You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Ranked Arms Race: Your Picks?

58 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,084 battles

With the latest season of Ranked battles upon us today, the usual question is going to be asked: 

What will be your go-to ship(s) this season?

We've seen T10 Ranked before, but the curiosity of the approach here is different considering it's the first time Arms Race has been open to both T10 ships, as well as carriers.  Depending on how prevalent they are, the CV aspect is definitely going to impact how people choose and build-out their ships this time around.

[KWF]
Members
4,358 posts
6,405 battles

Haven't started yet, but I think I will go Kleber and Daring.  Speed demons should be able to get some good first picks and Daring is a classic. While I can bet most battles will be full of Smolensk, I just can't bring myself to play that ship.

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,084 battles
8 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Haven't started yet, but I think I will go Kleber and Daring.  Speed demons should be able to get some good first picks and Daring is a classic. While I can bet most battles will be full of Smolensk, I just can't bring myself to play that ship.

I'm with you on Smolensk.  I've only ever played a handful of battles in it because I feel dirty after doing so.  Plus, I don't find any joy with that ship.

Daring is an interesting DD choice.  Having smoke on-demand will help mitigate air attacks from CVs.  AA-focused destroyers will also likely be decent.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
334 posts
11,832 battles

Thunderer worked well for me last ranked season.

• Cool 1

[FLOTR]
Members
180 posts

Montana or Smol.

Montana rewards the careful marksman. 

Smol permits stress of the day to "burn away" :D

• Cool 2

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,330 posts
20,013 battles

I need to finish legendary grinds so

Probably DM to start, see how the meta plays out

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,084 battles
5 minutes ago, NoLoveForPhatShips said:

I need to finish legendary grinds so

Probably DM to start, see how the meta plays out

Yeah, I have to finish the last stage for Zao as well, even if she may not be the best cruiser pick.

[WW2]
Members
332 posts
6,757 battles

Most likely daring and venzia. V is a beast and in 7v7 I think it will shine. Smol needs more targets for it to be effective I think. 

Members
6,621 posts
20,599 battles

Just played my first game, won but was dead last on my team, grounded and failed but got the carry so I will take it.

4 Smolensk's, 2 Kremlins, 1  Stalingrad out of the 14 ships.

• Cool 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
803 posts
9,637 battles

Daring and Balansgrad for me. If I’m feeling like a bb then probably thunderer, or kremlin if I get her before the season ends

also working on zao legendary so perhaps a few games of it as well 

Members
505 posts
6,641 battles

any CV.... because with 3 (maybe 4) heal buffs, no single ship even with DFAA and using priority sector, is going to do **ANY** as in ZERO damage to your planes while you literally circle overhead for 3 minutes......

EDIT: for those that need to see it to believe it... A player from EU server posted this....

Edited by Squib_Surefire

Members
3,074 posts
6,551 battles

I'll stick with Thunderer and Minotaur, which were my old reliables from the PTS Ranked 15, and if I potate and die early in both, I'll just randomly use one of my other Tier X ships.

• Cool 1

[BS]
Members
1,978 posts
10,763 battles

I need to grind T10 legendary mods, if I wait too long I'll never have them. There's no way in hell i'm grinding research points and using them to buy legendary mods over the ships in the research bureau.

Edited by HorrorRoach

Members
6,621 posts
20,599 battles

Happy to be 2-0 but I am being carried hard, not sure I get the arms race mentality or game mode yet. 

Members
6,621 posts
20,599 battles
19 minutes ago, Squib_Surefire said:

any CV.... because with 3 (maybe 4) heal buffs, no single ship even with DFAA and using priority sector, is going to do **ANY** as in ZERO damage to your planes while you literally circle overhead for 3 minutes......

EDIT: for those that need to see it to believe it... A player from EU server posted this....

Watching this video is somewhat sickening.

• Boring 1

[FORM]
Members
1,617 posts
11,231 battles
16 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

CVs, weegee neglected to test them and they are pretty much invulnerable with the heal buff... 

CVs are pretty much invulnerable in most random matches, at least til all the other ships are dead... unless the captain really wants to get close to the battle.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,132 posts
4,958 battles

I'm going to try and make Bourgogne work with a variety of pretty wierd builds (secondary, DE, etc), but I will likley just fall back on Kuznetzov Kremlin.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,896 posts
8,143 battles

Arms Race? My pick is not to play lol.

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
9,182 battles

Kremlin, because the enemy make mistakes when it pushes towards them. It has actually been nerfed really hard, but it still causes panic amongst the lessor players who can't handle Russian awesomesauce.

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,084 battles
10 minutes ago, SidTheBlade said:

Kremlin, because the enemy make mistakes when it pushes towards them. It has actually been nerfed really hard, but it still causes panic amongst the lessor players who can't handle Russian awesomesauce.

Actually, it likely hasn't been nerfed enough to legitimately call in balanced.  The small reduction in sigma and the reduction of HP of the AA mounts will do little to affect the strength of the ship.

2 hours ago, Darmokattenagra said:

Most likely daring and venzia. V is a beast and in 7v7 I think it will shine. Smol needs more targets for it to be effective I think. 

Good call on Venezia.  Those heavy SAP volleys are a definite hard counter to keep most Smolensk's honest.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,695 posts
1 hour ago, Squib_Surefire said:

This is evidently an error on WG"s part that is being fixed. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,652 posts
14,704 battles

I quite liked Henri in previous seasons, and Minotaur because radar against Smolensk is sublime. 

If there are lots of carriers though... Probably nothing.

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,551 posts
11,708 battles

CVs going to make this so much fun... right....

• Boring 1