You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Shackal_

Edge of the Map should be a penalty

61 comments in this topic

[EMD]
[EMD]
Members
9 posts
8,081 battles

Hello senior staff and developers. I am getting tired of players using the edge of the map to avoid shots and survive. It is time to Wargaming change the rules of using the edge of the map. 

I believe players on the border edge of the map should receive a penalty. Maybe your reload increases by 3x, and your HP starts to decrease like a 2x fire rate. Players would not sustain the position for long terms. 

It is not easy to aiming for a target moving on the border edge. 

Please consider this observation and modify the rules. 

The only penalty is the loss of power. This is ridiculous. 

Best regards to all.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 10

Members
4,359 posts
11,269 battles

Given that most of the time when you run into the border it’s accidental because you’re kiting away from a pushing flank, the loss of power already makes it difficult enough to get out if you have a larger turning circle (like a battleship or some cruisers). 

Hitting a target on the map border is easy if you know how to aim and lead for it, so if you’re struggling to hit them that’s probably more a you problem than a game problem. Now there have been times where I end up running into the border and stay there because I know the people shooting at me won’t be able to aim correctly (based on their aim prior to me hitting th border) until I can kill them or safely get off the border without broadsiding them, but I’ve seen just as many players (myself included) who have no issues accurately hitting ships on the border.

My recommendation to you if you think someone’s doing it intentionally and they’re abusing the border is the same as it is to anyone else complaining of cheating or exploits - send a ticket to support. But as I said earlier, the vast majority of players that hit the border do so accidentally. 

• Cool 2

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles

The vast, and I do mean vast, majority of the time someone is on the map border, they were pushed there. You know, by you, the guy shooting at them. Then, they lose engine power, making it difficult to get OFF the border.

Adjust your aim accordingly, or don't push them to the border. This is a 100% non-issue.

• Cool 9

[HINON]
Members
13,262 posts

If you cannot punish someone who hits the border with the 75% reduction in engine power, the problem isn't with the ship on the border.

• Cool 4

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,366 posts
20,047 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

If you cannot punish someone who hits the border with the 75% reduction in engine power, the problem isn't with the ship on the border.

lol yep

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,321 battles

Engine reduction of 80 % should affect the ship after 120 seconds, this would allow them to easliy remove themselves off the border.

If they do want to border hug, then a DOT should kick in, so players have a choice, get off the border, or die sitting on it

The last person to do damage to you gets the kill, this way it stops people self killing themselves. 

If people have no damage and die on the border on purpose, they are locked to t2 games in co op for 7 days.

If they do it 3 times they are banned for 90 days.

Or

Using the border like CV planes do, if you hit it, you are turned around and thrown back onto the map

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 4

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
728 posts
4,671 battles

There shouldn't be a border that stops you, you should just be allowed out of the map borders.

The catch is, you take damage in it, and the farther away from the map you are, the more damage you take per second.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,214 posts
9,362 battles
3 hours ago, _Shackal_ said:

It is not easy to aiming for a target moving on the border edge

Sorry to say, but if you can't hit a ship that's traveling at 25% speed along one dimension, you really should work on your aim.

It's a non-issue.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Members
727 posts
9,871 battles

It's annoying that Wargaming hasn't fixed the target tracking for ships on the border when it's been an issue since the alpha test, but it's usually not that hard to hit a ship on the border. I think usually when someone complains about a ship on the border, they're complaining because they chased it there and expected it to do the "honorable" thing and broadside them.

• Boring 1

[CLRN]
Members
598 posts
122 battles
7 hours ago, _Shackal_ said:

Hello senior staff and developers. I am getting tired of players using the edge of the map to avoid shots and survive. It is time to Wargaming change the rules of using the edge of the map. 

I believe players on the border edge of the map should receive a penalty. Maybe your reload increases by 3x, and your HP starts to decrease like a 2x fire rate. Players would not sustain the position for long terms. 

Best regards to all.

imo border should deal DoT with an increasing rate in time.

for example, if you touch the border, for first 10 secs you are not gonna get any damage. you will only lose your engine power. after 10 secs, border is gonna start dealing damage. lets say 200 per sec for 5 secs. then 500 for the next 5 secs. then 1500 per sec for next 5 secs. and finally 4000 per sec until the ship leaves the border or until it dies.

that would prevent border humping. 

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,840 battles
5 hours ago, WernerHerzdog said:

it's usually not that hard to hit a ship on the border. I think usually when someone complains about a ship on the border, they're complaining because they chased it there and expected it to do the "honorable" thing and broadside them.

^^  Pretty much this.

Don't expect a cruiser to turn broadside to you just because he's run out of map.  Would you, in his shoes?

Aiming at ships on the boarder is a bit tricky, but once you figure it out, there's no need for artificial damage penalties for targets on the border.  You'll be quite capable of administering the penalty yourself.

