Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
murder_0ne

REALLY excited to play ranked this season! Until I tried it.

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

343
[LZ1]
Members
259 posts
5,735 battles

This is a pretty typical result for me in ranked. As a DD I tend to be *really* limited by my team as pretty much nobody pushes up, tons of radar (2x Desmoines can keep radar up most of the time) and the CVs are just *miserable* to play against. They don't do anything except camp the DDs until they're dead. I try my best but as a DD I just can't seem to have enough impact on the team overall to carry all the other timid and gutless players piled up behind an island somewhere. I'm finding Tier 10 meta to be pretty miserable in general but the small team sizes of Ranked combined with the guaranteed inclusion of a CV has just ruined the game play. At this point the CV has such an oversized effect on the outcome that if your CV player is bad, you lose.

Suggestions? I really don't want to have to grind and get a Desmoine just to participate in Ranked.

shot-20.02.26_15.29.30-0760.jpg

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,590
Members
6,621 posts
20,650 battles

Just my .02, I won 2 in the Banana Bracket (11-infinity and beyond...) and then played some in the 6-10 and lost 5 straight, working my way back... Those timid and gutless players usually turn out to be very good and get the best scores. As for DD play, quality DD is in more need now than ever, it just may not be the style of play you like.

 

I will agree with you on the tier ten meta. It does feels very campy or at least campier than I thought it would be while playing "arms race". Every sits back and watches all the Squirrel's (dd's) dodge traffic while picking up all the acorns that are dropped.  Get those buffs !

See the source image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
362
[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,383 battles

I would still try and get to rank 10 just to get the 10% discount flag. But that just me.

I don't care for this mode but WG should try different things to see how that pan out IMO.  I would love for then to make ranked tier 7 or 8 and do not allow premiums.

Or make a ranked season with everyone get a group of rental ships to pick from, which preset Captains already installed.

 

Edited by vikingno2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
829
[WOLFC]
Members
1,886 posts
9,954 battles

Its the first day - the highly motivated unicums will rank out by the end of today, early tomorrow.  The meta will change from 2 Des Moines driven by people who know what they are doing to 1,  who is likely able to be baited into showing themselves while burning a radar.

The meta in ranked changes drastically from the first hours over the next few days.   Give it time.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,375
[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,853 battles

As a DD player that considers myself good but not great, ranked is very hard.  In the early rounds with a lot of bad players it's not too hard to do some damage and contribute to victory, but once you get to the higher ranks where everyone's a bit better it's really hard to influence the battle well enough to get the win.  I almost always see my win rate drop to 50% at rank 5+.  And forget saving your star, very hard to do in a destroyer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
296
[-TKS-]
Members
827 posts
14,562 battles
1 minute ago, Anonymous50 said:

Its the first day - the highly motivated unicums will rank out by the end of today, early tomorrow.  The meta will change from 2 Des Moines driven by people who know what they are doing to 1,  who is likely able to be baited into showing themselves while burning a radar.

The meta in ranked changes drastically from the first hours over the next few days.   Give it time.

in someones wet dream maybe..... but itll take a least week just to get enough players to play the rank 5 to 1 brackets 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,708
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,169 battles
2 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

Its the first day - the highly motivated unicums will rank out by the end of today, early tomorrow.  The meta will change from 2 Des Moines driven by people who know what they are doing to 1,  who is likely able to be baited into showing themselves while burning a radar.

The meta in ranked changes drastically from the first hours over the next few days.   Give it time.

That sounds like a plan +1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
343
[LZ1]
Members
259 posts
5,735 battles

Thanks for the input guys. Here's another example of a Ranked game I just played. No matter the lineup whatever team I'm on is just extremely terrible. Frankly, I'm doing what I can to help my team, not my stats as I want to rank out and get steel etc. These guys are so bad that no matter how much I try they always ruin the game at the last minute. Unbelievably horrible.

 

shot-20.02.26_16.10.28-0117.jpg

shot-20.02.26_16.10.35-0618.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
829
[WOLFC]
Members
1,886 posts
9,954 battles
5 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

in someones wet dream maybe..... but itll take a least week just to get enough players to play the rank 5 to 1 brackets 

Well apart from the fact we see this every time ranked happens - the majority of users  won't see rank 5 at all.  

