You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Eckarbeiter

CV torp flood how-to

18 comments in this topic

[TARK]
Members
640 posts

How does one get a flood ribbon with a CV torpedo?

1. I don't play CVs often but have like 8 of them

2. in the last 12 games now, I have amassed 257 torpedo hits for 18 floods.  I'm usign the (2) flags that add +19% flood chance.

Is there some magical formula to get floods?  Also, why would the same number of hits from my IJN DD line be around 200 floods?

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,595 posts
13 minutes ago, Eckarbeiter said:

2. in the last 12 games now, I have amassed 257 torpedo hits for 18 floods.  I'm usign the (2) flags that add +19% flood chance.

Is there some magical formula to get floods?  Also, why would the same number of hits from my IJN DD line be around 200 floods?

every torp in the game, be it surface or air launched, has a flooding coefficient, that is in turn modified by where it hits on a ship, consumables and so forth.

the IJN DD torps happen to have something like a +300% flooding chance, whereas the CV torps are about +40%

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Flooding

[NUWES]
Members
3,139 posts
10,775 battles
16 minutes ago, Eckarbeiter said:

CV torps are a lot smaller than surface ship (or sub) torps and have smaller warheads and thus lower flood chances. You pretty much just have to keep hitting until RNGezus gives you a flood. 

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
17,366 battles

Bow hits are always going to give you a better flooding chance since the torpedo belt normally focuses the midsection of ships.  Cruisers tend to be more prone to flooding as well, due to a lack of torpedo belts.

[BEA5T]
[BEA5T]
Members
380 posts
14,442 battles
7 minutes ago, Dareios said:

every torp in the game, be it surface or air launched, has a flooding coefficient, that is in turn modified by where it hits on a ship, consumables and so forth.

the IJN DD torps happen to have something like a +300% flooding chance, whereas the CV torps are about +40%

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Flooding

Even though the wiki link shows updated as of Jan 2020 I did not see where it listed the British Tier VI Ark Royal and it torpedo capacity.  ( or did I just miss it?)  

[BONKS]
Members
1,507 posts
52 battles

Try to target the bow or stern of ships, then pray.

[QNA]
Alpha Tester
30 posts
1,068 battles

Chiming in with more of the same - just snapped off that RN mission pretty quick with an RN carrier - hits on the bow/stern (anywhere the torp protection isn’t, check armor viewer) generate pretty reliable floods; about half of those hits start flooding (before flags), it seems.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles
1 hour ago, Tzarevitch said:

CV torps are a lot smaller than surface ship (or sub) torps and have smaller warheads and thus lower flood chances. You pretty much just have to keep hitting until RNGezus gives you a flood. 

They are only a lot smaller when compared to the Long Lance. The US Mk 13 air dropped torpedo had from about 400 pounds of explosive to just over 600 pounds depending on the mod. The Mk 15 ship launched torpedo had just under 500 pounds to just over 800 pounds once again depending on the mod. Going from that TB torpedoes should do a heck of a lot more damage than they do.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
9 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

They are only a lot smaller when compared to the Long Lance. The US Mk 13 air dropped torpedo had from about 400 pounds of explosive to just over 600 pounds depending on the mod. The Mk 15 ship launched torpedo had just under 500 pounds to just over 800 pounds once again depending on the mod. Going from that TB torpedoes should do a heck of a lot more damage than they do.

The damage is lower than it should be for arbitrary balance reasons. It's a lot easier to hit with carrier torpedoes compared to ship-launched torpedoes.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles
9 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

The damage is lower than it should be for arbitrary balance reasons. It's a lot easier to hit with carrier torpedoes compared to ship-launched torpedoes.

I understand but CV torpedo damage is frustratingly low.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,220 posts
5,696 battles
2 hours ago, Eckarbeiter said:

Aerial torps are much smaller than ship ones... 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_93_torpedo
9 meters long!!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakajima_B5N
10 meters long
It gives you an idea

Note that I didn't know these torps were that different until I played this and was also wondering why DD torps are that more lethal than the plane ones:).

[BONKS]
Members
1,507 posts
52 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I understand but CV torpedo damage is frustratingly low.

Lets make a basic comparison, shall we?

A Yamato AP shell deals 14.8k damage. It is often difficult enough to get even a single one of these between your own firing position, enemy angling and maneuvering along with good old RNG.

