You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Worst ships for T10 Ranked

30 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
3,912 posts
11,765 battles

Yes, the general answer is the ship you do the poorest in & I agree. But some ships seem to perform at a lower level than others & some seem better on any given tier. I'm breaking into T10 now. (enjoyed the mid tiers so much & T8, at the time was very difficult due to the old MM system, I was not interested in progressing.)

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
540 posts
3,967 battles

For DDs: I'd say YueYang, it's just underwhelming. At least Z-52 has the hydro gimmick. 

For CAs: Probably the large, squishy ones with no utility. Aka Yoshino. 

For BBs: I dunno, maybe Montana, it isn't bad, but there are many better choices.

For CVs: There aren't any bad T10 CVs lol. Anyone but the Hakuryuu I guess, since Hak is the most broken

[SKDSH]
Members
446 posts
8,617 battles
10 minutes ago, PotatoMD said:

I dunno, maybe Montana,

I'd have to disagree with you there. I honestly think Montana would be one of the best choices. Sure, she cant overmatch almost everything like Yamato, but she can still overmatch the most annoying CAs without any problems. Guns that are accurate at any range, good aa, good damage con, and she can actually brawl pretty good if you know what you're doing. Basically Montana is just good all around with no real weakness. All the other tier X bbs have more distinct strengths and weaknesses. GK is great at brawling and hard to citadel, but cant reliably hit things past 14km or so. Yamato has great guns, but is slow, and easy to focus down. Conq has great HE and can deal ALOT of damage with good concealment to boot. But, she can be focused down pretty easily if she overcommits or her team isn't very good. Sure, I wouldn't say Montana is really the best at any one thing, but there isn't anything she is bad at either, which I think makes her a good choice. I also have Ohio, so I'll be seeing which one works better for me. Also, despite only having 406mm guns, she's actually tied with a 420mm armed GK as having the highest potential alpha strike in game, but she also fires faster than a GK with 420s.

Edited by admiralsexybeast
  • Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,169 posts
13,352 battles
5 minutes ago, admiralsexybeast said:

I'd have to disagree with you there. I honestly think Montana would be one of the best choices. Sure, she cant overmatch almost everything like Yamato, but she can still overmatch the most annoying CAs without any problems. Guns that are accurate at any range, good aa, good damage con, and she can actually brawl pretty good if you know what you're doing. Basically Montana is just good all around with no real weakness. All the other tier X bbs have more distinct strengths and weaknesses. GK is great at brawling and hard to citadel, but cant reliably hit things past 14km or so. Yamato has great guns, but is slow, and easy to focus down. Conq has great HE and can deal ALOT of damage with good concealment to boot. But, she can be focused down pretty easily if she overcommits or her team isn't very good. Sure, I wouldn't say Montana is really the best at any one thing, but there isn't anything she is bad at either, which I think makes her a good choice. I also have Ohio, so I'll be seeing which one works better for me. Also, despite only having 406mm guns, she's actually tied with a 420mm armed GK as having the highest potential alpha strike in game, but she also fires faster than a GK with 420s.

The Montana is a Swiss Army knife and does everything well but not great.

[SKDSH]
Members
446 posts
8,617 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

The Montana is a Swiss Army knife and does everything well but not great.

That's what I love about her! Still my favorite tech tree tier 10!

• Cool 1

[RNDM]
Members
362 posts
6,848 battles

Worst ships for this season of tier X ranked:

Smolensk

Kremlin

Submarines

These ships are all horrible and should not be played. They under preform really bad in Ranked, especially arms race. The buffs provided in the game mode do not help these ships as much as others.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[SKDSH]
Members
446 posts
8,617 battles
2 minutes ago, Florendo19 said:

Smolensk

Are they ever going to add that extra belt armor so I can get something other than overpens when I shoot it? Making that thing a coal ship was a bad idea. Smolensk should be for steel and Neustrashimy should be for coal.

Edited by admiralsexybeast

[USA-N]
Members
479 posts
5,179 battles

The Zao will be weak, due to CVs. It has a tiny HP store (about 40k, or tier 8 levels), and needs to show full broadside to use its torps.

Basically, the Zao needs stealth to play to its strengths, and with CVs in play, there wont be any of that. Also, it has no radar or smoke, so...... it's been power crept very hard. No radar, no smoke, very low health, slow reload. Is the Zao even a tier 10 these days?

Likewise, torp focused DDs will be easily spotted, and so will their torps. Fast moving HE spammers (Kleber) and long smoke (Gearing) might be the stronger choice for DDs.

Ships with weak AA are naturally going to be targeted first by CVs.

