You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MaxMcKay

Why is it the same clique that always attacks any cv thread?

127 comments in this topic

[-N-]
Alpha Tester
813 posts

I've put a thread up recently about my thoughts on a few subjects and was immediately bombarded by a small group of form posters that, did not challenge my thoughts on things.  They just attacked the CV portion of things.  So I got curious and started looking through CV threads.  Shockingly these self same people are attacking any thread that is positive about CV's. Now I've had a great discussion with one of them, whom I do have a small disagreement with but found myself respecting their thoughts if not their argument.  The strange thing is as others saw the constant answering I was having to do about a myriad of subjects contending with my thoughts, I slowly saw others starting to weigh in on each side.  Most of these people were calmly talking about the differences of the issue.  Yet this same clique was continuing to shift goal posts, not accept replies as valid all the while brow beating the people contesting them, with the person I spoke of earlier at least being very polite about it.

So I'm curious, how much honestly is there really for the hate of a CV, why are CV's spotting being the only thing compared vs any other ships ability to spot more constantly?

The damage of a CV being burst vs maintained or alpha strikes of surface ships?

Also why is the mere mention of the growing power creep of HE spamming ships, and the unlimited fires they produce being pushed off and being almost a taboo subject.  The ol timers will remember we've had entire ships ROF neutered because of this.  Those ships are STILL neutered to this day.  Yet the more new versions of all different classes that are like this, are allowed to continue operating and being added to.  Which leads back to the issue with fire damage, being nearly unlimited due to never being able to control the amount of fires on board due to HE spam.

Honest thoughts would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you for your time!

• Cool 5
  • Boring 9

Members
6,858 posts
15,340 battles

Cvs are hated because they are a brain dead class of ship easily played by fatuous players that negates any tactical intelligence by players. You can do little to counter it besides ball up with other ships, a tactic known as a lemming train, that has been ballyhooed as a losing strat from the beginning of the game. 

WG marketed this as a thinking man's game but has steadily been removing all thought from actual game play. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 29
  • Boring 19

Members
3,583 posts
12,963 battles

People just dont like CVs. Ill just leave it at that. Im mostly indifferent to them, but I dont really play DDs anymore (it sucks to be DD with CVs every game, ill acknowledge that). 

Edited by Rollingonit

Members
3,087 posts
564 battles
11 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Cvs are hated because they are a brain dead class of ship easily played by brain dead players that negates any tactical intelligence by players. You can do little to counter it besides ball up with other ships, a tactic known as a lemming train, that has been ballyhooed as a losing strat from the beginning of the game. 

WG marketed this as a thinking man's game but has steadily been removing all thought from actual game play. 

1vyiT0J.gif

Edited by neptunes_wrath
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
9,228 battles

trolls r us.

The OP is "shocked" (we are all SHOCKED!!) that people are criticising CVs. The OP doesn't understand, says the OP.

"I just want to understand." says the OP.

Phhht.

Even blind dogs in Mongolia knows why folks loath CVs. They are a global meme. The claim to not understand why they are hated is manifestly dishonest.

So is the attempt to claim that only a small group of people dislike the CV class. This claim is fabricated, and deeply dishonest. It is a sly attempt to shape a false narrative.

And, of course, troll for grief.

CVs are plain nasty. 

• Cool 6
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 5

[HEROS]
Members
1,990 posts
17,612 battles

cuz... reasons? I personally hate and despise CV's but only because in their current form with me a DD main..that can make my life miserable all out of proportion to the player skill needed to run 'em.. ie: not much.

To be a good DD player.. there is so much you have to know.. the higher the tier the more you need to know.. and then along comes some CV player with less that a 1000 game total in a tier VI or VIII or X match and just utterly ruins your day.   And that's the ones who barely know what they are doing.

*sigh*

In retrospect I much prefer the old RTS style of CV play.  At least they you knew had to work for it and because they could run out of planes it was possible to survive sometimes.   A truly good CV player was a frightful thing to come up against, but now as a DD I can be taken out by a rank amature who just keep coming for me.  And the only reason he's coming after me is I'm the easiest thing to kill out there.