Hakuryu drops 2 torps per attack with a total of 18.6k alpha strike. Accounting for damage saturation and TDS hitting both will typically net anywhere between 10-17k damage depending on target. If you pick your approach well getting both your torps on target is usually fairly easy due to their excellent speed and spacing. You also have no RNG to deal with whatsoever along with multiple attacks in succession that should ensure accurate hits on your subsequent strikes even if you miss your initial one.

In general an accurate TB drop typically deals as much damage as a citadel hit by a same tier BB shell which is perfectly adequate. The reason TB damage feels low is because you practically never see your strike pop up as a single big number. For example with Lexington torps you more often see 5k damage pop up 3 times in quick succession rather than the big 15k total. Meanwhile if you were to hit a target for 15k with your Lex DBs, which will almost always display as 15k and not as individual bomb damage, it just feels much more powerful even if you have literally dealt the same damage with your TBs.

So unless you mean to suggest to me that being able to get the equivalent of a BB citadel hit on a fairly reliable basis is "low" damage output it's all just in your head.

• Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Lets make a basic comparison, shall we?

A Yamato AP shell deals 14.8k damage. It is often difficult enough to get even a single one of these between your own firing position, enemy angling and maneuvering along with good old RNG.

Hakuryu drops 2 torps per attack with a total of 18.6k alpha strike. Accounting for damage saturation and TDS hitting both will typically net anywhere between 10-17k damage depending on target. If you pick your approach well getting both your torps on target is usually fairly easy due to their excellent speed and spacing. You also have no RNG to deal with whatsoever along with multiple attacks in succession that should ensure accurate hits on your subsequent strikes even if you miss your initial one.

In general an accurate TB drop typically deals as much damage as a citadel hit by a same tier BB shell which is perfectly adequate. The reason TB damage feels low is because you practically never see your strike pop up as a single big number. For example with Lexington torps you more often see 5k damage pop up 3 times in quick succession rather than the big 15k total. Meanwhile if you were to hit a target for 15k with your Lex DBs, which will almost always display as 15k and not as individual bomb damage, it just feels much more powerful even if you have literally dealt the same damage with your TBs.

So unless you mean to suggest to me that being able to get the equivalent of a BB citadel hit on a fairly reliable basis is "low" damage output it's all just in your head.

The thing is the CV player isn't even seeing those 5k numbers because of damage reduction. Death by torpedo bomber is a death of a thousand cuts.

[BONKS]
Members
1,507 posts
52 battles
9 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The thing is the CV player isn't even seeing those 5k numbers because of damage reduction. Death by torpedo bomber is a death of a thousand cuts.

~5k damage is a rather typical amount in my experience.

Though if you want something more accurate, let's pick a target. A Vladivostok has a TDS value of 26%. A Lexington torp deals 6467 alpha. That means if you get all 3 torps on target, which shouldn't be too difficult, the strike will net you around 14k damage. Since you should get 2 attacks out of your squad that's 28k damage total.

Ofc this is a rough simplification as bow/stern hits are subject to damage saturation rather than TDS but it should give you a rough idea of how much damage CV torps actually deal. It's far from low.

Edited by El2aZeR

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,467 posts
6,527 battles
5 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

~5k damage is a rather typical amount in my experience.

Though if you want something more accurate, let's pick a target. A Vladivostok has a TDS value of 26%. A Lexington torp deals 6467 alpha. That means if you get all 3 torps on target, which shouldn't be too difficult, still nets you around 14k damage. Since you should get 2 attacks out of your squad that's 28k damage total.

Ofc this is a rough simplification as bow/stern hits are subject to damage saturation rather than TDS but it should give you a rough idea of how much damage CV torps actually deal.

this....after initial runs you do have some saturation issues that have to be acknowledged, knowing where you have previously torped a ship is useful...   I generally try to target opposite sides on my 1st two goes at any ship to get best TB Alpha..  ... And of course once you start dealing with torp protection that really throws it into more than I can micro-manage.         Flooding can be pretty reliable on most ships if you can land a torp bow on or stern on as well in my experience.   

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,595 posts
9 hours ago, Noworriesderpy1 said:

Even though the wiki link shows updated as of Jan 2020 I did not see where it listed the British Tier VI Ark Royal and it torpedo capacity.  ( or did I just miss it?)  

no... but the furious shows a 45 (stock) -51% (upgraded) base chance to flood. Does it use the same as Ark?

[BONKS]
Members
1,507 posts
52 battles
2 minutes ago, Dareios said:

no... but the furious shows a 45 (stock) -51% (upgraded) base chance to flood. Does it use the same as Ark?

Well no, but actually yes.

They have different designations but the stats are the same with 5.2k alpha and 45% base flooding chance.