You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

3rd set of directives

36 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

The most powerful ships of the Kriegsmarine were out in force yesterday chasing the 1200 secondary hits. While the Massachusetts was a common sight, I don't think I was in a random or coop without at least 2 German BB's.

My Bismarck & Tirpitz took part in the festivities also. It was strange in that the Bismarck could not get 100 secondary hits in a single coop. The ships were all over the map. The Tirpitz was averaging 3 times as many. The ships were bunched up together. Coops usually don't last long enough to chase ships all over the map.

It wasn't an easy day to get the incapacitation ribbons either, at least for the matches I was in. DD's were pounced on quickly. Incapacitations on cruisers & BB's were elusive, at least for me.

The 2500 FXP is the only reason I would like to get the 850 main battery hits with a DD. I got 2 weeks to work on it so no need to  make it a grind.

[SIMP]
Members
1,301 posts
10,775 battles

Play early in the morning, more bots, less humans.

Good luck!

[WOLFG]
Members
9,625 posts
8,610 battles

I don't have any real gunboat DDs, but Monaghan and T-61 with the 3.6 second reload can pile them up pretty quickly.

The only secondary BB I have is the JB, but those popguns don't do much.  Plus the layout is poor.  I'll get the credits and kills done first.

Members
6,860 posts
15,357 battles
10 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I don't have any real gunboat DDs, but Monaghan and T-61 with the 3.6 second reload can pile them up pretty quickly.

The only secondary BB I have is the JB, but those popguns don't do much.  Plus the layout is poor.  I'll get the credits and kills done first.

It goes fast enough in reverse... :D

[ARGSY]
Members
20,168 posts
14,340 battles
7 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

but those popguns don't do much.  Plus the layout is poor. 

Those popguns did it for me with no problems at all. Sure, I had to run a few battles, but a knock-down, drag-out brawl in the JB is one of life's simple pleasures. How do you have the captain and the ship set up? (Mine started out as a scratch captain for secondary LULZ, but getting the Jean Bart breathed new life into his career. He currently has more points than Jean-Jacques Honore, who is rotting in the Richelieu as it swings neglected around a buoy in Mers-El-Kebir, and he looks set to become my first French 19 pointer eventually.)

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

I'll get the credits and kills done first.

At first I was having trouble getting the kills. Once a ship lost half its HP everybody & their brother opened up on them. Finally I started getting the kill shot.

6 minutes ago, _cthulhu_ said:

Play early in the morning, more bots, less humans.

Good luck!

I got the 4  directives necessary to get the tokens yesterday.

Speaking of having bots on your team, I had more bots on my teams during the afternoon than normal.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,625 posts
8,610 battles
Just now, Ducky_shot said:

It goes fast enough in reverse... :D

Yes.

It works best sailing away from something that can't hurt it with guns, and doesn't have torps (Helenas are the best).

[WOLFG]
Members
9,625 posts
8,610 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Those popguns did it for me with no problems at all. Sure, I had to run a few battles, but a knock-down, drag-out brawl in the JB is one of life's simple pleasures. How do you have the captain and the ship set up? (Mine started out as a scratch captain for secondary LULZ, but getting the Jean Bart breathed new life into his career. He currently has more points than Jean-Jacques Honore, who is rotting in the Richelieu as it swings neglected around a buoy in Mers-El-Kebir, and he looks set to become my first French 19 pointer eventually.)

Survival.  I know it works, and would work better in a secondary build, but it is kind of situational.  I mean I got the 4500 secondary hit mission in the grind from hell Puerto Rico event done with the JB.  Building to take HE spam and waiting for the bots ships to turn broadside seems to work better for me.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,168 posts
14,340 battles
3 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

It works best sailing away from something that doesn't have torps

Fixed that for you.

I went for the full secondary meme build and accepted the decrease in survivability. (If I ever need it for serious competitive/T9 Ranked work, JJ Honore has the survival build.)

You pick your target, give it a thumping with the main guns, then sail on by. Because the secondaries are heavily biased sternwards, it brings to life the Monty Python meme:

I literally incinerate them with my French butt.

[SIMP]
Members
1,301 posts
10,775 battles
44 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

The JB is 2nd to the KM botes

Use engine boost at the start to get into brawling range and let them work.

The bots get weird when you do not shoot at them with your main batteries, last night I had a bot Thunderer sit 100m off my butt getting pummeled by my secondaries, it was busy shooting a target 15km away. I literally stopped in front of it and it parked.

Pretty funny to watch the bot programming in action!