But I understand totally it being the same over all group of people..  Really shouldn't be a surprise.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,352 posts
20,042 battles

The only thing worse than a CV player

bXOm9kJ.gif.52fcfdc62a5ca254530391262256f59c.gif

Is a Bad CV player

And thanks to the rework everybody can play them

Edited by NoLoveForPhatShips
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
9,228 battles

Why can't CVs be optional?

Because then nobody would play with those people, and WG would lose a revenue stream.

Duh.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,214 posts
9,362 battles
10 minutes ago, SidTheBlade said:

The OP is "shocked"

OP is a troll.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

Members
740 posts
9,789 battles

Well I can  only speak for myself, but I just don't like CVs.  I never did to be honest but I dislike them much more now.  I've made my arguments since the rework was introduced on PTS and reached a point awhile back where I stopped caring and just accepted the fact that CVs, broken as they are, are here to stay.  I don't like the game as much and play less than I used to which means I spend less money on the game but WG seems to be okay with that so...

As for spotting, that's my number one complaint.  There is no spotting range for a CV.  Planes can go anywhere on the map very quickly and there's no recourse to the opposing player.  Back in the day a CV skipper could at least dispatch a squadron of fighters to run planes off but now that is no longer an option.  There is literally no counter play at all vs CV spotting short of hoping they decide not to focus on your ship.   I think spotting overall is in a very sorry state and needs significant changes but I haven't heard a peep from WG about that so  guess there's nothing in the works to address the issue.  I think doing something about it though could go a long way toward addressing the issue of CV spotting though.

I also don't have a problem with any and all nerfs to the amount of damage a cv can do since there is ZERO risk to their ship when they attack.  Every other class has to expose it's self to hostile fire when they use their guns.  Every one.  Not so with carriers.  And with proper management there is little to no down time for planes so the risk/reward is so significantly less when attacking with a CV than any other ship, doing less damage seems only right and proper although a damage nerf to CVs would not bother me in the least.

Finally, I haven't replied to a CV discussion thread in some time because I've made all my arguments already and the whole subject just bores me now.  So I don't know if I'm included in the group you are talking about or not.  All I can say for certain is that I don't like CVs, wish they would roll them back to RTS and start the rework over from scratch and live in dread of the day when subs are introduced.  That may be the straw that breaks this camels' back but we'll have to wait and see.

• Boring 1

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,352 posts
20,042 battles
3 minutes ago, SidTheBlade said:

Why can't CVs be optional?

Because then nobody would play with those people, and WG would lose a revenue stream.

Duh.

We need to coddle them and keep them protected Don't forget to make sure you hug your fellow CV player next time you see one

They have very fragile egos

Edited by NoLoveForPhatShips
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,352 posts
20,042 battles
2 minutes ago, vak_ said:

OP is a troll.

Yes and not a very good one either

WG we need better trolls

[BONKS]
Members
1,493 posts
50 battles

The reason you see largely the same people arguing against and in favor of CVs is because they're regular forum visitors. Nothing more, nothing less. The same thing can happen with any topic, really. It has very little to do with the thoughts of the general population or anything else as the amount of forum users is inevitably smaller than the overall amount of players.

Imagine the forum is a bar. You have the regulars who will visit for a drink on a regular basis and you have people who come and go. By becoming a regular visitor yourself you will eventually start to notice who is a regular and who isn't.

Simple as that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Cool 5

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,093 posts
19,199 battles
34 minutes ago, MaxMcKay said:

Honest thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Here is an honest thought; you tried to bait the Forum and instead got "B" slapped by every poster who answered you; are those the same posters who are attacking every poor pro-CV thread? Bottom line; CVs are OP, out of control, ruining the game, and need to be either seriously rebalanced or removed. Deal with it. And QUIT BEGGING!!

• Cool 3
  • Boring 4

[SALVO]
Members
1,990 posts
6,186 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

The same thing can happen with any topic, really.

Not just any topic.  It happens on any given forum. Including the most tightly monitored. 

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,352 posts
20,042 battles

Look the OP is getting trashed again quick edit the title so he can use the victim card again

giphy_11.gif

• Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,420 posts
14,165 battles
18 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

cuz... reasons? I personally hate and despise CV's but only because in their current form with me a DD main..that can make my life miserable all out of proportion to the player skill needed to run 'em.. ie: not much.

