You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: The Allure of the Research Bureau

34 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
20,150 posts
14,332 battles

I'm that sort of player who likes fleshing out their ship lines at the mid tiers without necessarily proceeding to the stratospheric heights of Tier 9 and 10. I made an exception for the Minotaur because the UK light cruisers were my first line and I thought why not get to the top at least once? But it took me a while, and spamming the hell out of the Minotaur is not something I spend my life doing. 

She was going to be my only Tier 10 tech-tree grind, but then the UK destroyers came in and the Daring is the near-sister of the actual warship HMAS Vampire that I have visited in Sydney Harbour, and then I got the Yamato permacamo when the High School Fleet collaboration returned (so why not get that as well, eventually?), but having five or more tech-tree T10's and having the luxury of resetting one or more of them had never really entered into my head - either as a desire or a possibility. 

So I figured "Yeah, Colbert and Ohio... so what if I never have them, because I have Smolensk and Thunderer, and they will do just fine."  And later, "Oh, by the way, I don't see Unique Upgrades/Legendary Modules as all that necessary anyway."

It just wasn't for me. I wasn't the hard-grinding type. Let those who ARE hard grinders and want something to do and some reward for it have those prizes. No sweat.

Then WG in their infinite wisdom announced what I described in this post:

That was February 6, and when I wrote those words I had JUST researched the B hull of the Shchors (at least in progress terms, if not chronological time). Now I'm never one to refuse a free high-tier premium ship, so I calculated the grind in terms of XP needed per day and I set myself quite reasonable goals - I think they amounted to 6,000 XP a day in Russian cruisers to have it done by the start of 0.9.4 (assuming four-week patches and a two-patch cycle for each of British cruisers - true - and EU destroyers - likely). 

Having such reasonable and easily achievable goals, it was not hard to exceed them. And so, just under three weeks from this announcement being made, I found myself the proud owner of a Dmitri Donskoi. With two weeks left to go in patch 0.9.1 as I type this, that gives me ten weeks (or 70 days) in which to grind out the three hundred thousand XP needed to get from Donskoi to Moskva (I intend to bypass the B fire control system). That's just a shade under 4300 XP per day. Should be easy, right?

Now admittedly I'm working to a hypothetical (but IMHO reasonably deduced) deadline here, and I have the nuclear option of FXP to lean on if I should be wrong about the timing or lose my motivation for that grind... but it does show how ridiculously easy it is to proceed up a line if one has a mind to do it. I begin to understand the mindset of those who DO regrind their lines because they want a fresh perspective on the grind after however many years. 

Does this mean it's for me? Will I chase and reset the necessary lines to get to the Holy Grail of a Research Bureau ship? IDK. But this interesting experience certainly shifts me from "Never" to "You know what, it's really not that hard if I actually want it."

The best thing is I'm STILL happily integrating all this around completing directives and getting [insert name of candidate captain du jour here] up to the coveted 19 points.

And since I'd mostly be doing it at Tier 8 or above, I'm also clawing my way towards having Admiral Halsey in my port (one more star till I unlock the final task of Mission 4).

Convenient, that. :cap_like:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 4

[WMD]
Members
1,621 posts
9,759 battles

I've found that the RB resets aren't hard to do if you choose lines you enjoyed. The secret to not hating the RB is to not be in a rush to get back to T10. 

I have reset the RN CL line twice now, and am already back to Neptune. I find the RN CLs are fun from T6 onward, so they are the perfect RB line for me. 

I'm not enjoying the USN DD line much at all, but the USN DDs were also my first line, so my style and preferences have changed over the years. 

[-K-]
Members
8,354 posts
14,156 battles
6 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

I've found that the RB resets aren't hard to do if you choose lines you enjoyed. The secret to not hating the RB is to not be in a rush to get back to T10. 

So much truth here.

I choose to re-grind lines I want to re-experience and that I've enjoyed in the past, not for the RB points.  The points are just a bonus.

• Cool 1

[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
990 posts

I personally will pass on the regrind . Taking into account I only have three tech tree T10 ships  I do not see myseelf regrinding any lines.

I have Smolensk and Georgia in my port so im set .

:Smile_honoring:Cheers. M8

[RLGN]
Members
14,306 posts
25,245 battles
5 minutes ago, Versili said:

I personally will pass on the regrind . Taking into account I only have three tech tree T10 ships  I do not see myseelf regrinding any lines.

Eighteen tier 10s, (iirc, on phone and can’t check,) screw the RB.

Not going anywhere near it.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts
13 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

So much truth here.

I choose to re-grind lines I want to re-experience and that I've enjoyed in the past, not for the RB points.  The points are just a bonus.

