You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USMC2145

This video explains all...

51 comments in this topic

Members
1,423 posts
7,116 battles

This video explains so much why this forum is filled with the threads it is filled with. 

Edited by USMC2145
  • Cool 19
  • Boring 5

Members
429 posts

I will bet this will bring on a lot of neg/boring emoji from... well you know who. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,384 posts
14,152 battles

While I feel for the elites the gaming companies need to offer their wares where the most players are and it is not the top players.

• Cool 3

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,028 posts
12,710 battles

Interesting, not sure I agree with much of it, but still an interesting way of looking at it.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles

The problem IMO, some people have a psychological need to be exclusive... HOWEVER, in a industry that is trying/moving to be more inclusive, which is sustainable for the long run..

In summery, game developers who dont adapt to the shift in the industry will cease to exist...

Gaming Companies dont cater to top players... They cater to the masses.

In WOWS, CV rework is a casualty to this.. IFHE is a casualty to this... Its the main reason WOWS has become a one ordnance gaming platform.

It is what it is...

• Cool 2

[DURPX]
Members
72 posts
4,733 battles

Thing is as companies move towards being more inclusive you see their stocks drop like rocks and new game releases just completely bomb.    "Single player is dead."  EA just had to eat a huge pile of crow over that with their newest SW game.   Say what you will but the pendulum is going to have to swing back the other direction.  Thing is as you get older you start to get away from video games and back into board and other table top games.  Lots of game companies are finally realizing that hey maybe we should give our players what they want... 

• Cool 1

[BLEP]
Members
541 posts
11,459 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

The problem IMO, some people have a psychological need to be exclusive... HOWEVER, in a industry that is trying/moving to be more inclusive, which is sustainable for the long run..

In summery, game developers who dont adapt to the shift in the industry will cease to exist...

In WOWS, CV rework is a casualty to this.. IFHE is a casualty to this... Its the main reason WOWS has become a one ordnance gaming platform.

It is what it is...

If things keep going the way they are i see the game becoming a single type of ship game.. BB? Who knows. 

55 minutes ago, Raytesh said:

Thing is as companies move towards being more inclusive you see their stocks drop like rocks and new game releases just completely bomb.    "Single player is dead."  EA just had to eat a huge pile of crow over that with their newest SW game.   Say what you will but the pendulum is going to have to swing back the other direction.  Thing is as you get older you start to get away from video games and back into board and other table top games.  Lots of game companies are finally realizing that hey maybe we should give our players what they want... 

Not all single player games are dead, but it is those that already have a big following that survive. I am not sure how the divide between the Hardcore elite gamer and casual will end.  I guess it will depend on how well gaming companies find ways to make both happy. They both spend money and both are important to the gaming world, but in different ways. 

Edited by Gospel_
  • Cool 2

[YORHA]
Members
4,991 posts
9,972 battles

There is absolutely nothing in this video I can disagree with.  It lays out exactly where WG is intentionally taking WoWs.

Very depressing.

• Cool 1

Members
28 posts
369 battles

I am one of those casual gamers and I agree with the video. I do not agree with much of what is said about casual gamers, but this time I really can not argue with his points. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,384 posts
14,152 battles
4 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

It is what it is...

I believe that it is possible to make a profit on a game designed for the elites but that is a small market. I also wonder how many of the elite would really like to give up being the big fish in a pond like this to become just one of the fish in a much smaller pond.

[TDRB]
Members
5,116 posts
13,727 battles

I believe that it is possible to make a profit on a game designed for the elites but that is a small market.

While it may be possible, I would say it is improbable.

I also wonder how many of the elite would really like to give up being the big fish in a pond like this to become just one of the fish in a much smaller pond.

While the pond will be smaller their will be big & small fish, the same as in the big pond. Some of those enjoying the elite status in the big pond will be little fish in the small pond.

I believe the World of Warships many remember is not what it actually the way it was.

Members
1,423 posts
7,116 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I believe that it is possible to make a profit on a game designed for the elites but that is a small market. I also wonder how many of the elite would really like to give up being the big fish in a pond like this to become just one of the fish in a much smaller pond.

I agree, but they could make part of their games that are for only the elites. Like WG could make a ranked that you can only be in with a certain amount of games played and a 50+% win average. Give that some better rewards when ranking and a better rank one award. I think that would make the casuals upset OR would it?

Edited by USMC2145

[USCC2]
Members
6,050 posts

:Smile_teethhappy: I think the commentator is trying too hard for those negative votes, and for me merely states his point of view. I disagree.

IMO a gamer is someone who earns money from gaming, it's their occupation whether good or bad - most of us in this world merely 'play games'.

