Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Carl_the_Cuttlefish

Played all Tier X destroyers in CT

4 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
711 posts
3,773 battles

So I decided to get the test server and try out all the tier X destroyers to see which ones I liked and which ones I could pass on. After playing them all a couple of time, I ended up liking them all. They are all good if you can figure out how they jive. I was surprised how unique each one was, no two ships play similar, they are each more unique than the tanks on WOT IMO. Likewise you can spec each ship so there's different play styles on each one, but even here, whether they are spec'd gun boats or torpedo boats, none of them are good at exactly the same thing. 

In a phrase, here's how I'd describe them all:

Shimakazi: stay hidden and spam torps

Harugumo: Atlanta 2.0, incredible DPM but you have to pick wisely when to engage or you get destroyed if multiple people fire at you. Torps are good for in between HE spam escapades.

Khabarovsk: hold down left mouse button and use your positioning and movement to avoid damage. Your'e basically a cruiser so some damage is ok. 

Kleber: speedboat. You don't constantly fire like the Khab, but charge in and out of situations. It's better to charge full steam and wipe someone out with the hard hitting guns and tons of torps than sit at range and lob shells the whole game. 

Gearing: Jack of all trades, played aggressively. 

Grozovoi: Jack of all trades, but defensively. Spec for consumables it's both ultimate support ship and comfortable being by itself on the map. DPM is low and it will lose most 1v1s, but with smoke and heal it stays alive a long time and can pick up caps and rack up a lot of damage over the course of a game. Similar yet opposite playstyle from the Gearing. 

Yueyang: skirt around and look for opportunities to torp a fat boat. Engage DDs when they present themselves, but don't engage unless they're vulnerable. With incredible maneuverability and low profile to dodge shells and torps, so you don't have to stay hidden too much, you can sling some shells.

Daring: trickster. Hang out in the medium risk range and try to keep people guessing what you'll do next. You're slow so you can't scoot around the map easily to change situations, but the smokes allow you to disengage and try again when the first attempt didn't pan out. 

Z-52: Cap boss. Use engine boost immediately and rush to cap. This is the most fragile ship AND it has lower DPM so if it's spotted and people start shooting at it you're screwed, which leads some people to whine that it's underpowered. It's not; if you can architect your situation to where you're either undetected or unable to be hit, it can out DD all the other DDs and be that constantly annoying DD hovering just out of reach. Along with the Shimakazi, it's the least cruiserlike DD.

• Cool 2

[ALWC]
Members
1,180 posts
14,108 battles
8 hours ago, Carl_the_Cuttlefish said:

Grozovoi: Jack of all trades, but defensively. Spec for consumables it's both ultimate support ship and comfortable being by itself on the map. DPM is low and it will lose most 1v1s, but with smoke and heal it stays alive a long time and can pick up caps and rack up a lot of damage over the course of a game. Similar yet opposite playstyle from the Gearing. 

Z-52: Cap boss. Use engine boost immediately and rush to cap. This is the most fragile ship AND it has lower DPM so if it's spotted and people start shooting at it you're screwed, which leads some people to whine that it's underpowered. It's not; if you can architect your situation to where you're either undetected or unable to be hit, it can out DD all the other DDs and be that constantly annoying DD hovering just out of reach. Along with the Shimakazi, it's the least cruiserlike DD.

1. DDs 1st need to spot. Keep ships spotted for big guns behind you. Outside of Kleb and Khab all dds can stalk and torp. 

2. in the age of radar/cv rushing to the cap early is quick death. 

Groz with the flat gun arcs like to fight at distances that are uncomfortable for most dds. Daring and gearing win inside 6 km but extending the range Groz wins. However with the UU the Groz can our gun any dd. 

52 while having great cap skills before radar still has these tools. I find her better at stalking torping and smoking and using hydro to gun down cruisers and bbs. Great boat but don’t over extend from support, I love to set up in front of my bbs, make contact with red bbs or cruisers, smoke and gun and torp the reds. 

Alpha Tester
711 posts
3,773 battles
On 2/23/2020 at 8:15 PM, wstugamd said:

1. DDs 1st need to spot. Keep ships spotted for big guns behind you. Outside of Kleb and Khab all dds can stalk and torp. 

2. in the age of radar/cv rushing to the cap early is quick death. 

Groz with the flat gun arcs like to fight at distances that are uncomfortable for most dds. Daring and gearing win inside 6 km but extending the range Groz wins. However with the UU the Groz can our gun any dd. 

52 while having great cap skills before radar still has these tools. I find her better at stalking torping and smoking and using hydro to gun down cruisers and bbs. Great boat but don’t over extend from support, I love to set up in front of my bbs, make contact with red bbs or cruisers, smoke and gun and torp the reds. 

The question is how they spot, whether they they flank, island hide, or kite. It plays into a part of the grander strategy. It's not always instant death to rush caps, but it's not a viable strategy every game, there's an art to deciding when you jump into the pool so to speak. 

The difference between the Groz and the knife fighters is it usually ends up being a fight to the death when you get close while distance fights are off and on again, resulting in very different playstyles. 

[CAST]
Members
4,997 posts
3,513 battles

Z-52 *used* to play like that. But radar has become universal and it's very very rare for a DD to not get quickly radared in cap at the start of the match. So it's 6km Hydro is only useful later in the match when half the ships are dead and the rest are spread out enough so you can 1 on 1 a DD if it doesn't have support. Unless that DD is a Daring that can dodge all your torps, rush you in smoke, and MASSIVELY out dpm you with no chance of survival whatsoever on your part.

Poor Z-52. But a shell of it's former self.

Sign in to follow this