You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ruar

Why I don't like Carriers  

49 comments in this topic

Members
1,123 posts
2,117 battles

As a pilot-  I don't like carriers as a pilot because the only real skill needed is turning.  Yes there is the need to pick the right target and approach, but the same applies with ships.  Once an attack is determined then the only way to mitigate the defense is by turning to avoid flak.  And it's just not fun.  The attacks are mostly weak and take the entire battle to accumulate decent damage.  I've never enjoyed kiting in games and that's what flying planes feels like in WoWS... kiting.  Scouting the enemy is interesting but once everything has been spotted then the rest of the match is just trying to have enough patience to pick the right attacks and wait for the right openings.  

As a captain-  When I play my ships I don't like carriers because the only thing I can do to change how the pilot is attacking is to stay tight with a few other ships and hope they play how I want to play the match.  It's very frustrating to be near the end of the fight, have a chance of winning, and then die to enemy aircraft because I've lost most of my AA and health.  They come at me with most of a squadron and all I can do is try to time the O mash.  All of the joy and sense of accomplishment I've gained in the fight is gone the moment the planes carry out their attack.

I don't like how planes can keep me spotted but I usually play so that there is some kind of terrain nearby or I'm at far enough range I can dodge some shots.  I think it's rather silly that planes get to dominate the view of the battlefield with no counter. At least with DDs I can block their LoS or have them react to my movements.

I don't like that carriers are essentially immune to plane attacks causing them to almost always be the last ship alive for their team far in the back dragging out the match.  

Ultimately I don't like either playing carriers or fighting against them.  I wish there was a mode where planes were strong and I could blow up PVE ships with a squadron attacking all at once instead of three flights.  I want the power that planes had over ships in the war but I realize that can only happen against bot targets.  Which is fine with me because flying planes isn't pitting skill against skill so a victory against players is the same as a victory against bots.

I'd also like a game mode where there are no carriers and I can fight other ships using the same rules for all of the units in the battle.  Where I can use terrain, distance, and manuever to get an advantage over my opponent.  Where skill actually has value.

I've never understood the people who insist ship captains should be forced to fight against planes.  Why force an uneven match where one side has a clear advantage?  It's like scattering a few pro's across an intramural sports league.  Even if there is a pro on each team most of the players won't have much fun because the pros have the advantage.  It would make far more sense to have a league with no pros for the folks who just want to have fun.

If I could pass one thing on to the devs it would be to implore them to provide a ship only mode and a mode designed for powerful aircraft to attack bots.  I would use both modes and I think a lot of other players would too.  To keep random interesting I would increase the XP and credit payout by a significant amount.  Then people could choose what activity best suits their goals whether it's ship fighting, grinding through a line, or flying planes.  Provide an indicator for wait times so people can factor that into their decision for which que to drop into.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 4

[SIDE]
Members
4,690 posts

Allow me to fix some misspellings and other details for accuracy.

I don't like DD as a player  because the only real skill needed is turning.  Yes there is the need to pick the right target and approach, but the same applies with ships.  Once an attack is determined then the only way to mitigate the defense is by turning to avoid torps.  And it's just not fun.  The attacks are mostly weak and take the entire battle to accumulate decent damage.  I've never enjoyed hiding in games and that's what DD feels like in WoWS... Hiding.  Scouting the enemy is interesting but once everything has been spotted then the rest of the match is just trying to have enough patience to pick the right attacks and wait for the right openings.  

As a captain-  When I play my ships I don't like invisible DD because the only thing I can do to change how the enemy is attacking is to stay tight with a few other ships and hope they play how I want to play the match.  It's very frustrating to be near the end of the fight, have a chance of winning, and then die to enemy invisible DD because I've lost most of my repairs and health.  They come at me with torpedos and all I can do is try to time the spreads.  All of the joy and sense of accomplishment I've gained in the fight is gone the moment the invisible DD carry out their attack.

I don't like how invisible DD can keep me spotted but I usually play so that there is some kind of terrain nearby or I'm at far enough range I can dodge some shots.  I think it's rather silly that DD get to dominate the view of the battlefield with no counter OTHER THAN CV's. I think all ship types, not just DDs,  should be able to block their LoS or have them react to my movements with my magic smoke cloud.

