You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Awe5ome

Smolensk or Jean Bart?

21 comments in this topic

[-OG-]
Members
283 posts
7,721 battles

Real quick question. Given that the IFHE and armour changes are coming in 9.3 I feel as though the Smolensk won't be nearly as competitive if at all next update. However, with that said Smolensk will still have a smokescreen, 16 guns that fire every 4s, a base 10% fire chance, and still move at 36kts because screw logic. With that said Jean Bart also has some promising features, main battery reload booster, great AA, decent speed and she's a premium, unlike Smolensk which is a "special" ship. I enjoy playing both battleships and cruisers and I like to think that I'm decently skilled at playing them. So with all that out of the way players who have one or the other please let me know what your thoughts are on Jean Bart/Smolensk and which is more worth the coal, thanks.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,214 posts
9,362 battles

I've had this game today:

eHg0mqQ.jpg

So... Buy a JB, please :Smile_smile:

• Funny 3

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

If you are proficient at battleships, understand positioning, and are okay with playing a relatively static role some of the time, Jean Bart feels like cheating. She's really that good.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,150 posts
14,332 battles

I play a lot of co-op with a side order of randoms.

Smolensk is the consistently fun boat in co-op, and I almost never take her into PvP. This dilutes the ennui a great deal.

JB has, for me, been the more consistently USEFUL boat for many directives in the past five or six months.

It's a very difficult call. Do you want something that spits fire to farm main battery hits and fires? Or do you want a fast battleship - almost a battlecruiser at T9 because of the relatively low calibre guns - with a potentially VERY fearsome secondary suite? How is the rest of your fleet set up to put an optimal captain into them right away?

• Cool 1

Members
4,362 posts
11,269 battles

If you’re good at situational awareness and positioning and like battleships, JB is a strong and reliable ship. But because of the smaller guns, it NEEDS to be on a flank to do reliable damage, and after the changes it will have even more targets that can just bow in and ignore your AP. Another weakness to JB is the fact that she has the French quad turrets so you lose half your firepower when they get knocked out or destroyed, which happens a lot because they’re so wide. 

Smolensk will still probably be decent after the armor changes if only because it has the smoke screen and can abuse some islands. And once the ifhe changes go through, you’ll still set a fair number of fires with your constant stream of shells. And the changes won’t affect the psychological aspect of seeing a solid line of HE going from your ship to the enemy Smolensk.

Just keep in mind that, while Smolensk is a cruiser in game, she has DD (specifically Grozovoi) guns so she needs a dedicated captain if you don’t have a high skill DD captain to swap in. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Cool 1

Members
75 posts
8,460 battles

A well played Smolensk can cause a TREMENDOUS amount of frustration.   It is a special ship that can make an average play good IMHO.  So every time I sink one of those mother-truckers (stole from Flambass), my WoWs gaming day is complete.  So, get the Smolensk.  JB is good, but Smolensk is better, at least causing your enemies to go ape-s$@&.

Members
864 posts

I'd go with Smolensk simply because I think the likelihood of JB returning to the shop is  probably much higher than the Smolensk , you might not get another chance at getting her .

Edited by retic1959

[Y0L0W]
Members
507 posts
16,726 battles
8 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

I'd go with Smolensk simply because I think the likelihood of JB returning to the shop is  probably much higher than the Smolensk , you might not get another chance at getting her .

This is probably very true. JB never caused the poop storm Smolensk did.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

with IFHE and armor change, I don't know if either one will be worth having   .     why I am holding off on JB  till I see the result of the change

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles

IFHE nerf as proposed is going to put a real hurt on ships like Smol. JB on the other hand is consistently a great BB.  

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,773 posts
21,541 battles

I've got both and I recommend JB. I actually have a secondaries spec'd captain on her. The guns aren't German BB good but they do reach out to 10.6km after modifiers. 

[PVE]
Members
1,031 posts
8,573 battles

I have both and the Jean Bart is the overall better ship. Smolensk is better for Coop where the games are shorter and that pure dakka gets you that kill or two you need to earn a few credits. Jean Bart is better for randoms because it is more useful in more situations and it can dish out punishment in more situations.

Beta Testers
133 posts
25 minutes ago, ksix said:

IFHE nerf as proposed is going to put a real hurt on ships like Smol. JB on the other hand is consistently a great BB.  

only nooblets were running IFHE on the smolensk in the first place though

Edited by TriHard_DodgeDealership

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles
2 minutes ago, TriHard_DodgeDealership said:

only nooblets were running IFHE in the first place though

Uh, no. IFHE Smol allows it to penetrate cruiser plating. Without it you shatter on everything but DDs and superstructures. You'd be a moron to not run IFHE on Smol.

Edited by ksix

[WORX]
Members
10,675 posts
18,567 battles

JB easy... The Smol = Beyounce Wilder....

The JB= Tyson Fury...

The Smol is the Boogie man of the game... JB is the actual tough ship to face... Go with the JB,,,

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles
48 minutes ago, TriHard_DodgeDealership said:

Yuro would disagree

Eurobeat is a very good player that likes to meme and could make any build work. For the average player you'd have to be pretty moronic to run spotter plane DM or HP perk Smol. Being able to pen the bows of cruisers is very advantageous. 

Edited by ksix

[-KIA-]
Members
3,474 posts
14,834 battles

IFHE changes won't affect player running Smolensk without IFHE, so if you play non IFHE Smolensk, you can straight up ignore those changes.

But what is important to note is the armour changes. Smolensk is getting her mid section armour nerfed from 30mm to 16mm so you will no longer bounce 429mm or below shell.

As for JB the fact CA (and I think T10 CL) are getting 27mm mid section starting at T8 is a oof. Well it's not a JB issue only, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Gascogne...All 380mm gun BB will suffer from that changes. What it means is that you will have to HE spam those cruisers because there's just no way you can pen them when they're angled.

Honestly, just pick Smolensk while you can. JB is strong but not as strong as Smolensk at his own tier.