Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
murder_0ne

FXP to Rebuplique? Alsace unplayable with 1.6 sigma

35 comments in this topic

[LZ1]
Members
258 posts
5,723 battles

Is the Republique worth the effort or should I just go after something else? I have the Dunkerque, Richelieu and Jean Bart. The Dunkerque is borderline with its 1.7 sigma but the Alsace is just unplayable with 1.6. I line up perfect shots and it just hits everywhere around the target except the ship I'm aiming at. At every range- from 5km to 18km and everywhere in between. It should have at least 1.7 sigma, maybe 1.8.

So anyway, is it worth the grind for the Republique? Right now I'm looking at the 5 Tier 10 BBs and the Richelieu and JB really suit my playstyle- aggressive and dynamic, but the Alsace is just too inaccurate. Would I be better off with the GK? I tried the Lion and Sov Soyuz and given up on the Yamato and Montana as I don't think they're suited to my play style really. The Soyuz is okay but it's really clumsy and not very quick.

[CVA16]
Members
5,384 posts
16,169 battles

My frustration with French BB guns started much earlier. So many well aimed shots with just splashes all around. Here is the typical dispersion pattern for my French BBs.:cap_haloween: Republique is actually a bit better better than its predicessors. At least it feels better.

2121761033_dispersion_FrenchBB.png.1d891142ada63b2556205ccdf47c1f47.png

• Cool 1

[FLOTR]
Members
180 posts

Why not the Kremlin? Also the Lenin is decent for aggressive but not potato stupid pushing type gameplay. 

Members
4,349 posts
11,237 battles

Between GK and Republique, GK is probably a better ship if you like really aggressive BBs, but in the current HE spam meta at high tiers it really suffers trying to get into brawling range where it’s effective. Republique is a dynamic flanker like JB and the rest of the high tier French BBs, with very accurate cruiser killing guns and a shorter stock reload than any other battleships at that tier. 

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,384 posts
16,169 battles
Just now, wiztaxi said:

Why not the Kremlin? Also the Lenin is decent for aggressive but not potato stupid pushing type gameplay. 

True, if you are looking for the best BB line, the Soviet line is the one.

If you are looking for a brawling BB line,  Alsace and Repub are actually decent with secondaries.

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles

If you aren't using Alsace's secondaries, you're doing it wrong. The ship was designed in game to all but force you to use them to get damage.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,398 posts
15,799 battles

Never use FXP to skip ships. Modules maybe but never ships.

• Cool 1

Members
1,356 posts
1,286 battles
2 minutes ago, TheKrimzonD3mon said:

If you aren't using Alsace's secondaries, you're doing it wrong. The ship was designed in game to all but force you to use them to get damage.

lol nah

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,607 posts
10,459 battles

Alsace has always been a ship that requires you to get into brawling range.  Outside that range, you are going to experience bounces and scatter shots.  Inside that range, you become a terror.  It is one of the better T9 battle ships in the game, bested only by the Premiums.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

When i played was pretty good ship, yes the guns are a little troll, but still decent and hit pretty hard. Because of the low calliber, you often needs to change between AP/HE. Get a tanky/survivability build with FP, Alsace melts under HE, same thing with Republique. 

[LEGIT]
Members
2,330 posts
31,754 battles
18 minutes ago, paradat said:

Never use FXP to skip ships. Modules maybe but never ships.

I tried the Izumo before its buff.  I played and dutifully upgraded it, and I still couldn't hit an island with its rifles.  I free XP past it then.

And I free XP past Emerald when I reset the RN CL line - and skip T1 thru T4 but I know that's not what you mean.

Some ships are just tough for me to spend time on once I've tried 'em, but your statement is true.

Edited by slokill_1

[CHASE]
[CHASE]
Beta Testers
391 posts
11,770 battles
20 minutes ago, TheKrimzonD3mon said:

um...doesn't Alsace only have 100mm secondaries? they can't even pen 19mm, which means you can only do fire damage with them. Plus you are covered in 32mm armor, so getting in close will be costly to any type of HE spam. The French is not designed to be brawler, their armor just too weak.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,398 posts
15,799 battles
1 minute ago, slokill_1 said:

I tried the Izumo before its buff.  I played and dutifully upgraded it, and I still couldn't hit an island with its rifles.  I free XP past it then.

And I free XP past Emerald when I reset the RN CL line - and skip T1 thru T4 but I know that's not what you mean.