I don't like that DD are essentially immune to attacks causing them to almost always be the last ship alive for their team dragging out the match unless they yolo noobicide a cap in first three minutes.

Ultimately I don't like either playing DD or fighting against them.  I wish there was a PVE mode where DD were the strongest and I could just go around blowing up ships like some ninja superhero with unlimited torpedo reloads they sink ships in a single hit . Which is fine with me because torpedoing ships isn't pitting skill against skill so a victory against players is the same as a victory against bots.

I'd also like a game mode where there is no smoke and holes cause flooding and I can fight other ships using the same rules for all of the units in the battle.  Where I can use the same ammo types, spotting range, and agility to get an advantage over my opponent.  Where skill actually has value not just wonky concealment values.

I've never understood the people who insist everyone should be forced to fight against everyone else.  Why force a randomly generated team to play another randomly generated team ?  It's like scattering a few pro's across an intramural sports league.  Even if there is a pro on each team most of the players won't have much fun because the pros have the advantage.  It would make far more sense to have a league with no pros for the folks who suck at this game and just want to have mindless fun. We could call it candy crush and make our ships look like a fluffy teddy bear and throw binkies at each other.

If I could pass one thing on to the devs it would be to implore them to provide yet another mode designed just for powerful DD to attack bots in addition to Operations and Coop but where nobody is mean to them.  I would use these modes and I think DD whiners and crybabies would too.  To keep random interesting I would increase the XP and credit payout by a significant amount just like with signals and camo perks... cuz failing to the top is already polluting top ranks with horrible DD players so let's just do whatever they want and break the game for them. Then people could choose what activity best suits their goals whether it's ship fighting, grinding through a line even faster without learning how to play it, or mindlessly spewing torps spreads for 20 minutes.  Provide an indicator, like the ships in que one at battle start screen, cuz this is a cry fest and I'm making stupid selfish impossible demands,  for wait times so people can factor that into their decision for which que to drop into.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 4
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 12

Members
1,123 posts
2,117 battles
22 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

FTFY

I don't like what you said about apples so I'm going to swap them out the with hamburgers.  Because hamburgers are easy to confuse with apples since they are both round.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,644 posts
32 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

I don't like DD as a player  because the only real skill needed is turning.  Yes there is the need to pick the right target and approach, but the same applies with ships.  Once an attack is determined then the only way to mitigate the defense is by turning to avoid torps.  And it's just not fun... 

:cap_like::Smile_veryhappy:

Good paraphrase. I think that many players don't like anything that makes the game more challenging for them. Myself, I see challenges as one of the most enjoyable parts of any endeavor. It reminds me of an old joke about how people react to a flat tire.

:fish_nerv: Oh my, whatever will I do! I feel totally helpless! Somebody please help me!

:Smile-angry: :etc_swear: That's just great! Now I'm going to be late for my meeting. Well, better call AAA.

:cap_like:Hot damn, I finally got a chance to try out my new repair kit and tire pump!

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,548 battles

Keep CV's. they are warships after all. But make the player drive the ship, not the planes. 

• Confused 1

[GOOF]
Members
669 posts
5,893 battles
1 hour ago, thebigblue said:

I don't like DD as a player  because the only real skill needed is turning.  Yes there is the need to pick the right target and approach, but the same applies with ships.  Once an attack is determined then the only way to mitigate the defense is by turning to avoid torps.  And it's just not fun.  The attacks are mostly weak and take the entire battle to accumulate decent damage.  I've never enjoyed hiding in games and that's what DD feels like in WoWS... Hiding.  Scouting the enemy is interesting but once everything has been spotted then the rest of the match is just trying to have enough patience to pick the right attacks and wait for the right openings.  

As a captain-  When I play my ships I don't like invisible DD because the only thing I can do to change how the enemy is attacking is to stay tight with a few other ships and hope they play how I want to play the match.  It's very frustrating to be near the end of the fight, have a chance of winning, and then die to enemy invisible DD because I've lost most of my repairs and health.  They come at me with torpedos and all I can do is try to time the spreads.  All of the joy and sense of accomplishment I've gained in the fight is gone the moment the invisible DD carry out their attack.