And the majority of users are not as good as the winners who play on Day 1.  Heck, I'd argue the lower ranks are already  easier then they were in the first hour.

A lot of people have the goal of 10 and then everything else is gravy.


And...just wait until Saturday when the weekend warriors who have 1 or 2 Tier X's only come out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,715
[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

Welcome to Tier 10 ranked.  The other team is going to do whatever they can to ruin your day.  You don't have many battles in Tier 10, so I can  imagine its going to be rough for you.  You are battling people with hundreds, if not thousands of hours of experience, in a ship that you have less than 2 hours played in (guessing).  There is more to winning than kills/damage.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,209
[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
14,921 battles

Play with bbs, you got armor, aa, guns, range, pretty much everthing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
394
[RCNW3]
Members
1,921 posts
19,094 battles

I prefer DDs, but during tier 10 ranked, I take in cruisers or battleships.  Just played one match early today, took out my Zao, there were two DMs and a Moskva on the reds, so way too much radar for our DD (who was forced to hang with the main pack, so was not very successful.  The Reds had a Shima that was taken out first due to radar.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,708
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,169 battles
40 minutes ago, murder_0ne said:

Thanks for the input guys. Here's another example of a Ranked game I just played. No matter the lineup whatever team I'm on is just extremely terrible. Frankly, I'm doing what I can to help my team, not my stats as I want to rank out and get steel etc. These guys are so bad that no matter how much I try they always ruin the game at the last minute. Unbelievably horrible.

 

shot-20.02.26_16.10.28-0117.jpg

shot-20.02.26_16.10.35-0618.jpg

You lost but that's not really a total potato team at least not damage wise . I've seen much worse including myself I always get nervous when other people depend on me . Funny a few words of encouragement at the beginning of the match can calm down an average player and help him play better in the ranked scenario . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,229
[SYN]
Members
3,685 posts
22,460 battles
51 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

So you're saying the first few ranks get easier as time goes on?

 

In the first few days you will run up against some very good players who know how to get the best out of their ships, as the event progresses they will move on to higher ranks leaving less skilled players in the pool.   That can be both a blessing and a curse, a blessing because you are not punished as severely for making a mistake and a curse because those weaker players will be on your team also.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,646
[SIDE]
Members
4,691 posts
2 hours ago, murder_0ne said:

This is a pretty typical result for me in ranked. As a DD I tend to be *really* limited by my team as pretty much nobody pushes up, tons of radar (2x Desmoines can keep radar up most of the time) and the CVs are just *miserable* to play against. They don't do anything except camp the DDs until they're dead. I try my best but as a DD I just can't seem to have enough impact on the team overall to carry all the other timid and gutless players piled up behind an island somewhere. I'm finding Tier 10 meta to be pretty miserable in general but the small team sizes of Ranked combined with the guaranteed inclusion of a CV has just ruined the game play. At this point the CV has such an oversized effect on the outcome that if your CV player is bad, you lose.

Suggestions? I really don't want to have to grind and get a Desmoine just to participate in Ranked.

shot-20.02.26_15.29.30-0760.jpg

Troll post. Stir the pot. Swat the nest.

I hope this trend continues because I want a 3000 post CV gripe dumpster thread where all these copy cat posts go. It will clean up the forum and allow other more important and interesting topics to remain front page. 

DD are highest priority target for every other ship. Carriers ARE SUPPOSED TO seek DD out and deter them from spotting or striking the team with impunity. Your ninja boat isn't invulnerable. You can't yolo flank all the time and sometimes you have to stay closer for AA support. SUCK IT UP. You'd think with several thousand games you'd know that by now. 

Edited by thebigblue
Android spell check sucks too
  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,654
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts

First one tonight, got a win, so rank 17... and one star in 17... so maybe I only need 1 more win? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,099 posts
6,672 battles

I haven't had an auspicious start and have lost every battle so far. I've had pretty average play, but roughly half of them have me suddenly looking over and realizing that we had been winning until the other flank all decided to die, and now YOU ARE THE LAST HOPE. C'est la guerre. I'm a 51% player anyway, so typically if I hit a losing streak in Ranked, I take a break and play something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×