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

WG please modify the rules to make it easier to sink enemy ships in PVP matches. 

• Boring 1

[EMD]
[EMD]
Members
9 posts
8,081 battles
10 hours ago, vak_ said:

Sorry to say, but if you can't hit a ship that's traveling at 25% speed along one dimension, you really should work on your aim.

It's a non-issue.

Well, that is not what I see in games. It's not only me. I see other players struggling to aim targets on the border edge. Specially if you are in long range. The problem is not the 25% speed. You can't lead your aiming correctly and the target turns fast than usual. If you think I am wrong, open a training room an test your ship turning radial on the border 

• Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
29,043 posts
8,295 battles
2 minutes ago, _Shackal_ said:

Well, that is not what I see in games. It's not only me. I see other players struggling to aim targets on the border edge.

Yup, because they're trying to lead the ship as if it's still going forward, instead of travelling along the border.

I see far more players struggling with fear of being shot. Shouldn't we help them first?

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
29,043 posts
8,295 battles
12 minutes ago, _Shackal_ said:

If you think I am wrong, open a training room an test your ship turning radial on the border 

I have done that.

And as a result, I have a better idea of the actual speed of ships that are sliding along the border, and can hit them more easily.

What I do is ignore the ship model. I just visualise the center mass of the ship as a box sliding along the border.

Ideally, there would be no border. I just think of all the extra wins I could get, by kiting 3-4 ships so far away that they can't get back in time to do anything lol.

Edited by Skpstr

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,784 posts
4,631 battles

I like the idea of studding the border with forts that will open up in ships within range for more than 20 seconds or so. 

• Funny 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,214 posts
9,362 battles
27 minutes ago, _Shackal_ said:

Well, that is not what I see in games. It's not only me. I see other players struggling to aim targets on the border edge. Specially if you are in long range. The problem is not the 25% speed. You can't lead your aiming correctly and the target turns fast than usual. If you think I am wrong, open a training room an test your ship turning radial on the border 

Same players probably have issues aiming (especially at long range), without border riding.

[FORM]
Members
1,629 posts
11,363 battles
14 hours ago, _Shackal_ said:

I believe players on the border edge of the map should receive a penalty.

I do agree with you, though there's a difference with hitting the border and "riding" it. I would like a short timer (15s, maybe 20 or even 30?) to start if/when you hit the border. Anytime you're touching the border still, the timer keeps counting down. It does NOT reset... and when that timer is up, you start taking damage any time you're still touching the border. So, you can stay near the edges of the border, but actually using the awkward speed impact of hitting the border as a way to dodge would be of a limited value.

[REVY]
Members
2,286 posts
12,269 battles

There was a game I used to play back in the late 90s, early 2000s. It was a space combat game and the battle maps had a border marked much like in WoWS.

However, unlike in WoWS where the border stops you and slows you down, in this game you could move over the border. The key though, is that after moving over the border, a timer began to countdown. If you had not moved back into the main map by the time the timer had clicked down, your ship was considered to have 'left the engagement area' and was essentially considered as a 'loss' for your team.

Maybe something similar can be implemented in WoWS. Yeah, you can cross the border, but if you don't return back within the map borders, your ship has 'sailed off', for the purposes of the battle is considered 'lost/destroyed' and it subtracts the PTs the ship is worth from the teams score. However, the other team does not get any points for the ship 'kill'.

I already can see a point people will bring up: What if someone doesn't like the MM matchup and simply sails off the map?

Maybe it could be treated as an AFK, I mean if the game registers a full health ship leaving the battle, it could register it much like the typical AFK that sits there. Enough 'sails off' and you get 'Pinked'.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,784 posts
4,631 battles
35 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I already can see a point people will bring up: What if someone doesn't like the MM matchup and simply sails off the map?

Pink tutu for leaving the battle early. 

It's not a bad idea.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,903 battles
15 hours ago, _Shackal_ said:

Best regards to all.

Yeah, the penalty should be you fall off :)

Flat Earth Society 

Edited by Commander_367

[A-I-M]
Members
3,013 posts
22,081 battles

An enemy on the edge of the map is a tasty target. 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,784 posts
4,631 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_367 said:

Yeah, the penalty should be you fall off :)

Flat Earth Society 

Flat Earth has been disproved.

990374579_catsdisproveflatearth.jpg.c4565865e5027b584afa764910608dd3.jpg

• Funny 1

[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,383 battles
13 hours ago, vak_ said:

It's a non-issue.

Actually not true the ship bounces in a out of the border, which allows it to speed up and slow down rapidly. Don't base your argument on a static instance in time on a fluid game.  It not a non issue maybe not a big one but it is a issue. Simple fix you touch the border all your weapon gets disabled. When you leave the border you weapons reload just like when you spawn.  

• Boring 1