Some ships are just tough for me to spend time on once I've tried 'em, but your statement is true.

No worries it is understandable. I like to look at ships like that as a challenge to improve. How do I make this ship work? Sometimes for me it is not the ship but it is me. Some ships require a change in playstyle that is not always obvious. If you still hate the ship just take your time, use flags and only play for the first win of the day bonus. No need to hurry. Save that free XP for the FXP ships or potentially unique opportunities that pop up now and then.

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles
1 hour ago, axyarthur said:

um...doesn't Alsace only have 100mm secondaries? they can't even pen 19mm, which means you can only do fire damage with them. Plus you are covered in 32mm armor, so getting in close will be costly to any type of HE spam. The French is not designed to be brawler, their armor just too weak.

100% incorrect, because IFHE. Also, French BBs brawl very well, they were, in fact, designed to brawl  in game, as we've known since the day they were announced. They were always meant to be brawlers, and brawling is what they do best. From the T6 on up, closer is better. Richie doesnt play like JB, just so you know. The French BB's farm CQE's from T6 on.

Edited by TheKrimzonD3mon

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles
12 minutes ago, TheKrimzonD3mon said:

100% incorrect, because IFHE. Also, French BBs brawl very well, they were, in fact, designed to brawl  in game, as we've known since the day they were announced. They were always meant to be brawlers, and brawling is what they do best. From the T6 on up, closer is better. Richie doesnt play like JB, just so you know. The French BB's farm CQE's from T6 on.

Even with IFHE they only go up to 22mm, that's not enough to even pen cruiser armor. 

Members
1,356 posts
1,286 battles
18 minutes ago, TheKrimzonD3mon said:

the bulk of Alsace's secondaries are 100mm, so even with IFHE you're only getting 21mm of pen which is useless. Alsace's entire hull is covered by 32mm armor so you're going to get overmatched by BB AP and ripped apart by cruiser HE anywhere it hits you. You have no idea what you're talking about. Brawling is the last thing these ships should be doing.

[THREE]
Members
2,142 posts
10,901 battles
1 hour ago, axyarthur said:

Spec for fires, not IFHE. I think my record for fires set is 16-17. Take Aim module instead of secondary mod, but do take AFT, gun range is still 9.9, w/ flags of course.

[THREE]
Members
2,142 posts
10,901 battles
14 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

the bulk of Alsace's secondaries are 100mm, so even with IFHE you're only getting 21mm of pen which is useless. Alsace's entire hull is covered by 32mm armor so you're going to get overmatched by BB AP and ripped apart by cruiser HE anywhere it hits you. You have no idea what you're talking about. Brawling is the last thing these ships should be doing.

See my post above this one.

Members
1,356 posts
1,286 battles
4 minutes ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

See my post above this one.

Your post above doesn't explain how a BB with its entire hull protected only by 32mm of armor is going to survive trying to brawl. I can only imagine you were also slinging HE with your main guns to get that many fires because an Alsace isn't going to last fighting other ships in 9.9km range

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles
32 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Seeing as how I play her within 10km of everything, survive and win, I know exactly what I'm talking about. Just because you can't make them work as they're intended to work doesn't make me wrong, it just means you can't do it.

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles
43 minutes ago, Tekina_ said:

Even with IFHE they only go up to 22mm, that's not enough to even pen cruiser armor. 

It pens far more than you seem to understand.

Members
1,356 posts
1,286 battles
27 minutes ago, TheKrimzonD3mon said:

Seeing as how I play her within 10km of everything, survive and win, I know exactly what I'm talking about. Just because you can't make them work as they're intended to work doesn't make me wrong, it just means you can't do it.

You do 67k average damage with the ship and have a 1239 PR in it. That's bad. The only reason you "survive and win" is because you now play exclusively in divisions that carry you.

And no, you clearly don't know what you're talking about because you're running IFHE on secondaries that get no benefit from it.

Here are my solo stats in the ship:

image.thumb.png.d2104fbac4a08bfa5fab7a2d04c36b06.png

Far from a super unicum, but please don't tell me I don't know how to make the ship work while I'm averaging double your kills.

Edited by USS_Taylor_Swift
  • Boring 1

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
9,223 battles

The nerf to the Kremlin sigma is real. I shot a salvo at a Graf Zep (CV) at 16km range, and then watched the shells plop into the water all around it. In front, behind, to both sides. Hit nuthin.

Hilarious stuff.

Sign in to follow this