300 something hits, I could have done more but my team started shooting it after killing all the other bots...

Edited by _cthulhu_

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
396 posts
11,071 battles

Finished all the Directive 3 missions in 1 day, actually did more.

Finished:

Battleships: Dangerous Enemy 1200 secondaries -- Scharnhorst

Cruisers: Destroying Modules 20 "Incap" --- Des Moines

Destroyers: High Caliber 850 Main Battery Hits -- Friesland

Destroyer The Enemy -- Destroy 24 ships -- Various ships, just played game and got it.

Refilling the Royal Treasury -- 5 Million Credits -- Various Ships, just played game and got it

The Wager XP (8500 exp?) -- One T10 game. I think I was playing the Minotaur

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
516 posts
5,029 battles
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

My highest tier dd is the Blyskawica but the shells are pretty floaty. I used the Podvoisky to great effect last night. Quick, nimble with good ballistics. Got up to just over 500 hits in a handful of games. One game was dd heavy with almost no torp use. Everybody was gunning. That was fun.

And I am loving my Scharnhorst more and more. My highest point Capt approaching 13, spec'd survival/secondaries. Got just under 600 of the 1200 needed. 

Edited by SkullCowboy_60

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
817 posts
9,709 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

The most powerful ships of the Kriegsmarine were out in force yesterday chasing the 1200 secondary hits. While the Massachusetts was a common sight, I don't think I was in a random or coop without at least 2 German BB's.

My Bismarck & Tirpitz took part in the festivities also. It was strange in that the Bismarck could not get 100 secondary hits in a single coop. The ships were all over the map. The Tirpitz was averaging 3 times as many. The ships were bunched up together. Coops usually don't last long enough to chase ships all over the map.

It wasn't an easy day to get the incapacitation ribbons either, at least for the matches I was in. DD's were pounced on quickly. Incapacitations on cruisers & BB's were elusive, at least for me.

The 2500 FXP is the only reason I would like to get the 850 main battery hits with a DD. I got 2 weeks to work on it so no need to  make it a grind.

It took me 3-4 Bismarck games to get the secondaries done. I use the full secondary meme build so reload is fast and accurate. I had over 300 hits one game and over 200 the others. But I was purposely extending games by not firing my main batteries almost at all

[-IA-]
Beta Testers
193 posts
5,623 battles

I'm not the best player but I was able to complete three of the four missions in about 2.5 hours in co-op.

Georgia for secondary hits

Smolensk for incapacitations, having DDs helped a lot, but even firing AP at cruiser turrets worked well too.

Kidd for main battery, I have 101 hits to go and will easily complete that tonight.

24 kills came with just playing.

I'm rather glad that these are going quickly as I will be at PAX East Thursday through Sunday so play time will be limited.

Anyway good luck to you! You'll have one less competitor after tonight!

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

Took my Bismarck out last night and averaged about 120 secondary hits per match.  Finished out the mission fairly quickly.

DD MB hits was pretty easy - Cossack is quickly becoming one of my more valuable DD's, especially since I paid 99 cents for it.

Finished off the 24 kills during the missions above.

I am going to skip the Cruiser mission as I have an unfair advantage in the credits department for the other mission: Missouri.

Could have finished out directive 3 last night, but real life commitments - should finish early tonight (half way to credits).

Members
3,101 posts
6,699 battles

I probably won't need to grind the secondary hits mission, even though that one is both easy and kind of fun. I'll do it eventually, but I've already done the cruiser incapacitation ribbon task (Smolensk vs. all the modules of Tier X destroyers in co-op), the destroyer main battery hit task (three games in Friesland), and the 5M credit task (acquired by flagging up as usual for Killer Whale and Aegis while simultaneously grinding daily containers and FXP for Smaland). I have eight kills left on the 24 kills task, which I will probably finish before I can finish the secondary hits task.

Super annoyed at the 6,500-BXP-in-one-battle task that could have been done in Narai if we had it but thanks to the Tier restriction cannot be done in any operation currently active and is therefore subject to the vagaries of random battles and the whims of RNGesus. That's really just one decent win in randoms with flags, but I don't like throwing away econ signals in randoms, so I am not actively trying to grind it.

