You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cunobelin

Friesland, or wait for next Freemium?

25 comments in this topic

[U_S_W]
Members
6 posts
8,995 battles

I just went over 1M free xp, and I have Alaska and Azuma (and Mo).  Should I get the Friesland?  Will it be a bad-[edited]vs subs which are coming... Right?

Maybe I should wait for German battlecruiser?  I love my Roon and my Graf Spee (not to mention all the BBs t8+).

Thoughts?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,086 posts
18,898 battles

There's no word on how effective Friesland will be against subs. Historically she was an ASW destroyer, but there's no telling how WG will honor that, if at all.

Smaland is up and coming which is basically Friesland a tier higher and with torpedoes and radar IIRC, but no smoke. Up to you whether that sounds interesting or not.

As for my personal, incredibly biased opinion~

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,584 posts
2,423 battles

I'm just over 800k fxp, and intend to get Friesland as soon as I hit 1 million.  Hopefully she will still be available.

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,160 battles

Friesland is one of my favorite ships, awesome AA, just shreds planes. I actively go towards them and hunt them. Also a great DD killer, and can burn down BBs. Very vulnerable to radar cruisers though, its one weak spot. Also shells are extremely floaty, takes some getting used to. Often have to walk them in. Not a fast dd, so you have to set up with a good escape route.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,170 battles

Friesland is fun. Easily a favorite DD of mine, as I like ships with radically different playstyles.

Do you want your average DD, with torps and poor AA? Might be better to look elsewhere. Do you want Friesland? Get Friesland.

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,297 battles

Save your free XP for other things and just buy it, well worth it.

Members
4,332 posts
11,149 battles

Even as a non DD player, Friesland is a lot of fun. Yes, it doesn’t have torps so it will struggle to bring down battleships and other larger ships quickly, but it melts other DDs (and planes pretty well too for a DD) and can chew through cruisers decently fast. I’d definitely recommend getting it if you want a dakkabote that will take more effort to level up a captain for. 

The next two confirmed free xp ships are Smaland (Friesland like DD a tier higher with fast but weak torps and radar but no smoke) and Hayate (more gunboat focused Shima). Right now there’s a placeholder value on PTS for 2 million each, but there’s some unofficial confirmations that the final price won’t be 2 million. Nothing’s official so it could be more or less, or it might even stay at 2 million. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,086 posts
18,898 battles

Don't underestimate her AP either

Oy6wwuH.jpg

[SIDE]
Members
4,653 posts

Friesland is easily one of my fav destroyers and top 10 fav ships in game. 1 million fxp is a steep price but I think it's totally worth it.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,200 posts
9,333 battles

Friesland games can be hilarious

[R-F]
Members
134 posts
8,972 battles
3 hours ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Save your free XP for other things and just buy it, well worth it.

Not everyone is willing to spend $77 on a single ship though.

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,297 battles
1 minute ago, Jagdpanzer131 said:

Not everyone is willing to spend $77 on a single ship though.

No not everyone, but some will, if you look at what 1 million fxp is worth in your time.

• Cool 1

[GUNNS]
Members
63 posts
6,121 battles

The fries is fun for sure..  I got it in a crate. I Wouldn't spend fxp on it though.  Id just buy it if a could spare the cash and  save the free xp for the smaland. That one looks like a enemy  dds worst nightmare.

[FLOTR]
Members
180 posts

The degree to which you can upset the opponent with the Fries is hilarious. That said, I would hold on to the 1 mil FXP. When you figure what you spend $$ on for this that and the other in this game, 77$ for one ship isnt that bad, especially if you have 19pt cpt you can put in her to immediately start turning some serious elite commander exp for you. 

[TRU]
Members
596 posts
18,046 battles
14 hours ago, Frigate007 said:

Friesland is one of my favorite ships, awesome AA, just shreds planes. I actively go towards them and hunt them. Also a great DD killer, and can burn down BBs. Very vulnerable to radar cruisers though, its one weak spot. Also shells are extremely floaty, takes some getting used to. Often have to walk them in. Not a fast dd, so you have to set up with a good escape route.

Agreed.  I would get it if I were you OP.  

The difference in play style is refreshing and at first I felt weird without torpedoes.  This means that enemy cruisers and BBs have no worries about pushing into your position late in the game.  

As said above, you really have to lead your targets in medium to longer ranges.  

Most other DDs outspot you so I have found that in the early stages of the game you must play even more carefully than normal. Survive the initial stages and you can become a potent screener and DD killer.

And yes, it shreds planes when I actually do face a carrier. I swear MM gives me a carrier to deal with when I am in my French DD but not the Friesland lol.

