You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sinboto

Face palm worthy moments

10 comments in this topic

[NDA]
Supertester
3,574 posts
7,677 battles

😖
Spoiler

Was in a match earlier when I noticed something, to set the stage: 

Me in my CV scouting B. 

Edinburgh and DD: in B can't cap because there's a DD. 

Allied DD: backs off because she's a torp boat and the enemy is a gunboat.

Me: spot enemy DD 5km away from edi just fired torps, she has misjudged her speed and is in front of her freshly made smoke.

Edi: shooting enemy torpitz over an island. 

What I am expecting to happen: edi turns her guns and blast the DD. 

What actually happens: edi ignores the DD and continues to shoot at the now in open water torpitz. 

Me: drops two rocket salvoes at the enemy DD and takes a solid chunk out of her. 

Enemy DD: backs into smoke, my last set of rockets miss. 

Edi: uses hydro

Me: thinking "great he's noticed the DD, he's got this" but I send out some fresh rockets just in case. 

What actually happens: edi continues to shoot at the torpitz

Enemy DD: is now 3km away and her torps are reloaded, devastating strike. 

Enemy DD: She then proceeds to kill the torp boat before my rockets can get back to the position.

Me: Facepalming. 

Put in a spoiler cause the above post is kind of long.

What are your epic facepalm stories in warships?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles

I too my October Revolution out the other day and couldn't figure out why Priority Target wasn't working. Got back to port and saw that I had the untrained place holder captain. :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,990 posts
5,814 battles

I remember one "why?" moment from a few weeks back.

An enemy Yueyang, decided that since I was at 70%-ish health, he could take me in a 1v1 gunfight...... I was playing Harugumo. :fish_palm:

Needless to say he started dying very quickly. Perhaps realising he wasn't going to make it, in his desperation before he died, launched his deep water torps at me. :fish_palm:

And those torps weren't even on target anyway. :fish_palm:

• Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,123 posts
4,088 battles

Ranked Battle. Our Smolensk. Instantly drove to island, and proceeded to sit so close to it he couldn't hit anything. Didn't matter because the cap he couldn't shoot into was uncontested, there was literally not a ship in range. About 10 minutes into the battle he figures out he's completely useless where he is, so he relocates to a second island, which he still can't shoot over. Moreover we're getting flattened at this point, and the enemy team has now moved so our Smolensk has 2 islands between him and anything he can shoot. A few minutes later it's down the last two ships on our side, and some T10 BB finally clears the island. Smolensk opens fire, and realizes that he can't shoot over the island he's behind. So he charges out broadside on to this BB, and proceeds to open water gunboat at about 8km. No smoke, no torps, just shots on a near full HP T10 BB. It was over pretty quick... despite our entire team yelling at him to smoke up. 

To this day I haven't seen a worse played ship. I seriously think he didn't know he had smoke, because he glued himself to islands and when forced out didn't use anything but smoke. I should have looked up his stats, but he must have been some T3 newbie who bought himself the OP Smolensk and jumped into T10 Ranked:Smile_facepalm: I've see a lot of dumb things, but that guy takes the cake. At least WG has the sense to make you play T10 for rental ships....

IMO you shouldn't be allowed to buy (or at least play in Random and Ranked) premiums above your highest line tier. That way we avoid idiots who don't even know what a consumable is.

[RLGN]
Members
14,303 posts
25,241 battles

Very first Ranked was T7 in the only ship I could get to at the time, Mahan.

According to Warships Numbers I played 20 games, with a 70% wr.

Weeks, (months?) later, when I felt like it was worth going back to Mahan normally, I discovered I’d never purchased and loaded any of the modules for it...

• Funny 3

Members
4,360 posts
11,269 battles
2 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

I remember one "why?" moment from a few weeks back.

An enemy Yueyang, decided that since I was at 70%-ish health, he could take me in a 1v1 gunfight...... I was playing Harugumo. :fish_palm:

Needless to say he started dying very quickly. Perhaps realising he wasn't going to make it, in his desperation before he died, launched his deep water torps at me. :fish_palm:

And those torps weren't even on target anyway. :fish_palm:

I had something similar about six months back but almost the exact opposite. Friendly Black was pushing into a cap supported by me, two div mates (all three of us in t8 cruisers), and a Scharnhorst. Enemy DD smoke showed up in cap, but the DD itself wasn’t spotted, although it had to be a Gadjah Mada. Black never approached the smoke ‘because you can’t see into a smoke screen’ and then ran away from the cap ‘because that dd will torpedo me’.

I checked his stats after the game because I was wondering how someone could get Black and not know a) it has radar, and b) Gadjah has deepwater torps, and expected to see a ‘potato’ player. Nope, he got his Black from ranking out with a 55ish% winrate. Goes to show that ranked definitely isn’t always a good indicator of player skill, and just because someone is supposed to be at least an okay player statswise doesn’t mean they actually know how to play well...

[ARGSY]
Members
20,140 posts
14,323 battles

Won my Normandie as an early release at the beginning of 2018, played it, loved it. Finished the grind, on to Lyon! Yay! 

Some time later, I'm sorting through the inventory for stuff to sell to get credits.

"Hey, why are the Normandie B hull, fire control and engines in Inventory? I got her as an earlybird release; didn't those come fit..."

*brings up Normandie in port, smashes head on desk in embarrassed horror as the truth dawns.*

They came RESEARCHED and PAID FOR, but I had never actually SELECTED them. I'd done the whole grind with a stock ship!

14 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

I was wondering how someone could get Black and not know a) it has radar, and b) Gadjah has deepwater torps

When was the Black given out as a Ranked prize, and when was the Pan-Asian line released? I'm guessing they got their Black fairly early in the piece, never played the Pan-Asian line, and when they came to face one, the Deepwater aspect of the torps was out of mind because they'd never actually used them. Plus, Black's radar consumable is not something it comes fitted with right out of the box; you have to select it manually in lieu of the Speed Boost she first shows up with when she appears in your port. 

Still, both seem rather odd omissions from a player significantly more experienced than I am.

16 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

some T3 newbie who bought himself the OP Smolensk

By the time you have accumulated enough coal for Smolensk you should be experienced enough to know what to do with her, even if the actual execution doesn't match the best intentions you bring from watching unicum replays. One battle in co-op (always a wise move in a new ship) is usually enough to show the intelligent player that you can't hug a rock the way you can with the Atlanta; the shell arcs just don't allow it.

[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles

Anyone who does not know by Tier 10 to always shoot a nearby revealed enemy DD needs to get the @#$% back to Tier 1 and learn the game. It's one of the golden rules of the game alongside not showing broadside and not sailing straight when an enemy DD is nearby. This is all stuff people should have learned by the time they get to the mid tiers.

Members
198 posts
8,290 battles

A few times, many games ago, I'd be in Random with a DD, and square off against another DD in a close quarters battle....    lots of shells flying back and forth....and I'd lose.     Wondering how I lost with so many shell hits...only to find out the next time I used that ship (usually minutes later) somehow I had selected AP ammo....   and didn't see all the overpens.   >>FACEPALM<<

Now I do a quick check of ammo, smoke, etc.  Required when you have six DDs....different consumables.

Members
927 posts
10,236 battles
1 hour ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Anyone who does not know by Tier 10 to always shoot a nearby revealed enemy DD needs to get the @#$% back to Tier 1 and learn the game.

Well, they should probably go back to Tier 2 so that they have DDs to shoot at.   :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1