The French BB will burn down easy. The Monty is very weak these days.

I'd say we will see a lot of Conquerers, Smols, Des Moines, Stalingrads, Klebers and Gearings.

[RNDM]
Members
362 posts
6,848 battles
1 minute ago, admiralsexybeast said:

Are they ever going to add that extra belt armor so I can get something other than overpens when I shoot it?

Like I said, its clearly under preforming

[BUOY]
Members
640 posts
11,915 battles

The worst ships you'll probably see are Minos and Smols played by potatoes who will get 20k damage against a Kremlin or something before dying because they thought their smoke screen was an impenetrable forcefield. That and Y0L0 DD's especially in an Arms Race mode that encourages it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,169 posts
13,352 battles
8 minutes ago, SidTheBlade said:

The Zao will be weak, due to CVs. It has a tiny HP store (about 40k, or tier 8 levels), and needs to show full broadside to use its torps.

Basically, the Zao needs stealth to play to its strengths, and with CVs in play, there wont be any of that. Also, it has no radar or smoke, so...... it's been power crept very hard. No radar, no smoke, very low health, slow reload. Is the Zao even a tier 10 these days?

Likewise, torp focused DDs will be easily spotted, and so will their torps. Fast moving HE spammers (Kleber) and long smoke (Gearing) might be the stronger choice for DDs.

Ships with weak AA are naturally going to be targeted first by CVs.

The French BB will burn down easy. The Monty is very weak these days.

I'd say we will see a lot of Conquerers, Smols, Des Moines, Stalingrads, Klebers and Gearings.

One CV can only be in one place at a time and most CV's, good player bad player it doesn't matter, I see pick an area and operate there until the area is clear of red ships so a smart DD player goes where the CV's planes are not.

• Boring 1

[SUCIT]
Members
748 posts
16,587 battles
3 minutes ago, Florendo19 said:

Worst ships for this season of tier X ranked:

Smolensk

Kremlin

Submarines

A man can dream about not seeing many of those, can he.

As for poor choices:

DDs: Yueyang, still in the same state of screwed over since 2018. Khaba, no, Kleber does everything better. Haragumo might fall into this place too considering she eats BB AP and turns more like a dump truck than a DD. Also, if CVs are popular just forget everything here except Gearing and Grozovoi, and perhaps Smaland and Halland if they get to see action this season.

Cruisers: if it relies on long range passive play and has not that great stealth, I wouldn't bother

BBs: Kremlin, do I need to say anything else? Although on PTS, Bourgogne gave me success, as did Kurfurst, because Arms Race plays into German BB strengths

CVs: Arms Race doesn't really fit CVs too well, so these might not be seen often, so games might actually be pure and enjoyable.

[USA-N]
Members
479 posts
5,179 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

One CV can only be in one place at a time and most CV's, good player bad player it doesn't matter, I see pick an area and operate there until the area is clear of red ships so a smart DD player goes where the CV's planes are not.

Sure, but 7 v 7 is a pretty small map. One CV for 7 is pretty much the same as 2 for 12, which is the random equivalent.

I predict this season will be toxic, due to the salt created by CVs.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
12,022 posts
19 minutes ago, admiralsexybeast said:

Are they ever going to add that extra belt armor so I can get something other than overpens when I shoot it? Making that thing a coal ship was a bad idea. Smolensk should be for steel and Neustrashimy should be for coal.

0.9.3 is set to "nerf" the Smolly by reducing the armor.

Yeah.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,169 posts
13,352 battles
7 minutes ago, SidTheBlade said:

Sure, but 7 v 7 is a pretty small map. One CV for 7 is pretty much the same as 2 for 12, which is the random equivalent.

I predict this season will be toxic, due to the salt created by CVs.

It would be toxic without CV's, it is the nature of ranked because of how it is set up.

Edited by BrushWolf

[VETSN]
Members
1,193 posts
7,976 battles

I plan to bring my Z52 into this season, with my 69% WR, because that’s a lucky F’n number, and cap control will be key.

• Cool 1

[TNG]
Members
110 posts
13,132 battles

In Arms race... speed / anti-DD play is huge.  You'll also be contending with CV.  Sooooo..... with that meta in mind

Strong DD: Grozovoi, Gearing, Daring, Kleber

Weak DD: Shimakaze, Harugumo, Somers, Yueyang, Z-52, Khaba

If a CV is in game, Kleber might have a problem, but it's ability to get capture area buffs is going to be huge for the team it's on.  Somers is going to have real trouble fighting other DDs and has no AA, so although I like her a lot, in a CV meta with lots of other DDs,... she'll be somewhat weak.

