You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WorldConqueror

On CBT and Marketing

17 comments in this topic

Members
31 posts

I'm starting to question whether you've gotten it right with your current strategy WG. The lifting of the NDA and offering the possibility of getting into the CBT suggests you're trying to build hype and good word of mouth. And admittedly, it works at first. When I heard sign ups were opened recently I went and watched Jingles videos and got really excited, signed up and told some friends that it looks awesome and they should sign up so we can play together. But then you quickly realise you need to nab a code from somewhere, and that's where it all falls down. Most of the codes have gone to twitch streamers, so you go and watch some streams. But thousands of people are already there doing the same thing (and that venue incidentally just got hacked which doesn't make me any more inclined to use it again). You find some codes on twitter, but they're all already used, because again thousands of people are doing the same thing. But the thing is, the fact that there is thousands of people competing for these codes suggests you don't need more hype, people are already keen for some good naval combat. If it was announced that they were taking limited sign ups for the CBT and then a week later announced that anyone who hadn't gotten in wouldn't be allowed in until open beta, it would be disappointing but understood and accepted that there were limited spots. But the current strategy just breeds frustration. All these people are engaged in a Skinner box set up, but a beta code isn't something that can be doled out in small amounts occasionally to each subject to keep them interested, it's an all or nothing situation for each individual. And for the majority that get nothing they become frustrated and disillusioned by jumping through hopes for no reward, and then the word of mouth becomes, 'yeah it looks awesome, but you can't get a bloody code so don't bother'. And that frustration gets associated with the game even before they get to play it.

• Cool 5

[SXXKT]
Beta Testers
12 posts
6,128 battles

Yep. That and the acceptance emails that were sent but were not followed up by beta code emails. Bad marketing. Period.

• Cool 1

Members
92 posts

This isn't the first post of this nature on here and I feel your frustration, I myself am looking for a code and resigned myself to the fact I probably won't get one unless I get really lucky somewhere. The fact is WG is a multi-million dollar conglomerate. They have an audience, Their games sell and people pay to play WoT, WoWP and eventually WoWs. It doesn't matter to them if you play or if I play because the fact is someone will play and pay them to do it. The gaming world has been looking for a good naval combat simulator for a long time, now that it's here ( sort of ) the gaming world is going nuts. It's not just a WoT or a WoWP audience they are grabbing here. This opens them up to a whole new player base. Their public relations machine is grinding out the hype in full force and the kicker is, it's not costing them anything to advertise this way. The gaming community does it for them. We can rant all we want, WG does what it does just like every major corporation. And as long as they can generate this kind of hype over a game that's technically not even out yet, they will always have an audience. I wish you luck with getting a code looks like were all going to need it.. 

• Cool 1

Members
92 posts

Yep. That and the acceptance emails that were sent but were not followed up by beta code emails. Bad marketing. Period.

WE don't know how thoroughly they were followed up on, the only thing we do know is we haven't heard anything. It would have been nice to get some sort of follow up one way or another but it is what it is.. All we can do is wait and keep our eyes open for the next round of beta testing.. It's already happened on the EU server.

[SXXKT]
Beta Testers
12 posts
6,128 battles

I got an acceptance to Beta. I got an email telling me a code was coming. That was two weeks ago. As I said, bad marketing. But, Orwell would be proud...Everyone is accepted, but only a few of you get to play. Well done.

Beta Testers
1,347 posts
2 battles

Heck, I'm in the beta and I'm frustrated with it. This community may not be toxic as a whole, but its toxic elements are ASTOUNDINGLY bad. I had a carrier player taunt me today after killing me, and then begin calling me racial slurs. He's pretty well known for this, apparently, but he's not the only person I've seen acting that way. It really kills the desire to play.

• Cool 1

[ARMCO]
[ARMCO]
Beta Testers
41 posts
2,444 battles

I have encountered some of the same type of toxic players, both ingame and here on the forums.  It is an unfortunate facet of human existence that there will always be a certain percentage of asshats.

Edited by WolfeCanada

[O7]
Alpha Tester
1,146 posts
17,587 battles

I have ran into some toxicity in the game but i avoid it completely and focus on how I can improve with the ship i am using.  This is not a game one person can carry and win. We as a community have to learn to play together and create an atmosphere that will allow people to learn.