I don't like how invisible DD can keep me spotted but I usually play so that there is some kind of terrain nearby or I'm at far enough range I can dodge some shots.  I think it's rather silly that DD get to dominate the view of the battlefield with no counter OTHER THAN CV's. I think all ship types, not just DDs,  should be able to block their LoS or have them react to my movements with my magic smoke cloud.

I don't like that DD are essentially immune to attacks causing them to almost always be the last ship alive for their team dragging out the match unless they yolo noobicide a cap in first three minutes.

Ultimately I don't like either playing DD or fighting against them.  I wish there was a PVE mode where DD were the strongest and I could just go around blowing up ships like some ninja superhero with unlimited torpedo reloads they sink ships in a single hit . Which is fine with me because torpedoing ships isn't pitting skill against skill so a victory against players is the same as a victory against bots.

I'd also like a game mode where there is no smoke and holes cause flooding and I can fight other ships using the same rules for all of the units in the battle.  Where I can use the same ammo types, spotting range, and agility to get an advantage over my opponent.  Where skill actually has value not just wonky concealment values.

I've never understood the people who insist everyone should be forced to fight against everyone else.  Why force a randomly generated team to play another randomly generated team ?  It's like scattering a few pro's across an intramural sports league.  Even if there is a pro on each team most of the players won't have much fun because the pros have the advantage.  It would make far more sense to have a league with no pros for the folks who suck at this game and just want to have mindless fun. We could call it candy crush and make our ships look like a fluffy teddy bear and throw binkies at each other.

If I could pass one thing on to the devs it would be to implore them to provide yet another mode designed just for powerful DD to attack bots in addition to Operations and Coop but where nobody is mean to them.  I would use these modes and I think DD whiners and crybabies would too.  To keep random interesting I would increase the XP and credit payout by a significant amount just like with signals and camo perks... cuz failing to the top is already polluting top ranks with horrible DD players so let's just do whatever they want and break the game for them. Then people could choose what activity best suits their goals whether it's ship fighting, grinding through a line even faster without learning how to play it, or mindlessly spewing torps spreads for 20 minutes.  Provide an indicator, like the ships in que one at battle start screen, cuz this is a cry fest and I'm making stupid selfish impossible demands,  for wait times so people can factor that into their decision for which que to drop into.

Lol Italian cruisers are calling they want to know if they can eat their dds again

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,321 battles
1 hour ago, ruar said:

Why force an uneven match where one side has a clear advantage?

Both sides get a CV.

You must eat a lot of cheese with that extraordinary whine fest above.

• Funny 2

Members
1,123 posts
2,117 battles
1 minute ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Both sides get a CV.

You must eat a lot of cheese with that extraordinary whine fest above.

The uneven match is between CVs and ships, not the two separate teams.  Nice personal attack though, 1/10.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,321 battles
2 minutes ago, ruar said:

The uneven match is between CVs and ships,

all ships can kill a CV, the CV is not imune to damage.

People complain about the CV yet most have never played them, to see what it is like for them, and I mean at t10.

Ships are quite capable to killing the CV, and trust me there was nothing personal about what I said, because you have to care first, to make it personal.

Members
1,123 posts
2,117 battles
Just now, CriMiNaL__ said:

People complain about the CV yet most have never played them, to see what it is like for them, and I mean at t10.

Ships are quite capable to killing the CV, and trust me there was nothing personal about what I said, because you have to care first, to make it personal.

So you ignore what is said, prop up your strawman, take a few swings, toss out an insult, and then say you don't actually care.  I don't understand people like you.  There's an opportunity to engage in constructive discussion and instead you choose to use multiple logical fallacies.

My suggestions don't impact you at all.  They leave everything as it currently is if you choose.  Yet that isn't good enough.  Instead you insist that everyone adheres to your view of how things should be done.  Is it any wonder there are so few people who visit these forums and why the game population is declining when this is what people who are interested in the game get hit with when they voice a dissenting opinion.

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,321 battles
2 minutes ago, ruar said:

So you ignore what is said, prop up your strawman, take a few swings, toss out an insult, and then say you don't actually care.  I don't understand people like you.  There's an opportunity to engage in constructive discussion and instead you choose to use multiple logical fallacies.