Strong CA: Basically, if it has radar.

Strong BB: Kremlin & Ohio... end game will always be a brawl... so maybe Kurfurst.

[AAA]
Members
1,022 posts
11,081 battles
15 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

I plan to bring my Z52 into this season, with my 69% WR, because that’s a lucky F’n number, and cap control will be key.

Well it’s arms race and the only cap appears 10 min in

[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,249 posts
12,934 battles

Its Arms Race, but with a twist.  It appears they might have done away with concealment bonuses.  This leaves the most valuable objectives being HP regeneration and weapon DPM bonuses.  CVs will be interesting because they get both a 1% HP regen rate and 5% off aircraft restore rates.  Not huge but remember they stack up, but I think CVs are going to be the best late game powerhouse, particularly if their team picked up several of these bonuses.

Any of the CVs will be good.  Which one is best will depend on the meta.  Hak is probably king against CA heavy teams while Audacious superior against DD heavy teams.

The BBs are mostly the same.  Its going to depend more upon your ability to hit your shots, get good angles and how well you can impose your control on the map.  

Radar CAs I rate as having more impact than HE spammers from range.  Radar can be a huge asset keeping enemy DDs out of objectives or punishing a DD that yolos an objective.  CAs without radar boils down to their ability to deal large amounts of game changing damage quickly while not dying.  If you cant put up disgusting numbers in a hurry probably best to steer clear.

Any of the DDs can work however some I think are going to be more challenging than others.  Sneaky DDs like Shima, LU Gearing, etc will be able to use their concealment to zone out the enemy away from objectives.  More visible DDs like Khaba, Kleber, and Harugumo will require a damage focused play style, meaning you are at the whims of your sneakier DDs to take objectives in most cases.  These DDs will be great when pared with a spotter to cover an objective like a sneaky DD, radar or CVs.  The weakest ship I feel is Yue Yang.  She lacks either gun or torp DPM depending on how you build her, something is always going to be lacking.  With faster CV regen and HP recovery I would avoid radar options and instead take smoke.

• Cool 1

[AAA]
Members
1,022 posts
11,081 battles

Last arms race ranked was t9 and dds were strong. Curious to see if this changes 

[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,249 posts
12,934 battles
5 minutes ago, Heed_04 said:

In Arms race... speed / anti-DD play is huge.  You'll also be contending with CV.  Sooooo..... with that meta in mind

Strong DD: Grozovoi, Gearing, Daring, Kleber

Weak DD: Shimakaze, Harugumo, Somers, Yueyang, Z-52, Khaba

If a CV is in game, Kleber might have a problem, but it's ability to get capture area buffs is going to be huge for the team it's on.  Somers is going to have real trouble fighting other DDs and has no AA, so although I like her a lot, in a CV meta with lots of other DDs,... she'll be somewhat weak.

Strong CA: Basically, if it has radar.

Strong BB: Kremlin & Ohio... end game will always be a brawl... so maybe Kurfurst.

Kleber likely will not be able to rush objectives as you expect.  Last Arms Race objectives were timed where all DDs could get to a cap before it opened.  Kleber is going to get driven off early at caps IMO losing lots of HP if played that way.  Better to use hem to ambush an enemy DD with radar, planes or your own sneaky DD.

• Cool 1

[AAA]
Members
510 posts
9,173 battles
1 hour ago, PotatoMD said:

For DDs: I'd say YueYang, it's just underwhelming. At least Z-52 has the hydro gimmick. 

For CAs: Probably the large, squishy ones with no utility. Aka Yoshino. 

For BBs: I dunno, maybe Montana, it isn't bad, but there are many better choices.

For CVs: There aren't any bad T10 CVs lol. Anyone but the Hakuryuu I guess, since Hak is the most broken

YueYang is a great pick if you know how to play it. But it is tricky if you don't

Edited by Gospel_

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,630 posts
12,775 battles
2 hours ago, PotatoMD said:

gimmick

You read my mind. I am coming to the consensus for ranked or small battles where there will be a need for cap control with strangers.

A gimmick ship will have a odds on favorite of winning than a non gimmick ship. There are exceptions to every rule. However DD's for example. A high DPS, radar, hydro, heal will usually come out on top. 

Cruisers I am not qualified to answer as I have recently stopped playing them. It's not the ship, it's me. However I would guess Moskva, Stalingrad, PR, Colbert Yoshino, Zao, and Henri

Battleships hydro is handy in a torpedo environment. 0-60 in 3 seconds is nice. Super tanky armor. Last but not least op gunnery a fire for every shell hit or laser like accuracy.

CV's

IJN

USN

RN.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776