To be a good DD player.. there is so much you have to know.. the higher the tier the more you need to know.. and then along comes some CV player with less that a 1000 game total in a tier VI or VIII or X match and just utterly ruins your day.   And that's the ones who barely know what they are doing.

*sigh*

In retrospect I much prefer the old RTS style of CV play.  At least they you knew had to work for it and because they could run out of planes it was possible to survive sometimes.   A truly good CV player was a frightful thing to come up against, but now as a DD I can be taken out by a rank amature who just keep coming for me.  And the only reason he's coming after me is I'm the easiest thing to kill out there.

But I understand totally it being the same over all group of people..  Really shouldn't be a surprise.

A single RTS CV could do three times the scouting of one rework CV and without having to worry about stumbling onto a ship with low detection and strong AA because they zigged instead of zagging when they were detected and they saw all ships long before they were in AA range.

• Cool 3

[GOOF]
Members
669 posts
5,882 battles

I feel like people continue to post about cv is because there has been no attempt to balance cv at all.

People aren't seeing a change in cv dominating games.

That said I have seen DDS dominate games seen bbs dominate games. When cv can clean the map and spot the map it's a problem 

0 posts
53 minutes ago, MaxMcKay said:

I've put a thread up recently about my thoughts on a few subjects and was immediately bombarded by a small group of form posters that, did not challenge my thoughts on things.  They just attacked the CV portion of things

but your OP only concerns, CVs :

53 minutes ago, MaxMcKay said:

So I'm curious, how much honestly is there really for the hate of a CV, why are CV's spotting being the only thing compared vs any other ships ability to spot more constantly?

The damage of a CV being burst vs maintained or alpha strikes of surface ships?

Thus players will only address, on topic, CV things.

For an Alpha tester, who has been with the game for 5 years, with so little forum activity (100 posts a year, considering the time period), to suddenly show interest in CVs, and to complain about how CV discussions go, is mighty suspicious. That or the OP really is inexperienced in handling forum discussions.

0 posts

So I have done some digging into the OPs forum profile, Alpha tester flag, so the account exists since 2015, 1st post on the NA forum, ever : January 13, 2019.

472 posts in the space of one month, most of those posts in the past 7 days/

Calling this/

[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,363 battles
3 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

So I have done some digging into the OPs forum profile, Alpha tester flag, so the account exists since 2015, 1st post on the NA forum, ever : January 13, 2019.

472 posts in the space of one month, most of those posts in the past 7 days/

Calling this/

It's 2020

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
3,583 posts
12,963 battles
Just now, LadyAnesjka said:

It's 2020

Hahaha, good times, good times. (no offense Lovebote, just made me chuckle; I lose track of the years as well)

Edited by Rollingonit

0 posts
4 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Hahaha, good times, good times. (no offense Lovebote, just made me chuckle; I lose track of the years as well)

4 minutes ago, LadyAnesjka said:

It's 2020

I'm getting old...

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,363 battles
5 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I'm getting old...

Is okej, we not all spring chicken much anymore :(

• Funny 2

[-N-]
Alpha Tester
813 posts
14 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

but your OP only concerns, CVs :

Thus players will only address, on topic, CV things.

For an Alpha tester, who has been with the game for 5 years, with so little forum activity (100 posts a year, considering the time period), to suddenly show interest in CVs, and to complain about how CV discussions go, is mighty suspicious. That or the OP really is inexperienced in handling forum discussions.

Actually my original post concerns HE spam and unlimited fires needing a rework.  It was dragged off into the small section I talked about CV's while Ignoring the major point of the post.

I bowed out of the forums due to issues back then about different things.  I've just decided to return to the forums bit by bit.  I've talked about these subjects in game instead of in here.  Now though I've got the time to actually fight the good fight and defend my thoughts and positions on something while trying to have a honest discussion.  What I've found though is shifting goal posts, side tracking, denial, etc for the most part.  Some have been honestly great conversations.  Others did concentrate on the CV part of my statement in an attempt to cloud the OP topic.  

Why is my posting habits being used as any type of marker for my thoughts?  This would be like some one being suspect because they don't talk often but when they do you find they've thought the situation through enough to make a informed argument about the topic they are discussing. All in all though your thoughts on the actual OP that this clique obfuscating would be appreciated.

• Funny 1