GL

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,735 battles

If Smaland is anything like or better then Östergötland then wait and get that.. Played against an Oster and that ship was pretty darn tough, torp speed is possible to get to 91 knots and range i think he said 10k.. but wiki says 15..   so unreal  - seemed like it had decent speed, good concealment and smoke.  Torp damage is really low 10 k ish  but geez at 91 knots dodging get's a mite bit more difficult.  I can only imagine what the Smaland will be like.. brtual might be a good word. 

I have the Friesland and have yet to figure it out, granted i've not played a lot of games in it yet but it is pretty fun to play.

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
723 posts
4,640 battles

I love the Friesland. It's AA is great, but don't expect it to make you invulnerable against planes if you just leave it on. It has great hydro range too, I recommend the coal upgrade that extends the duration. 

Just be careful of battleships and cruisers that rush your smoke, you have no stopping power and your detection is fairly large for a DD if you try to escape. 

[NG-NL]
Members
256 posts
9,141 battles
16 hours ago, Cunobelin said:

Should I get the Friesland?  I love my Roon and my Graf Spee (not to mention all the BBs t8+).

I love the Friesland. Frigate described strengths and weaknesses very well. With 6.8km detection, it can play in front, scout targets, and surprise enemy DDs. If someone is spotting for you and you've prepared for radar, you can light a smoky cigar, relax into a lounge chair, and make the world burn. You're functionally immune to carrier attack. The shells do get floaty at long range, which annoys me at times, but then a poor target enemy battleship will sail behind island cover and those beautiful floaty shells will drop right behind the island too.

This may come at an unexpected cost. Your battleship commanders will not like you so much if they hear you were tomcatting around in a Friesland. Tirpitz might spend a lot more time in port.

P.S. I sometimes play in a division with 2 Smolensks. My stealth and their torpedoes. We take turns using smoke and spotting. There's a clear circle around us with no red ships inside, like those photos of penicillin in a petri dish. We lose karma just for existing. It's awesome.

P.P.S. When you play Friesland, listen to the song "Mein Vader Vos Ein Dutchman". Extra credit if you sing along.

• Cool 1

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles

Friesland is a beauty to look at but is completely underpowered for its tier.

It trades effectiveness in Tier 1 attributes (Ship to Ship combat) for effectiveness in a lesser attribute (AA). Just about every Tier 8 DD is more competitively viable.

I would suggest waiting unless you want to get it just for the looks.

Edited by Varknyn12

[ARGSY]
Members
19,960 posts
14,227 battles
16 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Right now there’s a placeholder value on PTS for 2 million each, but there’s some unofficial confirmations that the final price won’t be 2 million.

The sooner this is resolved, one way or another, the better. Do you know what the source of this unofficial confirmation is?

I was FIVE MINUTES away from FXP-ing Friesland. I was literally firing up the PC to log into the game and get her. While waiting for that, I happened to check Facebook on my phone - and the Dev Blog had announced Hayate for FXP.

As I play a lot of co-op, I was uncertain about a torpedo-less destroyer. I put the Friesland permanently on hold. She's a niche ship, and on reflection I'm glad I didn't buy her; I don't think she'd have suited my style.

Unless she is withdrawn from the game before subs arrive and OP has to make a decision, it's better to wait until then and see if her ASW potential is realised in-game. 

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,297 battles

Have you made your mind up yet?

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,160 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The sooner this is resolved, one way or another, the better. Do you know what the source of this unofficial confirmation is?

I was FIVE MINUTES away from FXP-ing Friesland. I was literally firing up the PC to log into the game and get her. While waiting for that, I happened to check Facebook on my phone - and the Dev Blog had announced Hayate for FXP.

As I play a lot of co-op, I was uncertain about a torpedo-less destroyer. I put the Friesland permanently on hold. She's a niche ship, and on reflection I'm glad I didn't buy her; I don't think she'd have suited my style.

Unless she is withdrawn from the game before subs arrive and OP has to make a decision, it's better to wait until then and see if her ASW potential is realised in-game. 

I play Friesland a lot in co op, good credit earner. Even in relatively short battles have done over 150k damage.

Members
4,332 posts
11,149 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There was a screenshot from the help me discord server a few days ago of someone that seemed to be a WG employee stating that the 2 million is a placeholder value. The CCs and STs on the server said it wasn’t someone in the CC discord but that didn’t mean it wasn’t necessarily another WG employee. Hence why I said unofficial since it wasn’t clear whether or not the source is actually WG and there’s no official statement on any WoWS dev blog site. 

[WOLFC]
Members
1,884 posts
9,902 battles

To the OP

Don't buy until you see what is coming in the next FxP ships.

BUT...the Friesland is a blast.