Torpedo Bomber Heals)

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

Careful of the explosions. They hurt a lot.

Avoid the angry explosions like the dickens. They can one-shot at times.

Don't attack into balls of ships. Look for stragglers.

Don't attack CVs unless you must.

[SIDE]
Members
4,700 posts

I'm no good with new style CV play but I had a few moments under old CV playstyle. This is what I would do if I didn't suck at them now.

1) Go for the solo and isolated ships first. Also helps you spot for team.

2) Memorize the ships with strong AA and avoid them until end game.

3) If possible, prioritize hitting the HE spammers and DD for sake of the team. See also, Note #2.

4) Finish off heavily damaged ships before they can cause any more harm.

5) Definately coordinate with the other CV on your team

[WOLF7]
Members
6 posts
3,794 battles

Just keep them on the deck of your aircraft carrier. You may loose the carrier but, I don't think it will show you lost any planes when you get sunk.

• Cool 1

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,547 posts
13,910 battles
15 hours ago, Player_1632443379 said:

Some great suggestions here.

A few simple things first:

#1 though, check the targets you're going after.

• are you going after targets that are isolated and off on their own? (if not, do so)
  • are you going after cruisers (don't do this unless you have to, this isn't always the rule of thumb but a good base to work off of)
  • are you trying to do multiple strikes with one flight of aircraft? (sometimes this is not a good idea due to the amount of grouped up targets)

And after those three things, your capt build can make a big difference, those suggestions are above so I won't beat that drum :Smile_izmena:

Good question!

Also, just a reminder to some, keep this post on topic!

Mahalo,

-Hapa

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,460 posts
6,514 battles

Good ideas above  +   Target Red DDS first....Often alone, most have inadequate AA, plus your doing your team a solid by punishing it and keeping it spotted for them...   You can get some important work done for your team, low cost damage...and you keep your planes alive for later in the game when enemy ships are more scattered and their AA is more damaged. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
6,894 battles

Know your enemy, pick your targets. Basically avoid Allied Warships after Tier VI.

[WG]
Administrator
162 posts
484 battles

I feel your pain. I get chewed up by AA all the time. 

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
634 posts
13,903 battles
18 hours ago, Player_1632443379 said:

You are playing Co-Op in a CV.  The games are too short to allow a CV to accumulate the damage necessary to not lose money.  You, also, need to learn how to dodge flak, and choose attack angles to minimize plane losses.  Bots in Co-Op tend to bunch up so this is even more important than in Randoms.  Slingshot is your friend.  

[HATE]
Members
1,059 posts
15,985 battles
17 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Blast the red DD's to pieces with rocket attack planes

And cv players have no idea why people report them over and over. no clue

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[QNA]
Alpha Tester
30 posts
1,068 battles

When you are forced to go in on a target (or group of ships with heavy AA) - remember to:

1) pre-drop so you’re only going in with one flight to attack, and one flight/single plane as a sacrificial buffer to make sure you get the attack off

2) look for targets that are under heavy HE fire - they are likely missing a few turrets. Watch for the orange tracers. Especially with HE bombers, it can pay to loiter a few seconds outside of AA to both identify these targets, and wait for signs they’ve used their DCP & run out its immunity period. Particularly with RN bombers. While you can excel at bullying a piecemeal flank & tormenting solo ships, being able to pile on damage to ensure your team’s momentum is important. 

3) Really, really make sure you’re not coming out of an attack in to enemy fighters. There’s a good chance no matter how fast you mash F, they’re not getting home alive. Same with heavy AA - this is where the pre-drop is emphasized time and again. Go in with enough for that one quality run + a little buffer; no more. Double/triple/quad drops are for late game and lone targets if you’re lucky. 

4) Experimenting with this myself on RN carriers - consider extra carpet/dive bomber health over torpedo health. At tier 6+ you get the torp bomber heal, and both torps and rockets can launch from a little further away. DBs, especially RN DB’s - need to spend time directly over the target, and  in the case of RN, lose over 2/3rds their potential damage if you haven’t dropped along the length of the ship. 

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,217 battles
18 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I like Priority Target on a CV because it tells you how many ships are targeting your planes. If you see three or more you need to get out of there.

Worthless skill point use -- use better situational awareness.  The mini map is your friend

Members
25 posts
6,648 battles

My recommendations:

1) Plane health doesn't matter a whole lot. There are some marginal situations where having more plane health helps, and when you're starting off it can help a bit when you make mistakes, but overall it's in inefficient choice for modules and captain skills and scales poorly. If you push an attack through a flak burst or make an attack that transitions across multiple enemy ships, all of your planes are going to die no matter how much health they have. In heavy AA, fully buffed planes will buy you only a couple of seconds.

2) Because of #1, the factor that matters the most for plane survival is how much time your squadron spends in the AA bubble. Do everything you can to get your planes in and out as fast as possible. Hit F immediately after any attack into significant AA. Get speed buffs for your planes, save enough boost to make full speed attacks, and make bomb and rocket attacks from in front of the ship so that your closing speed is higher. Yes, this makes your attacks more difficult, but it saves your planes.

3) If you are attacking into heavy AA, only enter the AA bubble with enough planes to ensure that you get one full strength attack off. This is why you see CV players dumping bombs, rockets, and torps into empty water - they are reducing the squadron size to reduce losses. (Astute readers will also note that this tactic further reduces the effectiveness of plane health buffs.)

4) Use line of sight and islands to hide your planes so you can get as close as possible without taking AA damage. This can be difficult, and will make your attacks even more difficult as the reticle moves in weird ways as you pass over islands. Once you get used to it, though, you can do crazy things like make rocket attacks at 5km and only spend 1-2 seconds in the AA bubble.

5) One of the biggest mistakes new CV players make is trying to make a second pass in moderate AA. It's pretty much a perfect storm of badness. Your squadron isn't actually making an attack run, so you don't get the attack run damage reduction. You've likely expended your boost during the attack, so your planes are moving slowly. You're trying to turn around, which means your flight path is predictable and thus you're going to fly right into flak bursts .. which you probably can't avoid because your boost is down.  If you change your turn rate to avoid flak, you end up spending even more time in the AA bubble finishing the turn. And, at the end of it, you're probably making a sub-standard attack because your turn was either too tight or messed up, and you'll get very little damage even if some planes survived. You're also wasting time getting planes shot down when they could already be heading home and the next squadron flying towards a target.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,657 posts
1 hour ago, NoSoMo said:

Worthless skill point use -- use better situational awareness.  The mini map is your friend

It's difficult to estimate whether you are in AA range based on the minimap. It's easier to just see the ship number in the detected icon.