Once you realise that most 'play games' it's easier to see people 'have wants' from whatever games they play; a challenge, an epic grind, idolisation, fun, social aspects to name a few - but in the end, what someone playing a game is after, is no more important than the next person. You can fool yourself that you are somehow a 'gamer', but really you just play games like most of us in order to satisfy the need you're after. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[YORHA]
Members
4,991 posts
9,972 battles
8 hours ago, USMC2145 said:

I agree, but they could make part of their games that are for only the elites. Like WG could make a ranked that you can only be in with a certain amount of games played and a 50+% win average. Give that some better rewards when ranking and a better rank one award. I think that would make the casuals upset OR would it?

Hmmmm... that sounds vaguely familiar.

But I am a little surprised how many people missed the point of what he was saying.  He was just using terminology to make a distinction between people who log in for a few games, shoot some stuff, and then move on and people who are trying to improve their technique, who want to learn and progress through the grind. No where that I can recall does he make any distinction between "elites" and "scrubs",  just the different approaches people have to the games they play.  His concern is the the game companies are catering to the casual player while ignoring the player (he calls them hardcore) that is 'committed' to improving and advancing.

Looking at the last 12 months it seems that WG is trying to make the game more accessible to the "casual" player at the expense of the long term players.  The CV rework made carriers easier. Ships like Wooster, Colbert, Thunderer,  the entire Russian BB line from tier V up, the much hated but almost universally owned Smolensk, DDs that go faster than torpedos, upcoming super Cruisers and super BBs are all designed to provide easy results without too much effort. CVs that have no counter play (sorry Notser, but they don't).

And, as he points out, this is all well and good... but what about the people who have invested time, money and effort to try to "git gud" in the game.  Where is the enjoyment for them when all someone has to to is take out their Smolensk, position next to an island, smoke up and burn you to the ground before you can even get into position to have an effect.  Or take their Kremlin and bounce every AP shell you fire while they peel off most of you health by over penning your bow.  Maybe fire up your Thunderer and sit at range and use your silly accuracy to nuke ships that have no chance to retaliate. Or CVs...

WG does not have to listen to us and if they ignore us they will probably be fine in the long run.  But it sometimes seem like a betrayal of the people who made this game viable in the first place. the people who supported this game to get it to the point it is today.  The people who spent money with WG and kept this game going during it's long development cycle.  They seem to be being left behind.

And that is sad.

Edited by JCC45
  • Cool 1

Members
1,674 posts
12,330 battles
13 hours ago, Raytesh said:

Thing is as companies move towards being more inclusive you see their stocks drop like rocks and new game releases just completely bomb.    "Single player is dead."  EA just had to eat a huge pile of crow over that with their newest SW game. 

You do know the newest star wars game has out sold the previous battlefronts

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/69442/jedi-fallen-order-sold-twice-many-launch-copies-battlefront-ii/index.html

Edited by LadyAnesjka

[O_O]
Members
673 posts
1 hour ago, LadyAnesjka said:

You do know the newest star wars game has out sold the previous battlefronts

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/69442/jedi-fallen-order-sold-twice-many-launch-copies-battlefront-ii/index.html

He his saying that EA has been downplaying the popularity of single player games in favor of online "games as a service", then they release the Jedi game and it does phenomenal...now EA looks stupid aka "eating crow"

Members
1,674 posts
12,330 battles
3 minutes ago, Rustyhole said:

He his saying that EA has been downplaying the popularity of single player games in favor of online "games as a service", then they release the Jedi game and it does phenomenal...now EA looks stupid aka "eating crow"

oh okej, i lose it in understanding then, is okej

0 posts
15 hours ago, USMC2145 said:

This video explains so much why this forum is filled with the threads it is filled with

the video is about mobile gamers = the filthy casuals ruining gaming.

WOWS has no mobile gamers. 

[YORHA]
Members
4,991 posts
9,972 battles
9 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Di you actually watch the video, because...

[TDRB]
Members
5,116 posts
13,727 battles
2 hours ago, JCC45 said:

Hmmmm... that sounds vaguely familiar.

But I am a little surprised how many people missed the point of what he was saying.  He was just using terminology to make a distinction between people who log in for a few games, shoot some stuff, and then move on and people who are trying to improve their technique, who want to learn and progress through the grind. No where that I can recall does he make any distinction between "elites" and "scrubs",  just the different approaches people have to the games they play.  His concern is the the game companies are catering to the casual player while ignoring the player (he calls them hardcore) that is 'committed' to improving and advancing.