Beta Testers
152 posts
537 battles

I can only speak personally, but after a week of sitting in twitch trying to win a Beta Key after already having applied.  I am starting to get resentful of WG and the way they are handling Closed Beta right at the start of Closed Beta.

Checking email daily is something I already do so waiting for your acceptance email of my application is normal.  But sucking down my time of playing a fun game by sitting in a stream watching others have fun instead, while I try to win a Beta Key to join them in fun. Is not fun for me.  Also hearing about those same streamers I was watching get more Beta Keys today while I know my application has been sitting unanswered to since the 14th has also left me with more resentment towards WG.  Has anyone received an email to Closed Beta since the 15th of March?

In other words I agree with the poster of this thread based off my current experience.

Edited by Reaper087
  • Cool 1

[TI]
Beta Testers
32 posts
2,364 battles

It really kills the desire to play.

Yeah - I mean there's always that element of bad apples in the bunch, but from what I've seen in WoTs there's lots of it to go around. That does concern me a bit, not so much the written taunting (you can just ignore that), but people doing things things that actually affect your game. Like intentionally damaging you, ramming you, etc.

Beta Testers
782 posts
388 battles

Posts about marketing strategies from those who probably haven't had a class in Business management are useful.  :P   It is even more useful when it comes from bitter players who disagree with the system because thus far it hasn't benefited them. 

So many unthinking selfish posts in these forums.

What WG is doing is good marketing strategy and as far as decreasing the NDA and doing invitations to CBT... Have you ever followed a game from the very beginning?  Yes, when CBT comes for nearly any title they 1) reduce restrictions on the NDA 2) make mass invitations to wave 1 of CBT 3) they provide a means to fill in vacancies in the test queue by various means, and yes Victoria that means giving keys to media outlets.  In the past the keys were primarily given to be companies like Nvidia, IGN etc...  But WG has done something better, they have given the keys that would have gone to other media sources to streamers who actually (gasp) play the game and spread interest in the game.

Each and everyone of you wouldn't be whining about this if you had gotten in Beta.   That's a fact...

Edited by TheBlackStig

Members
31 posts

Posts about marketing strategies from those who probably haven't had a class in Business management are useful.  :P   It is even more useful when it comes from bitter players who disagree with the system because thus far it hasn't benefited them. 

So many unthinking selfish posts in these forums.

What WG is doing is good marketing strategy and as far as decreasing the NDA and doing invitations to CBT... Have you ever followed a game from the very beginning?  Yes, when CBT comes for nearly any title they 1) reduce restrictions on the NDA 2) make mass invitations to wave 1 of CBT 3) they provide a means to fill in vacancies in the test queue by various means, and yes Victoria that means giving keys to media outlets.  In the past the keys were primarily given to be companies like Nvidia, IGN etc...  But WG has done something better, they have given the keys that would have gone to other media sources to streamers who actually (gasp) play the game and spread interest in the game.

Each and everyone of you wouldn't be whining about this if you had gotten in Beta.   That's a fact...

You're missing the point here. Of course people who got into the beta aren't complaining, they got their reward. And I mean reward in the sense of the Skinner box, not that I"m entitled to a code simply because I sign up. What I was arguing against was this vague dangling of the carrot in front of people. Watch twitch streams, check our twitter for codes! But how many hours do you think people will waste on that before they decide '[edited]this, [edited]World of Warships, I'll go find something I'm actually allowed to play'? If we'd just been told we weren't getting in you wouldn't see this constant stream of people complaining that they can't get a code.
Edited by WorldConqueror86
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
81 posts
117 battles

I agree all it accomplishes is promoting streamers but for the majority just making people frustrated. I have been following world of warships for years now, tested world of warplanes, sent in my application on march 12, and still havn't gotten an email.

Members
92 posts

Heck, I'm in the beta and I'm frustrated with it. This community may not be toxic as a whole, but its toxic elements are ASTOUNDINGLY bad. I had a carrier player taunt me today after killing me, and then begin calling me racial slurs. He's pretty well known for this, apparently, but he's not the only person I've seen acting that way. It really kills the desire to play.

I know how you feel but no matter what game you play your going to deal with players like that.  Best thing to do is Screenshot the chat and send it to WG. I haven't had an Opportunity to Read the EULA but I'm fairly certain that type of behavior is enough to possibly get him thrown out of beta.  +1 for you