[PVE]
Members
4,264 posts
18,658 battles
1 hour ago, Gemlin said:

Finished:

Battleships: Dangerous Enemy 1200 secondaries -- Scharnhorst & Tirpitz & Yammy

Cruisers: Destroying Modules 20 "Incap" --- Des Moines - ZAO, Ibuki, Mogami

Destroyers: High Caliber 850 Main Battery Hits -- Friesland - Haragumo, Kitakaze, Akazuki

Destroyer The Enemy -- Destroy 24 ships -- Various ships, just played game and got it.   - (the above mentioned ships and a few others)

Refilling the Royal Treasury -- 5 Million Credits -- Various Ships, just played game and got it - (the above mentioned ships and a few others)

Same here: 28 COOP games to get the required four.  The fifth, took 6 games more.....

I was lucky when I started this game because I received a gift of xmas boxes (2017) before my first real game and received 8 ships out of them:  the Scharnhorst and the Tirpitz were among them. 

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
55 minutes ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

It took me 3-4 Bismarck games to get the secondaries done. I use the full secondary meme build so reload is fast and accurate. I had over 300 hits one game and over 200 the others. But I was purposely extending games by not firing my main batteries almost at all

Most of the time my Bismarck delivers but yesterday the 3 times I took him the red ships were not close together. I would have done better if my teammates weren't so helpful when it came to sinking a ship. The Tirpitz was just the opposite. The secondaries pounded out over 100 hits on a CV before a Mass ended my fun from long range.

Same here: 28 COOP games to get the required four.

After I got the 4th directive completed I switched to randoms with my T9 & T10 US cruisers for the Halsey campaign. I need one more star before I get the final mission.

Congratz on you success yesterday, Well don.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,168 posts
14,340 battles
51 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

thanks to the Tier restriction cannot be done in any operation currently active and is therefore subject to the vagaries of random battles and the whims of RNGesus.

I came up about 150 short after my first team faceplanted (including me), and I would have done it if I'd taken Stars and Stripes instead of Union Jack camo. Screwed up my courage, flagged up even harder, the team pulled through and I came home with nearly 16K XP. It was worth the gamble, and it significantly advanced my Chapayev grind. I originally planned to be in the Donskoi by the end of this patch; now I'll likely be in the Donskoi by the end of this WEEK.

I don't div for serious business when I'm on call, and even if Narai had still been available (and in rotation), I currently regard operations as more of a failure risk than Randoms. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
3,101 posts
6,699 battles
22 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I came up about 150 short after my first team faceplanted (including me), and I would have done it if I'd taken Stars and Stripes instead of Union Jack camo. Screwed up my courage, flagged up even harder, the team pulled through and I came home with nearly 16K XP. It was worth the gamble, and it significantly advanced my Chapayev grind. I originally planned to be in the Donskoi by the end of this patch; now I'll likely be in the Donskoi by the end of this WEEK.

I don't div for serious business when I'm on call, and even if Narai had still been available (and in rotation), I currently regard operations as more of a failure risk than Randoms. 

I don't think I've ever gotten less than 6,500 XP in Narai, though, even with just standard econ signals and one off the top of my one-shot camos. I will probably do it when I have a little extra time. I made a bad decision and FXP'd through Moskva because I got tired of Chapayev, and now I need to power-grind 350k FXP to have 2M for Smaland when she shows up. Since she has directive tasks in 9.2 and therefore is likely to be out first, I decided to get her over Hayate. 

Beta Testers
899 posts
3,460 battles

The third set is ridiculously more blitzable than the second is. BB, CA and DD can be targeted but then CV is RNG and all thd others are either RNG and cooperation or require a ton of games. 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,919 posts
26,913 battles

Royal Treasury: Mighty Mo with some extra credit flags for a few times

DD mission: Harugumo, needed 2 matches

Cruiser mission: Salem, 3 matches

6500 XP in one battle: Ohio with premium time and some XP flags stacked, ultra EZ

[ARGSY]
Members
20,168 posts
14,340 battles
55 minutes ago, BlackAngelCom said:

but then CV is RNG

Torpedo hits are a matter of how well you aim them. Floods are the RNG. This directive, it's torpedo hits.

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
807 posts
7,176 battles

I'm a co-op main, so all my tasks have been completed there.

:DD:- I used Sims, Fletcher, Kidd, Gadjah Mada, and Błyskawica. This one didn't take too long.

:CA: - I played all my cruisers and this was the task I focused on first, with a preference towards the light cruisers. Think this took me 8 or 9 battles

:BB: - Used Massachusetts and Georgia, but mostly Georgia since she has batter firing angles on the secondaries. Full secondary spec on each ship.

:CV: - I played 4 battles last night, one each in Ranger, Ark Royal, Furious, and Lexington. Got 30 torpedo hits so far. Still working on flood ribbons from last week :fish_palm: