You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Proaaron27

How to Japan? (Ship lines)

13 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
641 battles

I'm currently planning out the Japanese ships I should grind so I can start the Isoroku Yamamoto Campaign, but I hate most of the ship lines.

The Battleship line is currently the only line I enjoy and can play competently; Cruisers are an absolute nightmare to play (skirmishing at long-range gets me nothing in xp and credits, and anything else gets me citadeled no matter how hard I angle); and Destroyers I avoid like the plague because of their squishiness.

The hell am I supposed to do? AFAIK, I need a tier 9-10 Cruiser/DD/BB to think about grinding for the Captain. 

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
582 posts
17,506 battles
16 minutes ago, Proaaron27 said:

The hell am I supposed to do?

17 minutes ago, Proaaron27 said:

The Battleship line is currently the only line I enjoy and can play competently

You've answer your own question.

Japanese cruisers and destroyers are not easy to pick up and play. Battleships, however, are generally the same across all nations.

[WPORT]
Members
5,407 posts
10,457 battles

Ahh.  I fondly remember my early days of WOWs and learning how to play every ship and making plenty of mistakes along the way.  :-)

There are youtube videos and forum posts and wiki articles that offer lessons and insights to play every type of ship in WOWs.
Spend some time learning how the ships were used "in real life" and how people have gotten the most performance from them in the game.

Armed with knowledge, you'll likely be able to make the best decisions and be a contributor to your team and achieve your personal goals.

The Isoroku Yamamoto campaign is not easy.  I've looked at it.  And, instead, I've been doing some of the easier campaigns as a way to get some practice and improve my own game (to the point of taking on the more difficult challenges in the Yamamoto campaign).

I still make mistakes, by the way.
But, it is a game.  So, we learn from our experiences and try again.  :-)

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers
282 posts
6,728 battles

Japanese dds rely on stealth and torpedoes to do well in. If you cant land torpedo hits, you wont gave a good time. For torps, don't use the wide spread. Instead, send different sets among different segments of the indicator. This provides a tighter spread with overlapping hit chance, while the outer torps can still catch a target you mostly miss. While their guns are generally terrible and you should avoid solo fights against other dds, they do hit hard and you should use them to finish off weak targets. If you want better guns, you can switch to the gunboat line harugumo at tier 8.

For cruisers, I have less experience with them, but they generally have high speed, good torpedoes, and lots of guns, but fall flat in fire rate and turret angles. Their high fire chance and good ballistics make them good long range fire starters. As for the torps,  they're generally good, but have bad launcher angles. Send them if you can do so safely, but it's not worth showing broadside to do so. Often you'll only be able to use all your launchers while running away.

[POP]
Members
1,573 posts
22,567 battles

Watch some good players on youtube or twitch, keep learning the game.  As low as your battle count is just learning the basics of the ships and game will give you the most improvement overall right now. After you get done with a match think about what you did that did work and what didn't work and why, you will improve if you apply yourself and are honest about it. Find some experienced players who actually know the game to div with, that can help a lot as well.

Members
482 posts
13,812 battles

That campaign may be best left for later so you can play a line that better suits your style 

[PISD]
Members
1,277 posts
5,261 battles

Jap cruisers tend to be sneaky ninja. They got in general best in tier concealment for a CA, with great torp (despite poor angle), accurate guns with high fire chances and high alpha.

So, how to play them? Mostly open water, going dark when no good shot are available or when the enemy is targeting you. They are not baguette CA that can dodge with speed from range, like their DD counterparts they must use concealment to maximise their strength. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,078 posts
19,197 battles
1 hour ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

Fuso baby.

I would have gone with Nagato; liked her much better than Fuso. Personal preference.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
On 2/23/2020 at 7:08 PM, Umikami said:

I would have gone with Nagato; liked her much better than Fuso. Personal preference.

Pretty much all the Japanese BBs are good, as are the CAs and DDs.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,001 posts
14,281 battles
On 2/23/2020 at 5:18 PM, Proaaron27 said:

The hell am I supposed to do? AFAIK, I need a tier 9-10 Cruiser/DD/BB to think about grinding for the Captain. 

You need at least one Tier 8 ship of any kind, in any nation. It doesn't have to be Japanese.

As you go on, you can refine and broaden your fleet at Tier 8 or better to make some tasks potentially much easier, but any T8 will do. I put together guides for each mission and an overarching framework...

...which has links to all the individual mission guides.

At 400-odd games as I type this, you are a LONG way from being ready for Tier 8. If I were in your shoes, my first priority would be to get at least one of every ship type in port (yes, even carriers) at tier 6 or better, consolidate your skills and work up from there. If you spam more-resources crates, you will eventually be able to earn high-tier premium ships that can be run economically, and you can use these to attack the permanent campaigns.

If I were you, I would do the Science of Victory campaign first. Finish that, then think about the others.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
326 posts
13,896 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If I were you, I would do the Science of Victory campaign first. Finish that, then think about the others.

I actually think (in my opinion) that the other campaigns were somewhat easier than the Science of Victory campaign.  I'm having a heck of a time (currently) getting through the first stage of the Science campaign; but I've gotten through the Halsey, Yamamoto, etc campaigns relatively quietly (definitely not easily).  

[SIM]
Members
1,650 posts

For the IJN Cruisers, depending on which ship you have. It is best to shoot at range and remember to keep moving and turning. The torps are a last resort weapon or use as a calculated long range attack from where you are not detected. The torp angles on these IJN cruisers are horrible, range is decent.