You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shaddowze

Friendly Reminder To DD Players: Turn off yer AA at the beginning of a match.

72 comments in this topic

Members
61 posts
3,280 battles
1 minute ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Sadly, many DDs never learn.

I typically mention it during a match. No reason not to type out a quick advisory. Try it if you don't say it regular.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles

They can also sail back to their team for AA and not cap or spot right? :Smile_medal: Who wants DD to actually do things right?

• Boring 1

Members
61 posts
3,280 battles
1 minute ago, Vekta408 said:

They can also sail back to their team for AA and not cap or spot right? :Smile_medal: Who wants DD to actually do things right?

Do you play DDs? They are pretty fast. Slow ones are like 35 knots iirc. 

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,225 battles
6 minutes ago, Shaddowze said:

I typically mention it during a match. No reason not to type out a quick advisory. Try it if you don't say it regular.

True enough. I'll try it in team chat, though. I feel I'd just be making things harder for myself if I do it in all chat. :Smile_teethhappy:

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles
Just now, Shaddowze said:

Do you play DDs? They are pretty fast. Slow ones are like 35 knots iirc. 

Feel free to check my profile.

The only DD that are practical for doing the things people expect DD to do are the ones that go over 40 knots. Even then you still get punished for doing anything useful.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,225 battles
4 minutes ago, Vekta408 said:

CVs can only be in so many places at once. Once you know the CV's planes aren't local, all you have to fear is radar and other DDs. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 3

Members
61 posts
3,280 battles

CVs can only be in so many places at once. Once you know the CV's planes aren't local, all you have to fear is radar and other DDs. :Smile_teethhappy:

Yup. It is touch and go. Sometimes planes are far off, or the CV mains TBs and DBs not planes. Multi CV matches are a different beast though.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles

It's not like the CV can't just decide to have his planes that fly at over 100 knots come after you after it gets bored.  You can play around radar with baiting and cover. You can shoot back at the other DD.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,225 battles
1 minute ago, Shaddowze said:

Yup. It is touch and go. Sometimes planes are far off, or the CV mains TBs and DBs not planes. Multi CV matches are a different beast though.

Even as a CV main, I hate multiple CV matches, honestly. :Smile_teethhappy: It's just annoying keeping track of all those fighters and whose is whose, as that can be the difference between losing a squad or not if there's an Enterprise involved that knows where to put a fighter and when.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,917 posts
8,200 battles

An addition to the OP is to keep your AA off in smoke, especially if you insist on sitting still.

DBs aren't a big problem, but TBs (and maybe rocket planes, but I haven't yet tried them in this fashion) can use the constant stream of AA tracers as an aimpoint, just like somebody using a spotter plane and guns.

And the perspective makes it even easier, as from the plane's view, the tracers all radiate out from a single point.

• Cool 1

Members
61 posts
3,280 battles
3 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Even as a CV main, I hate multiple CV matches, honestly. :Smile_teethhappy: It's just annoying keeping track of all those fighters and whose is whose, as that can be the difference between losing a squad or not if there's an Enterprise involved that knows where to put a fighter and when.

I like more planes but lack of good fighters can still lead to low CV plane kills. 

1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

An addition to the OP is to keep your AA off in smoke, especially if you insist on sitting still.

DBs aren't a big problem, but TBs (and maybe rocket planes, but I haven't yet tried them in this fashion) can use the constant stream of AA tracers as an aimpoint, just like somebody using a spotter plane and guns.

And the perspective makes it even easier, as from the plane's view, the tracers all radiate out from a single point.

CVs also look where friendly torps hit or miss in smoke for cues :D

Edited by Shaddowze

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,225 battles
Just now, Vekta408 said:

It's not like the CV can't just decide to have his planes that fly at over 100 knots come after you after it gets bored.  You can play around radar with baiting and cover. You can shoot back at the other DD.

Which you have smoke for if the CV is going to be a problem. It's not just an offensive tool, after all.

It still takes a CV a good chunk of time to get from A to C, too. By the time they arrive, you may have even already capped. As such, the CV may not even come, if they feel they won't do anything about it and are busy elsewhere. Once the cap flips, half of the CV's reason for being there is just plain gone, and there's rarely just 1 DD to worry about in a given match. Rather than fruitlessly chase something you may not be able to prevent, it's often more productive to influence the cap actually local to you.

Not only that, but CVs can make mistakes just like anyone else, and may not notice instantly. For every CV above 50% WR, there's one below 50% WR. We're hardly omniscient.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles
17 minutes ago, Shaddowze said:

Even in those wait and watch where the CV's are operating and sometimes they will give you a rather large safe zone but keep an eye out for changed in their operating areas.

• Cool 1

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,702 posts

Lost track of how many DDs I've given that advice to. Leaving your AA on all the time just gives your position away to a carrier and any surface ship in gun range. Should pretty much only ever flip it on if you are spotted by a surface ship already or the CV is coming back in to make an attack run after spotting you. And in the latter case, the longer you wait to turn your AA back on the less time the CV has to adjust their aim.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,123 posts
13,731 battles
51 minutes ago, Shaddowze said:

If your AA bubble is larger than your Air Detectability consider turning off your AA to be harder to spot.

https://old.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/f8wmeb/friendly_reminder_to_dd_players_turn_off_yer_aa/

rklz0tycbxi41.jpg

No single strategy works 100% of the time. DD's are the least forgiving ships & situational awareness is paramount. 

• Boring 1

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,702 posts
6 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

No single strategy works 100% of the time. DD's are the least forgiving ships & situational awareness is paramount. 

So what, because it's not 100% effective you shouldn't bother?

Nothing is 100% effective but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. WASD hacks don't guarantee you'll always dodge torpedoes but you should still do it. Angling doesn't mean you'll always successfully bounce/ricochet AP shells but you should still try. Using DCP intelligently won't always prevent you from burning to death.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1

Members
61 posts
3,280 battles
2 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Nothing is 100% effective but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. WASD hacks don't guarantee you'll always dodge torpedoes but you should still do it. Angling doesn't mean you'll always successfully bounce/ricochet AP shells but you should still try. Using DCP intelligently won't always prevent you from burning to death.

No one is even arguing it is the golden path just people trying to score points. 

[TDRB]
Members
5,123 posts
13,731 battles
Just now, Zaydin said:

What is your problem?  No matter, I will explain my comment.

Because no strategy works 100% of the time you must adapt to the situation and act accordingly.

BTW, no where did I say, imply or even hint that turning off AA advice should be totally ignored as you took it.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,917 posts
8,200 battles
42 minutes ago, Shaddowze said:

CVs also look where friendly torps hit or miss in smoke for cues :D

Usually my luck, when I'm there, nobody shoots torps lol.

That, or my eyes are glued to the spot where I saw him stop. I get the odd good hit doing that. 

• Funny 1

[GOB]
Members
2,045 posts

A post like this one from back in my early days got me to use DDs again. Amazing how my game changed : )

• Cool 1

Members
61 posts
3,280 battles
2 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

A post like this one from back in my early days got me to use DDs again. Amazing how my game changed : )

Micro tactics ftw :D or at least some smoother(ish) sailing!