You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
jrchappe

Goliath captain skills

7 comments in this topic

[SIDE]
Members
72 posts
17,892 battles

Hello fello shippers, I'm working up the British CA line and deciding where to put my captain skills.  Am strongly considering IFHE (even with upcoming nerf) so that I can punch through all armor, even Kremlin with the 234mm guns.  But I don't have the ship yet so maybe that's not a good option.  Am open to any suggestions you guys may have.

[CS7]
Members
228 posts
3,335 battles
1 hour ago, jrchappe said:

Hello fello shippers, I'm working up the British CA line and deciding where to put my captain skills.  Am strongly considering IFHE (even with upcoming nerf) so that I can punch through all armor, even Kremlin with the 234mm guns.  But I don't have the ship yet so maybe that's not a good option.  Am open to any suggestions you guys may have.

Here is my plan for Cunningham in Goliath (once I get him)

First 10: PT, JoAT (Cunningham gets double the bonus), SI, CE

Then (in order of increasing point values): PM, EL, AR, HA, BFT

I've thought about swapping out AR and HA for IFHE, but not sure it is worth it to pen like 2 ships at the cost of half the fire.  If it wasn't Cunningham I'd keep AR and swap out JoAT and HA for IFHE.

For upgrades I'm thinking: S1 - AAM1 (almost always take this to preserve my AA mounts, but I think most folks take MAM1); S2 - DCSM1; S3 - ASM1; S4 - PM1; S5 - SGM2; S6 - GFCSM2 (AKA range mod)

However, I've had success with a stealthier approach in Albemarle: S4 - SGM1 and S5 - CSM1.

I've also though about sticking with the stock range: S3 - MBM2 and S6 - MBM3 (AKA reload mod).  I would only go this route with the stealth module.

I suspect the list of viable options will narrow down once I get to Goliath and actually get some experience playing her, but I've only made it to Albemarle so far.

Edited by Maddau
Corrected a typo.

[SIDE]
Members
72 posts
17,892 battles

thanks for the tips.  so far i'm using (with 10 point captain)

expert loader

expert marksman

superintendent

concealment

trying to decide whether or not to spec IFHE for second 4 point skill or just spare those points for more 3 or 2 skills

[ANKER]
[ANKER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
574 posts
12,883 battles

You won't need IFHE  because it will not provide to much more you can penetrate armor wise. You get 58mm on the Goliath which is plenty. My suggestion is either hit points or fire chance with jack of all trades and expertloader and preventive maintenance. 

[SIDE]
Members
72 posts
17,892 battles
24 minutes ago, Condor_Legion said:

You won't need IFHE  because it will not provide to much more you can penetrate armor wise. You get 58mm on the Goliath which is plenty. My suggestion is either hit points or fire chance with jack of all trades and expertloader and preventive maintenance. 

great thank you

[SALVO]
Members
24,852 posts
25,947 battles
29 minutes ago, Condor_Legion said:

Condor, the choice regarding IFHE isn't that simple. 

First of all, there's the upcoming IFHE rework to consider.  Secondly, if one wanted to play the Goliath in clan battles, one always needs to consider the Kremlin, which has 60mm deck armor.  And while Kremlins may not be all that common in randoms, they are fairly common in CBs.  Now, on the flip side, there's always been commander respecs before and after CBs, so one could spec into IFHE just for CBs, and spec out of it afterwards.  OTOH, considering the IFHE rework, is the ability to penetrate a Kremlin's deck worth giving up all that fire chance?  I don't know.

Members
3 posts
2,636 battles

I run mine with: preventative maintenance, JoaT, high alert, adrenaline rush, last stand, suitability expert, superintendent, and the concealment expert.

For IFHE, consider that your HE pen is 59mm. It pens everything except belt armor and Krem deck armor. But tbh, you just shoot his superstructure and watch him burn down. I find it unnecessary even fighting tier X boats. Survivability is key. In clan battles, and even in randoms, I usually take 100k+ damage, so I build for that.