My suggestions don't impact you at all.  They leave everything as it currently is if you choose.  Yet that isn't good enough.  Instead you insist that everyone adheres to your view of how things should be done.  Is it any wonder there are so few people who visit these forums and why the game population is declining when this is what people who are interested in the game get hit with when they voice a dissenting opinion.

Yep

Discussion about the CV is mainly about people complaining about them, nothing will change with them.

[TIGRB]
Members
856 posts
16,518 battles
1 hour ago, thebigblue said:

293e10ea0994a1e1e1d56400232b46fe.jpg

[SIDE]
Members
4,690 posts
1 hour ago, ruar said:

Not really a quote at all...

Except this is about ships not produce and everything I said was pertenant. Silly fruit...

Edited by thebigblue

[SIDE]
Members
4,690 posts
56 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

:cap_like::Smile_veryhappy:

Good paraphrase. I think that many players don't like anything that makes the game more challenging for them. Myself, I see challenges as one of the most enjoyable parts of any endeavor. It reminds me of an old joke about how people react to a flat tire.

:fish_nerv: Oh my, whatever will I do! I feel totally helpless! Somebody please help me!

:Smile-angry: :etc_swear: That's just great! Now I'm going to be late for my meeting. Well, better call AAA.

:cap_like:Hot damn, I finally got a chance to try out my new repair kit and tire pump!

Some just want to slap fight each other, using anime captains and colorful camo, instead of play a period WAR game where carriers were infact not only present but powerful.

Members
1,123 posts
2,117 battles
8 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Except this is about ships not produce and everything I said was pertenant. Silly fruit...

It wasn't, but at least you feel like you contributed.  Congratulations.

[SIDE]
Members
4,690 posts
35 minutes ago, grorg said:

Lol Italian cruisers are calling they want to know if they can eat their dds again

ALL ships are on the menu.

[SIDE]
Members
4,690 posts
3 minutes ago, ruar said:

It wasn't, but at least you feel like you contributed.  Congratulations.

I do. Sorry you didnt. Keep trying. Oh, and Thanks man!

Edited by thebigblue
It's a slap fight just like he wants in the game. Abandon ship!

Members
1,123 posts
2,117 battles
Just now, thebigblue said:

I'm glad we agree one of us contributed. Thanks man!

Here for you.

Members
727 posts
9,871 battles
40 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

try killing a hakuryu driving away from you in a brindisi or a graf zeppelin in a friesland

[MKF]
Members
583 posts
20,416 battles
31 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Some just want to slap fight each other, using anime captains and colorful camo, instead of play a period WAR game where carriers were infact not only present but powerful.

You mean when they made every other ship obsolete?

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,321 battles
Just now, WernerHerzdog said:

try killing a hakuryu driving away from you in a brindisi or a graf zeppelin in a friesland

Whats so hard about killing a graff with a friesland, if people are finding it hard in a friesland, maybe they would have a hard time in any ship.

• Cool 2

[SIDE]
Members
4,690 posts
2 minutes ago, Dath_1 said:

You mean when they made every other ship obsolete?

Every other ship. Every single other ship. Hyperbole is OP.

• Funny 1

Members
727 posts
9,871 battles
Just now, CriMiNaL__ said:

Whats so hard about killing a graff with a friesland, if people are finding it hard in a friesland, maybe they would have a hard time in any ship.

the entire hull of the graf zeppelin is 21 mm or more except for a tiny superstructure, and the friesland has 19 mm HE penetration with no torpedoes and no improved AP penetration angles (so the graf zeppelin can angle in a way that ricochets almost all AP).

[WOLFG]
Members
29,043 posts
8,295 battles
Just now, WernerHerzdog said:

the entire hull of the graf zeppelin is 21 mm or more except for a tiny superstructure, and the friesland has 19 mm HE penetration with no torpedoes and no improved AP penetration angles (so the graf zeppelin can angle in a way that ricochets almost all AP).

What about IFHE, right now? (I dunno what effect, if any, the upcoming change would have here)

[MKF]
Members
583 posts
20,416 battles
15 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Every other ship. Every single other ship. Hyperbole is OP.

Good point, I forgot that they were relegated to following said carriers around to protect them from other carriers. My bad.