Sign in to follow this  
neptunes_wrath

War of the Worlds.....

27 comments in this topic

Members
3,089 posts
564 battles

So I came across this on my amazon firestick... New series... and so far the first two episodes are insanely good... MUCH better than the Tom Cruise re-do movie all those years ago...(Although Dakota Fanning was brilliant )
I think it is going to b e a really good series...
not much else to say about it yet... they just landed and... well I won't spoil it...

Edited by neptunes_wrath

Members
4,541 posts

Last War of the World I watched was done by the BBC.

Dakota Fanning was brilliant in that last one?  Really?  Her constant screaming made me wish for the aliens to win.

I had heard of this one but have yet to see any episodes.

[RLGN]
Members
14,310 posts
25,245 battles

Until someone does a movie based on Well’s book, without the ridiculous changes/add ons, they’ll never be any good.

The Orson Wells radio drama and the Jeff Wayne/Moody Blues/Richard Burton CD drama do the novel better justice than the ‘movies’ ever have.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,310 posts
25,245 battles
1 minute ago, Wowzery said:

Last War of the World I watched was done by the BBC.

Out of curiosity, do you mean that series called Tripods?

[GWG]
Members
6,962 posts
13,503 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Out of curiosity, do you mean that series called Tripods?

It is the greatest honor to serve the Tripods.

Gives a whole new meaning to 'Capping'.

Members
3,089 posts
564 battles

I will say that this one is likely going to be taking all sorts of "liberties" with the plot.... and not, also, likely to be anything quite like the book or radio broadcast (which was one of the most brilliant pieces of work to ever go over the airwaves ever and will forever be that piece of history, when  most of the world believed it was actually happening and is still talked about to this day as such)
I enjoyed the original movie when I was a kid... this series however is modern, it would appear, and dark, dramatic and quite graphic, as it were. And so far mostly taking place in the UK...the show and its cast anyway...(although the entire planet is involved in what happened so far)

I grew up a SCI FI junkie (still am in fact) and am pretty intrigued by this series and am hoping ep 3 comes soon... quite the cliff hanger...

Edited by neptunes_wrath

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,160 posts
19,031 battles
1 hour ago, neptunes_wrath said:

Although Dakota Fanning was brilliant

She sure was, impressed the hell out of me and raised an utterly mediocre movie to 'not that terrible actually' IMO.

As a life time fan of Jeff Wayne's musical version and the story itself I'll have to check it out, thank you.

• Cool 2

Members
48 posts
2,102 battles

Thanks for the recommendation - didn't even realize Amazon had one (despite all their nonsense ads when I'm watching something on Prime).  Will check out after finishing a few battles 

[RLGN]
Members
14,310 posts
25,245 battles
45 minutes ago, Lert said:

As a life time fan of Jeff Wayne's musical version and the story itself I'll have to check it out, thank you.

This part of the book and the CD are my faves;

None of the movies have ever had an appropriately equivalent scene; only the Radio drama has ever come close.

• Cool 1

Members
48 posts
2,102 battles
13 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

None of the movies have ever had an appropriately equivalent scene; only the Radio drama has ever come close.

Well, that might need to delay checking out the Prime series for another hour or so now :)

Members
3,380 posts
6,789 battles

There is a British Artist named: ROGER DEAN who conceptulized HG Wells alien tripod machines and wanted to produce a movie based on the book as accurately as possible using Deans artwork. But it fell through which was more than 20 years ago or more.  But Deans work quite astonishing as it was also lifted/copied  by the movie: Avatar without credits nor permission. A lawsuit has been filed but anyways here is an example of Deans concept of the alien tripod...it has a motorized canopy which swings down to land the octopus alien being onto the land. Witness the octopus tentacles hanging from the bottom of the cockpit.  

wordworldcanopy.jpg

warworld2.jpg

worldwarships.jpg

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,525 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Until someone does a movie based on Well’s book, without the ridiculous changes/add ons, they’ll never be any good.

The Orson Wells radio drama and the Jeff Wayne/Moody Blues/Richard Burton CD drama do the novel better justice than the ‘movies’ ever have.

I still root & cheer for the good ship "HMS Thunder Child"  :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Thunder_Child

Beta Testers
10,827 posts
9 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

So I came across this on my amazon firestick... New series... and so far the first two episodes are insanely good... MUCH better than the Tom Cruise re-do movie all those years ago...(Although Dakota Fanning was brilliant )
not much else to say about it yet... they just landed and... well I won't spoil it...

Is it available on Amazon Prime?  

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,160 posts
19,031 battles
9 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

9 / 10 Star Trek writers agree.

I blame this sequence in particular for my love of the tragic / romantic, heroic sacrifice in fiction This album came out when I was two, and to say I grew up with it would be an understatement.

Members
3,089 posts
564 battles
11 hours ago, Eisennagel said:

Is it available on Amazon Prime?  

as far as I know... yes..
I have Prime, perhaps that is why the episodes are free... not entirely sure... with HDcinema app on firestick, I can pretty much watch anything I want for free as it is... Picard and Mandilorian included..

[WOLFG]
Members
29,075 posts
8,322 battles
On 2/23/2020 at 6:58 PM, neptunes_wrath said:

What channel is it on?

Members
3,089 posts
564 battles
54 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

What channel is it on?

so after looking.. It's a year or two old in France (where it was filmed I gather by all the french stuff/language  going on in the show) and just released here in the US on Feb 16th, every ep is on Sunday. It is an Epix original, so I watch it on my Firestick with Amazon Prime... (I have an App on my stick, and I watched the entire series...)

[WOLFG]
Members
29,075 posts
8,322 battles
3 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

so after looking.. It's a year or two old in France (where it was filmed I gather by all the french stuff/language  going on in the show) and just released here in the US on Feb 16th, every ep is on Sunday. It is an Epix original, so I watch it on my Firestick with Amazon Prime... (I have an App on my stick, and I watched the entire series...)

Epix eh? I'll see if the ol' Roku can find it.

As an aside too, I enjoyed Falling Skies as well.

Members
3,089 posts
564 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Epix eh? I'll see if the ol' Roku can find it.

As an aside too, I enjoyed Falling Skies as well.

falling skies was AWESOME

[PVE]
Members
4,264 posts
18,653 battles

Falling skies +1 and this show I'll look for later...  Loved the original movie and the TC version was meh but, at least they tried.   Can't wait. 

[WOLF2]
Members
824 posts
18,927 battles

I have watched the first three episodes of this one on the Epix channel. It is very good.

I had to get this next one on DVD to watch it. It is good and also deals with the years after the war ends. As one character says, "you call this a victory?"

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,918 posts
26,913 battles

What about this one :Smile_glasses:

https://archive.org/details/TheGreatMartianWar19131917.Mister.X

The webpage is a bit of slow, if you watch it there, your player need to buffer a good chunk before it shows without any breaks to load. 

As an alternative, you can download it in different formats.

Sign in to follow this