Looking at the last 12 months it seems that WG is trying to make the game more accessible to the "casual" player at the expense of the long term players.  The CV rework made carriers easier. Ships like Wooster, Colbert, Thunderer,  the entire Russian BB line from tier V up, the much hated but almost universally owned Smolensk, DDs that go faster than torpedos, upcoming super Cruisers and super BBs are all designed to provide easy results without too much effort. CVs that have no counter play (sorry Notser, but they don't).

And, as he points out, this is all well and good... but what about the people who have invested time, money and effort to try to "git gud" in the game.  Where is the enjoyment for them when all someone has to to is take out their Smolensk, position next to an island, smoke up and burn you to the ground before you can even get into position to have an effect.  Or take their Kremlin and bounce every AP shell you fire while they peel off most of you health by over penning your bow.  Maybe fire up your Thunderer and sit at range and use your silly accuracy to nuke ships that have no chance to retaliate. Or CVs...

WG does not have to listen to us and if they ignore us they will probably be fine in the long run.  But it sometimes seem like a betrayal of the people who made this game viable in the first place. the people who supported this game to get it to the point it is today.  The people who spent money with WG and kept this game going during it's long development cycle.  They seem to be being left behind.

And that is sad.

Warships is a unique game in that it is one of the more difficult to play games. Yes, WG has made some tweaks, and in the context of the CV much more than a tweak, to allow the some casual player to enjoy this game. But overall Warships is far from a casual shootum up game.

When a new game is released the first group of players learn the game together. As it grows older the now veteran players see more & more new players who do not know the game the experience gap widens. It is my opinion this is were Warships is now. And the simple fact is there are now more "newer" players so the game seem to be regressing to many of the veteran players.

0 posts
15 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Di you actually watch the video, because...

I have done so, I am not criticizing the video, but the statement by the OP

16 hours ago, USMC2145 said:

This video explains so much why this forum is filled with the threads it is filled with. 

to quote the concluding statement by the video creator "If you are on a mobile, you are not a gamer and your views should not be taken in consideration when balancing games."

edit : but I'll add, this video is years too late, complaining about how developers have been "normalizing" their titles to "reduce skill gaps" (here in reponse to the commercial demands of mobile gaming). What was the CV Rework about?

Members
263 posts
2,829 battles
26 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

*cough*

Azuma_PR.thumb.jpg.68fca2e9a4404a007913307d7fe02667.jpg

Gonna have to dispute that one chief.

Also as someone who plays WoWs what I would consider casually and was drawn over by a mobile game collab, I think my gameplay record speaks for itself.

0 posts
3 minutes ago, Enpra said:

*cough*

Azuma_PR.thumb.jpg.68fca2e9a4404a007913307d7fe02667.jpg

Gonna have to dispute that one chief.

Also as someone who plays WoWs what I would consider casually and was drawn over by a mobile game collab, I think my gameplay record speaks for itself.

You filthy casual you!

But hey, even if you play mobile games elsewhere (I do...on bluestacks) when you play WOWS you do so on a PC, not on a mobile, so according to the logic of the video you are not a filthy mobile casual, around here.

But hey, afyer playing a mobile game, remember to wash your hands before logging on to the NA WOWS forum/ :Smile_teethhappy:

[YORHA]
Members
4,991 posts
9,972 battles
4 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I have done so, I am not criticizing the video, but the statement by the OP

to quote the concluding statement by the video creator "If you are on a mobile, you are not a gamer and your views should not be taken in consideration when balancing games."

The video is about how developers are catering more and more to the casual market at the expense of the veteran players.  And the video is correct, as is the assertion you quoted.

In little words developers are dumbing down existing games to court casual players and abandoning the long term players that made the game viable in the first place.  It is exceedingly short term thinking.  Casual gamers are just that.  They will play a game for a while, maybe drop a little money on it, but then move on to the next bright shiny game that the internet is all agog over. So the developer has a dilemma.  They can make the game even dumber to try to keep  the funnel full of casual players or they can let the game die, because by the time you reach the second or third level of dumbing down the people who have supported the game from the beginning have moved on.

Want some proof?

Look at how many of the really well known WoWs CCs and Streamers are now experimenting with other games or types of content..  Flamu is running almost as many videos as games and is streaming some Space Mining game..  iChase is streaming weeb games some nights.  Flambass is streaming GTFO almost as much as WoWs. Out of Izolate's last 10 streams 2 were WoWs.  MrMacavity is running about 50% WoWs in his streams.  RogueMonkey is streaming Farm Simulator... FARM SIMULATOR FER CHRISSAKES.

These guys are the ones who built the WoWs brand and they are moving away from it.  I am not saying the canary is dead, but it is wobbling on it's perch.

0 posts
2 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

The video is about how developers are catering more and more to the casual market at the expense of the veteran players.

quick survey :

did you support the CV rework?

Answer, yes or no.