You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IcyThor

Hiding in smoke

15 comments in this topic

[DONUT]
Members
476 posts
6,730 battles

I left the game after the CV rework a year ago.  Now, I am back and things have changed.  I sit still in smoke and enemy ships at 5-10km target me with precision artillery.  What's happening? 

Icy

[5D2]
Members
165 posts
6,310 battles

The player base didn't stop playing a year ago and has gotten better at blind firing into smoke based on the shell tracers coming from the smoke(or based on a shell hit from previous salvo). Also inside that 5-10km range you could be in hydro or radar. No way for us to know without a replay.

• Cool 2

Members
127 posts
8,830 battles

Personally (and I play a lot of DDs and CLs with smoke) sitting still in smoke is a bad idea. Always stay in motion. Watch your timer and go dark with enough time to get clear. 

That is in addition to trying to stay at ranges greater than the enemy radar and hydro.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,225 battles

If you see guns pointed at you while in smoke, they are waiting for you to fire and thus give away your position. I do it all the time in my BBs, as I need to make the shot count.

[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,457 battles
3 hours ago, IcyThor said:

I left the game after the CV rework a year ago.  Now, I am back and things have changed.  I sit still in smoke and enemy ships at 5-10km target me with precision artillery.  What's happening? 

Icy

Also not mentioned yet, is the little circle on the mini map, so you can fire at or around the last known position.

• Cool 1

[DONUT]
Members
476 posts
6,730 battles
11 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Also not mentioned yet, is the little circle on the mini map, so you can fire at or around the last known position.

This seems to be more than spamming fire.  Its like they can see me.  Their shoots are precision accurate. 

[DONUT]
Members
476 posts
6,730 battles
14 hours ago, Kreigspelar said:

Personally (and I play a lot of DDs and CLs with smoke) sitting still in smoke is a bad idea. Always stay in motion. Watch your timer and go dark with enough time to get clear. 

That is in addition to trying to stay at ranges greater than the enemy radar and hydro.

Whats the range on radar and hydro? 

Members
127 posts
8,830 battles
4 hours ago, IcyThor said:

It differs by ship \ tier \ nation. The Soviet ships seem to have the best radar (surprise) and the Germans the best sonar. General rule for me is its not healthy to stay in smoke within 10 km of a ship with radar or 5km of one with hydro. You will have to research or learn by experience which ones have what. 

[DONUT]
Members
476 posts
6,730 battles

Interesting since the earliest research was in Germany and radar was perfected by the Brits. 

Thanks for your reply. 

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,193 battles

For one don't sit in smoke, always be moving. If DDs around pop hydro, watch out for torps. Don't sit broadside in smoke. Make as big a smoke bank as possible. Also turn off AA, enemy planes will trigger your AA if near enough and you will be spotted. And when moving in smoke don't move in a pattern, some BB or cruiser might be just sitting 15k away waiting for guns to reload and studying your movements from your gun tracers.

Also no use to smoke up if within radar range of any ship with it. As match loads up look at enemy ships, which have radar etc. Keep track of where they were last spotted on mini map. If one is missing be extra careful, he could be in your area. Have an exit strategy that provides close cover.

Members
1,045 posts
4,367 battles
1 hour ago, Frigate007 said:

For one don't sit in smoke, always be moving. If DDs around pop hydro, watch out for torps. Don't sit broadside in smoke. Make as big a smoke bank as possible. Also turn off AA, enemy planes will trigger your AA if near enough and you will be spotted. And when moving in smoke don't move in a pattern, some BB or cruiser might be just sitting 15k away waiting for guns to reload and studying your movements from your gun tracers.

Also no use to smoke up if within radar range of any ship with it. As match loads up look at enemy ships, which have radar etc. Keep track of where they were last spotted on mini map. If one is missing be extra careful, he could be in your area. Have an exit strategy that provides close cover.

This^^

Also, remember that, regardless of whether or not there are hydro or radar ships on the enemy team, Smokescreens are by far the largest torpedo magnets in the game. 

(Yes, even more lucrative than the channel on two brothers)

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
On 2/25/2020 at 3:32 PM, IcyThor said:

German hydro will generally pick you up at 6km. Most other hydro is generally in the 4-5 km range.

Most USN cruisers from tier 8 onward have 10.5km radar that lasts forever. Soviet cruisers from T8 on have 12km radar that lasts about as long as you did with your first serious girlfriend. 

Beware of higher tier Pan Asian DDs, especially Lo Yang. They have good hydro and will sneak up to your smoke with it. Ditto for Haida and German DDs from T6 on.

[DONUT]
Members
476 posts
6,730 battles
On 2/29/2020 at 3:53 PM, legozer said:

German hydro will generally pick you up at 6km. Most other hydro is generally in the 4-5 km range.

Most USN cruisers from tier 8 onward have 10.5km radar that lasts forever. Soviet cruisers from T8 on have 12km radar that lasts about as long as you did with your first serious girlfriend. 

Beware of higher tier Pan Asian DDs, especially Lo Yang. They have good hydro and will sneak up to your smoke with it. Ditto for Haida and German DDs from T6 on.

If I hide motionless behind an island will I still be detected by hydro?

If I fire my guns every ship within firing range will focus fire me.  Range of hydro and radar will often exceed torpedo range.  Seems like DD is becoming a suicide ship. 

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
7 hours ago, IcyThor said:

If I hide motionless behind an island will I still be detected by hydro?

If I fire my guns every ship within firing range will focus fire me.  Range of hydro and radar will often exceed torpedo range.  Seems like DD is becoming a suicide ship. 

Yes. Hydro will pick you up through islands. No, it doesn't exceed torpedo range unless you are in Soviet ships with 4 km torps.

Yes, recognizing when to hold fire and when it's safe to fire is the key to successful DD play.

[FLOTR]
Members
180 posts

He prolly got hydro'd and wasn't aware lulz. Tricky German mind trick.