If I want to play a ship I enjoyed in the past... I'll go click on it and hit Battle... because I never sold it in the first place.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,664 posts
14,760 battles

There are lines I overall like, but man going through those T9 grindwalls again...

[-K-]
Members
8,354 posts
14,156 battles
31 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

If I want to play a ship I enjoyed in the past... I'll go click on it and hit Battle... because I never sold it in the first place.

And that's the beauty of it.  You're not forced to do anything.

It's just there for those who want to re-experience a line.

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

I originally thought that I was not going to regrind...until I realized that for almost all ships that I liked in a reset line, I had a premium that was close if not exact to that ship.  The rest were just collecting dust and rust.  Ohio, here I come.

Hear you on the Russian Cruiser split.  Kept Moskva but I got so much stuff on the US cruiser split that I couldn't resist repurchasing Kirov and Shchors in prep for the Russian split.  Grinding out the approx 120k on Shchors now and almost to 175k coal for Kuznetsov.

All I need now is a sale on perm camo.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts
Just now, Ace_04 said:

And that's the beauty of it.  You're not forced to do anything.

It's just there for those who want to re-experience a line.

Which would be all fine and good, had WG also not started locking exclusive content behind that wall (especially in the context of their original plan to use Upgrades so powerful as to be near-mandatory for any PVP play as the carrot behind the regrind stick with NTC).

[WMD]
Members
1,621 posts
9,759 battles
32 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

That certainly works as well, but you then miss out on the bonuses available in the RB. 

I have enough other high tier ships that I don't miss my Minotaur, or Gearing too much. I can see not having them being frustrating for others though. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts
Just now, VeatherVitch said:

That certainly works as well, but you then miss out on the bonuses available in the RB. 

I have enough other high tier ships that I don't miss my Minotaur, or Gearing too much. I can see not having them being frustrating for others though. 

There is literally nothing they could put behind the Regrind Bureau wall that would get me to sell off ships I already have.

Those 10k RPs that are sitting there in my Armory?   If you put a "remove all Regrind Bureau elements and references from your UI" option in the game, and charged 10k RPs for it... that's the one thing I'd ever spend those RPs on. 

[-K-]
Members
8,354 posts
14,156 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Which would be all fine and good, had WG also not started locking exclusive content behind that wall (especially in the context of their original plan to use Upgrades so powerful as to be near-mandatory for any PVP play as the carrot behind the regrind stick with NTC).

@KilljoyCutter, you've been around long enough to know there is always a carrot to be dangled with anything in this game, whether it be Research Bureau, Clan/Ranked battles, or Christmas events.  It's to give people who don't want to do something "just because" enough incentive to work towards a goal.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,150 posts
14,332 battles
3 minutes ago, jmanII said:

I got so much stuff on the US cruiser split that I couldn't resist repurchasing Kirov and Shchors in prep for the Russian split. 

Be aware that this is not going to work in the same way, because all the ships that are remaining are staying in place - we don't have that cascading effect of ships moving into other ships' tiers all the way down to the split point as we did for the Americans. That was what made the US split so incredibly lucrative. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts
Just now, Ace_04 said:

@KilljoyCutter, you've been around long enough to know there is always a carrot to be dangled with anything in this game, whether it be Research Bureau, Clan/Ranked battles, or Christmas events.  It's to give people who don't want to do something "just because" enough incentive to work towards a goal.

If the only reason people are doing something in a game is to get that carrot, then the design of that something has already failed -- because that something is not by itself enjoyable enough to get players engaged with it. 

[WMD]
Members
1,621 posts
9,759 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

If the only reason people are doing something in a game is to get that carrot, then the design of that something has already failed -- because that something is not by itself enjoyable enough to get players engaged with it. 

That's an odd view to take on games. 

Pretty much every game has a grind or progression you need to go through to get to a reward. For many people the reward is the reason for playing in the first place. 

People didn't do raids in WoW, or DAOC because spending 6 hours online spamming heal was fun...

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Be aware that this is not going to work in the same way, because all the ships that are remaining are staying in place - we don't have that cascading effect of ships moving into other ships' tiers all the way down to the split point as we did for the Americans. That was what made the US split so incredibly lucrative. 

I realize that, but the announced 2 premiums (Kirov and Moskva) with a possible free replacement (Nevsky) was enough for me to repurchase at least 2 ships and start the grind for Tallin.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts
5 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

That's an odd view to take on games. 

Pretty much every game has a grind or progression you need to go through to get to a reward. For many people the reward is the reason for playing in the first place. 

People didn't do raids in WoW, or DAOC because spending 6 hours online spamming heal was fun...

And that's why I didn't do raids in WoW etc very often, because I didn't enjoy them, and "rewards" were not the point of playing the game. 

I work 8-11 hours a day, 5 days a week, and I'm on call on the weekend -- that is, I have a damn job, where I do a thing (work) to get a thing (money).  Gaming is supposed to be fun, not another chore done to get a thing. 

• Cool 1

[TCAL]
Members
66 posts
10,269 battles

Have to agree with the OP

When RB was launched, I also thought 'Nah. Not for me".  No interest.

Ohio is similar to Georgia, which I already have. And I'm not very good in cruisers, so pass on the Colbert too.

But when Unique / Legendary mods were announced to be adding to the RB, I thought that may be a quicker way to get a few rather than the super grindy T10 missions that I never bother with.

As a DD main I reset the Pan-Asian DD line, as I remember enjoying that line, and don't play my YY very much. The +200% XP bonus from the holidays helped a ton, and got my YY back in like 2 months. Also had fun doing it. Chung Mu is still a pleasure to play.

So just a few days ago I reset the IJN DD line too. Will miss my Shima, as that was my first T10. But I got her way back before the IJN DD line split, so I really haven't played any of the T5 - T9 as they currently are. Free XP'd to the Mutsuki, which is kinda painful at the moment, but getting better with her. I will end up with 50K RB points soon, which hopefully will be enough for a handful of Unique / Legendary mods.. Or I may save the points and wait for something to add to the RB that I am interested in..

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,410 posts
15,866 battles

As a ship collector and line grinder the RB for me is a no brainer (I also keep all the captains). I mean I am going to play a lot of these ships again any way why not get a reward for it?

So resetting lines that I really had fun with is not a hard decision. 

[RCNW3]
Members
1,923 posts
19,111 battles

If ya like grinding, and ya want to use up a lot of resources, then regrind is for you.  For me, yes started the regrind with an idea that “hey let me re experience a line that I did back at the beginning of time, the US BBs.  Started OK then reached Colorado, which while having some buffs, was still a pile in today’s meta.  Was getting tiered up all the time, and in 7/8/9, a lot of grinding is required.  Spent wayyy toooo many credits, some free exp on base hull and other upgrades, used some camo and flags to speed things up, but by the time got my Montana back, was a bit disappointed.  Tried it on two lines I enjoyed, RN CLs and US DDs, and just the time and resources necessary to grind made it unpleasant.  At that point, I had enough points to get Colbert (which I think is pretty Meh), and bought it because I did not want to do another line to get the rest of the points for the Ohio.

at the time I started the regrinds, I had almost 400 million credits, by the end had only 150 million, used up a lot of free exp and most of my red dragon flags for a ship a hardly play.  For myself personally, unless the put a Stalingrad or Somers out there, will not be doing the research B again.  Better things to do with my time, and with 185 ships, too many great ships to waste my time chasing one more Port Queen 

[WMD]
Members
1,621 posts
9,759 battles
10 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

And that's why I didn't do raids in WoW etc very often, because I didn't enjoy them, and "rewards" were not the point of playing the game. 

I work 8-11 hours a day, 5 days a week, and I'm on call on the weekend -- that is, I have a damn job, where I do a thing (work) to get a thing (money).  Gaming is supposed to be fun, not another chore done to get a thing. 

That's fair, there are many days after work that I don't feel like "working" in a game either. Not putting in the grind hours has meant that I missed out on a lot of "free" event stuff over the years, but I knew I'd miss out on it when I decided to not play. 

I'm super happy for you that you have a job(because apparently the rest of us don't?), and that you make money(again, because most of us don't?). 

It must suck hating almost every video game, since pretty much every one requires a grind of some sort. Or is it morally superior to only grind once, and any more than that is wrong? 

A lot of people like redoing ship lines, or starting games over again with new characters. Some people enjoy the process of leveling up, and if they can do that while gaining other rewards all the better. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts
Just now, VeatherVitch said:

That's fair, there are many days after work that I don't feel like "working" in a game either. Not putting in the grind hours has meant that I missed out on a lot of "free" event stuff over the years, but I knew I'd miss out on it when I decided to not play. 

I'm super happy for you that you have a job(because apparently the rest of us don't?), and that you make money(again, because most of us don't?). 

It must suck hating almost every video game, since pretty much every one requires a grind of some sort. Or is it morally superior to only grind once, and any more than that is wrong? 

A lot of people like redoing ship lines, or starting games over again with new characters. Some people enjoy the process of leveling up, and if they can do that while gaining other rewards all the better. 

That's quite a stretch from what I posted.

Frankly, on any game where I can avoid it with a console command or file edit, I just skip the grindy elements.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,773 posts
21,541 battles

I had 4 T10's when the RB was announced. Like you @Ensign_Cthulhu, I like my mid-tier ships and then only particular ships, not lines. So at first I wasn't interested in RB because I really don't like to grind ship lines at all. But I happen to be a CL fan and Colbert was just sitting there beckoning... So I finished off the RU DD line to get Gorozovoi and complete my fifth line.

But I still don't like grinding and I had enough free XP to run the IJN DD line to Shima, twice, at the beginning of the last season which gave me 40k RB points after it was finished (10k for being a newbie, 10k bonus for the season, 20k for the two resets.)

I just finished free XP'ing the IJN line last week at the start of this season to get another 20k RB points and now Colbert is mine! It only cost me about 2 million free XP but that's okay. I am happy and that is how games are supposed to make you feel.

Ohio does not interest me in the least so the RB will rest for now until another ship or the UU can interest me enough to take the plunge again.

[PVE]
Members
4,263 posts
18,638 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm that sort of player who likes fleshing out their ship lines at the mid tiers without necessarily proceeding to the stratospheric heights of Tier 9 and 10. I made an exception for the Minotaur because the UK light cruisers were my first line and I thought why not get to the top at least once? But it took me a while, and spamming the hell out of the Minotaur is not something I spend my life doing. 

She was going to be my only Tier 10 tech-tree grind, but then the UK destroyers came in and the Daring is the near-sister of the actual warship HMAS Vampire that I have visited in Sydney Harbour, and then I got the Yamato permacamo when the High School Fleet collaboration returned (so why not get that as well, eventually?), but having five or more tech-tree T10's and having the luxury of resetting one or more of them had never really entered into my head - either as a desire or a possibility. 

So I figured "Yeah, Colbert and Ohio... so what if I never have them, because I have Smolensk and Thunderer, and they will do just fine."  And later, "Oh, by the way, I don't see Unique Upgrades/Legendary Modules as all that necessary anyway."

It just wasn't for me. I wasn't the hard-grinding type. Let those who ARE hard grinders and want something to do and some reward for it have those prizes. No sweat.

Then WG in their infinite wisdom announced what I described in this post:

That was February 6, and when I wrote those words I had JUST researched the B hull of the Shchors (at least in progress terms, if not chronological time). Now I'm never one to refuse a free high-tier premium ship, so I calculated the grind in terms of XP needed per day and I set myself quite reasonable goals - I think they amounted to 6,000 XP a day in Russian cruisers to have it done by the start of 0.9.4 (assuming four-week patches and a two-patch cycle for each of British cruisers - true - and EU destroyers - likely). 

Having such reasonable and easily achievable goals, it was not hard to exceed them. And so, just under three weeks from this announcement being made, I found myself the proud owner of a Dmitri Donskoi. With two weeks left to go in patch 0.9.1 as I type this, that gives me ten weeks (or 70 days) in which to grind out the three hundred thousand XP needed to get from Donskoi to Moskva (I intend to bypass the B fire control system). That's just a shade under 4300 XP per day. Should be easy, right?

Now admittedly I'm working to a hypothetical (but IMHO reasonably deduced) deadline here, and I have the nuclear option of FXP to lean on if I should be wrong about the timing or lose my motivation for that grind... but it does show how ridiculously easy it is to proceed up a line if one has a mind to do it. I begin to understand the mindset of those who DO regrind their lines because they want a fresh perspective on the grind after however many years. 

Does this mean it's for me? Will I chase and reset the necessary lines to get to the Holy Grail of a Research Bureau ship? IDK. But this interesting experience certainly shifts me from "Never" to "You know what, it's really not that hard if I actually want it."

The best thing is I'm STILL happily integrating all this around completing directives and getting [insert name of candidate captain du jour here] up to the coveted 19 points.

And since I'd mostly be doing it at Tier 8 or above, I'm also clawing my way towards having Admiral Halsey in my port (one more star till I unlock the final task of Mission 4).

Convenient, that. :cap_like:

I read what you posted and will buy through to the Moskva and hope that process works out as you've talked about.  The grind isn't worth the time though.....  And, I have the time because I am retired but, grinding "just isn't any fun" to begin with and the game is as stale as it can get at the moment......  sigh.  :Smile_facepalm:

I'm about 200K from my seventeenth, 19 point CPT and after that............well, there just isn't anything "worth doing" as far as I can see...>!  I'll keep playing but, I really will only play my ships with 19 point CPT's and stay in COOP/Scenarios with what is left of our clan ( division only)....  COD is calling us and the others are still searching for the Plan A game to invade with the rest of the heart breakers that already left WoWs and a few others from another team I belong to..... 

Good luck and have fun !  I'll see you'all early AM I guess and we'll see what the future holds because I'm guessing there will be some interesting changes for later this year........